RUMOR: Capcom not feeling confident w/Sony regarding Monster Hunter 5 being a PS4 Exclusive

• 120 results
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Take this rumor w/a grain a salt, this is on GAF

• Sony paid for exclusive rights of Monster Hunter 5
  • Sony wants to ensure they can take over Japan
  • Capcom wants to make Monster Hunter franchise a success to the West
  • Capcom is making the game w/Western appeal, meaning new gameplay mechanics and higher end graphics, w/a realistic approach (Like Horizon: Zero Dawn)
  • The next Nintendo Monster Hunter game will be made by the Main team, but will be known as Monster Hunter Portable 5 (or another name)
  • Capcom's B-Team is working on Monster Hunter 5 for the PS4
  • Capcom feels that Monster Hunter 5 on the PS4 won't be a success in Japan
  • Capcom also felt sales of Street Fighter V were a disappointment for being a PS4 Exclusive
  • Capcom also thinks that Monster Hunter 5 maybe too different than the older Monster Hunter games.
  • Sony is supposedly to show Monster Hunter 5 this E3 or maybe later in the year (Tokyo Game Show)

The main points that are relevant to gamers are that according to the rumor, Sony has paid for a console exclusive Monster Hunter 5 that changes up the traditional gameplay in some fairly dramatic ways; "streamlined" combat, QTEs, less gathering and prep, and an open world. Capcom allegedly signed on to this because they saw an opportunity for growth in the west via the PS4 userbase and presumably saw Japan as a market in decline. If true, PS4 owners can look forward to a pretty looking Monster Hunter with 5 in the title.

Now why should Switch owners not feel NTR'd? Because the same rumor also states that Capcom got cold feet when they realized that they were risking their reliable Japanese audience to chase western riches. They allegedly decided to hedge by supporting Switch as well, except with the Sony contract already signed, they couldn't call the game Monster Hunter 5. So if you believe the first PS4 part of the rumor, you must also believe that Monster Hunter Portable 5 is coming to Switch, by the main Monster Hunter team, iterating on the traditional gameplay

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

Perhaps because Street Fighter 5 flopped Capcom is having doubts?

But they have nobody but themselves to blame for releasing a game that wasn't even half way finished.

Expecting consumers to bend over and buy a half assed finished game right off the bat in Street Fighter 5.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Considering that Capcom became Crapcom last gen, I don't think even they should pay attention to what they are thinking.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Exclusives are usually only beneficial to the platform manufacturer. This exclusivity sounds like a bad idea for Capcom. Especially since Monster Hunter is a rather well-known IP.

I bet the extra sales from the other platforms would outweigh Sony's money.

I kind of wish Sony would quit it with this shit. Exclusivity is usually bad for the devs, the games and the gamers (except for system warriors in need of ammunition).

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Had been fun if Crapcom did a full "home console" Monster Hunter game that is not some handheld crap port.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Maybe they should make it Xbox One exclusive that will surely make it a success in Japan.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I was very disappointed with the lack of Street Fighter V on the Xbox One, definitely would have picked up the game otherwise. I would love to see Monster Hunter expand and make its way to the Xbox One as well.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@aroxx_ab said:

Had been fun if Crapcom did a full "home console" Monster Hunter game that is not some handheld crap port.

That's what they're doing! Monster Hunter 5 for the PS4 is your console game, but NOT in a traditional sense! Also, Japan are the ones demanding for an on the go experience, as it's much bigger than console gaming in Japan. PS4 sales in Japan are slumping while Switch sales are high.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By aroxx_ab

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@aroxx_ab said:

That's what they're doing! Monster Hunter 5 for the PS4 is your console game, but NOT in a traditional sense! Also, Japan are the ones demanding for an on the go experience, as it's much bigger than console gaming in Japan. PS4 sales in Japan are slumping while Switch sales are high.

Hmm ok we wait and see how this turn out

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FireEmblem_Man

@aroxx_ab said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@aroxx_ab said:

You didn't really read the OP, just the topic title, didn't you?

