PSVR Listed @ $800 on Amazon then removed.

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Well how about that, I guess they were right about Tomb Raider for PC, let's see how this pans out....

Why is this not being talked about? For one I do not doubt this price, it's similar technology to the Rift which is $600, however you have to factor in that the PSVR headset also does processing to make up for the PlayStation 4's hardware deficiencies, something which would obviously increase its price, I don't see this being unrealistic.

http://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/playstationvr-briefly-listed-on-amazon-for-800/

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

That is fucking crazy.

Good times to those setting out on the VR adventure.

I'll be waiting so the inn to hear the tales, lol.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

It's even more costly than a quality made Occulus Rift.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NyaDC

It feels like this is being intentionally ignored, I wonder why.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#5 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

No way PSVR is going to be more than extremely niche at that price.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I guess Sony got cocky again and thought they could suck the wallets of their consumers.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mr_Huggles_dog

@nyadc: why do you say it's being ignored?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

What's more ridiculous than the enormous price is how in the flying f*ck will a ps4 handle 75fps+ per eye? That is the only thing that interests me about vr

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NyaDC

@mr_huggles_dog said:

It's been up for over 30 minutes and the responses have been very non-existent, I expected more people to be in here, this is pretty controversial, especially with all the bashing the Rift is getting for its price.

@silversix_ said:

What's more ridiculous than the enormous price is how in the flying f*ck will a ps4 handle 75fps+ per eye? That is the only thing that interests me about vr

The device does its own processing to make up for what the PlayStation 4 can't do, when it's hooked up and running a VR game it must offload computation to the headset which would make a price like this logical.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@nyadc said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

It's been up for over 30 minutes and the responses have been very non-existent, I expected more people to be in here, this is pretty controversial.

It's probably that hour where most of us are asleep.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mr_Huggles_dog

@nyadc: it is kinda late.

I thought you meant the subject was being ignored around the horn....not your thread.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

LOL it's a placeholder price. Amazon does that shit all the time. They list a price that's too high and a date like Dec 31stto get preorders. Once Sony announces the real price they'll quickly adjust. Settle down NyaDC, I know you want PSVR to fail but don't get ahead of yourself here. Besides, Sony already said it's gonna be be around the same price as a console, last I checked $800 is not the price of a console. Its most likely gonna be around $400 like the PS4.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NyaDC

@quadknight said:

LOL it's a placeholder price. Amazon does that shit all the time. They list a price that's too high and a date like Dec 31stto get preorders. Once Sony announces the real price they'll quickly adjust. Settle down NyaDC, I know you want PSVR to fail but don't get ahead of yourself here. Besides, Sony already said it's gonna be be around the same price as a console, last I checked $800 is not the price of a console. Its most likely gonna be around $400 like the PS4.

You can hope, this happens all the time as well and it's dead on, so don't act like it's only the other way around.

Look at the situation and what a device like this would really cost, $600 doesn't even seem feasible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I highly doubt it would be $800. It makes no sense, it's a less premium product than the Oculus, and that sells for $600 at a loss.

I imagine it will be $350-$400, but I suppose it is best to just wait and watch.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@nyadc said:
@quadknight said:

You can hope, this happens all the time as well and it's dead on, so don't act like it's only the other way around.

Look at the situation and what a device like this would really cost, $600 doesn't even seem feasible.

Think you're jumping the gun a tad early.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NyaDC
@charizard1605 said:

I highly doubt it would be $800. It makes no sense, it's a less premium product than the Oculus, and that sells for $600 at a loss.

I imagine it will be $350-$400, but I suppose it is best to just wait and watch.

How is it a less premium product? It's nearly the same technology however it also does processing, that should add heavily to the price.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

For some reason I thought Sony said it would be $400.

Not sure what Sony is expecting to accomplish if it's $800.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nyadc said:
@charizard1605 said:

How is it a less premium product? It's nearly the same technology however it also does processing, that should add heavily to the price.

Uses lesser components than Oculus Rift. Oculus has the best panels, face tracking, head tracking, and outside in motion tracking technology for it; PlayStation VR is basically to Oculus what a PS4 is to high end gaming PCs- a capable mid range product capable of emulating the same experiences, but with multiple compromises.

