RFOM Is Very Impressive For A Next Gen Game.....................................

This topic is locked from further discussion.

squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 squallff8_fan
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18112&type=mov&pl=game

In this interview, they talk to one of insomniac devs and he tells them that RFOM was the first project they ever made for the ps3 that uses shaders and stuff like a pc and xbox 360 does, and for a team that has never worked on a pc game or xbox 360 related to pc developing, for a small team like insomniac to make a great game like they have with RFOM, and rush it a little just to make the launch, u have to be impressed.

Example to John Carmack and a few other devs saying it is too hard to dev ps3 games, is no excuse, because if this small company can do it with there first time ever working with this type of hardware, where as most of the devs already have expirience with this type of hardware, and still complain, shows me that alot of them must do half ass work and is why alot of there games are not hits like games coming out of insomniac which is not even a big company at all, but very hard working and no half ass work coming from this team. Look for the next RFOM to be a big hit, and I already know Ratchet and Clank is gonna be a smash hit for the PS3. Till den enjoy and game on and tell me what your thoughts on this interview is. :)

Huxley_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Huxley_00
Member since 2006 • 1309 Posts
not really.. didn't even look as good as CoD2
Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts

Gears of War is the first time Epic has worked on the 360 :|

CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts
"and rush it a little just to make the launch". Sorry but ps3 was delayed many many months, no game slated for launch had to rush anything.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
If their work is so half-assed, why dont you show them how to do it? Do you know what it takes to make a game engine? Do you even know how to read a single line of code?
palaric8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 palaric8
Member since 2006 • 2246 Posts
RFOM is a great game though Gears of wars is better, can't wait for resistance 2 :rise of man
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

I felt RFOM is still a graphically inferior game to the other blockbuster next-gen heavyweights like Gears of War and the likes of GRAW, but the sheer inventiveness of Resistance (which is unusual, seeing as its content just slams sci-fi and WW2 shooters into one) is what sets it apart.  It's not that Insomniac works harder than other developers, but they managed to find the right blend of ideas and the right mix of gameplay elements to make the game a first-rate FPS.

squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 squallff8_fan

If their work is so half-assed, why dont you show them how to do it? Do you know what it takes to make a game engine? Do you even know how to read a single line of code?XaosII

No I dont but if devs are gonna sit there and argue how hard it is that are suppose to be pro's in this field, and see noobs like insomniac come with a hit like RFOM, it has to just make u feel like wow, I am a known dev, and I am here arguing how hard it is to make a game for the ps3 and here comes some devs who never ever worked on a pc before or xbox 360 which is supposingly easyer to dev for, and make a stellar game on a hardware that is suppose to be hard to make games, just shows how lack these third party devs are.

jeffmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jeffmonster
Member since 2003 • 511 Posts
I checked it out on my buddy's PS3 and thought it looked pretty average, not as good as my COD2 on 360. He could probably do a better job of calibrating his TV though. That might help it out a little but still, I wouldn't say it's really next gen looking. Hopefully for PS3 owners the next round of games will put RFOM to shame.
Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Timesplitter14
Member since 2006 • 5934 Posts

"and rush it a little just to make the launch". Sorry but ps3 was delayed many many months, no game slated for launch had to rush anything.CPM_basic

Oh so you think RFoM was ready for march 2006? Well no. They finished the game not too long before launch.

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

i think what most people don't understand (for those who haven't played it) is that RFOM is just as good if not better then the Halo series. It was scored lower because Halo came first. For a next-gen game, it is nothing new, but if this came out last year on ps2, it would have killed.

on and please, COD2 is the new medal of honor for 10 year olds. That series is done (good on PC tho) 

squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 squallff8_fan

thirstychainsaw

Yeah but the xbox 360 is said to be a mirror of a pc, and unreal has made games for pc's for how long, and is easy to make games for the xbox 360 since its hardware is made like a pc, so it is just like making a pc game for them, only thing is the xbox 360 is limited to things the pc can be enhanced.

