Rumor - PS4 codenamed Orbis, 2013 release, 4K res, no used games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#351 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="TyberZannxxxx"]

This is all fake. First of all, Sony has a 10-year lifecycle for its consoles, which means the PS4 most likely be released until 2016. Second of all, 4k TVs are still in development and most likely won't be available until at least 2020. Third of all, Sony can't afford to use cutting-edge hardware so that is it significantly more powerful than its competition. If they tried that right now, the console would cost more than $1,000, preventing almost everyone from buying it. Chances are, the PS4 will be on par with the Wii U and next Xbox.

TyberZannxxxx

Wow you're an idiot, so it's absolutely unthinkable that Sony support both PS3 and PS4? 4K projectors are already in stores and available to buy. Sony can use any tech they want but financially it wouldn't be advisable, PS3 only cost so much because Blu ray was the newest drive at the time and the Cell was co-developed by Sony at the cost of half a billion dollars and about 7 years of research, but most likely they will in fact use a mass produced chip from AMD due to their dominance in the APU + GPU performance as we see very small PCs and laptops easily playing games on max with good frame rate and that's the kind of attributes they need for a console. I agree it'll very much be on par with Xbox.

And it will be on par with the Wii U.

Of my entire post that's the part you object to? :lol: Yeah well nothing is concrete so I'll agree but in my mind Nintendo won't go for a performance leap of about 10 times. It's not their focus so I doubt it but hey... we never know.
TyberZannxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#352 TyberZannxxxx
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

[QUOTE="TyberZannxxxx"]

[QUOTE="JohnF111"] Wow you're an idiot, so it's absolutely unthinkable that Sony support both PS3 and PS4? 4K projectors are already in stores and available to buy. Sony can use any tech they want but financially it wouldn't be advisable, PS3 only cost so much because Blu ray was the newest drive at the time and the Cell was co-developed by Sony at the cost of half a billion dollars and about 7 years of research, but most likely they will in fact use a mass produced chip from AMD due to their dominance in the APU + GPU performance as we see very small PCs and laptops easily playing games on max with good frame rate and that's the kind of attributes they need for a console. I agree it'll very much be on par with Xbox.JohnF111

And it will be on par with the Wii U.

Of my entire post that's the part you object to? :lol: Yeah well nothing is concrete so I'll agree but in my mind Nintendo won't go for a performance leap of about 10 times. It's not their focus so I doubt it but hey... we never know.

I don't think the graphics leap from this generation to the next one will be very big from any of the 3 consoles. All we'll probably see is native 1080p and a few new graphics features, but that's it.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#353 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
This sounds totally fake. I do believe it will be 4K capable though. Sony already has a blu-ray player coming out very soon (if not already out) that is capable of 4K "upscaling". That to me signals that 4K will probably be right around the corner. I believe for most games it will be 1080p, but for movies it will have a 4K blu-ray player. Kind of like how this gen most games are 720p or less, but of course PS3 was one of the best early blu-ray players on the market.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#354 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"] if youve been in SW long enough, you would know hes talking about the high price of sony systems, like alot of other people do around here.....and your right i was kidding with the moron comment, unless you actually think 360 > ps3??

I really don't think one is greater than the other. They each have things that I like about them. I won't condemn someone for preferring one over the other. Calling someone a moron for preferring one vs the other is a bit harsh. I do prefer the 360 btw.

judging by your sig i think its safe to say you dont own a ps3. you only have that many medals, and your psn name is Noksucow, which leads me to think you made a psn account to play at a friends house or something. moron.

Still waiting for that invite, or perhaps you would like me to send you a message via the PS3. I could send it at 3am if you'd like, in the comfort of my own home, to prove that it's mine. Although I see you visited my profile to see if I did have the PS3 in my photos. The thumbs down was very funny.Not to mention you failed to respond back, I guess too ashamed to admit you were wrong, and that I indeed do have a PS3.Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery! Pinaccle = cancer of the gaming community.
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

I love how its like everybody who isnt a fan of Sony doesnt want to believe that PS4 will be a REAL graphics leap, because all rumors are pointing to Sony being the leader in that reguard. In all my years in gaming, this is the first generation I have ever seen, where fanboys have COMPLAINED and CRIED about getting good graphics. Fanboyism is disgusting.

You "dont want" better hardware, because the company you like the most is on the losing end of that "battle"......PERIOD. So you tell yourselves "Hurpy derp, it'll be $899, or else it'll be on par with the Wii U" NO. Stop dragging everybody else down with yourself. If Nintendo wants to intentionally release a console below industry standards, feel free to buy it, that is nobody else's problem but theirs.

