PSP VS DS-- Which is the ultimate gaming handheld? Enter and decide for yourself

• 161 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
[QUOTE="O_OdazX_X"]

[QUOTE="Aqua-Vitae"]I'd go with the DS. Although, apparently the PSP is a man's gaming machine... :PPS3Compass

DS games are original, PSP mostly ports.

Aren't alot of DS games remakes or PORTS?

Yeah like Elite Beat Agents and Phoenix Wright. When PSP has Daxter, MGS portable ops, pro evo 5, Burnout....
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
[QUOTE="PS3Compass"][QUOTE="O_OdazX_X"]

[QUOTE="Aqua-Vitae"]I'd go with the DS. Although, apparently the PSP is a man's gaming machine... :Phongkingkong

DS games are original, PSP mostly ports.

Aren't alot of DS games remakes or PORTS?

Yeah like Elite Beat Agents and Phoenix Wright. When PSP has Daxter, MGS portable ops, pro evo 5, Burnout....

WOW.
What a poor example you just gave. Two games? That hardly says anything.
MacaroniMoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 MacaroniMoses
Member since 2003 • 682 Posts
Being an owner of both, I have to say I enjoy my PSP and it's games more.
Avatar image for deactivated-59603ff9b9423
deactivated-59603ff9b9423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-59603ff9b9423
Member since 2007 • 2413 Posts

[QUOTE="PS3Compass"]

PSP = better graphics, better online, can do loads of stuff the DS can't. It alsohas better games in my opinion. 8)

DS = fancy stylus and teh touch screen. Plus it has tons of puzzle games. :|

Caviglia

Is that supposed to be a downside? Meteos, Puzzle League, Picross, Tetris, Puzzle Quest, Polarium, Pokemon Link. Pure bliss for a puzzle fan like myself.

No.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="Lazy_Boy88"]PSP is the ultimate handheld console and DS is the ultimate Gameboy. There you go. Everyone satisfied?JLuke360

no, PSP is a sucky MP3 player :P

but really DS is betteR :|

Atleast it can play MP3's, you can keep your MIDI audio.

If I want a MP3 player, I will buy one. When I buy a handheld, thats all I buy it for (games). I want to watch a movie, I watch TV, I want to surf the web, I hope on my PC. I would rather have better gameplay that to buy something to get what I already have (movie player, music, and web). Plus all the ports sure doesn't help the PSP. I mean I already have a PS2 and gamecube.
Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts
The DS better games that I like
qewrewq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 qewrewq
Member since 2004 • 1274 Posts
[QUOTE="JLuke360"]

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="Lazy_Boy88"]PSP is the ultimate handheld console and DS is the ultimate Gameboy. There you go. Everyone satisfied?l-_-l

If I want a MP3 player, I will buy one. When I buy a handheld, thats all I buy it for (games). I want to watch a movie, I watch TV, I want to surf the web, I hope on my PC. I would rather have better gameplay that to buy something to get what I already have (movie player, music, and web). Plus all the ports sure doesn't help the PSP. I mean I already have a PS2 and gamecube.

Exactly, buying a gaming handheld for anything else other than games is just stupid, which is exactly why I bought a PSP. And about that last part....ports? Yeah ports don't help the PSP, but what about all the great exclusives its got? Are DS fanboys still living under a rock? I mean the "lolz psp ports" thing was ok back in 2005, but it's 2007 now, time to open your eyes.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I don't see one as being above the other right now. Both are good systems , just not great systems. The PSP could benefit from more unique games and the DS just needs more great games.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="PS3Compass"]

PSP = better graphics, better online, can do loads of stuff the DS can't. It alsohas better games in my opinion. 8)

DS = fancy stylus and teh touch screen. Plus it has tons of puzzle games. :|

Caviglia

Is that supposed to be a downside? Meteos, Puzzle League, Picross, Tetris, Puzzle Quest, Polarium, Pokemon Link. Pure bliss for a puzzle fan like myself.

