Rockstar created amazing characters this generation

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

Niko Bellic, John Marston, and Max Payne are awesome characters that are so well realized. I know Max Payne isn't a result of R*, but the reimagination of him was brilliant in the latest iteration in the franchise. No developer creates such awesome protagonists like these guys do.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

And? should be blogged. Not exactly SW material

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Max Payne was neither created this generation, nor was he created by Rockstar. This thread sucks.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
Rockstar did not make Max Payne compelling in Max Payne 3. He really sucked to be honest. Niko Bellic is pretty sweet, but yeah, John Marston is probably one of the best video game characters ever made. That's some film level badassery they made there.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Rockstar didnt create Max Payne, Remedy did. And David Cage created even better characters. Look up Ethan Mars, Norman Jayden, Madison Paige, and Scott Shelby if you want to see characters that have defined this generation
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I liked Nico Belic alot. And to all of you sayin Russians don't sound like that, I HAVE A RUSSIAN FRIEND WHO SOUNDS JUST LIKE THAT.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I agree, I could really FEEL the way Roman wanted those "beeg american teetees".
Rockstar didnt create Max Payne, Remedy did. And David Cage created even better characters. Look up Ethan Mars, Norman Jayden, Madison Paige, and Scott Shelby if you want to see characters that have defined this generationBPoole96
JAAAASOOON...JA...SOOOOONNN....JASON!
Inotian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Inotian
Member since 2012 • 274 Posts

Like the others have said , Max was last gen. Sorry.

Niko's goals and views on life did not matter at all, seeing how he did ultimately evil things the entire game.Though he was a awesome dude.

John is.... no words can describe his awesomeness.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FrozenLiquid
Rockstar didnt create Max Payne, Remedy did. And David Cage created even better characters. Look up Ethan Mars, Norman Jayden, Madison Paige, and Scott Shelby if you want to see characters that have defined this generationBPoole96
No. David Cage creates bad characters. None of them are nuanced; all of them have unrealistic reasons for doing what they do. And this guy is French. He's suppose to be able to do character dramas well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

I actually enjoyed the New Max Payne character. He retained the traits Remedy gave him, but he wasn't overly metaphorical like he was before. He used to sound like some character created by 12 year old kids who were making a noir film for their media studies project

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FrozenLiquid

I actually enjoyed the New Max Payne character. He retained the traits Remedy gave him, but he wasn't overly metaphorical like he was before. He used to sound like some character created by 12 year old kids who were making a noir film for their media studies project

OB-47
I usually tell people that Remedy's brand of noir is a highly clichéd version of what noir is, but it also borders on parody at the with his constant narration and whacked out monologues. The problem with Max in MP3 is that there's almost no character development across the story. Three quarters of the time he's in the "my life is f*cked up, this place sucks" mode, with no hills or valleys to his personality. I dunno if you got up to it, but the moment him and Fabiana start trying to get out of the mess they're in, things start to pick up, but it's really late in the game.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]Rockstar didnt create Max Payne, Remedy did. And David Cage created even better characters. Look up Ethan Mars, Norman Jayden, Madison Paige, and Scott Shelby if you want to see characters that have defined this generationFrozenLiquid
No. David Cage creates bad characters. None of them are nuanced; all of them have unrealistic reasons for doing what they do. And this guy is French. He's suppose to be able to do character dramas well.

The pain and suffering that Ethan Mars endures to save his son is truly a testament to the bond between a father and son. The ending brought tears to my eyes due to the characterization that had been developed throughout the story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]Rockstar didnt create Max Payne, Remedy did. And David Cage created even better characters. Look up Ethan Mars, Norman Jayden, Madison Paige, and Scott Shelby if you want to see characters that have defined this generationBPoole96

The pain and suffering that Ethan Mars endures to save his son is truly a testament to the bond between a father and son. The ending brought tears to my eyes due to the characterization that had been developed throughout the story

If it's that easy to create endearing characters now days, than give me a job as a writer today dammit.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FrozenLiquid

Like the others have said , Max was last gen. Sorry.

Niko's goals and views on life did not matter at all, seeing how he did ultimately evil things the entire game.Though he was a awesome dude.

John is.... no words can describe his awesomeness.

Inotian
Unless you were breaking his character during the free roaming sections of the game, then I understand. But Niko doing bad stuff in canon was the irony of his time in NYC.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BPoole96
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]I agree, I could really FEEL the way Roman wanted those "beeg american teetees".