cabjnico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cabjnico
Member since 2003 • 748 Posts
rfom was meh... i didn't have a great time playing it at my friend's... there's nothing unique to it
pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pins_basic
Member since 2003 • 11521 Posts
Impressive for a Next-Gen game:? Would it not have been impresive if it was made last gen or something?
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts
Insomniac is no means noobs in the field of programming for the playstation consoles, they done it ever since the psone. As for saying that it uses alot of techniques attached to making pc games, we'll most fps do because if they flop on the console the developers have less time porting it to pc to make up for revenue loss. The engine is impressive but its still something they can improve upon, coding and engine builds only get better with time.
cheezisgoooood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#16 cheezisgoooood
Member since 2004 • 6130 Posts

Well I can believe it, Resistance wasn't very impressive graphically.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]If their work is so half-assed, why dont you show them how to do it? Do you know what it takes to make a game engine? Do you even know how to read a single line of code?squallff8_fan

No I dont but if devs are gonna sit there and argue how hard it is that are suppose to be pro's in this field, and see noobs like insomniac come with a hit like RFOM, it has to just make u feel like wow, I am a known dev, and I am here arguing how hard it is to make a game for the ps3 and here comes some devs who never ever worked on a pc before or xbox 360 which is supposingly easyer to dev for, and make a stellar game on a hardware that is suppose to be hard to make games, just shows how lack these third party devs are.

And the devs that have argued about it, including John Carmack, are all developing games for the PS3. Its not a crime for a developer to give his honest opinion about the system hes developing - especially if they have the devkits for the system in question.

If you really want to shut me up, i'd love to see a quote from a game programmer that is happy about the PS3. 

cabrix1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cabrix1
Member since 2006 • 198 Posts
Couldnt really stand it. Very generic shooter. Weapons left something to be desired, and the Chimera were a bland enemy. Multiplayer is the redeming part of the game.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
it's a good game, but not great in the graphics departement
Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts
Only problem is...According to Sony PS3 is a Gen ahead:oops:
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

Poor little Insomniac, the little engine that could...:?

squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 squallff8_fan
[QUOTE="squallff8_fan"]

[QUOTE="XaosII"]If their work is so half-assed, why dont you show them how to do it? Do you know what it takes to make a game engine? Do you even know how to read a single line of code?XaosII

And the devs that have argued about it, including John Carmack, are all developing games for the PS3. Its not a crime for a developer to give his honest opinion about the system hes developing - especially if they have the devkits for the system in question.

If you really want to shut me up, i'd love to see a quote from a game programmer that is happy about the PS3. 

Insomniac and Team Ninja and Ninja Theory, are a few that think its an amazing hardware, and warhawk creator. :)

dimar19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dimar19
Member since 2006 • 4608 Posts
Black is much more impressive.
squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 squallff8_fan

it's a good game, but not great in the graphics departementdanneswegman

Im not talking just about the graphics, im talking about the all around game and fun replay, which is a blast online if u own the game, u will see soo many people online playing this game.

squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 squallff8_fan
Man only fanboys will say this game is not good, but anyone who actually owns a ps3 and RFOM will tell u, that this game is one hell of a game, and coming from Insomniac that are not known for games like this, is very impressive.
dimar19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dimar19
Member since 2006 • 4608 Posts

which is a blast online if u own the game, u will see soo many people online playing this game.squallff8_fan

Looks like it's the first online game for cows

Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts

Man only fanboys will say this game is not good, but anyone who actually owns a ps3 and RFOM will tell u, that this game is one hell of a game, and coming from Insomniac that are not known for games like this, is very impressive. squallff8_fan

exactly. 

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts

thirstychainsaw

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18112&type=mov&pl=game

In this interview, they talk to one of insomniac devs and he tells them that RFOM was the first project they ever made for the ps3 that uses shaders and stuff like a pc and xbox 360 does, and for a team that has never worked on a pc game or xbox 360 related to pc developing, for a small team like insomniac to make a great game like they have with RFOM, and rush it a little just to make the launch, u have to be impressed.