Yea that was a silly comment on his behalf, as the PSP also has a huge catalouge of Puzzle games......... How the hell is a disadvantage? :P

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 l-_-l
The DS. I thought this was settled. SaintBlaze
It was, the TC is just late to the party.
WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

The ds by a land slide. I played the psp and loco roco is a loco joko. Zelda is coming. More great games are coming. And it sells more than any non-nintendo system put together ever month this year.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 l-_-l
[QUOTE="l-_-l"][QUOTE="JLuke360"]

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="Lazy_Boy88"]PSP is the ultimate handheld console and DS is the ultimate Gameboy. There you go. Everyone satisfied?qewrewq

Exactly, buying a gaming handheld for anything else other than games is just stupid, which is exactly why I bought a PSP. And about that last part....ports? Yeah ports don't help the PSP, but what about all the great exclusives its got? Are DS fanboys still living under a rock? I mean the "lolz psp ports" thing was ok back in 2005, but it's 2007 now, time to open your eyes.

Sorry, but it still gets ports, so deal with it. And as for exclusives, I haven't seen anything yet that screamed buy a PSP.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 skrat_01

The ds by a land slide. I played the psp and loco roco is a loco joko. Zelda is coming. More great games are coming. And it sells more than any non-nintendo system put together ever month this year.

WllDan7

/\ Not a scerric of bias here people :roll:

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#64 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
this war is over. the DS won.
qewrewq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 qewrewq
Member since 2004 • 1274 Posts
[QUOTE="qewrewq"][QUOTE="l-_-l"][QUOTE="JLuke360"]

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="Lazy_Boy88"]PSP is the ultimate handheld console and DS is the ultimate Gameboy. There you go. Everyone satisfied?l-_-l

Sorry, but it still gets ports, so deal with it. And as for exclusives, I haven't seen anything yet that screamed buy a PSP.

Fair enough, and I still haven't seen anything that screams "buy a DS", not even close.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 skrat_01

Sorry, but it still gets ports, so deal with it. And as for exclusives, I haven't seen anything yet that screamed buy a PSP.l-_-l
Sure the PSP does get ports.... Though defiantly less than at launch. I could compare PSP ports to the large sum of awful titles released on DS that are aimed at a casual kids audience.

As for exclusives, I can say the same about the DS, in what you say about the PSP. That is simply opinion.

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts
This thread is lacking bulletmath or Northlandman. How could you possibly have a handheld discussion without them?
deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deviates1080
Member since 2006 • 1926 Posts

DS. It has all the classicsin new forms that I want to play like Mario, Kirby, Metroid etc, as well as the wierd (but great ) games like Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center. I prefer the varied gaming experience the DS gives rather than feeling like I'm playing worse versions of console games. (In comparison, and not just talking about the ports)

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 skrat_01

I dont see how people persist with the PSP not having a variety of games - or original games.

CRUSH alone, is even more original and unique then nearly every DS game...

deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deviates1080

I dont see how people persist with the PSP not having a variety of games - or original games.

skrat_01

Crush is more unique? How can anything be more unique? Either it is unique, or it isn't.

dem0truk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 dem0truk
Member since 2003 • 243 Posts

PSP has a more narrow audience. The games on the PSP do very little to break the mold, you're neither going to get the extreme widespread appeal that you'd get with Brain Training, Nintendogs, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Pokemon, Mario Bros, Elite Beat Agents etc., nor will you get the little niche titles because it doesn't have a large enough userbase. So you'll always get middle of the ground titles in terms of width of appeal. But please, don't misunderstand me, that doesn't mean the games themselves aren't excellent. The PSP game scores speak for themselves, it's just that it's harder to expect alot of people to be enthused about them.

The other advantage the DS has is it's general design philosophy. The DS touch screen interface makes things possible that aren't on any other system(bar the uber expensive i-phone) and provides a mouse style interface that no other console can achieve, the fact that it closes over to protect the screens, the battery life and loading times, the accesible prices of hardware and software. all these little things that make sense for a handheld.

I think what people should be realising now is that people who prioritise graphics over other strengths are becoming the minority.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

deviates1080

Crush is more unique? How can anything be more unique? Either it is unique, or it isn't.

Ya fair enough you have got me there.

Somthing that is more original than CRUSH - I should say.

deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deviates1080
[QUOTE="deviates1080"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

skrat_01

Something that is more original than CRUSH - I should say.

hehe, I did enjoy Crush when I played across a few lunch breaks at work, and I won't deny that the game has some original touches. But how many other games can you argue that for? I'm sure Loco Roco will be mentioned, but how many others. The design of the DS with the microphone and touchscreen encourages developers to be original.

deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deviates1080

Anybody who plays DS is gay and childishArcher2551

Lol, nice GTA avatar. How's puberty treating ya?

smackbang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 smackbang
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Anybody who plays DS is gay and childishArcher2551

:lol: For your sake I hope thats sarcasm young man.

