Red Dead Redemption 2 Achieves Entertainment’s Biggest Opening Weekend of All Time (Rockstar does it again)

• 80 results
OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts

Rockstar Games is proud to announce that the critically acclaimed Red Dead Redemption 2 has achieved the single-biggest opening weekend in the history of entertainment*. With over $725 million in worldwide retail sell-through during its first three days,Red Dead Redemption 2 is the second-highest grossing entertainment launch of all time next to Rockstar Games' previously released title, Grand Theft Auto V, which achieved over $1 billion in retail sell-through in three days.*

Red Dead Redemption 2's list of initial benchmarks include:

• Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
  • Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
  • Biggest entertainment launch of 2018;
  • Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network;
  • Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network;
  • Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181030005459/en/

*Red Dead Redemption 2 launched on a Friday so that its ‘opening weekend’ (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) is the same as its first three days, while Grand Theft Auto V launched on a Tuesday.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44320 Posts

Kudos to Rockstar for delivering another fantastic game, it truly looks and sounds amazing.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

But...but....some hermits said it wouldn't be as big or do as well as GTA5.......Hahahahaha

2nd highest of all time..... God damn!!

Sucks to be a Hermit right now.... all they can do it watch it being played on youtube....lmao.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

Really enjoying this one so far. Really don't think I'll be buying any more games until January 29th tbh

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

Dude was just going to post this, lol!

So as I said before, this is a slap to the internet haters that like to hate on everything that is cool. Critics 97%, now second biggest opening ever. The gods of Rockstar.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Meanwhile hermits enjoy this game at a wonderful 0 fps at 0K resolution.

And let's not forget our sheep friends, they will soon be able to play pokemon go pikachu and go eevee, REJOICE!

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlackBalls

@scatteh316 said:

But...but....some hermits said it wouldn't be as big or do as well as GTA5.......Hahahahaha

Sucks to be a Hermit right now.... all they can do it watch it being played on youtube....lmao.

Lol poor hermits. While console gamers have AAAAE masterpieces like Uncharted 4, Red Dead 2, Marrio Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, they have...

Some 3 hour indie game nobody cares about, lol.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11162 Posts

Damn, the US numbers are probably nuts. The NPD's are going to be interesting for sure.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

I was going to sell it but then I thought about it and figured I'll press on. I'm early in the game and only as far as Valentine and I've done a few things but it seems to be picking up.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

Lol poor hermits. While console gamers have AAAAE masterpieces like Uncharted 4, Red Dead 2, Marrio Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, they have...

or, like reasonable people, we buy consoles in addition to our awesome PCs and play those games as well.

then we go back to playing games in the best way possible once we finish with them.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BlackBalls

@with_teeth26 said:
@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

or, like reasonable people, we buy consoles in addition to our awesome PCs and play those games as well.

then we go back to playing games in the best way possible once we finish with them.

I play both consoles and PC, but it's sad for actual hermits that have no consoles.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

I love how everyone you talk to in RDR2 seems to respond in context and not with some random phrase that may or may not make sense based on what is happening.

Such attention to detail is what I'd like to see more of in gaming and I can't think of another game that does it as well as RDR2.

Just watch Mr Pearson play his concertina by the fire if you need any convincing that this game has an insane attention to detail. No wonder it took so long to make.

Although I kind of wish there were an option to make the movement less clunky. Also the motion blur sucks and I wish I could turn it off.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

Figures.

I'm enjoying it though. It's the only game that does draw distance right.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

@blackballs: So is a hermit only a hermit if he/she has a strict PC-only policy?

Which begs the question: How many people on this forum really qualify?

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

PSN, Nintendo eCrap, XBox Live are filled with indie games.

Console games will always copy PC gaming trends!

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Woah.

I wonder what the budget for the game was?

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@scatteh316 said:

Hold on there.... short term does not mean long term.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BlackBalls

@pyro1245 said:

@blackballs: So is a hermit only a hermit if he/she has a strict PC-only policy?

Which begs the question: How many people on this forum really qualify?

So then a hermit is that person that owns a pc and console, but is a PC fanboy?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Remember that survey polling 5000 people that said Black Ops 4 was more anticipated? LMAO

I said RDR2 would be the best selling game this year and these are the sales without the online mode even being available yet.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

so, not as good as GTAV?

and will have poor legs as well. mark my words. this shit will be dead a couple months after christmas. i dont think the online will save it.

too many people calling it overrrated and felt burned by rockstar.

better luck next time rockstar. its downhill from here.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Well Rockstar said themselves they don't expect this to sell as well as GTA:V and I would agree with them, GTA has a wider audience. Still impressive they were able to outdo their previous record for the first few days of sale though. $725 Million more than covers the development cost.

Meanwhile games like Tomb Raider are selling so badly they are losing money, just shows you not treating your customers like shit pays off. Just hope the PC release isn't too far off, I guess Rockstar will be watching sales numbers closely to figure out the best time to release it to cash in on all the double dippers.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BlackBalls

@ten_pints said:

Well Rockstar said themselves they don't expect this to sell as well as GTA:V and I would agree with them, GTA has a wider audience. Still impressive they were able to outdo their previous record for the first few days of sale though. $725 Million more than covers the development cost.

Meanwhile games like Tomb Raider are selling so badly they are losing money, just shows you not treating your customers like shit pays off. Just hope the PC release isn't too far off, I guess Rockstar will be watching sales numbers closely to figure out the best time to release it to cash in on all the double dippers.