Example to John Carmack and a few other devs saying it is too hard to dev ps3 games, is no excuse, because if this small company can do it with there first time ever working with this type of hardware, where as most of the devs already have expirience with this type of hardware, and still complain, shows me that alot of them must do half ass work and is why alot of there games are not hits like games coming out of insomniac which is not even a big company at all, but very hard working and no half ass work coming from this team. Look for the next RFOM to be a big hit, and I already know Ratchet and Clank is gonna be a smash hit for the PS3. Till den enjoy and game on and tell me what your thoughts on this interview is. :)

squallff8_fan
RFOM, as far as I'm concerned, is the only real next gen shooter out right now.
Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mudig
Member since 2007 • 1567 Posts
I'm gonna kill you if it's in hd.
-uHuRu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -uHuRu
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts

These are impressive, in my opinion, not Gears but impressive nonetheless

danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts

[QUOTE="danneswegman"]it's a good game, but not great in the graphics departementsquallff8_fan

Im not talking just about the graphics, im talking about the all around game and fun replay, which is a blast online if u own the game, u will see soo many people online playing this game.

i agree that it's a really fun game. i even like the graphics, they just aren't that next gen in terms of textures and polygons. but it looks good enough.
-Antisocial-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -Antisocial-
Member since 2003 • 372 Posts
If anything, RFOM should have stuck to the Unreal engine.
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
It is very impressive. Inventive weapons and a very good single and multiplayer. The only reason people think it looks bad is because the graphics vary greatly. At times it looks like crap (screens people post on SW and what lemmings base opinions off of) and other times you're in a very detailed beautiful area with 50 enemies on screen and explosions and crap happening everywhere and it is more impressive than Geow at any single moment.
fierro316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 fierro316
Member since 2003 • 1727 Posts
It's incredible considering is a first gen game.
Paktahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Paktahn
Member since 2002 • 2093 Posts
I wasn't very impressed by the game but I have played so many shooters and it's hard to impress me. Except for anything really exceptional I can't stand the genre anymore.
Paktahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Paktahn
Member since 2002 • 2093 Posts
not really.. didn't even look as good as CoD2Huxley_00
It looks about as good but the thread creator was bashing Carmack and COD 2 uses a modifided engine he created in 1999 :|
conceru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 conceru3
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts

thirstychainsaw

Indeed !!!

Illumination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Illumination
Member since 2005 • 2109 Posts

i think what most people don't understand (for those who haven't played it) is that RFOM is just as good if not better then the Halo series. It was scored lower because Halo came first. For a next-gen game, it is nothing new, but if this came out last year on ps2, it would have killed.

on and please, COD2 is the new medal of honor for 10 year olds. That series is done (good on PC tho)

Koalakommander

Umm...no. Just no. Halo is one of the best games eer made and RFOM is one of the worst shotoers ever made. The only reason is scored as hig has it did is cause its sony first oparty. The same game on xbox woulda gotten 6.5 or lower.  

coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 coreygames
Member since 2005 • 5027 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]If their work is so half-assed, why dont you show them how to do it? Do you know what it takes to make a game engine? Do you even know how to read a single line of code?squallff8_fan

Hey hold on just one flipping second here. I don't get mad often, but you are really pushing it. Like the other poster, do you know how hard it is to make a game. Do you know that almost no two games you work on in your life, if you ever do, will run off the same engine, unless it is a sequel? So imagine what it must be like to have to learn something new EVERYTIME you have to make a game. And Insomniac is no N00b. Have you ever played Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, or Jack and Dexter? These games are classics and you are calling Insomniac n00bs? I think you should quit your *****ing and just face that whatever your point is couldn't be more incorrect.
coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 coreygames
Member since 2005 • 5027 Posts
If anything, RFOM should have stuck to the Unreal engine.-Antisocial-
Maybe they didn't have the money for it? Or there were things in the game that wouldn't go with it well.
mightyboosh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mightyboosh13
Member since 2006 • 705 Posts
[QUOTE="palaric8"]RFOM is a great game though Gears of wars is better, can't wait for resistance 2 :rise of man

Pretty much agreed upon. I liked Gears. wasnt the greatest game ever but it was a blue-print for future 3rd person action games. Resistence was pretty good. I've completed it at last, though I rushed it a little due to it being my bro's game. Good but not great the online is the best I've played on PSN. Better than Socom in my eyes. But dont flame me please (I still have a soft spot for PDZ. Its hated by sooo many X360/PC/PS fans) I much prefered this game on release to Resistance. The CO-OP in PDZ is just soooo much fun. Solo not so great but I loved the co-op level on top of the sky-scrapers sniping while your mate runs through the streets at the bottom...Very cool. Take Co-op out of PDZ and it seems a bit stale.
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts
[QUOTE="XaosII"][QUOTE="squallff8_fan"]

