Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Apparently, this scalper thinks he’s doing us a favour and doesn’t deserve to be seen as a ‘bad guy’ - https://www.cnet.com/news/playstation-5-scalpers-say-theyre-tired-of-being-seen-as-bad-guys/

Takes arrogance to the next level, doesn’t it?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Not on scalpers side or anything, but scalpers exist only because of buyers. They have a choice to not get PS5s for 999 dollars from scalpers, but they have clearly chosen. Have fun with this being a thing forever, consumers.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Scalpers couldn't scalp without a place to scalp. eBay, Amazon, Facebook, all incentivize scalpers by allowing them to sell products at prices well above MSRP. If they had rules against it, 99% of scalpers would have no place to sell them.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

The spineless buyers that feed into scalper’s prices don’t help. Just pre order and be patient.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

The scalper, identified only as Jordan, said nobody complains when a grocery store buys milk from a farmer and resells it for twice as much.

Yes, nice analogy failure there. The farmers don't have a direct storefront, their customer is the retailers. You're making sure the stores are never supplied with milk at MSRP and selling it for twice/3x more. What they're doing isn't wrong, but they're gonna have to get used to taking the heat when you're gatekeeping to line your own pockets over highly anticipated items. Man up.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

They would not exist if idiots didn’t buy the products for stupid price’s

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I don’t understand why people need to play the victim with everything.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts
@goldenelementxl said:

I don’t understand why people need to play the victim with everything.

Coping mechanism. Piece of shit, but don't really want to acknowledge it. So... "other bad things happen"... "Hitler liked dogs".....

Am I good now?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I wish scalpers and the people who buy from them all choke to death, no beating around the bush from me.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

selling the new consoles as part of a bundle only is f#%king low aswell..optional yea but not with an extra controller for £500 like GAME have been doing...twats

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

lol really...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Litchie

@bluestars said:

selling the new consoles as part of a bundle only is f#%king low aswell..optional yea but not with an extra controller for £500 like GAME have been doing...twats

GAME still exists? lol. Funny that the store manage to survive solely on people who have no idea they're being scammed. There's enough parents and grandparents in the world buying things for their kids, I guess. "Oh, you want 80 bucks for this game? Ok, I'm sure that's what it costs normally, here you go".

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@vfighter said:

I wish scalpers and the people who buy from them all choke to death, no beating around the bush from me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@vfighter said:

I wish scalpers and the people who buy from them all choke to death

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

Just read the article, always hillarious funny ( and stupid) when people try and justify their douchebag moves instead of just owning up to it and saying no laws are broken so I don’t care about being a prick when I earn a few dollars!

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#18 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Excuse me while I go find a drawing pin and a microscope so I could press F on the world's smallest keyboard.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#19 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Don't be a scumbag and you WON'T get bad press.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Wow, what a clown. GTFOH 😅

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I don't believe this. This is Protoss level of fake complaing to get attention, which they got.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

What I don't like in the media about this is the bias and big corporations that have been scalping people for decades. Where is the outrage against telecommunications companies, banks, big pharma etc? If I didn't have health insurance one of my prescriptions would cost over $300 for one refill, banks still have service fees if you dont have enough money in them, US citizens pay 3 to 4 times per gig of data compared with many other countries. So again where is the outrage? Hard to blame scalpers for making money like this during a pandemic in a capitalist society. It would be different if these were essential commodities but they are not. People need to get used to these new prices as they are not coming down anytime soon. Still can't believe how lucky I was to get a 3070 on launch day by just walking into a micro center, entire build would have been screwed.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I still feel both MS and Sony should be making a loyalty prioritization for their base. For instance, give people prioritization to order based on maintained XBLG/PS+ subscriptions, tracked digital spending, possibly social metrics (because gamers who game with friends will get their friends to get the same system, possibly). The average attach rates for gaming consoles (at best, depending on console) averages 10 games per system sold so the gamer who buys more than this should easily be at front of line when they want to claim theirs.

If people want to flip their access to these systems than so be it. But better that than any ass hat holding all of these.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Are scalpers "bad guys", or are they simply savvy businessmen taking advantage of a profitable market? The only reason they exist is because there is a demand. Think about it: if there weren't customers willing to play a scalper's marked-up prices, then the scalper industry would disappear overnight.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: I hope scalpers burn in hell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@dzimm: are savvy businessman good guys?

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

How can I help people who do garbage things feel better about themselves ...is the question we should all be asking

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dzimm
@wonderwinner said:

Scalpers are not doing anything illegal, and they are not depriving people of essential goods, so, no, not particularly bad. They're just taking advantage of idiots willing to buy products at double the retail price. Is it immoral or unethical to prey on the gullible? I think that's a grey area.