You people act like expecting a true generational leap is some strange unnatural desire, and we are asking so much. How dare we :roll:

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I love how its like everybody who isnt a fan of Sony doesnt want to believe that PS4 will be a REAL graphics leap, because all rumors are pointing to Sony being the leader in that reguard. In all my years in gaming, this is the first generation I have ever seen, where fanboys have COMPLAINED and CRIED about getting good graphics. Fanboyism is disgusting.

You "dont want" better hardware, because the company you like the most is on the losing end of that "battle"......PERIOD. So you tell yourselves "Hurpy derp, it'll be $899, or else it'll be on par with the Wii U" NO. Stop dragging everybody else down with yourself. If Nintendo wants to intentionally release a console below industry standards, feel free to buy it, that is nobody else's problem but theirs.

You people act like expecting a true generational leap is some strange unnatural desire, and we are asking so much. How dare we :roll:

StrongDeadlift

It has nothing to do with fanboyism. It's being a realist, what kind of power will the machine need to render in 4K? Current gen consoles can't even properly do 1080p

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#357 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="Idontremember"]

So all 3 consoles will have AMD gpus???
Damn... Hope that doesn't kill Nvidia...
The last thing we need is less competition on the PC market.
But AMD cpus suck bad compare to intel.

wis3boi

nvidia wins the professional market, and a good portion of the phone market, they arent going anywhere

Mobile phone SoC market is tougher than the PC market e.g. it has larger players such as Qualcomm.

Intel Haswell (40 IEUs, 3X over Ivybridge IGP) and AMD AMD Kaveri (512 GCN SPs @ ~900Mhz**) effectively wipes out NVIDIA's med-range.

Both AMD and Intel has commoditized 64bit DP FP support and will be supporting GPU gather instructions in AVX2. NV's GTX680 doesn't bring commoditization for thier GPU ASIC in the professional and HPC market. Commoditized X86 products are the main driving force in pushing the old school RISC vendors out from the market.

**Rivals Radeon HD 7750.

Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"] I really don't think one is greater than the other. They each have things that I like about them. I won't condemn someone for preferring one over the other. Calling someone a moron for preferring one vs the other is a bit harsh. I do prefer the 360 btw.

judging by your sig i think its safe to say you dont own a ps3. you only have that many medals, and your psn name is Noksucow, which leads me to think you made a psn account to play at a friends house or something. moron.

Still waiting for that invite, or perhaps you would like me to send you a message via the PS3. I could send it at 3am if you'd like, in the comfort of my own home, to prove that it's mine. Although I see you visited my profile to see if I did have the PS3 in my photos. The thumbs down was very funny.Not to mention you failed to respond back, I guess too ashamed to admit you were wrong, and that I indeed do have a PS3.Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery! Pinaccle = cancer of the gaming community.

ok so your neighbour in your basement has a ps3. so what? what does this change. You Dont.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 godzillavskong
[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"] judging by your sig i think its safe to say you dont own a ps3. you only have that many medals, and your psn name is Noksucow, which leads me to think you made a psn account to play at a friends house or something. moron.

ok so your neighbour in your basement has a ps3. so what? what does this change. You Dont.

My neighbor in my basement??Try harder. I see you viewed my profile and looked at the image of my setup, with my PS3, hence the new thumbs down. lol You truly need to grow up. You are by far the worst Sony fanboy I've ever seen up here. So everyone that has all the systems, but prefers the 360, doesn't have a PS3? I don't think you even have a gaming system at all. Probably why you spend most of your time up here and not gaming. Your probably sitting in front of your Emachine right now.
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 PinnacleGamingP
[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"]Still waiting for that invite, or perhaps you would like me to send you a message via the PS3. I could send it at 3am if you'd like, in the comfort of my own home, to prove that it's mine. Although I see you visited my profile to see if I did have the PS3 in my photos. The thumbs down was very funny.Not to mention you failed to respond back, I guess too ashamed to admit you were wrong, and that I indeed do have a PS3.Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery! Pinaccle = cancer of the gaming community.godzillavskong

My neighbor in my basement??Try harder. I see you viewed my profile and looked at the image of my setup, with my PS3, hence the new thumbs down. lol You truly need to grow up. You are by far the worst Sony fanboy I've ever seen up here. So everyone that has all the systems, but prefers the 360, doesn't have a PS3? I don't think you even have a gaming system at all. Probably why you spend most of your time up here and not gaming. Your probably sitting in front of your Emachine right now.

thumbs down? i didnt even click your profile or check any pictures. but ill give you thumbs down now...check it out :lol:
gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

[QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]

Long story. Info throught the link.