One of the most touching moments ever in a video games. I can't imagine losing a child in a shopping mall and having them die :(
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]Rockstar didnt create Max Payne, Remedy did. And David Cage created even better characters. Look up Ethan Mars, Norman Jayden, Madison Paige, and Scott Shelby if you want to see characters that have defined this generationBPoole96

Yeah, they totally had me at JASOOON, JASOOON, JASOOON. No, it was utter crap mate. Hell, it was so bad, even Fable 2's hollow babymaking system tugged more heartstrings than Heavy Rain.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"] No. David Cage creates bad characters. None of them are nuanced; all of them have unrealistic reasons for doing what they do. And this guy is French. He's suppose to be able to do character dramas well.OB-47

If it's that easy to create endearing characters now days, than give me a job as a writer today dammit.

Do it! Just make sure you work at Sony so you can fully express your creative passions
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Max Payne was neither created this generation, nor was he created by Rockstar. This thread sucks.

He kinda said that in his post...please read.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BPoole96
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"] No. David Cage creates bad characters. None of them are nuanced; all of them have unrealistic reasons for doing what they do. And this guy is French. He's suppose to be able to do character dramas well.

Yeah, they totally had me at JASOOON, JASOOON, JASOOON. No, it was utter crap mate. Hell, it was so bad, even Fable 2's hollow babymaking system tugged more heartstrings than Heavy Rain.

Heavy Rain's story is very mature and not for everyone. When you're a little older I suggest going back and playing through the game so you can truly appreciate David Cage's creative vision
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"] No. David Cage creates bad characters. None of them are nuanced; all of them have unrealistic reasons for doing what they do. And this guy is French. He's suppose to be able to do character dramas well.

JAASSSSOOON!!!!!
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] The pain and suffering that Ethan Mars endures to save his son is truly a testament to the bond between a father and son. The ending brought tears to my eyes due to the characterization that had been developed throughout the storyBPoole96

Heavy Rain's story is very mature and not for everyone. When you're a little older I suggest going back and playing through the game so you can truly appreciate David Cage's creative vision

Oh god..:lol:

Besides, if anything its the opposite. We tend to fall in love with crap in our youth and realize the crap that it was later on.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]I agree, I could really FEEL the way Roman wanted those "beeg american teetees". [QUOTE="BPoole96"]Rockstar didnt create Max Payne, Remedy did. And David Cage created even better characters. Look up Ethan Mars, Norman Jayden, Madison Paige, and Scott Shelby if you want to see characters that have defined this generationBPoole96

One of the most touching moments ever in a video games. I can't imagine losing a child in a shopping mall and having them die :(

I think it would save you a lot of money in the future, depending on how young the child was ofc.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#23 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Ethan Mars was awful.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Bioware created amazing characters this generation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

brucecambell

Yeah, Shepard was sexual fiend aswell as the saviour of the earth? That is characterisation at it's finest

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

First off, this isn't exactly SW material and sounds like some miniblog.

Second, Rockstar didn't make Max Payne, nor was he made this generation. Remedy made him, over a decade ago.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="tagyhag"] JAAAASOOON...JA...SOOOOONNN....JASON!tagyhag

I think it would save you a lot of money in the future, depending on how young the child was ofc.

You'll make an outstanding mother one day :D
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FrozenLiquid
[QUOTE="soapman72"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] The pain and suffering that Ethan Mars endures to save his son is truly a testament to the bond between a father and son. The ending brought tears to my eyes due to the characterization that had been developed throughout the story

JAASSSSOOON!!!!!

JASOOOON JASOOOON BALLOOON DIE MATURE
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

John Marston, amazing??? :lol:

Inotian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Inotian
Member since 2012 • 274 Posts

John Marston, amazing??? :lol:

themajormayor

What's wrong with him? He's a solid, down to earth gentleman . And best of all, he's actually a good guy.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#31 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

RDR and MP3 have been just amazing games. I was dissapointed with GTA IV, but I just LOVE RDR and Mp3.

THey also did an epic job on the PC version of MP3, it honestly looks a gen ahead of current consoles.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I liked Nico Bellic a lot.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Niko and Roman are awesome, people still go around yelling NIKO MY COUSIN, DO YOU WANT TO GO BOWLING?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#34 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The only character I feel can be considered "great" by them is John Marston. Other than that, no.

UnrealLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 UnrealLegend
Member since 2009 • 5888 Posts

I agree.

It's not just the protagonists that are great as well. Brucie, Yusef, Packie, etc are all great characters.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]I agree, I could really FEEL the way Roman wanted those "beeg american teetees".

Most annoying part of the whole game lol
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I'd be very interested in seeing an explanation as to how John Marston is an "amazing character". Could have replaced him with a block of wood with an angry expression doodled on its side and wearing a cow boy hat, experience would have been the same.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 navyguy21
I'd be very interested in seeing an explanation as to how John Marston is an "amazing character". Could have replaced him with a block of wood with an angry expression doodled on its side and wearing a cow boy hat, experience would have been the same.meetroid8
lol, sounds more like Saints Row :P
WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#40 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

Though Niko and John Marston are great, a lot of their more minor characters can be pretty inconsistent. That's ultimately what ruined Red Dead Redemption's story for me. Sure, Marston is a great character, but almost all of the supporting cast were just lame 2D caricatures. How can someone write a character as interesting as John Marston and then populate the rest of the game with such original and ingenious characters as: a drunk Irishman, a sleazy merchant, a shady government agent, a badass retired gunslinger, and the list goes on.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 navyguy21

Though Niko and John Marston are great, a lot of their more minor characters can be pretty inconsistent. That's ultimately what ruined Red Dead Redemption's story for me. Sure, Marston is a great character, but almost all of the supporting cast were just lame 2D caricatures. How can someone write a character as interesting as John Marston and then populate the rest of the game with such original and ingenious characters as: a drunk Irishman, a sleazy merchant, a shady government agent, a badass retired gunslinger, and the list goes on.

WTA2k5
GTA had a ton of great characters though. I still remember the first time i met Little Jacob
WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#42 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

[QUOTE="WTA2k5"]

navyguy21

GTA had a ton of great characters though. I still remember the first time i met Little Jacob

Agreed. I can't think of a single character that I really disiked in GTA4. I disliked pretty much everyone in RDR, though.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14899 Posts

WTA2k5
Bingo.... The supporting cast was a HUGE problem...they were all one dimenisional joke characters.........although Bonnie and the Marshall were great. They ruined Luisa's character, Reyes was the worst.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="brucecambell"]

OB-47

Yeah, Shepard was sexual fiend aswell as the saviour of the earth? That is characterisation at it's finest

No characters this gen beat the Holy Trinity of Liara, Garrus, and Tali. Hell, EDI became such an amazing character as well. And in ME3, Female Shepard was amazing as well.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#45 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I won't be impressed until they make a video game version of Kilgore from Apocalypse Now.

M13L13S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 M13L13S
Member since 2010 • 3819 Posts

I can't seak for GTA IV because I haven't played it much or Max Payne, but the characters in RDR were great and very well done. Marston in particular was an excellent and realistic character.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 texasgoldrush

I can't seak for GTA IV because I haven't played it much or Max Payne, but the characters in RDR were great and very well done. Marston in particular was an excellent and realistic character.

M13L13S
He was, the rest aren't. They are all one dimensional caricatures outside of Bonnie McFarlane, who drown out the story with their stupid problems. RDR is easily overrated by critics who think Rockstar storytelling reaches the level of movies....not even close.
Padrepride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 Padrepride
Member since 2007 • 601 Posts

No love for Cole Phelps and Jack Kelso? I know Noire was a Bondi game but it was still released under the Rockstar label

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

First off, this isn't exactly SW material and sounds like some miniblog.

Second, Rockstar didn't make Max Payne, nor was he made this generation. Remedy made him, over a decade ago.

SPYDER0416

You and every other moron here that said this needs to read the entire post!!!!! So **** dumb, seriously.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

I found all of GTA IV's cast awful. They all sounded forced and most of them were genuinely annoying.

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"] No. David Cage creates bad characters. None of them are nuanced; all of them have unrealistic reasons for doing what they do. And this guy is French. He's suppose to be able to do character dramas well.BPoole96

LOL at Heavy Rain being mature, serious story telling..... I'll just leave these here. Heavy Rain falls flat on its face when it comes to presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_56257iS77A

http://www.gamesradar.com/the-10-most-distracting-things-in-heavy-rain/