Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

Always start with a LINK.

Have you been gassing up those big psvr numbers? Feeling like it's here to stay...? Sonys got a true killer piece of hardware ready to saturate the masses like wildfire!

Or does it?

"While 4.2 million is certainly a big number in and of itself, its actual import depends a lot on what you’re comparing it to. So to put Sony’s latest report in context, we’ve gathered a bevy of relevant comparison numbers for you to peruse in both chart and list form. Use this as a handy reference for your next debate about whether console virtual reality is a “dead end” or not."

• 130 days: Time since release for PSVR to sell 915,000 headsets (~7K/day) (Source)
  • 417 days: Time since release for PSVR to sell 2 million headsets (~4.8K/day) (Source)
  • 673 days: Time since release for PSVR to sell 3 million headsets (~4.5K/day) (Source)
  • 872 days: Time since release for PSVR to sell 4.2 million headsets (~4.8K/day) (Source)
  • 43 days: Time since release for the PS4 to sell 4.2 million units (Source)
  • 154 days: Time since release for the Xbox One to ship 5 million units (Source)
  • 317 days: Time since release for the Wii U to sell 3.91 million units (Source)
  • 4.08 million: Rough Superdata estimate for PSVR headset sales through the end of 2018
  • 0.99 million: Rough Superdata estimate for Oculus Rift headset sales through the end of 2018
  • 1.3 million: Rough Superdata estimate for HTC Vive headset sales through the end of 2018
  • 4 million: Rough Nvidia estimate for total “PC VR” headset sales through the end of 2018
  • 4.4%: Rough ratio of PSVR owners to PS4 owners (4.2M / 94.2M) (Source)
  • 2.16%: Rough ratio of Sega 32X owners to Sega Genesis owners (0.665M / 30.75M; 32X sales through end of 1994) (Sources (1) (2))
  • 7.2%: Rough ratio of Sega CD owners to Sega Genesis owners (2.24M / 30.75M) (Source)
  • 31.5%: Rough ratio of original Kinect owners to Xbox 360 owners (24M / 76M as of Feb. 2013) (Source)
  • 411,488: Estimate of unique Oculus Rift headsets connected to Steam in February 2019.
  • 335,980: Estimate of unique HTC Vive headsets connected to Steam in February 2019.
  • 85,012: Estimate of unique Windows Mixed Reality headsets connected to Steam in February 2019.
  • 770,000: Lifetime sales of the Virtual Boy (Source)
  • 1 million: Original expectations for the first six months of PSVR sales (Source)

That's an awful lot to pour over, but it does give lots of comparative data as to how to look at its success and failings.... What do you pull from this? To me, it seems psvr is niche... Its nearly 8 times less popular than Kinect and a little more than half as successful than Sega CD, which is kinda funny.

Debate if you'd like... How would you like to spin the numbers?

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

The comparison to Sega 32x, CD, etc is totally dishonest and misses the point. You have lumped in each separate VR headset as if they are all different platforms, which they are not. HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, and even Windows MR to an extent are all part of the same platform. As an example, Resident Evil 7 VR, a great VR experience, is not exclusive to PSVR, but it can be played with various VR headsets on PC as well.

While VR numbers are relatively low compared to actual console and PC hardware, VR is newer and not a mainstream product - it costs a hefty amount of money, especially for the PC headsets. However, the experience it provides is not merely a gimmick like 3d TVs or a small boost in power like the Sega 32x, but another unified platform entirely which has a ton of potential. Gamers should be celebrating VR rather than parasitic streaming services.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@mazuiface: ‘Gamers should be celebrating VR rather than parasitic streaming services.’

Not a valid comparison as one forces a cumbersome helmet on your head and the other makes gaming easier. We stream music and movies quite reliably, gaming is the next logical step. Latency only improves and pretty soon it’ll be a non issue. You really think they’re going to invest millions of dollars into technology that won’t work?

Did you ever collect CDs and movies? It was very pricey. Streaming has made both more affordable and your choices unlimited. Trust me, you’ll have too much to play in the coming years and your wallet will thank you.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts

VR sounds the same as mobile does for me these days:

absolutely boring

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mazuiface

@Sevenizz said:

@mazuiface: ‘Gamers should be celebrating VR rather than parasitic streaming services.’

Not a valid comparison as one forces a cumbersome helmet on your head and the other makes gaming easier. We stream music and movies quite reliably, gaming is the next logical step. Latency only improves and pretty soon it’ll be a non issue. You really think they’re going to invest millions of dollars into technology that won’t work?

Ok so you've never worn a VR headset. The only way it could seriously be cumbersome is if you have some sort of severe muscular dystrophy. I have worn an HTC Vive and a PSVR, and both were decently comfortable and genuinely interesting. There is a lot of potential, which has already been shown by games like Resident Evil 7 and Ace Combat. The bottom line is that this is actual new content for gamers.