The external processor is just a CPU+GPU with a minimal BIOS, it can't be adding more than $50-$60 to the price. PlayStation VR itself is supposed to be around $330-$350, judging by prices of Crescent Bay and Oculus SDK 1. The long and short of it is that PlayStation VR is expected to be around $400. It being more expensive than Oculus will be an asinine move on Sony's part, they will be peddling an inferior product for a higher cost. No one will bite.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

VR will be destroyed before it even begins if this is the price. No one will buy this thing for that price. But it is within the price range I expected. After all Sony sells a theatre headset for around $1000.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NyaDC
@charizard1605 said:
@nyadc said:
@charizard1605 said:

Uses lesser components than Oculus Rift. Oculus has the best panels, face tracking, head tracking, and outside in motion tracking technology for it; PlayStation VR is basically to Oculus what a PS4 is to high end gaming PCs- a capable mid range product capable of emulating the same experiences, but with multiple compromises.

The external processor is just a CPU+GPU with a minimal BIOS, it can't be adding more than $50-$60 to the price. PlayStation VR itself is supposed to be around $330-$350, judging by prices of Crescent Bay and Oculus SDK 1. The long and short of it is that PlayStation VR is expected to be around $400. It being more expensive than Oculus will be an asinine move on Sony's part, they will be peddling an inferior product for a higher cost. No one will bite.

I don't know where you're getting this information, everything I've seen has shown it as a device to be a very comparable product with the addition of 'internal' processing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nyadc said:
@charizard1605 said:
@nyadc said:
@charizard1605 said:

I don't know where you're getting this information, everything I've seen has shown it as a device to be a very comparable product with the addition of 'internal' processing.

'Internal processing' is meant to compensate for the PS4's lower spec. It's another box that plugs in as a pass through between the PS4 and PSVR, to supplement the PS4's hardware power, so it can render VR.

Otherwise, no, it's not a comparable product. Any and all hands on impressions of PSVR and Oculus will tell you that Oculus is the superior, the best product of the lot, followed by Vive, followed by PSVR. The PSVR is not a bad product, but the issue between it and Oculus is, as I mentioned, the difference between a high end PC and a console.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NyaDC
@charizard1605 said:

'Internal processing' is meant to compensate for the PS4's lower spec. It's another box that plugs in as a pass through between the PS4 and PSVR, to supplement the PS4's hardware power, so it can render VR.

Otherwise, no, it's not a comparable product. Any and all hands on impressions of PSVR and Oculus will tell you that Oculus is the superior, the best product of the lot, followed by Vive, followed by PSVR. The PSVR is not a bad product, but the issue between it and Oculus is, as I mentioned, the difference between a high end PC and a console.

I think you're speaking wildly out of turn on this, now you're placing the Vive as an inferior device to the Rift? Based upon what? I don't think you actually know any technical information about these devices and are more or less assuming what you think is what...

That's really how it's coming across... I'm not getting any sense of actual knowledge from posts like this.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

There's just no way it's going to be 800$, Sony can't be that stupid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nyadc said:
@charizard1605 said:

I think you're speaking wildly out of turn on this, now you're placing the Vive as an inferior device to the Rift? I don't think you actually know any technical information about these devices and are more or less assuming what you think is what...

That's really how it's coming across... I'm not getting any sense of actual knowledge from posts like this.

Sorry, you're right, Vive is so far comparable to Oculus, so I was wrong there. But as for PlayStation VR vs Oculus, it's not a competition, Oculus is far beyond PlayStation VR.

I think that there’s not many people who already own a PS4 who don’t own a gaming PC who are going to go out and make that roughly $1,500 all-in investment in the Rift. It really is a separate market. They’re bringing virtual reality to a different group of people who I don’t think were ever really a part of our market anyway.

It’s also worth noting that their headset isn’t quite as high-end as ours — it’s still, I think, a good headset — and the PlayStation 4 is not nearly as powerful as our recommended spec for a PC.

SOURCE

The Rift has an extra 10 degrees of field of view on PS VR, giving Facebook's product more opportunity to keep gamers immersed in the experience. Moreover, the Rift's 2,160 x 1,200 resolution edges out PS VR's 960 × 1,080-per eye pixel count.

PS VR has a slightly higher refresh rate, capable of output frames at a frequency of 120 Hz, but that's a power draw and, being attached to a PlayStation, it doesn't have the unbounded resources of a gaming PC.

While Sony has confirmed that PS VR will bear a 5.7-inch panel, Oculus VR has yet to reveal the size of the Rift's faceplate. Both headsets will utilize organic LED for their displays. They'll both support 3D audio, a must, and connections to both HDMI and USB.