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

So Capcom signs a exclusivity deal with Sony and then complain about it while blaming Sony because of SFV sales when everyone already knows it was their own fault? Lol Capcom if true

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Well if Capcom stop making games to make a quick buck, but make games that actually matter, then they wouldn't have to blame Sony for their own mistakes.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Sony wants to ensure they can take over Japan but the are making MH5 to appeal to western audiences? This rumor doesnt make sense and probably is false

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

Exclusives are usually only beneficial to the platform manufacturer. This exclusivity sounds like a bad idea for Capcom. Especially since Monster Hunter is a rather well-known IP.

I bet the extra sales from the other platforms would outweigh Sony's money.

I kind of wish Sony would quit it with this shit. Exclusivity is usually bad for the devs, the games and the gamers (except for system warriors in need of ammunition).

Lol, they are going to be looking for 3rd party exclusives.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Prefer exclusives, no point in buying a PS without them.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FireEmblem_Man

@Flubbbs said:

Sony wants to ensure they can take over Japan but the are making MH5 to appeal to western audiences? This rumor doesnt make sense and probably is false

Sony wants to ensure they have Japan, but Capcom wants to appeal to the Western Audience which is making Monster Hunter 5 look like a Horizon: Zero Dawn clone

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

Actually it kinda makes sense since it would be Capcom the one doing double play. They also have experience since they have done so in the past with Resident Evil 3 double playing Sony and Sega.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

The best approach would probably be to release it as multi platform game (PS4, PC, XONE) but provide Sony with marketing rights in Japan and the West. I don't see how that wouldn't be a win-win for everyone involved.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Multi platform for the win and I am all for it being multiplatform even if I am not interested in the game.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Sounds like a bullshit rumor. If it's true then Capcom is run by even bigger idiots than I imagined. Crapcom have no one to blame but themselves when it comes to SFV flopping. You released a half finished game expect to have shit sales.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FireEmblem_Man

@metalslimenite said:

I don't believe the PlayStation rumor to begin with. Monster Hunter has basically been a Nintendo franchise for a good while now, and the recent announcement proves it. I'm sure MH5 will be a Switch exclusive too.

If Sony threw a lot of money to make Monster Hunter 5 a PS4 exclusive, then Capcom would take it. But Capcom is having doubts with it, so Capcom's Main Monster Hunter team is making Monster Hunter Portable 5 for the Switch. Meaning that MH5 for the PS4 would not be a mainline MH title.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@quadknight said:

Sounds like a bullshit rumor. If it's true then Capcom is run by even bigger idiots than I imagined. Crapcom have no one to blame but themselves when it comes to SFV flopping. You released a half finished game expect to have shit sales.

I blame it on the "exclusivity"

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 glez13

@metalslimenite said:

I don't believe the PlayStation rumor to begin with. Monster Hunter has basically been a Nintendo franchise for a good while now, and the recent announcement proves it. I'm sure MH5 will be a Switch exclusive too.

Capcom has experience with this kind of thing, just look at the whole thing with Resident Evil 3. Just replace RE with MH and Sony/Sega with Nintendo/Sony and this rumor is for the most part that whole situation once again.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FireEmblem_Man

@glez13 said:
@metalslimenite said:

Capcom has experience with this kind of thing, just look at the whole thing with Resident Evil 3. Just replace RE with MH and Sony/Sega with Nintendo/Sony and this rumor is for the most part that whole situation once again.

Don't forget Resident Evil 4, Capcom had cold feet w/Nintendo on being a GC exclusive and then later released the game on the PS2 on the same year in the Fall.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aroxx_ab

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@aroxx_ab said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@aroxx_ab said:

You didn't really read the OP, just the topic title, didn't you?

yeah

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jv303
Member since 2014 • 545 Posts

I'm a PS4 fan, but yeah, MH should live on Nintendo.

That's where their fanbase is.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#28 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I don't know guys, no one forced capcom here to sign the deal.

So I don't understand their dislike. How about some update on their lost game deep down instead?

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

There's really no need to westernize it for it to be a success in the west.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

The game is on Nitendo too.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

Maybe they should make it Xbox One exclusive that will surely make it a success in Japan.

