Rome 2: Total War Officially Announced -- 2013 GOTY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#101 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Upgrading my PC to monster-levels just for this. :D
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
Wow, loads of fans of Rome Total War :P Is it really that awesomely good? (do note that I've never played it)Desmonic
I would recommend Fall of the Samurai (the shogun 2 standalone expansion) if you wish to have amazing ranged battles. For melee, i recommend Rome or Medieval. BTW, the games aren't totally easy to get into, and can be really hard at times.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

SEGA and Creative Assembly have lifted the lid on Rome II: Total War, showing an impressive 15 minute demo revolving around Roman efforts to reduce Carthage to rubble. The headline new features are a redesigned graphics engine, a greater sense of scale and a stylish new cinematic unit camera.

During the presentation, Creative Assembly walked us through plenty of details about what Rome II intends to offer when it's released in late 2013, and lead designer James Russell spoke about the game's intentions.

• Shogun 2 was set in narrow geographical areas, with limited sets of units - a comparatively small scale to what's being intended with Rome II. It was designed with a focus on game systems, such as engine polishing and improvements to unit pathing.
    • With that in place, Rome II is going big - it's bigger than Rome 1 in geographical scale.
    • The game's key design vision is in taking players from a macro to micro scale, such as jumping from a campaign map to a single unit.
    • Despite that focus, Rome II is still attempting to make its macro scale bigger - we're guessing the senate will play a large part of that, but Creative Assembly won't say just yet.
    • As you rise through the ranks, your success will attract less-than-favourable responses from some of your friends. You will almost definitely get betrayed. There's "more human-level drama on the campaign map" in Rome II.
    • The bigger campaign map has "hundreds" of regions to move your units around, but the game buckets them into provinces to make management easier. The idea is to have you thinking about armies and legions rather than fiddling around with individual units.
    • Ultimately, the game will allow you to decide whether to favour the republic or become Rome's dictator.
    • The game's cameras have been redesigned. You can now lock the camera to single units. In this mode it functions like a sort of documentary cam, shaking while the unit walks ? it's "a soldier's eye view" according to Creative Assembly.
    • The demonstration takes place with a scenario set during the Third Punic War, which took place during 149BC to 146BC. The scenario here is the Siege of Carthage.
    • Rome II: Total War features a new graphics engine, which features particle and deferred lighting.
    • The game can now combine naval and land battles into the same conflict, including naval invasions: in this demo a Roman ship lands on the coast of Carthage.
    • Naval units now have more than one ship per unit.
    • Though expected, we see catapults and ballistae being put to good use.
    • The demo has a big focus on Roman siege towers, and the snap-to unit camera takes the view of the game inside the siege tower itself.
    • Conflicts take place over much bigger environments - much of Carthage has been recreated in the demo. To accommodate this extra scale, the game now features a top-down tactical map.
    • There are multiple ways to capture cities. Walls can be reduced to rubble after they've sustained enough damage, for instance. It's designed to create cat-and-mouse gameplay: "You're not just sitting in the plaza once the walls are breached trying to defend that one area"
    • There's a real oomph when units engage, with walls of shields colliding.
    • The new graphics engine can show some impressive fidelity for a game of this scale. We can clearly see that Cathage's walls have graffiti.
    • Buildings crumble in the background as Carthage deploys its war elephants and the demo ends.
  • The unit camera has been designed so the game feels like it's "almost Saving Private Ryan at the beaches".
  • Each unit has its own facial animations, and leaders bark out a stream of orders throughout. each confrontation.
  • Units react to things, such as their colleagues being slaughtered - the idea is that these aren't idenikit clone armies anymore.

Awesome live action trailer : http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/07/02/total-war-rome-ii-faces-of-rome-live-action-trailer

My biggest wish for PC-gaming have been granted and most of my fears have been dealt with. I just hope that we'll see the same amount of faction variety as with Rome 1.

