Sea of thieves was never meant to be reviewed as a 60$ game.

• 82 results
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

How many times I heard now , a 60$ game, boy sea of thieves would be so good if it was only 15$. Well sea of thieves can be played for 5 bucks, and for that you can get a access to a ton of other games as well, through the gamepass. You even get a discount of 20 percent if you want to buy sea of thieves.

Sure the gamepass is only a month, but if you never tried it, you get 14 day free trial as well.

Is sea of thieves going to get extra content who knows, but you can get on a ship right now with your friends for next to nothing, grind for some ammo (cannonballs or bullets) healthpacks (bananas), planks (to keep your ship from sinking) and sink other players ships. Because in the end that was the whole point of this game in the first place.

Sure i'll get sick of it in a month , maybe even a week, or a day, but who cares, still got a ton of other games to try out, all for that measily 5$, or even free.

and if you really like the game so much, oh well, I guess you can pay another 5$ or maybe you can even buy it.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

How does the GP work? Are the games changed each month meaning you have 30/31 days to complete the game or what?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

As long as they charge $60 for it at retail it should be reviewed as a $60 game. I can rent other $60 games with GameFly and they aren’t reviewed on a curve. This thread sounds like damage control.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@quadknight said:

As long as they charge $60 for it at retail it should be reviewed as a $60 game. I can rent other $60 games with GameFly and they aren’t reviewed on a curve. This thread sounds like damage control.

Yep, they wanted to charge 60 dollars, so they reap what they sew.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Charge $60, get reviewed as a $60 game. Simple as that.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

yea they are selling it as a 60 dollar game, its a legit criticism

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

They're charging 60.....

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Your going to need two to three more lems with buckets to save this game from hitting the sea bed... Just like in Sea of Thieves not much is going to happen with you by your self.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

It probably should have been like PUBG, and released in Early Access and have a $30 price point or something... and slowly updated over time. Then once all the major content has been added, do a "full" retail release.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

"Boy sea of thieves would be so good if it was only 15$" That statement is ridiculous to begin with, reviews now a day are a joke, to much money behind the industry.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Your going to need two to three more lems with buckets to save this game from hitting the sea bed... Just like in Sea of Thieves not much is going to happen with you by your self.

? Savage

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@commander said:

How many times I heard now , a 60$ game, boy sea of thieves would be so good if it was only 15$. Well sea of thieves can be played for 5 bucks, and for that you can get a access to a ton of other games as well, through the gamepass. You even get a discount of 20 percent if you want to buy sea of thieves.

Sure the gamepass is only a month, but if you never tried it, you get 14 day free trial as well.

Is sea of thieves going to get extra content who knows, but you can get on a ship right now with your friends for next to nothing, grind for some ammo (cannonballs or bullets) healthpacks (bananas), planks (to keep your ship from sinking) and sink other players ships. Because in the end that was the whole point of this game in the first place.

Sure i'll get sick of it in a month , maybe even a week, or a day, but who cares, still got a ton of other games to try out, all for that measily 5$, or even free.

and if you really like the game so much, oh well, I guess you can pay another 5$ or maybe you can even buy it.

thats some serious damage control

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

What a ridiculously stupid thread.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#14 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@commander: Dude don't waste your time. People aren't wrong, the game needs more content. But people that want to hate it will hate it no matter what logic you present them with. I don't hate it, i have fun with it with friends on Saturday afternoon and will probably see it grow. I've been doing so since Feb 2017. I'm not going to play it every night, there isn't much reason to lol.

But most of the people that hate it probably haven't played it at all. This is SW after all.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

@cainetao11 said:

@commander: Dude don't waste your time. People aren't wrong, the game needs more content. But people that want to hate it will hate it no matter what logic you present them with. I don't hate it, i have fun with it with friends on Saturday afternoon and will probably see it grow. I've been doing so since Feb 2017. I'm not going to play it every night, there isn't much reason to lol.

But most of the people that hate it probably haven't played it at all. This is SW after all.

That's dismissive of you, implying that most of the hate for the game is from people who haven't played it?... If that where the case the scores for the game would have been higher and many youtubers who review/preview games would have better opinions on the game.

The only time wasting involving this game is the fanboys trying to convince the rest of us that a game with no content is worth $60. Its not going to happen, we just are not that desperate for a new game I have FarCry 5 installing at the moment too little time and I'd rather spend my money on a finished product than a game that is a "wait and see" type of deal.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#16 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

It should be reviewed in relation to its stated goals. Its stated goals can be found in the advertising material from the publisher.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

It sells as a full-price game... Regardless of Game Pass.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Why does the price of the game matter? Was Journey reviewed on a curve? PUBG got some GOTY awards and wasn’t full price on PC or even 1.0 on console.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Oh man, I can't wait for a week to pass when it finally sinks in that all this defense is for a game that isn't worth it.

I had to learn the hard way with No Mans Sky. You got duped. Bad.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I get what you're saying but I think what you are implying is more along the lines of " the game was not meant to be a 60$ game at launch", therefore the criticism around that aspect, despite the highly publicized alternative Game pass pricing, is valid.

