RUMOR: 3ds redesign with focus on 2d arriving next year!

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

If true then lol. Nintendo clearly rushed this thing out and seem to be entering extreme damage control.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#52 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
I'm calling Bull**** on this. They are already selling the 3DS at a loss, it would be suicide to release another 3DS now.nintendoboy16
But the 3DS already have fail..........a new model is needed.
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
thats stupid. im wanting to buy a 3DS but if this is true i will probably just wait. they better improve the 3d screen tho not take away from it, thats just stupid
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
I'm calling Bull**** on this. They are already selling the 3DS at a loss, it would be suicide to release another 3DS now.nintendoboy16
If this is true than Nintendo is in panic mode and those in charge have no idea what they're doing.

Hell, there's a reason why the original psp never got a second analog stick despite the cries for one.

It would've ended up alienating a large portion of their user base.

Shinobishyguy
They had the balls to release the PSP Go without UMD support. That alienated a huge market...hence why it bombed.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Bread_or_Decide

If true then lol. Nintendo clearly rushed this thing out and seem to be entering extreme damage control.

Kingpin0114
Without "glasses free 3D" they literally have no way to advertise this thing in a significant way that separates it from the Nintendo DS. Are they serious about focusingon 2D? "Nintendo 3DS..now in amazing TWO DIMENSIONS!!!"
Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
They should be giving those nub add ons away for free in my opinion.
Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Jipset
Member since 2008 • 2410 Posts
Coming out with a new version that changes the gameplay would be console suicide.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Horrible idea if true. THey HAVE to wait atleast 2 years for a revision. And how the hell is an add on analog stick even going to work? that doesn't make any sense...

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

I find this hard to believe because it would be a financial Hail Mary.

If the new device didn't succeed, the development and marketing costs would probably put them out of business.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Thus is a very bad idea for ninty. They should scrap this plan if this plan is a rumor.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#63 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

Horrible idea if true. THey HAVE to wait atleast 2 years for a revision. And how the hell is an add on analog stick even going to work? that doesn't make any sense...

VendettaRed07

Myabe like a nunchuk lol. I'm sure there will be a revision but I don't think that will be it because aside from only 1 analog stick it also has some odd button placements that most of us who played the original find more than a little uncomfortable.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i'm not getting that one i'm waiting for the 3ds 2d lite micro xl pocket red mario edition.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Everytime I get a reason to buy a 3DS, I get 2 reasons why I should hold off on the purchase and wait it out. I'm still waiting to play my copy of Zelda OoT 3D that I bought a long time ago with plans of buying the system as well, but things like this keep on coming out making me want to wait it out until a better product is released. I am certainly glad that I didn't buy a 3DS when I bought Zelda like I was planning on doing, because it was $250 then and they dropped the price like 2 or 3 weeks after, I would have been pissed had I bought it then.

I'm just gonna wait until next year or the year after that when they get all these issues ironed out.

doomguy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#66 doomguy9
Member since 2011 • 355 Posts

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]i will wait for the next 3DS model.....i mean the next DS model.The 3D on the 3DS is just a gimmick.ChubbyGuy40

Unfortunately for you there will be no new DS models. Ds is dead, 3DS is it's successor.

And what's wrong with gimmicks? You say it as if that's a bad thing :|

There's nothing really wrong with gimmicks, the problem is that in my opinion 3D doesn't "add" anything, not to games and not to movies. You can't expect the 3D to sell a system, it needs to be supported by a good line up of games, something that the 3DS lacks at the moment.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Two analog nubs according to this rumor? Looks like my criticism of the 3DS' lack of dual analogs was spot on. Mmm, delicious.musicalmac

Curious decision if the touchscreen is better than an analog like sheep like to say.

Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Jipset

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]i will wait for the next 3DS model.....i mean the next DS model.The 3D on the 3DS is just a gimmick.doomguy9

Unfortunately for you there will be no new DS models. Ds is dead, 3DS is it's successor.

There's nothing really wrong with gimmicks, the problem is that in my opinion 3D doesn't "add" anything, not to games and not to movies. You can't expect the 3D to sell a system, it needs to be supported by a good line up of games, something that the 3DS lacks at the moment.

I disagree. When used correctly, 3D can be breathtaking. Idk if you've seen Avatar, but it almost felt like you were on Pandora.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="doomguy9"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Jipset

I disagree. When used correctly, 3D can be breathtaking. Idk if you've seen Avatar, but it almost felt like you were on Pandora.

Then you have people saying they prefer the improved clarity and color palate of simply watching it in 1080p.

Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Jipset

Everytime I get a reason to buy a 3DS, I get 2 reasons why I should hold off on the purchase and wait it out. I'm still waiting to play my copy of Zelda OoT 3D that I bought a long time ago with plans of buying the system as well, but things like this keep on coming out making me want to wait it out until a better product is released. I am certainly glad that I didn't buy a 3DS when I bought Zelda like I was planning on doing, because it was $250 then and they dropped the price like 2 or 3 weeks after, I would have been pissed had I bought it then.