danish-death

83a.gif

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Hell yeah. Rome Total War is the t!ts. One of my single greatest video game memories lies with Rome. >Campaigning through Egypt hoping to conquer >Underestimate the size of enemy forces >Get stomped on during a major battle and forced to retreat. >Moving my army across North Africa, I realize my army will never make it; 4 Egyptian armies in pursuit/surrounding >Dig in, build a fort and hope to hold out as long as I can until my own reinforcements arrive. >Fight off attack after attack for months with my small force of only a couple of hundred. >When it looks like all hope is lost, my reinforcements arrive and drive of Egyptians. >Take my rag tag army, new reinforcements and conquer Egypt after all. Epic as f*ck. Never forget.
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#105 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
Upgrading my PC to monster-levels just for this. :DNinja-Hippo
I have a gtx 580, but I'm worried that my i5 760 is a bit too weak :o
therancors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 therancors
Member since 2005 • 709 Posts
YEEESSS, Rome has always been my favorite.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Upgrading my PC to monster-levels just for this. :Ddanish-death

i5 760 does the job just fine for Battlefield 3, and i can't see Rome 2 being more taxing than BF3.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]Wow, loads of fans of Rome Total War :P Is it really that awesomely good? (do note that I've never played it)kris9031998
I would recommend Fall of the Samurai (the shogun 2 standalone expansion) if you wish to have amazing ranged battles. For melee, i recommend Rome or Medieval. BTW, the games aren't totally easy to get into, and can be really hard at times.

Actually I would recommend Shogun 2 or Rome for melee and Empire/Napoleon for ranged combat.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Awesome news! :D
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9864 Posts

Well that sounds totally awesome :D!

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 kris9031998
[QUOTE="kris9031998"][QUOTE="Desmonic"]Wow, loads of fans of Rome Total War :P Is it really that awesomely good? (do note that I've never played it)Desmonic

Hmm, I might give them a go. Migh as well do something with all this free vacation time right? :P hehe They are RTS right? I do find those more challenging, but ultimately more fun when I get it right :D

It's a hybrid. The campagin map is a TBS, with you managing your country/clan, like things involving economy, buildings, armies, etc.. The battles are in RTS, though.
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 kris9031998

[QUOTE="kris9031998"][QUOTE="Desmonic"]Wow, loads of fans of Rome Total War :P Is it really that awesomely good? (do note that I've never played it)sherman-tank1

Actually I would recommend Shogun 2 or Rome for melee and Empire/Napoleon for ranged combat.

I personally hated Empire and Napoleon, and the better technology of FotS make it so good, such as gatling guns, torpedos, armstrong guns, etc.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Arach666"]Oh yeah,finally! :DArach666
Company of Heroes 2 and now Rome 2? OH MY GAWD 2013 IS GOING TO BE AWESOME.

Don´t forget Command & Conquer Generals 2! I can already feel my pants getting really moist. >.>

Pfff, I took my pants off long ago :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="sherman-tank1"]

[QUOTE="kris9031998"] I would recommend Fall of the Samurai (the shogun 2 standalone expansion) if you wish to have amazing ranged battles. For melee, i recommend Rome or Medieval. BTW, the games aren't totally easy to get into, and can be really hard at times.kris9031998

I personally hated Empire and Napoleon, and the better technology of FotS make it so good, such as gatling guns, torpedos, armstrong guns, etc.

Yeah, but there is still a lot of melee units in FoTS so it is more of a hybrid. If you are new and want sraight out firefights Napoleon is probably best, even though it my least favorite Total War.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKglskMfyWA&feature=player_embedded Not sure if posted already.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 wis3boi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKglskMfyWA&feature=player_embedded Not sure if posted already.ShadowDeathX

:shock:

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

If CA don't screw this up with DLC like they did to Shogun 2 I may get it since I love Total War and I'm a sucker for that period in time.

gMcR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 gMcR
Member since 2004 • 216 Posts

I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#120 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts

Let's hope for a better box art this time.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Sega wins. SUPPORT SEGA!
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Let's hope for a better box art this time.

ithilgore2006
When 95% of people will buy it digitally I don't think it matters :?
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

I don't think I will buy another Total War game after Medieval II and Shogun II. So little replay value from one repetitve battle to another. It's the same thing over and over until you eventually get sick of it. The franchise needs to evolve further by implementing real-time building or some sort. Turn-based + cardboard map = lame.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

Found some high res screenshots. This game looks incredible:

Rome-2-Naval-Invasion.jpg

Rome-2-Street-fighting.jpg

Open in a new screen/tab to view full size

:shock:

Read the preview here

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#126 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Wow, I'm absolutely excited for this, hype level is over the roof!:D

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 R4gn4r0k

Are those gameplay screens? If so, then just WOW! :o

Desmonic

Yeah it's gameplay

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

R4gn4r0k

Yeah it's gameplay

i remember when shotgun 2 was first shown and everyone just couldn't believe it was gameplay.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 wis3boi

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

lawlessx

Yeah it's gameplay

i remember when shotgun 2 was first shown and everyone just couldn't believe it was gameplay.