Insomniac and Team Ninja and Ninja Theory, are a few that think its an amazing hardware, and warhawk creator. :)

oh yes, Ask the Warhawk creators have good it is. I wonder what made them run into so much trouble that the game is released on PSN and don't even look close to the pics they showed in the past.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
I love R:FOM. Actually I just got done playing it about 20 minutes ago :D. The single player is ridiculously fun and challenging. The weapons and enemies are very creative too. The only reason I play Gear online more is because I don't have a mic for my PS3 yet :(.
readingfc_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 readingfc_1
Member since 2004 • 2548 Posts
[QUOTE="squallff8_fan"]

[QUOTE="XaosII"]If their work is so half-assed, why dont you show them how to do it? Do you know what it takes to make a game engine? Do you even know how to read a single line of code?coreygames

Hey hold on just one flipping second here. I don't get mad often, but you are really pushing it. Like the other poster, do you know how hard it is to make a game. Do you know that almost no two games you work on in your life, if you ever do, will run off the same engine, unless it is a sequel? So imagine what it must be like to have to learn something new EVERYTIME you have to make a game. And Insomniac is no N00b. Have you ever played Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, or Jack and Dexter? These games are classics and you are calling Insomniac n00bs? I think you should quit your *****ing and just face that whatever your point is couldn't be more incorrect.

One point you seem to be missing is that it's their job. Whether its hard or not it's their job to make a game and not release it untill its ready to compete with other titles.
FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts

"and rush it a little just to make the launch". Sorry but ps3 was delayed many many months, no game slated for launch had to rush anything.CPM_basic

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you once again....! Finally someone with common sense without Sony fanboy goggles touches on the subject Ive been saying to cows since the PS3 launch. There is no excuse for the PS3 to have a lackluster lineup because the system was due to launch Spring 06, not Nov 06. Sony along with all third party devs should have had a stellar lineup ready for  the PS3 launch because they had plenty of time to work out the bugs and even add a lil polish to their games.....but of course we all know that didnt happen!

Game On... 

ChopperDave1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ChopperDave1
Member since 2006 • 377 Posts

[QUOTE="CPM_basic"]"and rush it a little just to make the launch". Sorry but ps3 was delayed many many months, no game slated for launch had to rush anything.FatalDomain

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you once again....! Finally someone with common sense without Sony fanboy goggles touches on the subject Ive been saying to cows since the PS3 launch. There is no excuse for the PS3 to have a lackluster lineup because the system was due to launch Spring 06, not Nov 06. Sony along with all third party devs should have had a stellar lineup ready for the PS3 launch because they had plenty of time to work out the bugs and even add a lil polish to their games.....but of course we all know that didnt happen!

Game On...

many developers didn't their dev kits until after the spring launch, few, if any had them before spring "06. They did not have a lot of time
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
[QUOTE="ChopperDave1"] many developers didn't their dev kits until after the spring launch, few, if any had them before spring "06. They did not have a lot of time

Insomniac was not one of those developers, being in-house they probably got dev kits WAY in advance.
FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts
[QUOTE="FatalDomain"]

[QUOTE="CPM_basic"]"and rush it a little just to make the launch". Sorry but ps3 was delayed many many months, no game slated for launch had to rush anything.ChopperDave1

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you once again....! Finally someone with common sense without Sony fanboy goggles touches on the subject Ive been saying to cows since the PS3 launch. There is no excuse for the PS3 to have a lackluster lineup because the system was due to launch Spring 06, not Nov 06. Sony along with all third party devs should have had a stellar lineup ready for the PS3 launch because they had plenty of time to work out the bugs and even add a lil polish to their games.....but of course we all know that didnt happen!

Game On...

many developers didn't their dev kits until after the spring launch, few, if any had them before spring "06. They did not have a lot of time

Well that was 100% Sony's fault for not getting dev kits out in a timely manner. But for those devs who did receive their kits and producted a launch title, the games available were complete garbage....aside from Resistance which was good but not a system seller...

Game On....Â