Me personally I was not too surprised at what I got, I wanted there to be more in terms of progression, but personally I am fine with the price as I already played it a lot since launch and I am not bored with it at all. I love the core gameplay with a group and it is the most relaxing game I have, being at Sea just feels so good.

I suspected that because of their messaging(we will keep supporting it over a long period, etc.) and the fact it was a new IP MMO launch(a massive undertaking compared to other types of games), the game would be light on initial content. But I don't represent the mainstream individual, I Can understand the reviewers wanting to get that point across that if you pay 60$, be aware of this , etc., then that person reading the review can go "oh so the main negative is the price point? Ok then I will get it at launch but through Gamepass instead..."

So I love the game so far but I totally understand the mixed reviews, not worried about that. Looking forward to seeing it grow, I really enjoy the core gameplay at sea.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cainetao11

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: That's dismissive of you, implying that most of the hate for the game is from people who haven't played it?... "

Yes it sure is. I'm not new to this forum. This has been my findings collected over twelve years. You don't like it? Fart in your hand about, i don't care.

Show me where i tried to convince anyone anything about the game please. What do you have your period?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By commander
@Solaryellow said:

How does the GP work? Are the games changed each month meaning you have 30/31 days to complete the game or what?

you can use you credit card or just buy a code, games are not changed each month but if a game will leave the game pass there's a considerable time window. You also get a discount on those games if you want to buy them. I think it's 20 percent overall.

Games are added as well.

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@quadknight said:

Yep, they wanted to charge 60 dollars, so they reap what they sew.

@so_hai said:

It should be reviewed in relation to its stated goals. Its stated goals can be found in the advertising material from the publisher.

Sea of thieves was advertised in the xbox store as free with game pass, and this already months before release date. The price was not advertised as with other games.

Comparing this with renting is ridiculous, there are more than a hundred games in the gamepass. You ain't going to be able to rent a game for 5$ a whole month either.

I actually started playing other games than sea of thieves because of the gamepass.

Not to mention new games never come onto a subscription service like this. This is kinda of a special case, hence the statement that it was never meant to be reviewed as such.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By commander
@cainetao11 said:

@Alucard_Prime:

I understand these arguments but look at it from the point of view of someone that wants to play sea of thieves but thinks it's too expensive, like myself, I don't care much for the extra content, I just want to do some ship battles.

The gamepass is an ideal way to play it was also advertised as such. If I renew it it probably won't be because of sea of thieves. I never thought of this as a 60$ game and neither do my friends, it's an arcadey game in between, and it gave me chance to familiarize with the game pass, which is a great thing to be honest.

It certainly gives you the option to keep you busy between those major releases. Who cares I only play a game for a couple of hourse, there's more where that came from, and all that for a few bucks.

Heck you even get a 14 day trial, to me this whole 'the game has not enough content for 60$' sounds like people that don't have an xbox. Even if you buy it after you tried it with the gamepass, you still pay less than 60 bucks in total because you get a 20 percent discount, you know exactly what you're buying, and you have a month of free games on top of that.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Alucard_Prime

@commander: In that sense, I think most people who were interested in it will realize they could still play it via GP, despite some of the medicore reviews they might have read. So it's just to say that I don't think the negative reviews will convince people not to play it that way either.... I don't believe the negative reviews had much of an impact in that sense as many of them even mentioned the GP alternative.

To have avoided this criticism, what they could have done is more explicitly talk about it on the game packaging itself, have a clearer message about the whole thing.....like "This is just the start of the adventure you are getting at launch, expect 3 large expansions every 4 months" ...that kind of thing.

Paradocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Paradocs
Member since 2015 • 264 Posts

Then why was it $60?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By commander

@Alucard_Prime said:

@commander: In that sense, I think most people who were interested in it will realize they could still play it via GP, despite some of the medicore reviews they might have read. So it's just to say that I don't think the negative reviews will convince people not to play it that way either.... I don't believe the negative reviews had much of an impact in that sense as many of them even mentioned the GP alternative.

To have avoided this criticism, what they could have done is more explicitly talk about it on the game packaging itself, have a clearer message about the whole thing.....like "This is just the start of the adventure you are getting at launch, expect 3 large expansions every 4 months" ...that kind of thing.

but that doesn't even matter, more content would of course be good for people that expect this, but me and my friends never expected any more from this.

What every reviewer/system warrior is clearly missing here is that the gamepass is a subscription service, and sea of thieves is one of the names to familiarize xbox players with it.

Complaining about 60$ is similar as complaining that the blue ray box of stranger things costs too much while you can watch it on netflix.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

Now that is what I call premium damage control.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Alucard_Prime

@commander: ok so they should have reviewed it as a Game Pass title for what it is right now, I get what you're saying and many reviewers gave it a positive score, but I cannot blame the ones who did not, for reviewing it at a 60$ price point in its current state since the game is available at that price point, and Rare did say they would be supporting it over a long period of time. So not even Rare are saying " This is all we have to offer, it's just part of Gamepass" ....they are saying they plan on expanding it continuously over time, so myself and many others factored that into the 60$ price point.