I'm just gonna wait until next year or the year after that when they get all these issues ironed out.

arkephonic
A couple months ago Nintendo said that they weren't planning a revision, but I took it with a grain of salt. I got screwed over when I bought the original DS one month before the Lite was announced, and I promised myself that I wouldn't buy a Nintendo handheld until a revision came out. :P
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#71 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
Good to hear that, and I'm glad I waited for the redesign, I hope if the system has 3D at least make it easy on the eyes.
Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Jipset

[QUOTE="Jipset"][QUOTE="doomguy9"]

topgunmv

Then you have people saying they prefer the improved clarity and color palate of simply watching it in 1080p.

lol I haven't watched it on blu-ray yet, but James Cameron said that with the sequel he wants theaters to make the screen a lot brighter and stuff.
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

If look back at history i think this is not surprising at all. Nintendo cant make one good design, they always need fix and make new versions.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Now, I could see a redesign in the works, but I don't think it's going to be anything drastic like adding a second analog stick.

Better battery life and screens maybe.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="doomguy9"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Jipset

I find that 3D on an NVidia 3D Vision setup, when played with a game properly optimized and intended for it, is quite an outstanding experience myself. I could never go back to playing Batman Arkham Asylum in 2D. It's hard to explain just how amazing the environment looked in 3D on a big-screen monitor... and the incredible sense of depth it added to the game as Batman leapt around, cape fluttering.

As someone who owns both that and a 3DS, there is no comparison whatsoever to the autostereoscopic 3D on a 3.5" screen though. It's convenient, for sure, since glasses aren't required. I think it's a pretty cool addition, but it's not really an outstanding addition. The 3D effect is just an entirely different experience on a handheld that small.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

Please be true, PLEASE.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Two analog nubs according to this rumor? Looks like my criticism of the 3DS' lack of dual analogs was spot on. Mmm, delicious.musicalmac
Yes, a tastey treat for those of us wanting one. The tone down of the 3D is a huge blow to Nintendo and their ego if true.
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

Jipset

A couple months ago Nintendo said that they weren't planning a revision, but I took it with a grain of salt. I got screwed over when I bought the original DS one month before the Lite was announced, and I promised myself that I wouldn't buy a Nintendo handheld until a revision came out. :P

I also bought the original DS model, but after I completed Mario 64 DS, I returned it to the store I bought for a full refund and used that money to buy a Gamecube and some games. I ended up getting a DS Lite when it came out later on, and it was a much better device than the original.

I completely agree with you, never buy a Nintendo handheld when it first comes out. Always wait for a revision. Now that I'm older and have a good deal of patience, especially when it comes to things as insignificant as video games, I can easily wait things out like price drops, revisions, release dates etc. whereas back when I was younger, I always wanted the satisfaction of having things when they first came out. No one punishes you more than Nintendo does for becoming an early adopter of their hardware, at least regarding their handhelds, not so much their home consoles.

skanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 skanjos
Member since 2006 • 647 Posts

i will be really angry if this happens ,every 3ds owner will be.we bought a system and we expect nintendo to keep the games coming for this hardware for at least 5 years.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
Good to hear that, and I'm glad I waited for the redesign, I hope if the system has 3D at least make it easy on the eyes.Darthkaiser
I personally find the 3D on the 3DS much easier on the eyes than cinema 3D. Probably because it is more subtle but also because you don't have the inward facing sun glasses that give the cross eyed effect. I was surprised how quickly my eyes adjusted and playing for a couple of hours left no feelings of aches at all, the same can't be said in my experience with cinema 3D. I also find it easy to adjust to the 3D on the 3DS look at the touch screen or around the room and my eyes don't need adjusting at all. The only thing they could improve is viewing angles, being able to play games like face raiders in 3D while sitting down and have 3D from all angles will greatly improve the experience.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Bread_or_Decide
So now people who planned to purchase with the price drop have to second guess their purchase? Geez.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Sounds like BS. There may be a redesign but not a drastical one.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#86 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Add on analogue stick for current 3DS models? :P How on earth would you make that work?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#87 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Oh snap. I'll be glad to have the old version if they are reducing the 3D effect. I like it :)
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts

If any of these rumors prove true, this is a major win for traditional gaming. Nintendo is learning the hard way that gimmicks only get you so far.

Wasdie
And a major lost to early buyers :/
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

If the rumor is that Nintendo is stripping the 3D out of the 3DS, that's a sign that 3D may just be a little gimmick. Also if they have to add in a second analog joystick.

ChubbyGuy40

The problem I have with the 3D is that it doesn't pop-out like shutter glasses do. It creates depth, but backwards, not forwards like people expect. I love it at the same time, as it gives the idea of more "room" so the screen doesn't feel that small, if that makes any sense.

This is more than likely because they used basically the first glasses-less 3D screen of it's kind. If anything, the redesign, if there is one, should include an even BETTER screen for 3D. Sharp has more than likely improved the model vastly since it was developed 2 years ago.

