Pushing game play forward and adopting PS2 graphics?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

One thing which I have always thought is, what if a game with PS2 level graphics is made and all that extra processing power is put towards game play, physics and so forth?

So we use a lot of power for our complex lighting, textures., models etc but what if we instead tried to push game play itself? Firstly the frame rate would be insanely good! 60 fps easy and high resolution. The amount of enemies on the screen could be near endless, all with realistic physics and other effects which would be too demanding in a modern visually impressive game.

Anyways just wanted to share that thought, in case there are other gamers here who have often thought the same thing ^______^

Also happy Friday!!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@aki2017 said:

One thing which I have always thought is, what if a game with PS2 level graphics is made and all that extra processing power is put towards game play, physics and so forth?

So we use a lot of power for our complex lighting, textures., models etc but what if we instead tried to push game play itself? Firstly the frame rate would be insanely good! 60 fps easy and high resolution. The amount of enemies on the screen could be near endless, all with realistic physics and other effects which would be too demanding in a modern visually impressive game.

Anyways just wanted to share that thought, in case there are other gamers here who have often thought the same thing ^______^

Also happy Friday!!

First appearances, they sell.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

i have also wondered about the same thing. i wouldnt go as far as locking it into PS2 graphics....say PS3/360/wiiu levels. so it would still look good. sometimes some of the most creative things can come when someone has their hand tied behind their back.

so what could they do with all the freed up ram, GPU and cpu capacity? hardware accelerated CFD in racing sims? better and more realistic physics (both the eye candy kind like hair and cloth animations but also the gameplay kind as seen a lot in BOTW). more interesting and robust AI? ai developers usually have to fight for CPU time because AI is difficult to market. more enemies and stuff on the screen (relatively simple assets for a PS4/X1/PC means they can render a lot more of them).

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Didn't the latest NPD numbers show that 2/3rds of gamers buy games based on graphics ?

Which is absolute BS by the way, but it's for sure what big publishers think.

Otherwise we wouldn't have companies lying about what games will end up looking like, like Ubisoft has done multiple times.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aki2017

@osan0 said:

i have also wondered about the same thing. i wouldnt go as far as locking it into PS2 graphics....say PS3/360/wiiu levels. so it would still look good. sometimes some of the most creative things can come when someone has their hand tied behind their back.

so what could they do with all the freed up ram, GPU and cpu capacity? hardware accelerated CFD in racing sims? better and more realistic physics (both the eye candy kind like hair and cloth animations but also the gameplay kind as seen a lot in BOTW). more interesting and robust AI? ai developers usually have to fight for CPU time because AI is difficult to market. more enemies and stuff on the screen (relatively simple assets for a PS4/X1/PC means they can render a lot more of them).

Exactly the possibilities are large and gets my inner gamer going. I thought I'd use PS2 graphics as an example, but as long as it's past gen graphics with heaps of power left over. AI is something I've always felt could be taken further. Cloth animations would be wicked and hair/fur ^ ^ I like ur thinking

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

Future consoles will be getting some form of RyZen, which will be a huge CPU boost over Jaguar, even if the core count and clock speed remained the same.

A much better CPU is the first order of business for games to get much better physics, more destructible and dynamic game worlds, and overall new gameplay possibilities not yet achieved.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Aki2017

@scrollinglayers said:

Future consoles will be getting some form of RyZen, which will be a huge CPU boost over Jaguar, even if the core count and clock speed remained the same.

A much better CPU is the first order of business for games to get much better physics, more destructible and dynamic game worlds, and overall new gameplay possibilities not yet achieved.

Think I'll have to google and educate myself on that. have heard the name a few times before. This "RyZen".

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Because of how different parts of a machine do different things, just cutting the graphics down to PS2 level isn't going to cut it. In a lot of cases, it will still need a good CPU, like that guy above said.

A little different example than what you are saying but I remember the reason Paradox went 3D with Europa Universalis 3 was not to have better looking assets, but to let GPU handle some work so CPU can be used for gameplay calculations only.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Youd get something cool like Minecraft or WoW.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#10 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

When examining the technical merits of games, the argument is often raised that gameplay is more important than technology. What Nintendo proves is that a great technology base is necessary in order to deliver world-class gameplay.