Archer2551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#77 Archer2551
Member since 2007 • 567 Posts
Ok ok ok.
StrifeXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 StrifeXIII
Member since 2004 • 1197 Posts
Everyone knows PSP has the better games :|
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="deviates1080"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

deviates1080

hehe, I did enjoy Crush when I played across a few lunch breaks at work, and I won't deny that the game has some original touches. But how many other games can you argue that for? I'm sure Loco Roco will be mentioned, but how many others. The design of the DS with the microphone and touchscreen encourages developers to be original.

True but the PSP has plenty of hardware capabilities encouranging original development. Aside from the obvius advantages, games like MGS:PO actually make use of Wifi acess points - encouraging gamers to wander around with their PSPs, and intergrates GPS.

And also, the use of traditional controls also means that the devloper, and can focus around original software - the concecpt and idea - pushing the traditional boundries, moreover a game that works around the controls itself. Hovery most DS games have yet to use the touch screen + mic for purposes other than a simple control input (im speaking very generally).

Probably the biggest problem with the PSP is the lack of original concepts. However there are plenty of original IPs, but most do not push the boundries of originality - rather sticking with solid formulas. Never the less Dead Head Fred is apparantly an awesome game, as is Jeane D'Arc.

And Archer2551 is a fool. Its people like him who diminish my valid reasons of the PSP being a great system, by making such dumb comments - and become the poster boys of the system.

Then again with 10 posts should I even be surprised.

Archer2551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Archer2551
Yep PSP has better games
Archer2551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Archer2551
I dont mean disrespect for the DS okay. I take back what i said if it makes u happy. And by the wayI have more respect in Nintendo than I have in Microsoft
moon_1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 moon_1990
Member since 2006 • 81 Posts

dude psp is the best.i mean it can do literally eyerything.even watching movies.its better than the ipod and it has great games the only problem is its size and weight which will not matter since psp slim is coming out.who had thought you could play gta (in 3d) on the go??just one thing, BRING ON GOD OF WAR:CHAINS OF OLYMPUS!!!!!!

deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deviates1080
[QUOTE="deviates1080"][QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="deviates1080"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

skrat_01

True but the PSP has plenty of hardware capabilities encouranging original development. Aside from the obvius advantages, games like MGS:PO actually make use of Wifi acess points - encouraging gamers to wander around with their PSPs, and intergrates GPS.

And also, the use of traditional controls also means that the devloper, and can focus around original software - the concecpt and idea - pushing the traditional boundries, moreover a game that works around the controls itself. Hovery most DS games have yet to use the touch screen + mic for purposes other than a simple control input (im speaking very generally).

Probably the biggest problem with the PSP is the lack of original concepts. However there are plenty of original IPs, but most do not push the boundries of originality - rather sticking with solid formulas. Never the less Dead Head Fred is apparantly an awesome game, as is Jeane D'Arc.

And Archer2551 is a fool. Its people like him who diminish my valid reasons of the PSP being a great system, by making such dumb comments - and become the poster boys of the system.

Then again with 10 posts should I even be surprised.

The difference between the two, which I tried to explain was that having two screens, a touchscreen a microphone etc as key elements of the system mean that developers are forced somewhat to develop games that incorporate these. Yes some make very little use of them such as the 'new' super mario bros. But others like Elite Beat Agents base their entire gameplay around them. This allows the DS to differ its gameplay hugely from current and older consoles. The PSP however does not other much that can't be reproduced on a console. The fact that the DS has succeeded to appeal to such a wide audience has created the sales gap between the two, and this can be partially attributed to the innovations mentioned before.

Inevitabley with all X vs Y threads it comes down to personal preference, which ever handheld has the games that appeal to you most go for that.

Hehe, yes Archer is a fool and his comments are completely ignored. With that number of posts he could be a NDS fanboy being an idiot, you know what people are like on here.

SkyRaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 SkyRaid
Member since 2004 • 2001 Posts
Need PsP for Crisis Core and Star Ocean remakes.