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

dumb people gonna dumb

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

@Litchie:

they would give ps and xbox online store a run for their money in the too expensive stakes..they were on their arses but the fat mess mike ashley bought them out.hah

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Eoten

@lamprey263 said:

I still feel both MS and Sony should be making a loyalty prioritization for their base. For instance, give people prioritization to order based on maintained XBLG/PS+ subscriptions, tracked digital spending, possibly social metrics (because gamers who game with friends will get their friends to get the same system, possibly). The average attach rates for gaming consoles (at best, depending on console) averages 10 games per system sold so the gamer who buys more than this should easily be at front of line when they want to claim theirs.

If people want to flip their access to these systems than so be it. But better that than any ass hat holding all of these.

All they would have to do is have a special pre-order limited to PSN and XBL subscribers that have been active for a year first. And then XBL and PSN customers that have subscribed for a year. Limited one per account and continue that until such pre-orders are no longer maxed out.

Between Xbox and Sony, first one to do something like that would score big with consumers.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Eoten
@dzimm said:
@wonderwinner said:

Scalpers are not doing anything illegal, and they are not depriving people of essential goods, so, no, not particularly bad. They're just taking advantage of idiots willing to buy products at double the retail price. Is it immoral or unethical to prey on the gullible? I think that's a grey area.

Unfortunately though there are millions of people who are not gullible enough to pay scalper prices who don't even have the opportunity to own one of these consoles because of scalpers and the gullible. They create a demand to pressure people to pay those prices and gullible people incentivize them to do so but really it's the third party who isn't going to pay those prices, but can't find them in stock who are having the most trouble and that is why Playstation and Xbox should do something for them.

But since neither company cared enough to do anything about it last generation, don't expect them to give a shit this generation either, or next. And the fact they won't do anything means more people will scramble on the pre-orders next time making each consecutive generation worse until something is done.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

At first I was a bit shocked, but then again I think to be a scalper you need to lack a conscience, you need to have a bit of a socipath type of mindset, so of course they think what they are doing is a.) not that bad, and b.) in fact, they are sort of the good guy.

I bet that is exactly what they believe. Just like Darth Vader believes he is making the galaxy a better place.

@BenjaminBanklin said:

The scalper, identified only as Jordan, said nobody complains when a grocery store buys milk from a farmer and resells it for twice as much.

Yes, nice analogy failure there. The farmers don't have a direct storefront, their customer is the retailers. You're making sure the stores are never supplied with milk at MSRP and selling it for twice/3x more. What they're doing isn't wrong, but they're gonna have to get used to taking the heat when you're gatekeeping to line your own pockets over highly anticipated items. Man up.

A more apt analogy would be that the farmer sells the milk to the store, then the scalper/profiteer buys all the milk in some back-alley deal with the store owner before it is put on shelves during a milk shortage, and charges 10x the price. He then sends out an army of henchmen to scour all stores in the area, guaranteeing the they and no one else will only get future milk shipments.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts
@dzimm said:
@wonderwinner said:

I see where you are coming from and don't disagree with it entirely, but c'mon...it's pretty fucked up. I get the whole "something is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it" argument, but this is manipulation.

To people that actually want the console, it's not just a 500-dollar item. It's entertainment. It's a chance to distract yourself from the woes of the world. It's an opportunity to assuage your boredom from being cooped up due to COVID. So yeah that might be worth 1500 dollars or whatever scalpers are charging but it shouldn't have to be that much.

In general I'm sort of getting a little tired of the whole "appeal to technicalities" argument. No, they're not doing anything technically wrong. Yes, a console is technically worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. But **** that.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Yeah, he deserves a punch in the face by all those who couldn't buy a PS5 on a retailer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@dzimm: it is immoral. The whole system we live in is immoral.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

boo fucking hoo for him. Buuuuut, if folks wouldn't buy at these markups, scalpers wouldn't be able to sell. And yeah, I have bought from them before. Hypocrite I know.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dzimm
@mrbojangles25 said:
@dzimm said:
@wonderwinner said:

I see where you are coming from and don't disagree with it entirely, but c'mon...it's pretty fucked up. I get the whole "something is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it" argument, but this is manipulation.

To people that actually want the console, it's not just a 500-dollar item. It's entertainment. It's a chance to distract yourself from the woes of the world. It's an opportunity to assuage your boredom from being cooped up due to COVID. So yeah that might be worth 1500 dollars or whatever scalpers are charging but it shouldn't have to be that much.