You're assuming that because the 3D element is on the screen, it can't move beyond it. This is incorrect. First of all shutter glasses simply block one eye from seeing the image intended for the other. That's it. The eyes remain focused on the display. Functionally there is no difference between these two methods. Whether something pops out or recedes depends solely on the difference between the two images.
resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

nintendo already debunk this rumor

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts
lets just be clear here. Fact: ninty are having a 3DS trade conference in sept. there will be a major announcement. rumour: the 3DS is getting an overhaul. i just want to remind people who are taking it as fact that ninty are bringing the 3DS in for an overhaul and are thus claiming the 3DS is epic fail. maybe they are..maybe they are not. i can think of a far more major announcement for the 3DS that would be more specific to japan. monster hunter coming exclusively to the 3DS (no vita MH games) and/or 3DS exclusive dragon quest. that would be major there. if there thinking more worldwide for this announcement then maybe they have bagged an FF7 remake exclusive for the 3DS from square (its the only platform available at the mo besides the wii that a remake can feasibly be done from a cost perspective). im just also speculating like mad though...everyone doing it so why not me? :P. the 3DS redesign rumour seems more like wishful thinking from some corners of the internet. although ninty are not new to redesigns, none of them have been that drastic and the 3DS is not so flawed as to need that kind of drastic ovrhaul. however it has stayed my hand in a purchase (well that and games...xenoblade, deus ex this month...i think theres a couple next month....argh!)...the rumour is enough :P. i want to see what there up to.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

If any of these rumors prove true, this is a major win for traditional gaming. Nintendo is learning the hard way that gimmicks only get you so far.

Wasdie
Traditional Handheld Gaming doesn't and hasn't been about being "me too" with multiple analog sticks on handheld consoles, if anything this is a huge loss for it if Nintendo has decided to make their handhelds portable home consoles just like sony
mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

I believe that a new model will come out, judging on their past handheld releases. I don't think the rest is true though.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

darth-pyschosis
Traditional Handheld Gaming doesn't and hasn't been about being "me too" with multiple analog sticks on handheld consoles, if anything this is a huge loss for it if Nintendo has decided to make their handhelds portable home consoles just like sony

Nintendo's advantage has traditionally been size and battery life. Though they still have the first, at least when compared to the Vita, unfortunately the current 3DS suffers in the latter area. The next iteration should really focus on improving that battery life.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 darth-pyschosis
[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

Jipset

You felt screw over in 2006 when you bought a phat DS just before the Lite was announced 2 years after the DS came out and you didn't use the fact that the GBA got a redesign 2 years after it came out to help make your purchase decision?
93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#96 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I doubt it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#97 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

ThePlothole

Nintendo's advantage has traditionally been size and battery life. Though they still have the first, at least when compared to the Vita, unfortunately the current 3DS suffers in the latter area. The next iteration should really focus on improving that battery life.

I first want to see the Vita have a better battery life than the 3DS.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 darth-pyschosis
[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

ThePlothole

I get the whole better battery life thing, but everything else would really be silly IMO for handheld gaming. If people have to choose whether to play games that play games that are just like the console versions with little differences then they will always choose the console, at least they have now. Battery Life makes sense, but adding a stick would be a silly idea especially since the touch screen does the job well enough IMO. Handheld gaming is in a dire position right now. Smartphones are delivering the pick up and play games consumers expect from portable devices and if Nintendo and Sony both focus on "We can haz COD too!" type of gaming with multiple sticks then I really think the handheld market would decrease in size. That's just my opinion. I hope, if this second stick and redesign is true it is as follows: A New Battery Attachment like the Nyko Plus Battery that has a second analog wrap around to just under the XYAB, it replaces your old battery, it looks like its made by nintendo and meant to be part of the device and not an eye sore. It sells for $20-$30. Second analog and better battery life. Then next year, all 3DS's ship with this built in, and it's an add on accessory for older owners and games have both the option to use the second stick or not use it. If they are planning to completely kill the 3DS name and platform and rebrand it why not just slap a DS cart slot in the Wii U Tab already? Dropping the name of 3DS is silly, the thing is just now starting to sell well, has a great line up too. My best guess is: Pokemon Grey or Ruby/Sapphire remakes for 3DS only, an exclusive Monster Hunter that uses the second analog add on. Mind you this press conference is in Japan, its going to probably center on things important to the japanese like DQ, MH and Pokemon
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

nintendo already debunk this rumor

resevl4rlz
Really? Got a link to said debunking?
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"] Traditional Handheld Gaming doesn't and hasn't been about being "me too" with multiple analog sticks on handheld consoles, if anything this is a huge loss for it if Nintendo has decided to make their handhelds portable home consoles just like sony

I first want to see the Vita have a better battery life than the 3DS.

Well either the Vita's battery life is going to be laughably bad (eg. 1-2 hours) or there won't be much difference.