Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Maybe I should boost my bold prediction to 55 million!

https://gearnuke.com/nintendo-planning-launching-smaller-cheaper-switch-end-of-fy2019-rumor/

Although Nintendo had a very strong year, they didn’t end on as strong of a note that they were expecting. The Japanese gaming giant was forced to reduced their yearly expected sales down to 17 million at the earnings release for the period between April 2018 and March 2019. They were previously hoping for 20 million units between the same time-frame.

Do note Nintendo CEO Shuntaro Furukawa mentioned late last year that their initial internal goal of 20 million was certainly “not easy”.

To combat this Japanese publication Nikkei reports that Nintendo will be bringing a cheaper, smaller Switch variant to the market sometime in the 2019 Financial Year (April 2019 to March 2020). The report mentions this variant of the Switch will be more “portable” and “easy to carry around”, probably something to replace the 3DS? Or maybe a Switch that’s fully portable without the docking ability?

It was also mentioned that this Switch will come at a cheaper price, something the shareholders have been requesting for a while. This will however have to be done without compromising on functionality.

And Nikkei is definitely a reliable source. The final paragraph seems to indicate that this new Switch will still be able to be docked.

I think this will be correct priced at $200-250, likely closer to $250. Then next year both models get a price cut and mid-gen upgrade model is released in response to next-gen at $350.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

$250 for a Switch is still too expensive.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Definitely a good move.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

The screen is already to small for mp games, don't make it smaller! Also fix the joy con analog issues first before making a newer switch.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Meh. If you’re an existing owner, nothing in the article suggests it’s worth your money to concern yourself with the redesign.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

Probably will happen and there’s likely a good number of people who would get that. I’ll stick with the one I got now because I like the bigger screen and the ability to dock to my TV. I think the only reason that I’d get a different Switch would be if/when they come out with a more powerful “Pro” version.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

TBH, I think more people would clamor for a bigger more powerful model, with the regular base price dropped.

I don't think a smaller model is appropriate, especially since they aren't done with 3DS yet. The Switch is a hybrid, no matter what people on here say - and you can see this clearly in the types of games it tries to deliver. A smaller screen will not do favors to many of its big titles.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Techhog89
@xantufrog said:

TBH, I think more people would clamor for a bigger more powerful model, with the regular base price dropped.

I don't think a smaller model is appropriate, especially since they aren't done with 3DS yet. The Switch is a hybrid, no matter what people on here say - and you can see this clearly in the types of games it tries to deliver. A smaller screen will not do favors to many of its big titles.

Nah. With Pokemon and Animal Crossing coming this year, and with 3DS on its last legs, a budget model is more important. You say they're not done with Switch yet, but they only have one more game announced for it, Pokemon has moved on, and they just had to slash their 3DS forecast by 35% for hardware and 19% for software. It's a dying platform, and despite Nintendo's PR they've been done with it for a while. You're right that a stronger model would bring more hype, but it makes way more sense to do that next year so it can be as close to next gen as reasonably possible without making battery life even worse. Next year it'll be more reasonable to use 7mn tech, which could let them more than double Switch's power. Releasing this year wouldn't even be able to get them up to XBO in docked mode unless you're ready for a $450 price tag.

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1046 Posts

I thought Nintendo said they weren’t done with the 3ds

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

How much smaller can they get?

Why not a slightly larger screen but better cost efficient hardware?

Thank God I have 2 Switches.

@xantufrog I agree

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

That's like the exact opposite of what they should do...

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@VERTIGO47 said:

@xantufrog I agree

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

My launch Switch is already better and this is for those who don't own a Switch anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@VERTIGO47 said:

@xantufrog I agree

Good god I used to have that. The Red/Gold Famicom Anniversary design. It was given as a gag gift to me. I turned it on once with NES re-release GBA Metroid in it. I physically had to move it closer to my facd to see what the hell was going on. Nice bright light. But that was it. Then I gave it away. lol

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@VERTIGO47 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@VERTIGO47 said:

@xantufrog I agree

Good god I used to have that. The Red/Gold Famicom Anniversary design. It was given as a gag gift to me. I turned it on once with NES re-release GBA Metroid in it. I physically had to move it closer to my facd to see what the hell was going on. Nice bright light. But that was it. Then I gave it away. lol

I never understood why that thing even existed.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Rumor: The rumor that Nintendo is considering a smaller, cheaper Switch is bullshit.

/thread

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Techhog89
@dzimm said:

Rumor: The rumor that Nintendo is considering a smaller, cheaper Switch is bullshit.

/thread

This source is usually correct.

@drummerdave9099 said:

That's like the exact opposite of what they should do...

As I said, it makes more sense to release an upgraded version next year, not this year. It would be stupid to do it this year because it's too early to for a reasonable upgrade at a reasonable price. They also need to get under $250 to make sure that Animal Crossing and Pokemon do work, and they can't do that with the current model.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Pass. My Switch still works and I use it as a home console; not a portable.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Impossible to make the joycons smaller. Besides the Switch is too small anyway, needs a 7.9 screen to be honest

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i won't buy it.

I doubt it will sell as well as a normal switch. But the option is nice for people that want it.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Impossible to make the joycons smaller. Besides the Switch is too small anyway, needs a 7.9 screen to be honest

well the controllers would be built on the system. so theyd proably wont be joycons. just normal buttons like a 3DS

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dark_drag765

Only downside about no detachable joycons is when they start to drift you are SOL

Hopefully the build quality is good though so it’s a non issue.