With streaming services, yes, they are absolutely antithetical to the development of video games and access to them. You're essentially arguing that you would rather pay some parasite to have access to games that they didn't have any hand in developing or publishing rather than owning the content yourself. There is already enough of a stink about Steam's DRM (which is very light already), and then MS attempted to strong arm people with their initial Xbox One concept which met a huge backlash for good reasons - now these major corporations have just dressed it up as a "streaming service" and it's all of a sudden "the future." Absolute nonsense. Hold onto your head.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sevenizz

@mazuiface: I’ll tell you what’s less cumbersome - no head attachment. But I digress.

I’m not sure where you’re second point was headed (parasites, non developers streamjng games?), but who cares where you get your games? The Netflix model bothers you because you aren’t supporting movie studios directly? Huh?

Look, gaming is about to become a lot more affordable, more choices, more available, and a lot less cluttered. Try to have a more open mind because in the not so distant future, you won’t have a choice.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

So, whats the point of this? Do we like options or whatever? Or not when Sony does them? I'm confused, why do we need to damage control this?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

It's a hard sell. A lot of the games on it are either new ips or spin offs from a series which doesn't help it sell faster. Plus it's limited in the genres it can immerse.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

So, whats the point of this? Do we like options or whatever? Or not when Sony does them? I'm confused, why do we need to damage control this?

Who is damage controlling anything? We are looking at numbers.... And context.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mazuiface

@Sevenizz:

Despite the fundamental difference between renting a game vs renting a movie that you watch once or twice, video streaming paints a picture of how terrible this can become for games - because, despite actually funding original shows, they have now made it so that having access to every show is less affordable. How many of them are now popping up with exclusive content? Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, and more. If you really wanted access to all of the content, you would have to subscribe to each one of these (hence the "Subscription wars" analog to "System wars" begins). And if you're wondering if I think that the same thing applies for console exclusives, to an extent, yes I do and that is part of the reason why I game on PC - but at least as it stands right now, you can buy them and own them.

EDIT: I forgot to add the most important aspect of streaming services vs development of games: the way shareholders demand instant profits. If you want to accept streaming services for gaming, be prepared to accept a dramatic decline in the quality of video games in exchange for whatever pads the list of games with the lowest effort possible. If there is anything to go by right now, games like Sea of Thieves were intended to be the pioneer of "games as a service" and take a look at it.

I have compared all of this to the expansion of new technologies, namely VR, which *adds* content to video gaming across PC and consoles and expands the possibilities for new games. I think the rest stands for everyone else to see here. If the only gripe you can come up with is that you have to put something on your head, then you might as well argue that your controller is too heavy or that pressing buttons is too much work.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Seems to be doing just fine.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

This is going to make some folks really upset.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#14 adsparky  Online
Member since 2006 • 2564 Posts

For what it is, I say those are good numbers, not outstanding but far from being a failure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

You seem very upset

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@adsparky said:

For what it is, I say those are good numbers, not outstanding but far from being a failure.

the chart in the OP clealry shows the wiiU destroying and wrecking VR. was the wiiU a failure?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

@fedor said:

Seems to be doing just fine.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

7k a day for an accessory is pretty darn impressive.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

Comparing it with...console sales? Why? And please don't compare it with an accessory that came with every console sold either...

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I think VR is still in its infancy really. Its new and expensive tech and selling millions for a $400 peripheral/add on to a consumer that has to buy it to experience it shows that people will adopt to it.

VR is still limited but I hope it continues to grow even if it never makes it mainstream. Playing Skyrim VR is like no other experience I have had, and I've been gaming since the NES. Until it gets cheaper, It will only be adopted by people with the disposable income to spend that kind of money on an experience that they may or may not like.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@sakaixx said:

Impressive lol, you cows called the Kinect a failure and yet in the first 3 months on the market MS was selling 133K units per day, so the PSVR is a mega failure.

Not only that but MS sold more than twice as many Kinects in 3 months at full price than Sony has sold the discounted and permanent price drop PSVR's in 29 months lol.

PSVRHBO :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

@i_p_daily: I was gonna hype PSVR cause its doing incredible, but looking at that data, I wanted to point out Kinect's rocket fired launch into sales heaven.

Although I wasn't here, I imagine people shit on Kinect, despite at time and maybe still the fastest selling consumer electronic product of all time, or something along the lines of selling shit ton.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#23  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

Wow, you got to love the tears of Xbox and Nintendo fannies whenever PSVR is mentioned. If PSVR was on Xbox or Nintendo you'd be praising it as average plus and sometimes great, what it really is. Xbox doesn't even give a crap enough about you to give you any VR. lmao.

I also don't care about sales, hopefully positive. It comes down to if I enjoy the product which I do with PSVR.