I'm still shoked Rome 1 was possible at all

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#131 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Found some high res screenshots. This game looks incredible:

Rome-2-Naval-Invasion.jpg

Rome-2-Street-fighting.jpg

R4gn4r0k

Body....

Body wasn't ready...

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
I hope they can release a special addition for the next xbox/playstation,rts games have not translated well at all this generation of consoles,i believe a controller can work but these kind of games are usually very resource intensive and current systems can cope with that much action on screen at once.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I don't think I will buy another Total War game after Medieval II and Shogun II. So little replay value from one repetitve battle to another. It's the same thing over and over until you eventually get sick of it. The franchise needs to evolve further by implementing real-time building or some sort. Turn-based + cardboard map = lame.

Mr_BillGates

I disagree, each of the games are different to each other, Rome and Medieval are probably the most similar but Empire/Napoleonic and shogun are very different beasties that require different strategies to be sucessful in a game.

Shogun 2 is probably the worst example of the Total war games, in that every faction has access to much the same units, but that's civil war for you and a daft mechanic that allows the attacker to have easier movement through a castle than the defender in a siege battle. Fall of the Samurai expansion changes some of that, by adding late 19th century units there is a great deal more variety in battle formations. Though it doesn't deal with the siege problem, which is due to the lack of seige units, such as ladders and battering rams. Having said that I enjoy playing Shogun 2 (apart from the siege battles ;) which I usually skip, unless the odds are heavily against me, then I'll play them).

I'm looking forward to marching my Macedonian phalanxes and Gaulish barbarian mercenaries through the gates of Rome again :)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Wasdie  Moderator

I just read the preview. Oh my God. This is exactly what the series needed. Shogun 2 was great and all, but it was still built on the Empire Total War engine which had a lot of drawbacks.

The ideas they have for the campaign map are brilliant, the battle sound amazing, and there seems to be a ton more variety than any previous game.

It's going to blow 2013 away.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Wasdie  Moderator

I hope they can release a special addition for the next xbox/playstation,rts games have not translated well at all this generation of consoles,i believe a controller can work but these kind of games are usually very resource intensive and current systems can cope with that much action on screen at once.blacktorn

Never going to happen. This is one of the last series that truely embraces every aspect of the PC. From the utilization of the hardware to the way they control, they'll never bother with a spin off that limits them.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 kris9031998
I hope they can release a special addition for the next xbox/playstation,rts games have not translated well at all this generation of consoles,i believe a controller can work but these kind of games are usually very resource intensive and current systems can cope with that much action on screen at once.blacktorn
That would be terrible. I mean REALLY terrible.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

Hell yeah. Rome Total War is the t!ts. One of my single greatest video game memories lies with Rome. >Campaigning through Egypt hoping to conquer >Underestimate the size of enemy forces >Get stomped on during a major battle and forced to retreat. >Moving my army across North Africa, I realize my army will never make it; 4 Egyptian armies in pursuit/surrounding >Dig in, build a fort and hope to hold out as long as I can until my own reinforcements arrive. >Fight off attack after attack for months with my small force of only a couple of hundred. >When it looks like all hope is lost, my reinforcements arrive and drive of Egyptians. >Take my rag tag army, new reinforcements and conquer Egypt after all. Epic as f*ck. Never forget.AcidSoldner

I had a similar experience in Shogun 2

After conquering about 1/2 the map, I attacked the Shogunate and won.

During the 10 turns you need to hold everything, a massive naval sneak attack too over my home island(still one of the most incredible AI strategies that I have ever seen... It was LITERALLY the only place that I was vulnerable. I had naval and ground supremacy, but my economy was overly dependent on my homelands. Since it was on an island practically inaccessible with ground armies, and since I had such an overwhelming navy, I didn't expect a near suicide attack that cost them 25 ships and close to 6000 soldiers, but they managed to break through and land a small ground army of 600... It was just enough to take over the entire island) and decimated my food resource. Poor Food supply led to famine and that led to rebellion, which made everything else worse.

Before I knew it, I had lost my home island and half of my other cities to rebellion. My army had abandoned the frontline war with everyone else and turned to retake all of the cities that I had lost.

After about 20 turns, I had retaken my home island, but my armies were falling apart. A marauding rebel army was taking city after city, and looked to destroy my entire military force on the mainland.

I split my army and was just trying to take cities back while avoiding the marauding army, but ended up getting my largest force cornered... After a couple battles, they had decimated that army and I was down to 400 units on the mainland. I took up a defensive position in one of my cities and decided that if I was going to lose my entire army then I was going to take as many enemies as possible with me.