The Rift will leverage a magnetometer to orientate the headset in virtual spaces. Both head-mounted displays will make use of accelerometers and gyroscopes for tracking. PS VR will track eyes with the PlayStation Eye Tracking platform, while the Rift will lean on the external Constellation tracking system.

SOURCE

Essentially, Sony is using a mid grade VR solution, using a supplementary computing device to enhance the PS4 to run VR; they are foregoing a lot of elements that Oculus has, that PlayStation VR will not have, including a magentometer; their motion controllers are the PlayStation Move, which we know to not be as accurate to begin with, while Oculus is using the Oculus touch controllers, which have widely been praised as the best controller for VR. PSVR theoretically goes up to 120fps, but it uses interpolation to reach that with multiple games.

Like I said, it's not a competition.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NyaDC

@charizard1605 said:

Sorry, you're right, Vive is so far comparable to Oculus, so I was wrong there. But as for PlayStation VR vs Oculus, it's not a competition, Oculus is far beyond PlayStation VR.

I think that there’s not many people who already own a PS4 who don’t own a gaming PC who are going to go out and make that roughly $1,500 all-in investment in the Rift. It really is a separate market. They’re bringing virtual reality to a different group of people who I don’t think were ever really a part of our market anyway.

It’s also worth noting that their headset isn’t quite as high-end as ours — it’s still, I think, a good headset — and the PlayStation 4 is not nearly as powerful as our recommended spec for a PC.

SOURCE

The Rift has an extra 10 degrees of field of view on PS VR, giving Facebook's product more opportunity to keep gamers immersed in the experience. Moreover, the Rift's 2,160 x 1,200 resolution edges out PS VR's 960 × 1,080-per eye pixel count.

PS VR has a slightly higher refresh rate, capable of output frames at a frequency of 120 Hz, but that's a power draw and, being attached to a PlayStation, it doesn't have the unbounded resources of a gaming PC.

While Sony has confirmed that PS VR will bear a 5.7-inch panel, Oculus VR has yet to reveal the size of the Rift's faceplate. Both headsets will utilize organic LED for their displays. They'll both support 3D audio, a must, and connections to both HDMI and USB.

The Rift will leverage a magnetometer to orientate the headset in virtual spaces. Both head-mounted displays will make use of accelerometers and gyroscopes for tracking. PS VR will track eyes with the PlayStation Eye Tracking platform, while the Rift will lean on the external Constellation tracking system.

SOURCE

Essentially, Sony is using a mid grade VR solution, using a supplementary computing device to enhance the PS4 to run VR; they are foregoing a lot of elements that Oculus has, that PlayStation VR will not have, including a magentometer; their motion controllers are the PlayStation Move, which we know to not be as accurate to begin with, while Oculus is using the Oculus touch controllers, which have widely been praised as the best controller for VR. PSVR theoretically goes up to 120fps, but it uses interpolation to reach that with multiple games.

Like I said, it's not a competition.

I've read about them all and I plan on buying two of them, the Vive and PSVR, but you're making them seem worlds apart, and they're not, they're the difference between say an R9 390X (Rift/Vive) and an R9 380 (PSVR) in the GPU world as a reference point, it's a lesser device but it's still a comparable albeit lesser product. What you're doing it is placing the other two at Fury X levels against a 380, and that's just not the case.. Also a lot of these analysis's of the PSVR headset keep hamstringing in to the power of the PC to the PS4 as a case against the device itself, it's a competent device, its source is not.

Yes, I am defending a Sony/PlayStation product.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nyadc: You aren't getting an Oculus?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NyaDC
@charizard1605 said:

No, I believe the Vive will get substantially more support and provide a better experience, they've also quelled the motion sickness issues which is something no one else has seemed to figure out.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mr_Huggles_dog

OMG....I just noticed you changed your avatar to a Playstation one.

What hell have a ended up in and what did you do with the Xbox loving lemming Nyadc?

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Looks like a placeholder price. PS4 games were listed at £99 at a stores website I use before the consoles were released.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#31  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

@nyadc said:
@charizard1605 said:

No, I believe the Vive will get substantially more support and provide a better experience, they've also quelled the motion sickness issues which is something no one else has seemed to figure out.