But the DS is solid too.
deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deviates1080

dude psp is the best.i mean it can do literally eyerything.even watching movies.its better than the ipod and it has great games the only problem is its size and weight which will not matter since psp slim is coming out.who had thought you could play gta (in 3d) on the go??just one thing, BRING ON GOD OF WAR:CHAINS OF OLYMPUS!!!!!!

moon_1990

Wow, where to start? PSP better than an IPOD? The Ipod is a dedicated movie/music player that out performs the PSP and comes with a huge in built memory. Therefore any comparison is pointless. Secondly, the topic refers to the 'ultimate gaming handheld' which at the end of the day comes down to *shock* games. That makes your argument pretty ineffective.

GravisMors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 GravisMors
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

PSP mainly because of homebrew.

ds is cool if i wanna play brainage or hang out w/ my 7 year old cousin.

bulletmath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 bulletmath
Member since 2007 • 1339 Posts
The PSP list of Failure

Bad Multimedia
- more than twice as big as the ipod
- terrible software
- Memory stick required

Bad Games
- Most high rated games ports or multiplatform titleS
- Worse third party support than the DS
-Worse first party support than the DS
-losing support every day

Bad hardware
- 3 hour battery life
- load times
- The Square button sticks and is unresponsive
- UMD Drive is obnoxiously loud
- stiff unresponsive D-PAd
- Analogue nub
- useless wifi switch

Bad Redesign
-looks exactly the same as the original
- negligible difference in battery life
mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 mahjustin
Member since 2005 • 824 Posts

I don't know why games based off of consoles is necessarily bad for a handheld...

The DS has it's console game counterparts:

- Cooking Mama
- Brain Age
- Trauma Center
- Mario Party
- Mario Kart
- Yoshi's Island
- New Super Mario Bros
- Castlevania games
- Metroid Prime games
- Animal Crossing
- Super Mario 64
- Resident Evil
- Final Fantasy
- Contra
- Dragon Quest games
- Sonic games
- etc.

I mean, the question becomes, just because the game is on the DS and a similar game is on a console, does the same argument apply? Everyone seems to think Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops is a "port" (something I will never understand). Yeah sure, simlar gameplay mechanics, but a completely new game.

Is anyone calling MGS4 a port? Is it bad that an XBOX live arcade game on a console (Geometry Wars) is coming to the DS? This whole "portable PS2" argument is such BS, and anyone who thinks this that this is a valid argument is a hypocrite, because the DS is just as guilty.

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 agentfred

The PSP list of Failure

Bad Multimedia
- more than twice as big as the ipod About the same size as the ds
- terrible software Better than the ds's -gamespot
- Memory stick required And the ds?

Bad Games
- Most high rated games ports or multiplatform titleS I'm not going to go over this again, but your still wrong.

- Worse third party support than the DS Not true.
-Worse first party support than the DS Gow, SF, Daxter etc.

-losing support every day Ok...

Bad hardware
- 3 hour battery life Where did you get that? My psp has 8-10
- load times Are fine
- The Square button sticks and is unresponsive For some people, and some ds owners had broken hinges too.

- UMD Drive is obnoxiously loud Not mine
- stiff unresponsive D-PAd I've never even heard this complaint before.
- Analogue nub is better than no nub at all.
- useless wifi switch Are you saying wifi is useless or the switch?

-Bad Redesign Right, because the ds light was so great.

-looks exactly the same as the original Just smaller, sound familiar?

- negligible difference in battery life Unless you use an old battery, and get considerably more battery life.bulletmath

There he is.

funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#90 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts
Can I vote for both?
mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 mahjustin

The PSP list of Failure

Bad Multimedia
- more than twice as big as the ipod (also screen size is twice as big, can't complain)
- terrible software (matter of opinion)
- Memory stick required (not necessarily true, you can stream some multimedia via RSS if you have a server set up)

Bad Games
- Most high rated games ports or multiplatform titleS ("most" is a complete exaggeration)
- Worse third party support than the DS
-Worse first party support than the DS
-losing support every day
(PSP games are more indepth, therefore longer development times = longer for games to come out. DS games are mostly like games you've played on SNES or N64, easy to develop for since there's not much to it. You'll notice that all the indepth games for the DS take longer to pump out (look at Metroid or Zelda:PHG))

Bad hardware
- 3 hour battery life (depends on what you use it for, this is only one extreme, the battery can potentially last over 10 hours depending on what you use it for, and now with the PSP slim, battery life is probably about 50-100% longer depending on which battery you use)
- load times (sometimes, sometimes not)
- The Square button sticks and is unresponsive (old problem fixed looooong time ago)
- UMD Drive is obnoxiously loud (are you just coming up with excuses? it's pretty quiet)
- stiff unresponsive D-PAd (agree)
- Analogue nub (it works, you may get sore using it, but the same goes for using the stylus for an extended period of time)
- useless wifi switch (why?)