I assume you can't compare the Kinect with PSVR because Kinect sucked for the most part and PSVR doesn't. Isn't that like hyping up the PS Camera, pathetic Lems.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

VR sounds the same as mobile does for me these days:

absolutely boring

Lets put a headset on that noggin shall we? Astro Bot, Beat Saber, Wipeout, and Lone Echo / Echo VR. Once you're finished with those games, you're going to tell me how much fun you had and how it was nothing like mobile gaming, and that you're very very sorry. Because that's how it always goes with these games.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

It's a hard sell. A lot of the games on it are either new ips or spin offs from a series which doesn't help it sell faster. Plus it's limited in the genres it can immerse.

How is it limited? List the genres that VR doesn't work well for. There are only a small handful that don't have much to gain, but can at least still work and gain somewhat - just not a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

PSVR is one of many headsets. The PS4 can't really deliver a high quality VR experience. It's too weak, the games end up look dramatically worse than what we're used to.

That being said, VR is phenomenal. I've used the psvr multiple times and I loved it. I look forward to future iterations but in its current state I can't see it being a legit hit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@strategyfn said:

Wow, you got to love the tears of Xbox and Nintendo fannies whenever PSVR is mentioned. If PSVR was on Xbox or Nintendo you'd be praising it as average plus and sometimes great, what it really is. Xbox doesn't even give a crap enough about you to give you any VR. lmao.

I also don't care about sales, hopefully positive. It comes down to if I enjoy the product which I do with PSVR.

I assume you can't compare the Kinect with PSVR because Kinect sucked for the most part and PSVR doesn't. Isn't that like hyping up the PS Camera, pathetic Lems.

A cow who doesn't care about sales is like seeing a unicorn, they just don't exist lol.

And you also seem very upset, its ok if you like it, but that doesn't stop it from being a total failure :)

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 strategyfn

@i_p_daily said:
@strategyfn said:

A cow who doesn't care about sales is like seeing a unicorn, they just don't exist lol.

And you also seem very upset, its ok if you like it, but that doesn't stop it from being a total failure :)

Okay Finance wizard. Isn't like 4 000 000 X $350 = $1,400,000,000. Who knows how much of that is net profit?

And you should know about failures the Xbox brand being your console of choice this gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@strategyfn said:
@i_p_daily said:
@strategyfn said:

Okay Finance wizard. Isn't like 4 000 000 X $350 = $1,400,000,000. Who knows how much of that is net profit?

And you should know about failures the Xbox brand being your console of choice this gen.

Yeah lets forget about all the price cuts and permanent price drop, and your biggest failure is that you don't know how much money Sony is making per unit lol.

I love racing games so the XB1 is the console of choice this gen :)

EDIT: So much for you not caring about sales LOL.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

So PSVR is still the most successful VR headset of all time right?

That’s all I need to know.

It’s a huge success and Sony is going to make a PSVR2. Rumours suggesting twice as good, more comfortable and mostly wireless.

It’s only going to get better.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By strategyfn

@i_p_daily: I was guessing the average price if you want to make it $249, when its probably more like $279, you still almost get a billion $996,000,000. Like I said I don't know the net profit, but it doesn't seem like a total failure like you put it.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By strategyfn

@i_p_daily said:
@strategyfn said:
@i_p_daily said:
@strategyfn said:

EDIT: So much for you not caring about sales LOL.

Well I hope my side wins. But more important to me is that I have a good and fun experience.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@sakaixx said:

Impressive lol, you cows called the Kinect a failure and yet in the first 3 months on the market MS was selling 133K units per day, so the PSVR is a mega failure.

Not only that but MS sold more than twice as many Kinects in 3 months at full price than Sony has sold the discounted and permanent price drop PSVR's in 29 months lol.

In defence, PSVR actually has great games for it while the best you get out of kinect was Star Wars Solo Song. Hey, at least its catchy ;)

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@strategyfn said:

@i_p_daily: I was guessing the average price if you want to make it $249, when its probably more like $279, you still almost get a billion $996,000,000. Like I said I don't know the net profit, but it doesn't seem like a total failure like you put it.

Didn't Project Gotham Racing turn into the Forza games? I didn't like PGR. I'd rather play GT Sport anyway.

Think about this, you're basing your argument on a guess lol.

No PGR did not turn into a Forza game, They are different franchises made by 2 different devs 1 of which no longer exists.

Say how is GT Sport, I mean they should give you all those free cars by 2022 lol.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sevenizz

@mazuiface: You’re thinking too hard about this and most of it is wasted paranoia. A fear of something new. Odd given how gamers usually embrace new technology.

But you’ll come around. You’ll have no choice. You can’t stop technology.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 adsparky  Online

@KBFloYd said:
@adsparky said:

the chart in the OP clealry shows the wiiU destroying and wrecking VR. was the wiiU a failure?

