"Games for Windows" just a short term Vista-push program?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

So, I was thinking about it these days and by the current state of "Games for Windows" program, I really must agree with Lombardi, GfW really could be just a short-term marketing crap in order to push Vista sales.

Why? Well, just because of the lack of any aggressive "Games for Windows" marketing program. Microsoft doesn't seem eager enough to construct Games for Windows shape like it does with the Xbox brand. Since Microsoft has spread itself longer than the sheet is, they obviously can not give GfW a priority ahead of their glorious Xbox brand, right?

But on the other hand, obvious mistakes are shaping up pretty well.

Halo 2 had marketing attention like all other "GfW" games alltogether. But why in the world would PC gamers want Halo 2, a two years old Xbox port in the first place? Where's the logic? Beacause of multiplayer? Why would a PC gamer wanna play a two years old console game multiplayer?

Maybe because of Games for Windows Live? Sure, it seems kinda interesting, but you'll have to pay for it. Why the hell would I wanna pay to play multiplayer on a PC platform?

What do you thing about the current state of Games for Windows program?

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

It's Microsoft's feeble attempt to assert control over a decentralised market it's supposed to control. From what I've heard, it actually creates benefits for developers who adhere to it, contrasted with say, the 360, where developers have guidelines imposed by MS.

In the end, the state of PC gaming software doesn't stand to need much changed IMO. It's competitive, innovative and has functioned perfectly well in the past without this sort of interference. I suppose an argument could be made if games were increasingly diversifying in terms of hardware requirements, but they really aren't. In fact, software incompatibility is something which has improven a great deal recently in my opinion.  

lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts

yes it is but its a good business plan.i mean isnt the ps3 a blue ray push?and that move turned out pretty good.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#4 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, Halo 2 is not the MAIN game behind the GFW propgram. It is Crysis, with MS going so far as to say that Crysis will be Vista's Halo.
JoeWii60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JoeWii60
Member since 2006 • 2456 Posts

Games for windows is a gimmick like Blu-ray or the Wiimote.

Mass_Effect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mass_Effect
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

It is Crysis, with MS going so far as to say that Crysis will be Vista's Halo.dgsag

Um... isn't Halo 2 Vista's Halo?

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, Halo 2 is not the MAIN game behind the GFW propgram. It is Crysis, with MS going so far as to say that Crysis will be Vista's Halo.dgsag
Don't forget Shadowrun
lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts

JoeWii60

wiimote=not a gimmick,just because you dont like it does not make it a gimmick

blue ray=not a gimmick,outselling hd dvd 2 to 1.probably will become mainstream when hdtv's are mainstream.

hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hyperboy152000
Member since 2003 • 4815 Posts

Contrary to popular belief, Halo 2 is not the MAIN game behind the GFW propgram. It is Crysis, with MS going so far as to say that Crysis will be Vista's Halo.dgsag

cant really see how that works considering that its the SP AND the MP that made halo so popular.....so crysis better have a long and intertesting SP to keep people buying the game

Axecident

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Axecident
Member since 2006 • 1778 Posts

JoeWii60
ROFL
mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts
GfW really could be just a short-term marketing crap in order to push Vista sales.IgGy621985
LMAO..you reckon?? Of course it is..it's called business
Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

I believe Microsoft is just dipping their toe in, so to speak.

They really haven't inversted much into this yet at all.  I still haven't seen anything in retail game areas that they have promised.  I don't see anything advertised on TV (though I watch little TV, so maybe that is why).

It is probably something to help push Vista.  Also, with reference to dipping the toe in the waters, they would probably like to see how much people embrace the idea of Live Anywhere.

I hope the retail branding proceeds, but I hope Live Anywhere flops miserably.  The last thing I want to see happen to PC gaming is it become fully under Microsofts control with respect to online playing.

