hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

It simply doesn't get any worse in the AA and AAA industry. Their engine is an abomination. Everything is so insanely washed out, that it makes me believe that shadows is something they are yet to discover. Textures are straight up from late ps2 to early ps3 standards. And when there's something colorful in the environment, it pops up like a plastic toy because there's no shading or anything done to it.

If there's an Ugliest Game Of 2024 award, this wins it hands down. I am ashaed of this being an exclusive on my PS5.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6868 Posts

I'm excited for it but from a technical standpoint Team Ninja has imploded. These are the guys that use to make Ninja Gaiden and DOA.

If I was a boss at Playstation I'd buy Tecmo and teach them how to use the Decima engine and make them create a new Ninja Gaiden.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22685 Posts

If the gameplay is tight none of the visuals matter in the slightest. The end!

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

Wenzen's hyperbole is usually off the chain, but... I kinda have to agree here.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I think I heard part of the staff Sony cut had to do with floater teams that dealt with quality between their first party studios, helping them make their games better, but these teams also worked with third parties too. If true, some of these third party projects might be down major help they might have become accustomed to.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8222 Posts

Looks like Tenchu Z lol...

I liked tenchu z.. but still lolololol

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

Ah, the duality of a gamer.

Concerned at how gaming getting more unsustainable due to rising costs and long development time but then when devs actually tried to keep budget somewhat managable gets criticized for not spending more money on visuals, gameplay etc etc.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1239 Posts

Probably due in part to going open world...

Anyways if this flops .... I hope Team Ninja survives and that they come to their senses and make a new Ninja Gaiden.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

So I'll probably like it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69486 Posts

That exclusive next gen CGI like PS5 graphics.🤭

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6048 Posts

The OP can't talk about graphics when his favourite game is called Olden Ring due to its 360 like graphics.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9548 Posts

Meh... like I've said a million times, I play games for the gameplay not to just look at the graphics. If the gameplay is on point everything else seems better. However, if this game doesn't smash barriers in gameplay I can see reviewers giving it a hard time.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Meh. I enjoy pretty graphics as much as the next person but it’s certainly not the be all end all for me. I’m keeping my eye on this to see how it all turns out.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SargentD

@hardwenzen said:

It simply doesn't get any worse in the AA and AAA industry. Their engine is an abomination. Everything is so insanely washed out, that it makes me believe that shadows is something they are yet to discover. Textures are straight up from late ps2 to early ps3 standards. And when there's something colorful in the environment, it pops up like a plastic toy because there's no shading or anything done to it.

If there's an Ugliest Game Of 2024 award, this wins it hands down. I am ashaed of this being an exclusive on my PS5.

Loading Video...

Tenchu Z (2006)

These screenshots.. not that far off in regards to graphics.. and Tenchu Z was considered an ugly game in 2006.

I loved tenchu Z tho as a game, so who knows maybe it's fun

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen

@sargentd said:
@hardwenzen said:

Loading Video...

Tenchu Z (2006)

These screenshots.. not that far off in regards to graphics.. and Tenchu Z was considered an ugly game in 2006.

I loved tenchu Z tho as a game, so who knows maybe it's fun

Pretty close. Textures and lighting are straight up from that era.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts
@silentchief said:

I'm excited for it but from a technical standpoint Team Ninja has imploded. These are the guys that use to make Ninja Gaiden and DOA.

If I was a boss at Playstation I'd buy Tecmo and teach them how to use the Decima engine and make them create a new Ninja Gaiden.

How much of that original team is still there?

Team Ninja isn't worth it for Ninja Gaiden without Tomonobu Itagaki and his team.

The person under him didn't understand it and made the Sigma changes. Then he threw everything out and made NG3. And while he was making that, he was talking about DMC, like he was going to create some rivalry there.

It's not the name of the studio which matters, it's the people at the studio. Just like RARE. People blame MS for RARE, but the problem is most of the original talent left, and they started leaving before MS bought them such as those at Free Radical.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23916 Posts

Looks like an early Xbox 360 game. No matter, if the game is fun that is all that counts.