Bad Redesign
-looks exactly the same as the original (many have reported liking the new one over the old)
- negligible difference in battery life (again, depends on the battery you're using)

bulletmath

mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mahjustin

Gonna play devil's advocate, and use the same argumentative powers as BulletMath against the DS

DS list of failures:

Multimedia
- cannot play mp3 out of the box
- cannot view pictures out of the box
- cannot play videos out of the box
- cannot surf the internet without purchasing the crappy Opera Browser and extended the DS's limited amount of memory
- does not have RSS feeds for streaming/downloading content
- crappy dual screen is horrible for pictures/videos, both screens combined does not equal the resolution of the PSP

Games
- The DS has a tonne of non-games (I thought the DS was supposed to be a games machine, not a non-games machine), such as Nintendogs (puppy training), Brain Age (brain training), Brain Age 2, Observation Training, Face Training, English Training (Japan), more English Training (Japan), Common Sense Training (Japan), Listen! Write! Increase Vocabulary! Initial English Training (Japan), Reading Training (Japan), Detailed Japanese History B Total Training (Japan), Detailed World History B Total Training (Japan), Hajimete no Eigo Training (Japan), Point Blank Training (Japan), Detective Trainer, The Driver's Training Institute, Fast Reading Training, Baby Training, Sense of Pitch Training, TOEIC Test Training. All these training games have accounted for about 14 million copies sold on the DS in Japan, which is about 20% of all games sold.
- top DS games: Mario Kart, Advance Wars, Yoshi's Island, New Super Mario Bros, Mario & Luigi, Castlevania, Phoenix Wright, Metroid Prime, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Super Mario 64, Trauma Center, Cooking Mama, Warioware, all have gameplay which have come from other systems and consoles. Why play it on the DS when you can play a similar game on another system???
- graphics and sound in most part look like games from the SNES era.

Hardware
- not very ergonomic, hands get cramped with extended period of use
- touch screen is easily susceptible to scratching
- hinge is weak and the casing around the hinge breaks
- the touch pad screens are starting to fade or turn yellow on some DS lites
- the headset for the DS has been mostly useless, can be used in voice chat for Pokemon, but who's gonna be yelling "PIKACHU I CHOOSE YOU" while battling?!

In all seriousness, this is just a troll post, I have respect for the DS, but I also love my PSP.

BulletMath stop being such a hater.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

You do realize that Gamespot is the ONLY site that it's like this. On most other sites including Gamerankings the DS has more AAA's then the PSP and the PSP only has a few more *like 7-10* more AA's.

WOW.
What a poor example you just gave. Two games? That hardly says anything.DireToad

The only ports the DS has are Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Rayman 2, Phoenix Wright series, and Resident Evil. May sound like a lot but it's a far cry towards the PSP.

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts

You do realize that Gamespot is the ONLY site that it's like this. On most other sites including Gamerankings the DS has more AAA's then the PSP and the PSP only has a few more *like 7-10* more AA's. Gunraidan

I'd rather have 10+ more AA games than just a tiny few more AAA titles :|.

Face it the PSP just has the better games ;)

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 agentfred

You do realize that Gamespot is the ONLY site that it's like this. On most other sites including Gamerankings the DS has more AAA's then the PSP and the PSP only has a few more *like 7-10* more AA's.

Gunraidan

I hate to repeat the party line, but you know your posting on gamespot forums right? Either way, ds has one possibly two more AAA's, and the psp has a dozen or more AA's. Thats hardly enough to say that DS>PSP, in fact, I would argue that still means PSP>DS.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Gunraidan

I'm sorry but this has to be the worst attempt to own someone ever.