Link

super600

Yay!For another exaggeration.

Dude, your sig sucks!!!
Avatar image for BattlefieldFan1
BattlefieldFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 BattlefieldFan1
Member since 2012 • 841 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

Kaze_no_Mirai

It has nothing to do with fanboyism. It's being a realist, what kind of power will the machine need to render in 4K? Current gen consoles can't even properly do 1080p

I'm not understanding your logic. What would current gen specs have to do with displaying 4k resolution for next gen consoles? I can possibly see it happening on launch titles.

If SONY puts in a high end 7xxx series, along with 4 GB of RAM, 4k resolution WILL be possible. I'm sure that once the gen progresses, games will become far more complex and the games will only run on 1080p. But for the launch titles, I do see games running at 4k or somewhere near that range.

The PS3 has 256 MB of RAM and 256 MB VRAM and runs games at 720p. If you tried running arkham city or any game released last year on a PC with similar specs, your PC would explode. You need around 10x times the amount of RAM PS3 has and 4x times the amount of VRAM on a PC to run the game smoothly.

You think that a card that'll be released later this year + around 15x the ram of this gen's console + console optimization won't be able to run higher than 1080p?

On a PC that might not be feasible due to the bloated OS, but it's doable on a console.

Now this is assuming SONY puts in an AMD 79xx GPU and 4 GB of ram or something that'll equate to this combo's power.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 godzillavskong
[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"] ok so your neighbour in your basement has a ps3. so what? what does this change. You Dont.

thumbs down? i didnt even click your profile or check any pictures. but ill give you thumbs down now...check it out :lol:

Funny. You are too funny. I'm actually gonna send you a friend request. Good stuff.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 godzillavskong
[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"] judging by your sig i think its safe to say you dont own a ps3. you only have that many medals, and your psn name is Noksucow, which leads me to think you made a psn account to play at a friends house or something. moron.

BTW, give me your Playstation gamertag and I'll send you a message anytime you want. I don't have to lie about what system I own or don't own. Your profile seems a bit empty on the other hand.No games? No consoles? Oh I get it, you just created a quick profile to troll.(sigh)...... Kids these days.
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 PinnacleGamingP
[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"]Still waiting for that invite, or perhaps you would like me to send you a message via the PS3. I could send it at 3am if you'd like, in the comfort of my own home, to prove that it's mine. Although I see you visited my profile to see if I did have the PS3 in my photos. The thumbs down was very funny.Not to mention you failed to respond back, I guess too ashamed to admit you were wrong, and that I indeed do have a PS3.Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery! Pinaccle = cancer of the gaming community.godzillavskong

BTW, give me your Playstation gamertag and I'll send you a message anytime you want. I don't have to lie about what system I own or don't own. Your profile seems a bit empty on the other hand.No games? No consoles? Oh I get it, you just created a quick profile to troll.(sigh)...... Kids these days.

make up your mind
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#366 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
I don't usually buy used games but you can kiss my toilet seat Sony... how about borrowing a game from a friend or renting a game? I was ticked off enough when I borrowed Madden 12 from a friend only to discover online was limited and the game could only be fully used on a single console.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 godzillavskong

These are just rumors, so I won't hold my breath on any of this until Sony actually comes out and says it themselves. They almost never keep the names they initially have for these new systems anyways. Orbis isn't that bad of a name, although it just seems odd if they do name it this, and not keep the trend going with the numericals behind Playstation. Either way I'll purchase one, whenever it releases.

PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 PinnacleGamingP
sounds like the PS4 will be amazing, hopefully they figure out a way so that used games benefit both developers, and gamers, but knowing sony innovations, that should be no problem. 360 online passes are BS because you already have to pay to play online in XBL
gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts
A 7xxx class GPU sounds promising, hopefully it's a 7870 since it's very doable inside a console. Now couple that with a 2G GDDR5 ram and a decent CPU then we would have a pretty meaty power leap. Imagine playing games twice as good as looking as BF3 ultra at 1080p 30fps.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#370 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

BattlefieldFan1

I'm not understanding your logic. What would current gen specs have to do with displaying 4k resolution for next gen consoles? I can possibly see it happening on launch titles.

If SONY puts in a high end 7xxx series, along with 4 GB of RAM, 4k resolution WILL be possible. I'm sure that once the gen progresses, games will become far more complex and the games will only run on 1080p. But for the launch titles, I do see games running at 4k or somewhere near that range.

