Rise of the Triad - 5.5

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

While I agree with the complaints, I think the score is way too harsh. I would say its a good game (not a mediocore one) and if quicksaving and optimisation issues can be fixed then it will easily be a great game. Despite its flaws you get quite a bit of fun for only 15 dollars. 

bigmoobys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bigmoobys
Member since 2013 • 146 Posts
the reviewers are call of duty players expect every game to be a linear handholding rollercoaster just like it. their opinions have no effect on me buying a game
bigmoobys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bigmoobys
laughable the ''bad'' Overuse of environmental hazards and jumping puzzles Can we say inexperienced fps players? Thanks for saying im a f*cking ''n00b''
bigmoobys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bigmoobys
''The Bad Rage-inducing single-player checkpoint save system'' QUIT DYING YOU GODDAMN CASUAL GET SOME SKILL PROBLEM SOLVED
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Once the optimization and bugs are fixed this will surely be a must-buy for anyone that loves old school shooters.

With the gameplay itself there seems to be nothing wrong. You either like old school shooters like this, or you don't.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
Serious Sam 3: BFE suffered from the same problem, with the "professional" reviewers finding the game too hard.
Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

I just find the checkpoint system weird choice considering that the original had free saves. 

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Ye the reviewer is obviously a casual fps COD player, Iam loving this game so far, one of the most funnest fps Iv played in a long time, it does a have a few bugs and performance issues, but not unplayble. Funny thing is, this game is the same price as a COD map pack, that offeres 4 maps, while this offeres a full game, with SP and MP, that is better than any COD game.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

Ye the reviewer is obviously a casual fps COD player, Iam loving this game so far, one of the most funnest fps Iv played in a long time, it does a have a few bugs and performance issues, but not unplayble. Funny thing is, this game is the same price as a COD map pack, that offeres 4 maps, while this offeres a full game, with SP and MP, that is better than any COD game.

ultimate-k
truth.
Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts

Wait, they scored it 5.5? How did I miss that?

The multiplayer alone makes it a better game than that, nevermind the value proposition in it ($15 is a stupidly good price).

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

ROTT!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: 

I haven't played that game since the mid-90's.  I've been on a retro buying binge here lately.

Doom Classic Complete is ruling my life right now.  $15 seems a little steep for ROTT.  Did it have many expansions?

Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts

ROTT!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: 

I haven't played that game since the mid-90's.  I've been on a retro buying binge here lately.

Doom Classic Complete is ruling my life right now.  $15 seems a little steep for ROTT.  Did it have many expansions?

Boddicker

It's a new one my man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFLNrfc4HKY

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#14 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts
I swear, everytime I see Rise of the Triad, I keep thinking the IP is about the kind of Chinese gang.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#15 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
I'll pick it up when it's on sale. I own the original (and the GOG version) still in its jewel case. Such a classic.
ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 ShadowofSonic
Member since 2009 • 24616 Posts
[QUOTE="bigmoobys"]the reviewers are call of duty players expect every game to be a linear handholding rollercoaster just like it.

No.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

What?!?! Another PC exclusive flop? More games, equal more flops. Loving all the damage control from hermits. Too funny. Let's see if Gamespot got it right or not?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rise-of-the-triad

Looks like they took it a little too low as usual, but it's still a flop even by Metacritics standards.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

I'll pick it up when it's on sale. I own the original (and the GOG version) still in its jewel case. Such a classic.Stevo_the_gamer

Nostalgia engaged

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

What?!?! Another PC exclusive flop? More games, equal more flops. Loving all the damage control from hermits. Too funny. Let's see if Gamespot got it right or not?

Looks like they took it a little too low as usual, but it's still a flop even by Metacritics standards.

blackace

It's not a flop as there was no hype thread or score prediction.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

blackace

Worry not,the PS3 still has the best flops,even with less games.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

blackace
Has to have a hype thread to be a flop. Still, it also shows the level this industry has sunk too when old school shooters are marked down for being "hard and unforgiving".
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#22 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Optimization can be fixed somehow by modifying some files. The checkpoints I agree though. But for what little I played, it is a great game that captures the feeling of the original RoTT.