Me personally, I am fine with its current state because I had told myself while playing the beta that might be all we will get, and I really like goofing around in the Sea. But I am definitely hoping, because I enjoy the game so much, that more will be added over time.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Still in the bargaining phase of grief I see.

Next comes depression, when the 2 week pass is up and everyone drops this game like a sack of fat potatoes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#30 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

Then don't sell it as one.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Reviews are only a minority and the gaming press is biased against MS and people come at them with pitch forks.

Example:

1. GT Sport review delayed on release day because no multiplayer

2.MLB The Show 18-the bad only mentions no online franchise mode. Go follow MLB The Show Streamers partnered with sony taking in ps4 share videos of fielding/pathing errors, stats getting reset, odd quirks like pitcher going through motion and not pitching the ball and etc....

No need to worry about what the media reviewers do. There are more gamers than reviewers who can make up there own mind about games and you're seeing that first hand with Sea of Thieves.

Haters will only be the minority, holding onto the only ammo they have, someone elses review or sales. Sea of thieves coud hit 4 million players, yet the haters will still be clinging onto review scores or sales.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cainetao11

@commander: Pretty much. 2 week free.trial or a ten dollar bill for a month of more than 100 games and you can try sea of thieves.

Like i said there isn't enough to play this game every day lol. It's something me and friends jump into on the weekend then we'll do so again the next one.

If you hate it, knock yourself out hate it. Cry from the mountain tops or into your pillows, I'm not gonna give a shit. This SW and in 12 years posting regularly here majority of what i read from people is bitching and crying, telling others they are wrong for not liking the same thing, hyperbole and fanboy bullshit.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 commander

@cainetao11: I pay 3.75 euros for a month of gamepass.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cainetao11

@commander: Congrats.

Point stands, if someone doesn't want to pay $60 they do not have to. I just think the whole thing is laughable. I can only speak for me, but i always gave feedback while in the alpha last year. I repeatedly stated the game needs more and it needs urgency like a CPU faction. I guess they didn't care what i had to say. Sucks but that's life. It isn't crucial to me living my life.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@goldenelementxl: PUBG was and is $30. That is it's full price. It's not in beta or early access on PC anymore and is still $30.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Member when Lems hyped GamePass as a cheap way to get AAA $60 games? Now it's "Hey guys, it's only a $5 game."

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

I used a free 14 days gamepass trial. No regrets!

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#38  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's much more expensive elsewhere... but yes they shouldn't have sold it for $60+ in the first place. If they had made it game pass exclusive I don't think reviewers would have reviewed it as such... But the expectations they build up and having Rare at the wheel and their early showing would have still let to many reviewers wondering what they've been doing the past 3 years, where the content is.

The base of the game seems very well put together so I don't think they could have avoided people wondering why they didn't do more with it.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I'm doing to do the trial soon, but when it ends, I doubt I'll be paying for more than one extra month if even that. I have all the other MS games and I don't care to rent them. I may pick up Sea of Thieves somewhere down the line for 25 bucks or so, but the 60 dollar price tag is just too much, and renting games feels like a waste of money for the most part.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts

Paying money to get a discount to pay more money to buy a game ?

Sounds awesome !

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

It's being sold at 60 bucks. C'mon, now.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#42 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Paying money to get a discount to pay more money to buy a game ?

Sounds awesome !

Pretty much

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@goldenelementxl: I think you're really missing the point, like wow it's so far over your head it might as well be the moon.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

MP only games can never be more than 15 bucks. NEVER!!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

It wouldn't matter if they gave the game away. SoT (just like most MS IP's this gen) was targeted to be mugged by 90% of the gaming media.

Fake News, Fake Reviews, Fake Narratives... Eh, Fake it all these dark dayzzz. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@vfighter: No, I totally get it. Angry Joe even said that if the game was cheaper, it would have scored higher. That’s beyond stupid. And people here are acting like there is some $60 category of game reviews.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

So when are Microsoft refunding everyone who paid $60, $55 then?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

@vfighter: No, I totally get it. Angry Joe even said that if the game was cheaper, it would have scored higher. That’s beyond stupid. And people here are acting like there is some $60 category of game reviews.

Joe said the same to No Man's Sky review and he's not even wrong on both accounts. $60 for little to no content is really pushing into today's gaming and $30 for both Sea of Thieves & No Man's Sky would have all been forgiving.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

What a load of hooey. A lower cost would soften the blow of money wasted for those who don't like it, not make it better.

I completely disagree that games should get a pass because they are cheaper, and in this case you're taking an expensive game, jumping through hoops to pretend it's a $5 game, and THEN applying the argument that it should be given an easier grade because it's a "$5 mobile app type investment"

Give me a break

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@cainetao11: Oooh... I like you. Nice level of grit on you.