It's impossible for RD2 to sell more than GTA5, I mean seriously did anyone actually expect this to happen? GTA5 is closing on 100 million units, about to be the best selling game of all time, come on. Now, the original red dead sold 13 million units across all platforms. The fact that its sequel outsold it in just 3 days is simply put unbelievable.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Salud Hollywood, better luck next time

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

As much as we all bicker, someone really needs to make a gif or meme of a lem and cow laughing at a deranged hermit.

For times just like this.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

@knight-k said:

And let's not forget our sheep friends, they will soon be able to play pokemon go pikachu and go eevee, REJOICE!

@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

Why do you get enjoyment out of the fact that others don't get to play the game? It's really weird.

Anyway, congrats to R*. It's a great game.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

so, not as good as GTAV?

and will have poor legs as well. mark my words. this shit will be dead a couple months after christmas. i dont think the online will save it.

too many people calling it overrrated and felt burned by rockstar.

better luck next time rockstar. its downhill from here.

Hahaha! Dat damage control.

Have with pokemon go eevee though, LMFAO!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

Hurra, let's gauge the prices and add more business models!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24979 Posts

@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

none of these are masterpiece. Red dead 2 will hit on PC next year. Mario and zelda are kiddy games. uncharted 4 is movie game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

none of these are masterpiece. Red dead 2 will hit on PC next year. Mario and zelda are kiddy games. uncharted 4 is movie game.

Can a kids game not be a masterpiece then? Is that honour reserved for manly hardcore FPS games?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghosts4ever

@boycie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

Can a kids game not be a masterpiece then? Is that honour reserved for manly hardcore FPS games?

for kids they can be. but for us. they are not.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 babyjoker1221

@ghosts4ever said:
@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

Idk, many people consider them masterpieces. What pc games would you consider masterpieces?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghosts4ever

@babyjoker1221 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

Idk, many people consider them masterpieces. What pc games would you consider masterpieces?

Deus Ex, Half life, STALKER.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Bu bu but "Black Ops 4 will outsell Red Dead Redemption 2 four to one".

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 babyjoker1221

@ghosts4ever said:
@babyjoker1221 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

Ehhhh I don't know about all that. I can see HL. Stalker has merit. Deus Ex? Not so much.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BlackBalls

@babyjoker1221 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@babyjoker1221 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@blackballs said:

Ehhhh I don't know about all that. I can see HL. Stalker has merit. Deus Ex? Not so much.

So basically two pc games released over 15 years ago and a game only hermits care about because it didn't even sell or score well... okay. Notice how you can't even mention a pc game in the past 3 years. Lol. Hermits are like old people, thinking about the good ol' times.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever

@blackballs said:
@babyjoker1221 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@babyjoker1221 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

So basically two pc games released over 15 years ago and a game only hermits care about because it didn't even sell or score well... okay. Notice how you can't even mention a pc game in the past 3 years. Lol. Hermits are like old people, thinking about the good ol' times.

Doom. another masterpiece.

Metro Exodus and Doom eternal a future masterpiece.

next?

and when is squadron 42 will release on console?

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

And 90% of the gamers now wish they had not bought RDR2 at full price...

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@henrythefifth said:

Is there a discount already?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

ROCKSTAR RULES! ROCKSTAR ROCKS!

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

meanwhile hermits still waiting lol

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By MirkoS77  Online
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

Well deserved, the game is absolutely phenomenal in every respect and I believe RDR 2 will go down in history as a significant step in the evolution of open world design. I can completely understand how it's not to everyone's taste, however. But this is a game that is making my eyes bleed as when I play I'm putting in 5-8 hours at a time. It's endlessly addictive with a "just one more thing" lure.

Damn, R*.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Hardly a surprise, Rockstar's big titles rack in big sales ;).

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Gavinnnnn! Where arrrree yoooooouuuuuu?

Seriously, this is great. I just keep discovering things. I love the quests, and everything feels like it's of importance. Hunting, for food. Quickly scrambling around to pilfer from a dead man, before someone comes along to investigate and ruin your fun. It's just great.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Probably would have hit #1 if they had done a PC release as well. Fallout 4 did 750M in its first 24 hours.

RDR2 is going to get another sales influx once the holidays start.

@drummerdave9099 said:

Woah.

I wonder what the budget for the game was?

I've seen some speculation have at $300 million or higher.

The marketing must've been more than the same sum.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts
@blackballs said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

I play both consoles and PC, but it's sad for actual hermits that have no consoles.

PC gamers with 1080ti here. Also have PS4 Pro for exclusives (17 games currently). PS4 Pro has some nice games but the low frame rate and resolution is very noticeable.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@knight-k said:

Pokemon lets go pikachu is going to be awesome. Don't hate.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@shellcase86 said:
@henrythefifth said:

Is there a discount already?

It's almost black friday, you know there will be. Spiderman already has some deals out there.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BlackBalls

@RyviusARC said:
@blackballs said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@blackballs said:
@scatteh316 said:

PC gamers with 1080ti here. Also have PS4 Pro for exclusives (17 games currently). PS4 Pro has some nice games but the low frame rate and resolution is very noticeable.

Okay no one in the real world cares if PC games have a bit better resolution. They are too busy playing the game that just broke first week sales records.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@blackballs: Yes I am also playing Red Dead 2 but I still thought the blurry visuals and the drop in fps noticeable on the PS4 Pro. Still a nice looking game don't get me wrong.