In general I'm sort of getting a little tired of the whole "appeal to technicalities" argument. No, they're not doing anything technically wrong. Yes, a console is technically worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. But **** that.

I'm not saying I necessarily approve of what they're doing, but neither can I outright condemn them. It seems that the only arguments against this practice are almost entirely emotional, and I don't find that particularly convincing. If people are happy to pay huge markups to buy from a "middleman", and the products are still getting into the hands of customers who no doubt proceed to buy software for their shiny new consoles, then where is the business incentive for manufacturers and retailers to stop it? The only way it will end is if people simply stop buying from scalpers, but good luck convincing the gullible of that.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

The people who are defending the scalpers i say this, when you use bots and the like to gain access to thousands of consoles thus depriving the public an equal chance at getting one online, then yes you are a piece of shit, and it should be illegal.

Maybe people wouldn't be buying them at double the price if the scammers aren't getting access to thousands upon thousands of consoles, every time they get back into stock.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dzimm
@wonderwinner said:

@dzimm: it is immoral. The whole system we live in is immoral.

I suppose you could appeal to the "Humans have the capacity to act immorally; therefore, everything they do is immoral" argument, but that is obviously illogical.

Look, I don't like what scalpers are doing, and I would be pretty pissed if I couldn't buy something I wanted simply because scalpers had cornered the market and wanted me to pay more than retail, but I really can't find a reason to declare what they're doing to be immoral or unethical.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

im buying some games in a local shop and saw them displaying ps5. curious why there are plenty of boxes, i ask how much it is as im surprise there are few stocks. was shock they are selling it almost double the price. have to return the game im about to buy and bought to another shop. i know its business but it could have been to a hands of someone who will not overpay and enjoy the console.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

You pay people for the work they do:

You pay a baker, because of the work he put into making the bread

You pay a game dev, because a lot of work has gone into making a game.

I'm sorry, but what work has a scalper put in exactly? That I would pay him for his services? He bought a bot, that's all.

If these scalpers operate as businesses, they should be taxed as such. This isn't second hand sales, this is a business set on making tons and tons of money from scalping people.

If this shit is legal, than so was the Corleone family.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts

Honestly lol wut? but just wait, no point paying an outrageously inflated price to get the same product a bit earlier than someone else, and to be frank I'm not seeing the value in the new consoles right now anyway, once more titles are out then sure but right now I just don't see what makes either a console a must buy right now

steventant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 steventant
Member since 2021 • 2 Posts

The co-founder of a scalper group called The Lab is unhappy with negative media coverage.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Litchie

@i_p_daily said:

The people who are defending the scalpers i say this, when you use bots and the like to gain access to thousands of consoles thus depriving the public an equal chance at getting one online, then yes you are a piece of shit, and it should be illegal.

Maybe people wouldn't be buying them at double the price if the scammers aren't getting access to thousands upon thousands of consoles, every time they get back into stock.

Maybe scalpers wouldn't get access to thousands upon thousands of consoles if people didn't buy their shit. 🤷

Not defending them, yes they're assholes, and yes, it's weird that it's legal to do this. But as long as it's legal, only the buyers could fix the problem by not buying. Which they wont. Not even for double the price. Scalpers are merely taking advantage of these dumber people. Sucks, but taking advantage of dumb people is a very common thing to do in business.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

Someone's buying from the scalpers or they wouldn't be scalping. I was able to secure two Series X and 2 PS5's for me and a co worker with relative ease over late in December when I decided to try, I'm pretty sure if I wanted to I could just continue to snatch PS5's and make a killing, at least offset the cost of my next gen hardware.

The reality is I contemplated selling my PS5 because there was nothing to play, that's going to be the case for most people that grab them now retail or otherwise, but that forbidden fruit is tempting.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Piece of shit complains that no one likes the smell.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Doesn't surprise me any... everyone tries to play the victim these days. It's funny, scary, and mind blowing all at the same time. Especially when the morons somehow persuade many others into thinking they are the victims... sounds like life the last few years. I could go further but I'll just stop there.

On another note, if they cared so much then they would sell the consoles at cost and just tell everyone they are buying them and selling them so other scalpers can't mark them up. Then they could give the option of supporting them with donations. Of course the price would be a little higher due to shipping and handling and a small surcharge under $20 for them to secure them.

I would have no problem at all donating $50 extra if it wasn't added in the price to begin with... but alas that isn't what this is and them trying to pretend they are doing people a favor is hilarious.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The Series S has been in stock at BestBuy.com for over an hour now. Here’s your chance