Maybe they should make it for PS4, Switch & XB1. That would make it successful everywhere. Capcom is so stupid. You would think that SF5 would have taught them something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#32  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I know MH is big in Japan and all but I honestly couldnt care less about the franchise so... meh

@blackace said:

You would think that SF5 would have taught them something.

Taught what exactly? To not release unfinished half a**ed games? I doubt that

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 glez13

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@glez13 said:
@metalslimenite said:

Don't forget Resident Evil 4, Capcom had cold feet w/Nintendo on being a GC exclusive and then later released the game on the PS2 on the same year in the Fall.

But Resident Evil 4 wasn't a real business partnership between Capcom and Nintendo. It was just part of a series of titles that Capcom decided to announce first for the Nintendo console as a way to keep the Japanese console market going strong and diverse with competition, while also helping out an old business partner. There was never a real monetary exchange, otherwise Nintendo would have surely sued, instead it just ended up souring their business relationship for a while. With Resident Evil 3 there was an actual agreement with monetary exchanges between the parts and that is why Capcom ended up cleverly stretching the terms by adding a 3 on the title of a spin-off, and removing the 3 while adding a subtitle on the actual big project, which is more in line with what this rumor is claiming.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
@Vatusus said:

I know MH is big in Japan and all but I honestly couldnt care less about the franchise so... meh

@blackace said:

Yeah and poor sales. Even all the hype it got didn't help it much. I think Sony rushed them to release it and hoped it would sell million and millions on the hype alone. Didn't happen.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

QTE's in MH? No thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

It would be great to see the Monster Hunter series appear on more platforms. I understand the logic that Monster Hunter is a very popular series in Japan and portable gaming is paramount there too - hence why the series appears on 3DS, but there I still feel there is a market for Monster Hunter on PS4.

Capcom confuse me to no end though. If this rumor is to be believed and Capcom wish to see success for the series in the west but 'westernizing' the design, then doesn't that decision somewhat conflict with Sony's intent? That seems like a weird juxtaposition. Again going by the rumor, it sounds like they are moving away from the Japanese market in favor of hoping to capture a western market...

I hope Capcom's localization improves too. We have yet to hear any word regarding the localization of The Great Ace Attorney or Monster Hunter XX. There seems to be a disconnect between Capcom JP and Capcom USA in that regard.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Cinematic story-driven Monster Hunter?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@blackace said:
@Vatusus said:

@blackace said:

Yeah and poor sales. Even all the hype it got didn't help it much. I think Sony rushed them to release it and hoped it would sell million and millions on the hype alone. Didn't happen.

uh, the game was also on PC so exactly why are you putting all the blame on Sony? What about Rise of the Tomb Raider? Sunset Overdrive?

SF V didnt sell because it had low reviews due to an abismal lack of content at launch. Dont be naive. Both Sunset Overdrive and RotTR had the scores and the content and still didnt sell. How about that?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FireEmblem_Man

@howmakewood said:

Cinematic story-driven Monster Hunter?

Like all Sony's First Party titles? Yes!

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I was very disappointed with the lack of Street Fighter V on the Xbox One, definitely would have picked up the game otherwise. I would love to see Monster Hunter expand and make its way to the Xbox One as well.

Buyers remorse I see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#42 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Can't wait for dat emotional monster hunting.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

@putaspongeon: Nope, no buyer's remorse for me.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Don't buy the rumor for a second. Don't think Nintendo would be stupid enough to let that fall through and I'd doubt Capcom would want to burn bridges like that.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#46 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This rumor stems off of a 4Chan rumor which accurately predicted a Switch version of Double Cross (which got announced earlier this weekend).

I think it might be more believable that Monster Hunter 5 will come out on both PS4 and Switch.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FireEmblem_Man

@LegatoSkyheart: yes, but they stated that Sony bought marketing rights as well as exclusivity. They also stated that the main Monster Hunter team is working on the Switch with classic MH gameplay, while the PS4 game is with the number scheme and being worked by Capcoms B-team

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

What happened to Monster Hunter Frontier Z?

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

This rumor is all over the map. Main Team, B-team, Western style gameplay to win Japan, and paid exclusivity. Okay...

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3025 Posts

Monster hunter on ps4? Nice!