The PSVR is the cheapest of them all, and still costs way more than the best version of the wii u at launch, in vr there are hardly any big titles or names in that platform, the wii u on the other side had the support of the biggest franchises Nintendo and some third parties had to offer. Also, the wii u was the successor of one of the best selling consoles of all time and failed to reach even 20% of what its predecessor sold.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 strategyfn

@i_p_daily: maybe I played a Forza game on my 360 and I didn’t like it, I forget. You hate psvr on a guess.

NerdRAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38 NerdRAGE
Member since 2019 • 35 Posts

There's going to be a lot of interpretations from those numbers, but looking at everything, one thing is clear:

PSVR is in the same class as the Sega 32X, Sega CD, and the Xbox Kinect as a slow moving device. It's also taken more than double the amount of time for PSVR to beat out the Wii U's 3.91 million mark. So my question is what do these devices all have in common that's to blame? Is it low consumer interest? Is it lack of content? Is it price? Or do they all have their own individual quirks that just turned most people away?

No matter how this is sliced up, the conclusion is that PSVR isn't doing as well as it should. Especially when it's statics are comparable to 4 other devices which all shared the same trajectory and went on to fail.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@adsparky said:
@KBFloYd said:
@adsparky said:

The PSVR is the cheapest of them all, and still costs way more than the best version of the wii u at launch, in vr there are hardly any big titles or names in that platform, the wii u on the other side had the support of the biggest franchises Nintendo and some third parties had to offer. Also, the wii u was the successor of one of the best selling consoles of all time and failed to reach even 20% of what its predecessor sold.

so the wiiU was a bigger failure because it had better games and should of outsold psvr a by a ton more? really? being a better system makes it a bigger failure? wierd.

also, psvr is 200$ the wiiU was never discounted and was 300$ its whole life.

So if wiiU had shiitier games and support it would sell just as shitty as PSVR? is what your saying?

so psvr has shitty support and thats why its a miracle that it sold as much as it did is your argument?

wow

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

One day I will try VR.... but it probably won't be PSVR

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

It kinda sucks tho

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

But not before the XBOX fanboy eh?

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 adsparky  Online

@KBFloYd said:
@adsparky said:
@KBFloYd said:
@adsparky said:

so the wiiU was a bigger failure because it had better games and should of outsold psvr a by a ton more? really? being a better system makes it a bigger failure? wierd.

also, psvr is 200$ the wiiU was never discounted and was 300$ its whole life.

So if wiiU had shiitier games and support it would sell just as shitty as PSVR? is what your saying?

so psvr has shitty support and thats why its a miracle that it sold as much as it did is your argument?

wow

You're exaggerating and puting words in my mouth, but yes basically that's the idea.

With all the support it had the Wii U got bad numbers, if it wasn't for said support it would have sold way less than that; on the other side, developers and consumers took a cautious approach to say the least to VR, and just recently we have seen bigger developers and franchises jump in the wagon, it's far from being successful, but by this point in the lifetime of the Wii U, practically everyone except for Nintendo had already abandoned the Wii U.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

The biggest stat I see here is that almost 5000 people per day are buying VR. That’s actually good for where it’s at. For a new tech product like this that’s a slow but steady stream of people taking the plunge per day. I had a Rift for a little while then sold it cuz I don’t feel VR is quite ready yet. Resolution needs to increase and the cables must go. But this is a good sign that VR is here to stay this time. It’s gonna be all about the next generation of VR and the job of this first gen was to keep it alive for tech to advance while building consumer interest. We can tease VR because it is not big time yet but the seed has been planted and I think VR is here to stay.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts
@darthbuzzard said:

Lets put a headset on that noggin shall we? Astro Bot, Beat Saber, Wipeout, and Lone Echo / Echo VR. Once you're finished with those games, you're going to tell me how much fun you had and how it was nothing like mobile gaming, and that you're very very sorry. Because that's how it always goes with these games.

Hey, I'm not saying other people can't have fun with mobile gaming.

I'm not interested in playing mini games, I had my fill of those when motion gaming was the trend of the day.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@pelvist: Well if I post it after cows show up it would be pointless eh?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@sakaixx said:
@i_p_daily said:
@sakaixx said:

In defence, PSVR actually has great games for it while the best you get out of kinect was Star Wars Solo Song. Hey, at least its catchy ;)

Loading Video...

PSVR has great games?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@strategyfn said:

@i_p_daily: maybe I played a Forza game on my 360 and I didn’t like it, I forget. You hate psvr on a guess.

I know what I like when it comes to video games and VR is not one of those things, its no guess.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

According to @i_p_daily PSVR is not niche.

So your whole post is moot and therefore PSVR is a total and complete success whichever way you look at it.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

@pelvist: Well if I post it after cows show up it would be pointless eh?

It's pointless either way son, but you be you.