I was hoping for a pro model but this is cool too (I might need a third job >_>)

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: I think this was around the time that the Ipod Touch came out. Seems like the logic was to bring out an even more portable gaming device to compete with that.

Imo really overpriced though, since the SP was cheaper and had more features. Even worse the DS launched soon after at a not substantially higher price. Cool novelty item for collectors now I guess, but so tiny.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I would jump on board if this rumour is correct. Bayonetta 3 and metroid prime collection are both keeping my attention.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

What I would like to see Nintendo do is make a successor to the 3DS with software that is forwards compatible with the Switch. In other words, you would have a "Switch Lite" or whatever with its own line of software that is compatible with either the Switch Lite or the Switch, but he Switch Lite wouldn't be able to run Switch software. This would give people a smaller, cheaper, more portable-friendly Nintendo console without fragmenting the customer base.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

With non-detachable joycons on a Switch Mini then that would mean that they would probably put a proper d-pad on it which might be a plus for some.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Techhog89
@dzimm said:

What I would like to see Nintendo do is make a successor to the 3DS with software that is forwards compatible with the Switch. In other words, you would have a "Switch Lite" or whatever with its own line of software that is compatible with either the Switch Lite or the Switch, but he Switch Lite wouldn't be able to run Switch software. This would give people a smaller, cheaper, more portable-friendly Nintendo console without fragmenting the customer base.

Uh, what?v That would totally fragment the customer base way more than just a cheaper Switch. I don't even understand the point of your idea.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

remove the big ass bezel to increase screen size and increase the resolution to 1080p and 4k video output support (Netflix, Hulu, youtube, etc) in dock mode.

thats it

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dark_drag765

If the portable switch has OLED like the vita did than I will probably buy it (probably get another job to afford it)

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Techhog89
@FinalFighters said:

remove the big ass bezel to increase screen size and increase the resolution to 1080p and 4k video output support (Netflix, Hulu, youtube, etc) in dock mode.

thats it

There's no point to having a 1080p screen at all. The games still aren't going to be able to run at 1080p so they would all just look a lot worse.

@dark_drag765 said:

If the portable switch has OLED like the vita did than I will probably buy it (probably get another job to afford it)

The point of it would be to make it cheaper, so it won't be OLED. (Also Switch has an objectively better screen than Vita in every way except contrast.)

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@dark_drag765:

It not “than” it “then”. “Than” it is for more comparisons. “Then” it use to describe what follow. ?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Smaller screen is a bad idea.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mandzilla  Moderator

Something like this could do very well I'm sure, plus would no doubt be a fair bit cheaper without the dock and joycons.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 robert_sparkes

I don't want removable joycons I wouldn't use it as a home console docked. I'm sure a revised cheaper version would boost sales even more.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Techhog89

@robert_sparkes: Some games require joycons though

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@mandzilla: it's possible, I would also think they will release different colors as well, like the joy cons

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dark_drag765

@techhog89:

The vita screen just looks prettier because the colors... sorry but an oled would do Nintendo wonders. Many of the Samsung phones have them.... they would probably have to sell it at a loss but it would be to the consumers delight... if they do release a pro model hopefully it has one

Not saying the vita is better than the switch (whoever thought of detachable joycons to prevent being locked into a console with bad thumb sticks is a genius.)

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Techhog89
@dark_drag765 said:

@techhog89:

The vita screen just looks prettier because the colors... sorry but an oled would do Nintendo wonders. Many of the Samsung phones have them.... they would probably have to sell it at a loss but it would be to the consumers delight... if they do release a pro model hopefully it has one

Not saying the vita is better than the switch (whoever thought of detachable joycons to prevent being locked into a console with bad thumb sticks is a genius.)

Placebo. The now ancient OLED in Vita doesn't produce colors as accurately as a quality IPS like the one in most Switch units. Blacks are better but that's it. Obviously Samsung screens beat both, but those are using top-of-the-line new screens in devices that cost more than 3x as much as Switch and 4x as much as Vita at launch. It's a bad comparison. And selling at a loss when you don't have to is how you run a company into the ground.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

So... they want to make a Switch Vita basically.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mandzilla  Moderator
@FireEmblem_Man said:

@mandzilla: it's possible, I would also think they will release different colors as well, like the joy cons

Hey well somebody made a concept art for that too lol.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mandzilla  Moderator
@Metallic_Blade said:

So... they want to make a Switch Vita basically.

I think so yeah. Not a bad idea really, the Vita could have been a big hit if it had a lineup like the Switch among other things.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@mandzilla said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

It reminds of all the different variant colors of Gameboy and Gameboy Pocket

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Techhog89
@mandzilla said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Too small.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

They could make it out of cardboard. They love cardboard. It would still cost the earth though. Nintendo must have magical cardboard.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Techhog89
@DocSanchez said:

They could make it out of cardboard. They love cardboard. It would still cost the earth though. Nintendo must have magical cardboard.

You cows are the ones obsessed with cardboard, so I think Sony should make the PS5 out of it. You talk more about it than any Nintendo fan ever, so I can only assume it's out of envy.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DocSanchez

@techhog89: thats the only assumption you could possibly make? Not that the labo was a huge source of mirth to me?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 robert_sparkes

I can't see Nintendo changing anything just yet when it's selling like hot cakes.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Techhog89

@DocSanchez: Considering the fact that it's been a whole year, yes.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DocSanchez

@techhog89: It hasn't. It's been 9 months, and you underestimate just how much enjoyment can be had laughing at people who defend crap like that.