In the end, the review score doesnt have to matter. This game was made in mind for people that love and miss the old school feeling instead of the linear shooters that are released these days.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

games got serious performance issues.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Just about everyone buying such FPS games knows they're niche and unlikely to receive widespread praise from critics/circles that simply didn't enjoy old school style FPS games. The same thing happened with Hard Reset--a ton of publications gave it 6/10s, etc, yet it was an amazing game for fans of the style. The optimisation issues hopefully will be solved, and as for the checkpoint system....personally, I think it's just like Hard Reset--the devs do it to ratch the difficulty up. It is harder to have to go through an entire area than it is to load up a save right before you're about to do the more difficult parts of the map. It doesn't ruin the game for me though. 

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ReadingRainbow4

This games more dukenukem than forever ever will be, apparently the develeopers of this are the same ones that were working on the duke nukem 3d reboot that gearbox shut down.

now if only it was dukenukem, lol. Never played ROTT, but these guys really remind me of nazi's.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

This games more dukenukem than forever ever will be, apparently the develeopers of this are the same ones that were working on the duke nukem 3d reboot that gearbox shut down.

now if only it was dukenukem, lol. Never played ROTT, but these guys really remind me of nazi's.

ReadingRainbow4

Well ROTT was originally meant to be a Wolfenstein 3d sequel

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ReadingRainbow4

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

way2funny

Well ROTT was originally meant to be a Wolfenstein 3d sequel

It seems so, the first few stages that I've played gave me massive flashbacks to return to castle wolfenstein mixed with quake 3.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
I liked the older game back in its day, was your typical corridor shooter but it was also pretty fresh for its time, had bullet holes, breakable glass, was pretty violent, had great weapons, and shrooms ^_^ . It was ahead of its time (at the time). I liked the dual pistols. Anyhow, this new game looks like a modern remake of the old school corridor shooter, seems like it could be fun in that regard, but this is not a game for everybody, especially young people who never had run their games from the DOS command prompt, they won't remember games like these.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Unfortunately, the single-player campaign has some problems that can be a major buzz-kill. For starters, ROTT uses an unforgiving checkpoint save system. One particular sequence places you in a room dominated by a perpetually circling array of blade-covered blocks. Next is a room with a half-dozen rocket-launcher-toting goons, followed by a chamber with a bridge that rotates clockwise over an instant death pit. You must then make a harrowing leap across the pit while dodging a laser. One mistake sends you back to the blades and blocks room, screaming in impotent rage.

I mean, what the hell did the reviewer expect? Regenerating health? Cover system? Other casual crap? It's an old school title when FPS games were actually difficult to master and success gave a rewarding gaming experience. And he actually takes that as a CON?!

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
I stopped paying attention to reviews on this site awhile ago, so I'll have to pick this up sometime.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I'm generally skeptical of "old school" FPS games. Many of the ones I've gotten the chance to play feel like they lack any sort of substance to them, and are the very definition of mindless point-and-shoot.

With that said, this game actually looks pretty good.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

There is a reason first person shooters have evolved over time. The same thing happened with the recent Shadowrun. 

People always talk about how great these old games are and how new games ruin the genre. But when these games are remade with the old mechanics, it really shows how dated they have become. They can't hold up to today's standards.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

There is a reason first person shooters have evolved over time. The same thing happened with the recent Shadowrun. 

People always talk about how great these old games are and how new games ruin the genre. But when these games are remade with the old mechanics, it really shows how dated they have become. They can't hold up to today's standards.

15strong

Shadowrun doesn´t even fall into that category,it was mostly criticised because it´s short and lacked a lot of mechanics of those games of old,exactly the opposite of what you´re saying,it´s with the bigger budget ones like Wasteland 2 but especially Project Eternity and Torment Tides of Numenera that things will get serious,those are proper,fully feartured old school RPG´s. And even then,Shadowrun returns has been very well recieved.