Digital Foundry on Super Mario 3d World, 2013

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Sure, if all you got to work with is Poo, make mooaar Poo I guess. :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@funsohng said:

Because of how different parts of a machine do different things, just cutting the graphics down to PS2 level isn't going to cut it. In a lot of cases, it will still need a good CPU, like that guy above said.

A little different example than what you are saying but I remember the reason Paradox went 3D with Europa Universalis 3 was not to have better looking assets, but to let GPU handle some work so CPU can be used for gameplay calculations only.

Eh, that's not completely true. You would absolutely gain some over head to do other things with that power. You dial back your texture quality or whatever, and focus more on stylized visuals or something, and that will definitely give you more room to work with how many enemies you can work on screen and such. It would still be time consuming and probably not exactly cheaper, but it would naturally have its benefits. It's not a surprise the type of games that can be 60 frames per second on consoles aren't necessarily on the cutting edge visually most of the time, or they have a more limited scale in terms of their game space.

@hiphops_savior said:

When examining the technical merits of games, the argument is often raised that gameplay is more important than technology. What Nintendo proves is that a great technology base is necessary in order to deliver world-class gameplay.

Digital Foundry on Super Mario 3d World, 2013

Nothing about what the tc wrote would imply a weak game engine. There are plenty of games from gen 6, hell mechanically speaking Sunshine wipes the floor with 3d World, still have tighter gameplay than a shit load of their gen 7/8 counterparts, not the least of which is just because of a tighter framerrate. He's talking about cutting back on the production value in certain areas for something else.

Which we sort of get, it's not like Bethesda doesn't do a lot of visual tricks to at least try to spruce up their games some what visually to pull off the games they make. In Nintendo's case they have more stylized visuals and vibrant art styles to mask the limitations of their hardware. Said trade off so they can have 60 frames Mario, or do what they did with Breath of the Wild (and that's with framerate issues).

NorseFetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NorseFetus
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

I could deal with Xbox/PS2 graphics for 60fps entirely.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Gameplay and graphics are not mutually exclusive.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#15 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Wasdie said:

yep, a good game is a good game regardless of how it looks.

The Game doesn't need to break graphics card benchmarks to be considered "Amazing." But that also doesn't excuse the game of having a terrible art style.

Kjtc1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16 Kjtc1979
Member since 2017 • 365 Posts

One of the directors of Breath of the Wild said that when they had to make a choice between making something more interactive for the player or making it prettier, they always chose putting more time into making the game more interactive.

I think once graphics reach their limits overall, more focus will go back to gameplay. Developers will always have the limitations of time and have to make choices.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Dynasty Warriors did this. How successful and engaging are those games? :P

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Didn't the latest NPD numbers show that 2/3rds of gamers buy games based on graphics ?

Which is absolute BS by the way, but it's for sure what big publishers think.

Otherwise we wouldn't have companies lying about what games will end up looking like, like Ubisoft has done multiple times.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I'm very happy with the Wii U era level of graphics. If graphics never got any better I'd be fine.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Mind completely BLOWN!

SW can't connect the two.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@metalslimenite said:

@ronvalencia: Your graph shows just how shallow gamers really are.

Given the choices, I would pick graphics as my #1 out of that list too. There is no general gameplay option in that poll.

I don't care about stories, I don't care about online gameplay exclusively, price only bothers me if it's above the standards, and nostalgia is irrelevant.

That said, graphics are a big selling point. A lot of casual gamers love good looking games.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ronvalencia

@metalslimenite said:

I agree that devs spend too much time working on unnecessary visuals which creates a void in creativity. I blame those who constantly cry over how a game looks.

3D engine developers are spending significant time just to get their 3D engine to run more than 10 fps.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-how-the-crew-was-ported-to-playstation-4

At the Ubisoft E3 event, the PC version of The Crew was running at 30 frames per second, but the first working compilation of the PS4 codebase wasn't quite so hot, operating at around 10fps.