@sakaixx said:

Concerned at how gaming getting more unsustainable due to rising costs and long development time but then when devs actually tried to keep budget somewhat managable gets criticized for not spending more money on visuals, gameplay etc etc.

To be fair, I don't think Wenzen gives an Elden Ring about sustainability.

On the flip side, gamers such as myself couldnt care less about technical graphics. And would rather have more sustainable development.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11294 Posts

It looks quite mediocre, but who cares. I expect a decent combat experience. I've come to learn Ninja games have great combat, just not quite on the level of FromSoft, DMC or GoW.

Also, this sub has an extreme hard-on for original titles and brand new IPs and absolutely despises any kind of remaster, remake, reboot or sequel... Yet you are all begging for Team Ninja to make a Ninja Gaiden game? Nah piss off. No one cares about Ninja Gaiden. Keep making original games Team Ninja.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Shock. Horror. Yet another Sony game that Wenzen dislikes.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1250 Posts

I think this game will get lost in the dragon dogma 2 hype

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen

@sealionact said:

Shock. Horror. Yet another Sony game that Wenzen dislikes.

That's the difference between me and you, i call it as is, sony exclusive or not. Try it sometimes... meh nvm, if you were defending that shitty xbox headset, you're a lost cause.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11098 Posts

If it's not Tekken, FF or something on the RE engine, it's likely not going to be a super graphical knockout. Since Japanese studios are likely more frugal with their budgets and concentrate on gameplay, which is fine. Considering how the state of gaming is going, I can't whine too much. I just ask they don't ship a broken game

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#23  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17809 Posts

Not the best looking visuals, but the game itself looks good. Also, great music and audio presentation in general.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34614 Posts

Subpar graphics aside, I don't think the game is very interesting. Little bit Assassin's Creed, little bit Nioh. Meh.

I still want to play Nioh 2 and probably will sometime, but I have no interest in their last game Wo Long, or this.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

I don't really care much how a game looks, more interested in how it plays/is it fun

Unfortunately, Ronin didn't look fun either

Hopefully I'm wrong as I love those kinds of games.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sealionact

@hardwenzen: I said the headset was the best value for money available. You said buying a second hand set of stereo cans and a plug in standalone mic were.

Delusional.

tribesjah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tribesjah
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

Wow that looks bad, looks like a game from the X360/PS3 era, but running at a higher resolution than 720p (not much higher lol, guessing its like 900p upscaled with some temporal thing or FSR)

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

Nioh had outdated graphics, but the game was an absolute banger. This game looks like a PS4 game, but will play better than most games released today.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hardwenzen

@mazuiface said:

Nioh had outdated graphics, but the game was an absolute banger. This game looks like a PS4 game, but will play better than most games released today.

Nioh was also a game from 2017. We're seven god damn years later.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen
@sealionact said:

@hardwenzen: I said the headset was the best value for money available. You said buying a second hand set of stereo cans and a plug in standalone mic were.

Delusional.

Its only the best value headset when you're a clueless dudebro that doesn't know, nor understand anything audio related. And you defended that. How pathetic.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Silentchief
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@silentchief said:

Team Ninja isn't worth it for Ninja Gaiden without Tomonobu Itagaki and his team.

The person under him didn't understand it and made the Sigma changes. Then he threw everything out and made NG3. And while he was making that, he was talking about DMC, like he was going to create some rivalry there.

It's not the name of the studio which matters, it's the people at the studio. Just like RARE. People blame MS for RARE, but the problem is most of the original talent left, and they started leaving before MS bought them such as those at Free Radical.

I think his main apprentice basically runs Team Ninja does he not? Tomonobu Itagaki got hit with a bunch of sexual harassment accusations and was basically forced to go Indie.

I actually enjoyed Sigma but NG3 was a disaster. I think they have moved away from that style of gameplay though. I would have no issue with it being like DMC5 as I think the SE edition is arguably the best action game ever made. My issue isn't with their gameplay ( which is still solid) it's with how far they fell behind from a technology standpoint.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Silentchief
@mazuiface said:

Well Nioh looked like a PS3 game so this is a step up I guess.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SargentD

@silentchief said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@silentchief said:

I think his main apprentice basically runs Team Ninja does he not? Tomonobu Itagaki got hit with a bunch of sexual harassment accusations and was basically forced to go Indie.

