PSP to get Skype functionality?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mahjustin
Member since 2005 • 824 Posts

Wow the PSP keeps getting better!

From http://pspupdates.qj.net/Skype-functionality-coming-to-the-PSP-/pg/49/aid/82280

You might think I've gone bonkers. But bear with me here, I'm not kidding. A lucky find by my friend MaTiAz seems to point towards some form of VoIP functionality in upcoming firmwares. This reference to Skype is hidden in the decrypted version of vshmain.prx from Firmware 3.10, basically the latest firmware if you don't count 3.11. Nobody has yet checked the presence of its reference in the latest firmware (3.11) but it's most probably there since not much has changed between the two firmwares.

Anyways, I did get a look at the decrypted version of the prx and as expected, this string pointing to a non-existing prx was present. To save you guys the hassle of having to do it yourselves, I've taken a screenshot which shows the same. If you're interested in finding it yourself, the reference is present as a string at offset 0x000344C4 in the decrypted vshmain.prx.

Checking the dump, there was no actual PRX by that name which means that the actual functionality is still being worked upon at this stage. And I don't think anyone's bluffing either. There have already been cases of Camera, GPS, and POPS PRXes being in the firmware long before the functionality was opened up. In the case of Camera and GPS, references can be found as far back as Firmware 2.70. POPS references were found in Firmware 2.80 dumps

The hardware in the PSP is good enough to handle the extra additions and the feature set of the Mylo was pretty much a subset of what you found on the PSP, plus a few additions. As for the firmware features, my opinion is that you should see some of the Skype functionality coming out in Firmware 3.50 or thereabouts. This would give Sony at least a couple of months to fine-tune everything and integrate it with the rest of the stuff already there. Stay tuned, we will have the latest on this as soon as we know more! A big thanks to MaTiAz for telling me about this find!

nanomecha4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nanomecha4
Member since 2007 • 458 Posts
PSP is gonna start kicking DS ass in 2007. Castlevania PSP God of War PSP ftw. SKYPE? PSP gonna eat market share fast.

SKYPE is like turning PSP into a phone.
samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts
PSP is gonna start kicking DS ass in 2007. Castlevania PSP God of War PSP ftw.nanomecha4
is there a god of war psp?
jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 jdknight21
Member since 2006 • 3282 Posts
PSP is gonna start kicking DS ass in 2007. Castlevania PSP God of War PSP ftw.nanomecha4
LOL.  DS already has good Castlevania's.  Those 2 games will help out the PSP, but you are saying a handheld that is still selling out is going to get beat in '07 by the PSP that seems content with staying $70 more expensive and has a weaker word of mouth.
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
what about the many games on the DS? youre getting a castlevania remake for god sakes.
yermomsboxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 yermomsboxx
Member since 2005 • 6348 Posts
What is Skype?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Wrong. Disastrously wrong. There's a God of War for the PSP?
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
What is Skype?yermomsboxx
It's a program you can call people on. So pretty much it'll be like a mobile phone seeing as no body has those. :roll:
mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mahjustin
[QUOTE="nanomecha4"]PSP is gonna start kicking DS ass in 2007. Castlevania PSP God of War PSP ftw.Jandurin
Wrong. Disastrously wrong. There's a God of War for the PSP?

yeah, read my earlier post....
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25367561
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
[QUOTE="yermomsboxx"]What is Skype?darklord888
It's a program you can call people on. So pretty much it'll be like a mobile phone seeing as no body has those. :roll:

Skype is now free completly, unlike a phone.
mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mahjustin
What is Skype?yermomsboxx
It's pretty similar to VoIP (Voice Over IP) You can call other skype users to chat, or you can potential dial land lines. it's like having a phone that connects to the internet to make calls.
yermomsboxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yermomsboxx
Member since 2005 • 6348 Posts
[QUOTE="yermomsboxx"]What is Skype?mahjustin
It's pretty similar to VoIP (Voice Over IP) You can call other skype users to chat, or you can potential dial land lines. it's like having a phone that connects to the internet to make calls.

That's really cool.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="yermomsboxx"]What is Skype?cobrax25

No it's not. Where did you read this?
nytrospawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nytrospawn
Member since 2003 • 3962 Posts
So, to use Skype youll have to get the Skype branded headset? Then what? Youre gonna talk to people who have Skype, when you could just use your Cell?
jaycouvera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jaycouvera
Member since 2003 • 280 Posts
[QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="yermomsboxx"]What is Skype?darklord888

No it's not. Where did you read this?

Second. Skype is not free for outgoing calls to landlines. But it is free for skype to skype.
RoboticZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RoboticZombie
Member since 2006 • 370 Posts
while this might be cool, it wouldn't be to practical considering there aren't many 'wifi hotspots' avaliable. where would you use it? i can see all the posibilities this would bring though. 
jaycouvera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jaycouvera
Member since 2003 • 280 Posts
No, you can use any headset. I use skypeout service and I'm using my bluetooth headset, crystal clear calls for me. You can call anywhere in the world using skype but its not free. Its basically voip except its a softphone.
mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mahjustin
So, to use Skype youll have to get the Skype branded headset? Then what? Youre gonna talk to people who have Skype, when you could just use your Cell?nytrospawn
The advantage of Skype to Skype calls is that long distance is free.