200 Samurai and 200 Archers held that city against 20000 soldiers, across 5 turns. They had quite possibly the worst unit composition possible for taking cities, but their sheer numbers alone should have won... It was long enough for my to gather my reinforcements and push my counterattack. I demolished the remaining armies and quickly returned to counterattack the other enemies I had been fighting before the mass rebellions.

If I had continued losing cities, I was going to run out of resources, so holding that city basically won the game for me.

It was the most infuriating and incredible 4 hours of gaming that I had ever experienced.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Is there a gameplay trailer yet?

Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
YESSS
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 R4gn4r0k

I just read the preview. Oh my God. This is exactly what the series needed. Shogun 2 was great and all, but it was still built on the Empire Total War engine which had a lot of drawbacks.

The ideas they have for the campaign map are brilliant, the battle sound amazing, and there seems to be a ton more variety than any previous game.

It's going to blow 2013 away.

Wasdie

The preview sounds very promising indeed. I also read the interview with Rock Paper Shogun.

Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Deevoshun
Member since 2003 • 868 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Hell yeah. Rome Total War is the t!ts. One of my single greatest video game memories lies with Rome. >Campaigning through Egypt hoping to conquer >Underestimate the size of enemy forces >Get stomped on during a major battle and forced to retreat. >Moving my army across North Africa, I realize my army will never make it; 4 Egyptian armies in pursuit/surrounding >Dig in, build a fort and hope to hold out as long as I can until my own reinforcements arrive. >Fight off attack after attack for months with my small force of only a couple of hundred. >When it looks like all hope is lost, my reinforcements arrive and drive of Egyptians. >Take my rag tag army, new reinforcements and conquer Egypt after all. Epic as f*ck. Never forget.KingsMessenger

I had a similar experience in Shogun 2

After conquering about 1/2 the map, I attacked the Shogunate and won.

During the 10 turns you need to hold everything, a massive naval sneak attack too over my home island(still one of the most incredible AI strategies that I have ever seen... It was LITERALLY the only place that I was vulnerable. I had naval and ground supremacy, but my economy was overly dependent on my homelands. Since it was on an island practically inaccessible with ground armies, and since I had such an overwhelming navy, I didn't expect a near suicide attack that cost them 25 ships and close to 6000 soldiers, but they managed to break through and land a small ground army of 600... It was just enough to take over the entire island) and decimated my food resource. Poor Food supply led to famine and that led to rebellion, which made everything else worse.

Before I knew it, I had lost my home island and half of my other cities to rebellion. My army had abandoned the frontline war with everyone else and turned to retake all of the cities that I had lost.

After about 20 turns, I had retaken my home island, but my armies were falling apart. A marauding rebel army was taking city after city, and looked to destroy my entire military force on the mainland.

I split my army and was just trying to take cities back while avoiding the marauding army, but ended up getting my largest force cornered... After a couple battles, they had decimated that army and I was down to 400 units on the mainland. I took up a defensive position in one of my cities and decided that if I was going to lose my entire army then I was going to take as many enemies as possible with me.

200 Samurai and 200 Archers held that city against 20000 soldiers, across 5 turns. They had quite possibly the worst unit composition possible for taking cities, but their sheer numbers alone should have won... It was long enough for my to gather my reinforcements and push my counterattack. I demolished the remaining armies and quickly returned to counterattack the other enemies I had been fighting before the mass rebellions.

If I had continued losing cities, I was going to run out of resources, so holding that city basically won the game for me.

It was the most infuriating and incredible 4 hours of gaming that I had ever experienced.

DAMN! I gave up on Total War far too early, never got back to it. Never went far enough to experience stuff like this. Regret is all I feel now!

I welcome ROME II

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

lol @ RTS games

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#145 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

lol @ RTS games

Harisemo

Lol @ ignorant console fan boys

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#146 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
[QUOTE="danish-death"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Upgrading my PC to monster-levels just for this. :DNinja-Hippo

i5 760 does the job just fine for Battlefield 3, and i can't see Rome 2 being more taxing than BF3.

Total War games have always been more CPU intensive.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
I've been waiting for this for so loooooooong! Thank god.
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

ALL ROME WILL BE AMAZED AT SUCH A VICTORY! THE DAY IS OUUURS!

Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

I cannot wait to seize barbarian lands for the SPQR again and defend my towns successfully with 1/5th of the attacking army size and inflict disproportionate casualties.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 wis3boi

I wanna do 300 spartans vs. 10,000 peasants again like the old days :P