The Oculus Rift no longer has the simulator sickness from what I am hearing. DK1 and DK2 had it, but I believe Crescent Bay and CV1 have made it a thing of the past.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Considering that PSVR developers like Bandai Namco have gone on record as saying they hope it will be between $300-400 and cost less than Oculus, it would certainly blindside them if the product they'd been developing software for cost $800. (See http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/tekken-7-director-is-hoping-playstation-vr-price-is-in-the-300-400-range/ )

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@nyadc said:
@quadknight said:

You're gonna make me quote you when the actual price comes out and it turns out you're wrong like you always are.

There is virtually no way it will cost $800. The parts it's using are cheaper and not as high end as the OR.

There is literally no way it will cost more than the Rift. If Sony wants to be stupid they can make it cost $599 but there is literally 0% chance it will cost more than the OR much less $200 more.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

For the gamers! Awwwh yeah!

Though to be honest even if that's the price, it's still cheaper than the Rift + High-end gaming PC.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NyaDC

@mr_huggles_dog said:

OMG....I just noticed you changed your avatar to a Playstation one.

What hell have a ended up in and what did you do with the Xbox loving lemming Nyadc?

Do you think I hate PlayStation or something? I probably have more PlayStation consoles than anyone on this forum, I have 7.

@BassMan said:
@nyadc said:
@charizard1605 said:

The Oculus Rift no longer has the simulator sickness from what I am hearing. DK1 and DK2 had it, but I believe Crescent Bay and CV1 have made it a thing of the past.

Are you sure?

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@nyadc:

That is a good question to ask. How can sony produce a stronger (because it need to for lack of power ps4 has) and cheaper vr gear then Oculus. My wild guess is that its cheaper for sony to make these then oculus. Most of the stuff are already inhouse like OLED Screens, Image sensor if that is needed they prety much own that market. And for the external processor. The cell is back?. ps3 cell gotta be very cheap now and its actualy powerfull for what ever re projection tech they came up with. They are also prety much an enginering company for these types of digital imagery products. They took a hit but they are still one of the best at these kinda of stuff. They didnt need to form rnd or hire John Camark and the guys? just a new project for people they already have plus some contractors. Sony claims that they have RND this shit long time ago. They may just be more efficient at producing there gear today then oculus.

They may be willing to sell these at a loss or modest profit compare to Oculus. Guble the losses up with the profit of of ps4 and there Image sensor market. Call it an investment product that mostly came from those two division if you will.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44575 Posts

Hard to believe, any third party can make a page for almost anything.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#38  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

@nyadc said:
@BassMan said:
@nyadc said:
@charizard1605 said:

Are you sure?

I can't say 100% for everybody, but there are people who felt sick with the early prototypes and then tried CV1 and had no issues. It has slowly gotten better with each iteration. Better screens with less lag and blur, higher refresh rate, and better head tracking technology. This all helps keep you in sync and prevents the simulation sickness.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Fake. But i'll definitelly cost atleast 400

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#40 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

People here....

Almost no IQ.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Makes sense. Rift is supposedly heavily subsidized. Oculus and Facebook are playing the long game and are able to take a hit introducing the technology to consumers. For Sony it doesn't make sense to do so. They don't have as much cash and PS4 is already halfway through it's life cycle.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@nyadc said:

It feels like this is being intentionally ignored, I wonder why.

because as usual it's just you jumping the gun, it's a placeholder price and is in no way confirmed as the actual price for the PS VR. Now is this was the confirmed price then yes, everyone should and would be going absolutely insane but this is just you seeing a placeholder and acting like a smug douche.

If it's $800 then you're off your head if you even consider buying this thing but if it's ALOT less than that then no big deal.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/01/07/playstation-vr-listed-for-800-on-amazon-canada-pre-order-page/

Update: Sony has gotten back to me with a comment – “This was an error by Amazon, we haven’t announced price for PlayStation VR.” They also reiterate that PS VR is still scheduled to be released in the first half of 2016. Since publishing, the Canadian listing page has been revised to not show the price or release date.

There you have it, just the usual jumping the gun

/thread

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@nyadc:

$800 seems high for the ps4 market that sony has hit. $800, if true, might be a ps4/vr bundle price.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I honestly believe that PSVR would fail miserably even if it's $100. I'm pretty sure Sony will be losing quite a bit on this venture.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I can't imagine it being so expensive, but I do believe it will cost a little more than people believe.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Maybe bundled price? PS4+VR? Still steep but maybe

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

PSVR will be $499. And that will be selling at a loss. But Sony, not Oculus or Vive, will be the face of VR to the average consumer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@casharmy said:

Maybe bundled price? PS4+VR? Still steep but maybe

I can see this being true.