So yeah,if they´re made in the way they were back in the day,they most certainly can and will hold up to standards,probably end up being among the best RPG´s in years when they release,especially when we consider how pitiful the genre has been.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

15strong

Shadowrun Returns primarily dissapointed some because of its limited breadth. Unlike older CRPGs like Fallout or Baldur's Gate, Shadowrun Returns didn't feature a large overworld filled with tons of sidequests and secerets. Instead it told a very straight forward narrative, with little interaction outside of that main narrative. The reason they did this is that they knew they couldn't create that type of game within their limited time and budgetary constraints, so they made the game very mod friendly in the hope that people would create that world. 

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ReadingRainbow4

15strong

stop right there..

lol.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#36 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

lol. Have fun with your 5.5 scoring exclusive herms. Now excuse me I'm gonna go play the GOTY The Last Of Us which has a 95% on metacritic and received worldwide acclaim as well as over 50 perfect scores. You may have heard of it.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#37 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Unfortunately, the single-player campaign has some problems that can be a major buzz-kill. For starters, ROTT uses an unforgiving checkpoint save system. One particular sequence places you in a room dominated by a perpetually circling array of blade-covered blocks. Next is a room with a half-dozen rocket-launcher-toting goons, followed by a chamber with a bridge that rotates clockwise over an instant death pit. You must then make a harrowing leap across the pit while dodging a laser. One mistake sends you back to the blades and blocks room, screaming in impotent rage.

I mean, what the hell did the reviewer expect? Regenerating health? Cover system? Other casual crap? It's an old school title when FPS games were actually difficult to master and success gave a rewarding gaming experience. And he actually takes that as a CON?!

IgGy621985

That is a legitimate con. There is no excuse for a shitty checkpoint system.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Dosnt have a shitty checkpoint system, oh noes it dosn't save everytime I kill an enemy.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

No suprises there, titles like this aim for a specific audience, and simply don't sit well with some of the reviewers, it's a "love it or hate it" kind of thing.

That said, I'll check out the game eventually, hopefully those optimization issues will be fixed soon, don't want erratic frame rates in a fast-paced, old-school shooter, and I read the game can easily jump from 100+ FPS down to 40 FPS, which doesn't sound pretty.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Eh, if someone can't pass a level without checkpoints every 5 minutes they should stick with Call of Duty. 

I understand it frustrates the newer gamers and newer games should be design with lots of checkpoints to keep frustration to a minimum but ROTT is supposed to be a throwback to the older era, it shouldn't try to appeal to people used to easier games.

I would have been fine with no checkpoints to be honest. :P Games like DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D had no checkpoints but you could save whenever you wanted.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
It should also be noted that the studio that made this is a pretty small team, only two coders on board. And just like what other have said, its not for everyone.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

pc games don't wanna tout this? If it got a 9.0 or something we would be hearing about it for weeks

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

pc games don't wanna tout this? If it got a 9.0 or something we would be hearing about it for weeks

Chris_Williams

I don't see people making Dota 2 threads weeks after it got a 9.0 here yet every sony fanboy were in denial that the TLOU flop here

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

But but but PC as leading platform!!!!

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

TheFadeForever

I don't see people making Dota 2 threads weeks after it got a 9.0 here yet every sony fanboy were in denial that the TLOU flop here

what does sony and TLOU have to do with this thread?
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
[QUOTE="TheFadeForever"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Chris_Williams

what does sony and TLOU have to do with this thread?

Aside from that, he's right about Dota 2. :P PC gamers don't have to tout a game for weeks because we get too many games. Both low scoring and high scoring.
zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

ultimate-k

Lol, Casual and COD are the most tossed out words in the basement dweller community. 

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

Chris_Williams

Really I don't recall pc gamer make threads for weeks because a game got 9.0

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

CroidX

Especially considering that recently, in the space of one week the PC got a 9 and a 9.5,and yet you don´t see people talking about it all the time,unlike fanboys of other systems when that happens.
CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

[QUOTE="CroidX"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

MrYaotubo

Especially considering that recently, in the space of one week the PC got a 9 and a 9.5,and yet you don´t see people talking about it all the time,unlike fanboys of other systems when that happens.

Exactly we already have some high scoring games but we aren't talking about them a lot