Gonna play devil's advocate, and use the same argumentative powers as BulletMath against the DS

DS list of failures:

Multimedia
- cannot play mp3 out of the box It's a GAMING system
- cannot view pictures out of the box It's a GAMING system
- cannot play videos out of the box It's a GAMING system
- cannot surf the internet without purchasing the crappy Opera Browser and extended the DS's limited amount of memory It's a GAMING system
- does not have RSS feeds for streaming/downloading content It's a GAMING system
- crappy dual screen is horrible for pictures/videos, both screens combined does not equal the resolution of the PSP WTF you just said that it can't view pictures or videos why does the dual screen matter if you can't get them in the first place :lol:

Games
- The DS has a tonne of non-games (I thought the DS was supposed to be a games machine, not a non-games machine), such as Nintendogs (puppy training), Brain Age (brain training), Brain Age 2, Observation Training, Face Training, English Training (Japan), more English Training (Japan), Common Sense Training (Japan), Listen! Write! Increase Vocabulary! Initial English Training (Japan), Reading Training (Japan), Detailed Japanese History B Total Training (Japan), Detailed World History B Total Training (Japan), Hajimete no Eigo Training (Japan), Point Blank Training (Japan), Detective Trainer, The Driver's Training Institute, Fast Reading Training, Baby Training, Sense of Pitch Training, TOEIC Test Training. All these training games have accounted for about 14 million copies sold on the DS in Japan, which is about 20% of all games sold.

Wow that's so much, that's equal to the 360's shooters.

- top DS games: Mario Kart, Advance Wars, Yoshi's Island, New Super Mario Bros, Mario & Luigi, Castlevania, Phoenix Wright, Metroid Prime, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Super Mario 64, Trauma Center, Cooking Mama, Warioware, all have gameplay which have come from other systems and consoles. Why play it on the DS when you can play a similar game on another system???

:lol:Those aren't the top DS games, well some are but you forgot to list so many titles *Etrian Odyessy and Hotel Dusk are some* also you can't get Poke'mon, Yoshi's Island, New Super Mario Bros., Castlevania *unless you wanna pull out your old PSX*, Advanced Wars, and Phoenix Wright on another system. Plus many of those games such as Castlevania, Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart are said to be the best in the series handheld or otherwise. Finally a PSP fan stating that a platform is useless because you can get it better on another console? :lol:

- graphics and sound in most part look like games from the SNES era. :lol: Yes because the SNES could run 3D textures.

Hardware
- not very ergonomic, hands get cramped with extended period of use True
- touch screen is easily susceptible to scratching Obviously you don't own one, I've never scratched mine.
- hinge is weak and the casing around the hinge breaks Okay you really don't own one, those hinges are like the jaws of life you can try to pull them apart and they won't break
- the touch pad screens are starting to fade or turn yellow on some DS lites No it doesn't.
- the headset for the DS has been mostly useless, can be used in voice chat for Pokemon, but who's gonna be yelling "PIKACHU I CHOOSE YOU" while battling?! MPH'S? But I agree with this statement.

In all seriousness, this is just a troll post, I have respect for the DS, but I also love my PSP.

mahjustin

Just pathetic.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Gunraidan
[QUOTE="Gunraidan"]

agentfred

I've said the DS>PSP when did I say this? I just said that GS under-rates the DS and over-rates the PSP.

I hate to repeat the party line, but you know your posting on gamespot forums right? Either way, ds has one possibly two more AAA's, and the psp has a dozen or more AA's. Thats hardly enough to say that DS>PSP, in fact, I would argue that still means PSP>DS.

Since nobody did a decent comeback here let me do one.

DS list of failures:

Multimedia
- dual screen doesn't have that great of resolution

- wireless local play doesn't reach far enough at times

- friends codes = fail

Games

- few games that effectively use the touch screen to expand on traditional gaming *especially shooters*

- a fair share amount of good games don't make it from Japan

- not too much serious Western support

- few mature themed games

Hardware
- not very ergonomic, hands get cramped with extended period of use
- the "L" button gets weak

- dpad is too small

0bscurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 0bscurity
Member since 2005 • 836 Posts
I prefer PSP much more for the games.
mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 mahjustin

I'm sorry but this has to be the worst attempt to own someone ever.

[QUOTE="mahjustin"]

Gunraidan

Just pathetic.

Exactly my point. I copied Bulletmath's logic, which of course, was also a sad and pathetic argument for owning the PSP.

You're even more pathetic for not understanding whatI was doing.

arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 arinya
Member since 2006 • 1054 Posts
Hasn't this already been settled....several times? The DS wins. The PSP can't play like the DS does. It's a more interactive experience.