The PS3 has 256 MB of RAM and 256 MB VRAM and runs games at 720p. If you tried running arkham city or any game released last year on a PC with similar specs, your PC would explode. You need around 10x times the amount of RAM PS3 has and 4x times the amount of VRAM on a PC to run the game smoothly.

You think that a card that'll be released later this year + around 15x the ram of this gen's console + console optimization won't be able to run higher than 1080p?

On a PC that might not be feasible due to the bloated OS, but it's doable on a console.

Now this is assuming SONY puts in an AMD 79xx GPU and 4 GB of ram or something that'll equate to this combo's power.

Try Arkham City or any game released last year (e.g. Crysis 2) on AMD Radeon X1900 based PC.
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#371 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"]

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

BattlefieldFan1

SW always amaze me with all this console-gamers believing that consoles run on fairy dust...

Do you realize that a ATI X1950 (from 2005) still can play games like Crysis 2 with equal settings to consoles link (and still using a higher rez than ps3)

reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 reach3
Member since 2012 • 1600 Posts

A 7xxx class GPU sounds promising, hopefully it's a 7870 since it's very doable inside a console. Now couple that with a 2G GDDR5 ram and a decent CPU then we would have a pretty meaty power leap. Imagine playing games twice as good as looking as BF3 ultra at 1080p 30fps.gpuking
I don't know why these idiot devs like to sacrifice frames for graphics. How can I enjoy games graphics when the game stutters like **** in big areas? With specs like that, they is NO REASON why Sony and Microsoft shouldn't make 1080p 60 fps STANDARD

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="gpuking"]A 7xxx class GPU sounds promising, hopefully it's a 7870 since it's very doable inside a console. Now couple that with a 2G GDDR5 ram and a decent CPU then we would have a pretty meaty power leap. Imagine playing games twice as good as looking as BF3 ultra at 1080p 30fps.reach3

I don't know why these idiot devs like to sacrifice frames for graphics. How can I enjoy games graphics when the game stutters like **** in big areas? With specs like that, they is NO REASON why Sony and Microsoft shouldn't make 1080p 60 fps STANDARD

They'll make it 720P native resolution for every games,this time.
reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 reach3
[QUOTE="reach3"]

[QUOTE="gpuking"]A 7xxx class GPU sounds promising, hopefully it's a 7870 since it's very doable inside a console. Now couple that with a 2G GDDR5 ram and a decent CPU then we would have a pretty meaty power leap. Imagine playing games twice as good as looking as BF3 ultra at 1080p 30fps.MonsieurX

They alreadt did that this gen. FOr awhile, but then devs complained and they pulled the standard of 720p. Which is why I dont trust these next gen consoles and building a pc. Anything less than 1080p in 2013 is a joke, period.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="reach3"] I don't know why these idiot devs like to sacrifice frames for graphics. How can I enjoy games graphics when the game stutters like **** in big areas? With specs like that, they is NO REASON why Sony and Microsoft shouldn't make 1080p 60 fps STANDARD

reach3

They alreadt did that this gen. FOr awhile, but then devs complained and they pulled the standard of 720p. Which is why I dont trust these next gen consoles and building a pc. Anything less than 1080p in 2013 is a joke, period.

Already did?

That's why tons of games release with less than 720P native? :lol:

reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 reach3

[QUOTE="reach3"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"] They'll make it 720P native resolution for every games,this time.MonsieurX

Already did?

That's why tons of games release with less than 720P native? :lol:

They DID. At the start of the gen, Microsoft had a 720p standard for all games released on 360. After a year they pulled that standard, which is why they are sub hd games now.
rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

lol@ people who actually think Sony will prohibit used games, or even MS for that matter.

TyberZannxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 TyberZannxxxx
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

StrongDeadlift

Sony suffered a $2.96 billion loss back in 2011. And they are expecting a $2.9 billion loss for this year. Do you think Sony can afford the hardware required for 10x better graphics than PS3 in their current financial situation? Do you think anyone would want to buy a console that is so expensive? Do you think Sony can afford to develop and launch a new console at all in their current financial situation? Think about it.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

PS3 aimed for 1080p and ended up with sub 720p, so maybe if the ps4 aims for 4k it will actually do 1080p now.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Console games tied to account? No buy. If I wanted account tied games, I'd build a gaming PC where the games will be significantly cheaper. No used games? Bye Sony. (If I even believed this which I don't)