I actually enjoyed Sigma but NG3 was a disaster. I think they have moved away from that style of gameplay though. I would have no issue with it being like DMC5 as I think the SE edition is arguably the best action game ever made. My issue isn't with their gameplay ( which is still solid) it's with how far they fell behind from a technology standpoint.

I'd take a proper sequel to NG1 and NG2.

Would love to see it.. as long as it isn't like 3

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@silentchief said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@silentchief said:

I actually enjoyed Sigma but NG3 was a disaster. I think they have moved away from that style of gameplay though. I would have no issue with it being like DMC5 as I think the SE edition us arguably the best action game ever made. My issue isn't with their gameplay ( which is still solid) it's with how far they fell behind from a technology standpoint.

Actually play both the originals and Sigma quite frequently. It's not that Sigma is bad, it's more that the changes weren't always better or even finished.

Like, when you play as Rachel, her movement is strange and wooden looking when she's running, like they just changed the skin from a make to a female. Like the hip rotation doesn't look right. BUT, her war hammer fighting style is actually fun, better than Ryu's which is just his standard heavy weapon style with less moves.

Rachels levels are also a bit half baked, and her boss, the guy with the guns, is just annoying.

The core gameplay is still really good.

I haven't playeed DMC 5 or DMC remake yet, I have them all, I just haven't got there. I just finished DMC 1-4. Overall DMC 3 is the peak, DMC 4 is good, DMC 1 gets special mentions, there's just something really good about it, like the atmosphere, there's a lot of that Resident Evil vibe in the first one, because that's what it was meant to be. DMC 2... I'm just glad it was short. The core wasn't bad but by the time you're two thirds in, you kind of want it to end. I don't think I went through it again with the other character.

If by technical you mean graphics, I'm a retro gamer, I don't care that much. I still enjoy the graphics of the original Ninja Gaiden Black. Upscaled on newer Xbox consoles, it still stands up for me.

While I like DMC games, for me, Ninja Gaiden is still best. I play through it A LOT, still trying to learn new things.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2464 Posts
@sakaixx said:

This 100%

Folks have been critical of the graphics and production value of the showcases so far this year. Game budgets are being slashed like crazy these days. And 3rd parties are signing these bad subscription service deals because it's better than not launching a game at all and cutting their losses. The industry is in a bad spot and it's only gonna get worse. Just look at the music and movie industries if you want to see where this is all going.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2929 Posts

Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 looks way better than this game. And while graphics aren't everything, the gameplay looks boring and dull as well. It would be wiser to replay Ninja Gaiden.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Silentchief

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@silentchief said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@silentchief said:

I actually enjoyed Sigma but NG3 was a disaster. I think they have moved away from that style of gameplay though. I would have no issue with it being like DMC5 as I think the SE edition us arguably the best action game ever made. My issue isn't with their gameplay ( which is still solid) it's with how far they fell behind from a technology standpoint.

Actually play both the originals and Sigma quite frequently. It's not that Sigma is bad, it's more that the changes weren't always better or even finished.

Like, when you play as Rachel, her movement is strange and wooden looking when she's running, like they just changed the skin from a make to a female. Like the hip rotation doesn't look right. BUT, her war hammer fighting style is actually fun, better than Ryu's which is just his standard heavy weapon style with less moves.

Rachels levels are also a bit half baked, and her boss, the guy with the guns, is just annoying.

The core gameplay is still really good.

I haven't playeed DMC 5 or DMC remake yet, I have them all, I just haven't got there. I just finished DMC 1-4. Overall DMC 3 is the peak, DMC 4 is good, DMC 1 gets special mentions, there's just something really good about it, like the atmosphere, there's a lot of that Resident Evil vibe in the first one, because that's what it was meant to be. DMC 2... I'm just glad it was short. The core wasn't bad but by the time you're two thirds in, you kind of want it to end. I don't think I went through it again with the other character.