PS4 Pro has 30 percent faster CPU hence, 13 fps with direct port from PC. Project Cars developer has used four CPU cores just for GPU command list generation threads.

For PS4, Multithreading and Async Compute Engine (ACE) Units are required to maximize it's capability. PS4 has 8 ACE units.

For XBO, Multithreading, custom D3D12 command processor**and two Async Compute Engine (ACE) Units are required to maximize it's capability.

**In place of Windows PC's double stage JIT(Just In Time) re-compiler.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@ronvalencia: Honestly, the fact those statistics include mobile games, means that data is pretty irrelevant to those of us who game on PC or console and never touch mobile.

Who gives a **** what Joe Schmoe who's thinking about buying clash of clans thinks?

Is Joe Schmoe gonna go read a bunch of reviews, and figure out how good the gameplay is on a $5 mobile title? No. he'll probably click the app in the store, look at a few of the screenshots, and make a decision.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ronvalencia

@appariti0n said:

@ronvalencia: Honestly, the fact those statistics includes mobile games, means that data is pretty irrelevant to those of us who game on PC or console and never touch mobile.

Who gives a **** what Joe Schmoe who's thinking about buying clash of clans thinks?

Your argument with mobile games are red herrings. The real issue is buyer's purchasing priorities.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 appariti0n

@ronvalencia said:
@appariti0n said:

@ronvalencia: Honestly, the fact those statistics includes mobile games, means that data is pretty irrelevant to those of us who game on PC or console and never touch mobile.

Your argument with mobile games are red herrings. The real issue is buyer's purchasing priorities.

Do you even know what red herring means?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ronvalencia

@appariti0n said:
@ronvalencia said:
@appariti0n said:

Do you even know what red herring means?

Your argument doesn't address the buyer's purchasing priorities.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 appariti0n

@ronvalencia: Not what it means at all, but thanks for playing.

You like charts and quotes so much, here's one for you.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/graphics-not-among-the-top-reasons-people-buy-game/1100-6426659/

Imagine that, when you exclude mobile gamers, and focus on console gamers, the reasons for purchase change dramatically.

So I ask you, why would console developers develop based on the preferences of a demographic that includes MOBILE gamers?

Here's another chart for you too. This one focuses on probabilities.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ronvalencia

@appariti0n said:

@ronvalencia:

Imagine that, when you exclude mobile gamers, and focus on console gamers, the reasons for purchase change dramatically.

Unsupported bullshit.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 appariti0n

@ronvalencia: very effective and well thought out response. Kudos to you sir!

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ronvalencia

@appariti0n said:

@ronvalencia: very effective and well thought out response. Kudos to you sir!

Following your example.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

I don't think most people care if it's 30fps. Pushing better graphics will only make the game look better for the casual consumer.

I'd love the idea but generally not great for business.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

So, the Switch?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 appariti0n

@metalslimenite: LOLOL nice.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

ps2?

why not adapt NES graphics like those hipster indie trash?

bbbbbut teh game play......

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

@aki2017 said:

Also happy Friday!!

Most of the processing in modern consoles are within the graphics card and not the CPU.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Aki2017

@Pedro said:
@aki2017 said:

Also happy Friday!!

Most of the processing in modern consoles are within the graphics card and not the CPU.

My apologies, perhaps I should have clarified further. I'm actually referring to the entirety of modern consoles, no just CPU's. So the graphics card, RAM, everything. Dynasty Warriors was mentioned above and I feel that was actually a good example. When that launched, on the PS2, you just knew that was not possible on the PS1 and was taking advantage of extra power outside of graphics. Anyways, guess I'm saying I would like to see new gameplay elements or something added, even if its at the expense of looks.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Aki2017

@kjtc1979 said:

One of the directors of Breath of the Wild said that when they had to make a choice between making something more interactive for the player or making it prettier, they always chose putting more time into making the game more interactive.

I think once graphics reach their limits overall, more focus will go back to gameplay. Developers will always have the limitations of time and have to make choices.

That sounds about right and I am super glad they made that choice. The world feels very alive as a result