Kayrod29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Kayrod29
Member since 2005 • 5301 Posts
Yes it is, Hermits are forced to buy Vista in order to play the best PC gaming can offer. Me, I'll just continue using Windows XP, the best OS ever made, my games run fine on it, no need to upgrade.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Yes it is, Hermits are forced to buy Vista in order to play the best PC gaming can offer. Me, I'll just continue using Windows XP, the best OS ever made, my games run fine on it, no need to upgrade.Kayrod29
I am going to get Vista for $20, so it doesn't really hurt me.
Kayrod29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Kayrod29
Member since 2005 • 5301 Posts
[QUOTE="Kayrod29"]Yes it is, Hermits are forced to buy Vista in order to play the best PC gaming can offer. Me, I'll just continue using Windows XP, the best OS ever made, my games run fine on it, no need to upgrade.smokeydabear076

If I were you I'd wait, I heard it was bad ATM, memory hogger of some sort. I talk to E2 alot about it.
kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts
Hey, if it means that I can use my 360 controller with those games, I'm all for it.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Kayrod29"]Yes it is, Hermits are forced to buy Vista in order to play the best PC gaming can offer. Me, I'll just continue using Windows XP, the best OS ever made, my games run fine on it, no need to upgrade.Kayrod29

If I were you I'd wait, I heard it was bad ATM, memory hogger of some sort. I talk to E2 alot about it.

Yeah I have to at least wait until August in order to get it for only $20. I am in no rush to get it either.
the1stmoonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 the1stmoonfly
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts
MS are starting to push Live anywhere, which is part of games for windows, JUST WAIT TILL SHADOWRUN comes out, then the big push will start.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Games for Windows has been around since 2005. It is just now becoming more popular with the launch of Vista, so therefore, by date alone you would see that it is not just because of Vista.

MS is trying to make PC gaming simpler by making sure that people know quickly and easily what will and what won't play on their PC, since many people don't know the difference between Vista, XP, or Mac OS, let alone what RAM is. 

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Kayrod29"]Yes it is, Hermits are forced to buy Vista in order to play the best PC gaming can offer. Me, I'll just continue using Windows XP, the best OS ever made, my games run fine on it, no need to upgrade.Kayrod29

Its not a bad OS, and its requirements are high enough to where the memory it uses isn't drastic, but since I am not a hardcore PC gamer, I have no reason to upgrade, nor do I want to. I will stick with XP. 

trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trix5817
Member since 2004 • 12252 Posts
You do know that GfW games can be played on XP right? They aren't Vista exclusive.....
baddog121390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 baddog121390
Member since 2005 • 4335 Posts

[QUOTE="dgsag"]Contrary to popular belief, Halo 2 is not the MAIN game behind the GFW propgram. It is Crysis, with MS going so far as to say that Crysis will be Vista's Halo.hyperboy152000

cant really see how that works considering that its the SP AND the MP that made halo so popular.....so crysis better have a long and intertesting SP to keep people buying the game

Errr, single-player is a huge part of Crysis. Though, Crytek has said they're putting equal emphasis on both components.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
You do know that GfW games can be played on XP right? They aren't Vista exclusive.....trix5817
now, anyway. but that's the same with any system.
Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts

Vista uses more memory and resources, but then name a major Windows upgrade that hasn't.

When Windows 95 launched people were appalled at how terrible it ran at 4mb of memory, which was fine for Windows 3.1.

When Windows 98 launched it ran pretty poorly at under 16mb, 32mb was Ideal.

Windows XP? My God.... 128mb chug city. 256mb was ideal, which later raised to 512mb as service packs released.

Windows Vista at 512mb ugh... but in Vista's case if you have a good, 1gb+ USB flash drive you can get MUCH better performance with only 512. I'd say 1gb is the bare minimum and 2gb or more is ideal.

Each of these OS seemed to have ludicrously high requirements when they launched but it wasn't long at all before the technology caught up and competent PC with good OS performance were on the market. And like has been said at the early launch of any recent Windows: if your current system is running fine and performing well don't bother to upgrade yet, if at all, until you have new hardware or more memory.