If by technical you mean graphics, I'm a retro gamer, I don't care that much. I still enjoy the graphics of the original Ninja Gaiden Black. Upscaled on newer Xbox consoles, it still stands up for me.

While I like DMC games, for me, Ninja Gaiden is still best. I play through it A LOT, still trying to learn new things.

Yea the added characters are a bit half baked but I played as Ryu most the time because he just felt the best to me and I always loved the character.

I really recommend you get DMC5 SE. It adds Vergil as a playable character and he is alot of fun. All four characters feel distinct and are amazing in their own way. I really think it's my favorite action game of all time and I'd say it's easily the best DMC although I would rank them from best to worst as 5, 4, 3, 1, 2.

Yea graphics aren't everything but I think they can make a great game even better. When the original NG for Xbox came out, not only was it an amazing game it was one of the best looking games available. I've always been a sucker for great visuals and beautiful animations in a game though.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Would absolutely love for them to make another Ninja Gaiden game instead but Itagaki needs to be onboard.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

It could look like a PS1 game as long as the gameplay is good.

Insane graphics are not sustainable and is creating budgets in games that don't return the profit required to allow developers to produce new ip's. This is why we are seeing so many remasters, remakes, and sequels, but few new ip's.

I tend to like Team Ninja games, so I will be checking this out when I get finished a few other games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@iambatman7986 said:

It could look like a PS1 game as long as the gameplay is good.

Insane graphics are not sustainable and is creating budgets in games that don't return the profit required to allow developers to produce new ip's. This is why we are seeing so many remasters, remakes, and sequels, but few new ip's.

I tend to like Team Ninja games, so I will be checking this out when I get finished a few other games.

You have indie developers that release video games on a $5 budget that look generations ahead of what's used here.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

I don't over emphasize the importance of graphics, but that is terrible.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

It has like a weird upscaling going on like FSR 1 but something much worse.

Also another thing I noticed is chromatic aberration.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7704 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Nioh had terrible AA solution, then PC version got dlss and it looked way better than native at 4k

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

@howmakewood said:

@R4gn4r0k: Nioh had terrible AA solution, then PC version got dlss and it looked way better than native at 4k

DLSS is just that good. Wish they could've backported both DLSS and HDR to Nioh 1, same engine afterall.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SargentD

@R4gn4r0k said:
@howmakewood said:

DLSS is just that good. Wish they could've backported both DLSS and HDR to Nioh 1, same engine afterall.

Nioh looked alot better, *not that graphics matter*

But nioh looked much better

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sealionact

@hardwenzen: Absolutely, and the critics agreed with me bud. But it was an entertaining thread….”buy second hand”😂😂😂

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hardwenzen
@sealionact said:

@hardwenzen: Absolutely, and the critics agreed with me bud. But it was an entertaining thread….”buy second hand”😂😂😂

The critics are people like you, know absolutely nothing. No sane person has ever suggested that trash to any serious gamer. Imagine buying a headset over a prair over headphones, and then, as if this wasn't enough, you're buying a noname pair of cans over a quality brand like Sennheiser🤡What a clown.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sealionact

@hardwenzen: Eh, if sennheiser made a wireless set that had the same features and sound as the Xbox set, you’d be purring at so much on offer for 100 bucks.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen

@sealionact said:

@hardwenzen: Eh, if sennheiser made a wireless set that had the same features and sound as the Xbox set, you’d be purring at so much on offer for 100 bucks.

First of all, are you a teenager with $100 in your pockets that you got for your bday? Secondly, the only "feature" you need is soundstage and clean directional sound, something you will never have on some shitty headset made by a no name company. And here you are, talking about wireless and being able to lower the volume on the headset itself lmao. As i knew it before, you have no idea what's even needed for a proper pair of cans lol.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sealionact

@hardwenzen: Lol, is the guy recommending 2nd hand headphones and went ages without playing PC because he didn’t have the money for a new GPU actually mocking me for only spending 100 bucks on a headset?

If I want great soundstage, I’ll use my Atmos setup. If I’m chilling doing a co-op or MP game, I want a headset with an actual microphone….not some used wired headphones that have other people’s earwax and sweat.

Ugh. How could you Wenzen?