PSN outtage- perils of gaming on a closed system

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shane_orija
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts

Something like this wouldn't have happened on a pc.

opinions?

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

My opinion is that **** with entitlement issues are adamant in ruining it for everyone else for the sake of their owndiminished egos.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

opinions?

shane_orija
A games dedicated servers would never be taken down? Can't see that ever happening.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It makes some games useless to play, so you know I don't like it.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
Good thing I don't game primarily on the PS3 or else I would be pissed. ;)
Velocity439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Velocity439
Member since 2010 • 30 Posts

i heard that it was hacked and ow playstation has to completely rebuild their online and add more security to stop it happening again

shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shane_orija
If we forget the inconvenience faced by consumers, it was a wise move by Sony. This has effectively turned the general populace against the Anonymous guys for messing with their entertainment.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

i heard that it was hacked and ow playstation has to completely rebuild their online and add more security to stop it happening again

Velocity439
Some people who have more time on their hands than it's healthy are going to break it down again...
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shane_orija
[QUOTE="Velocity439"]

Salt_The_Fries
Some people who have more time on their hands than it's healthy are going to break it down again...

It doesn't really require a lot of effort if you have the numbers.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#10 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Never heard of Viruses? Malware? Trojins?

Never Happens to PCs my bum.

Pokemaster1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pokemaster1337
Member since 2009 • 239 Posts

When you play game like DotA there are many options where to play, not just one.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

LegatoSkyheart
Avast home edition+Malwarebytes free version+Web of Trust+Script blocker+Common sense==No viruses. And besides,viruses don't stop you from playing games.
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shane_orija
[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

call_of_duty_10
Avast home edition+Malwarebytes free version+Web of Trust+Script blocker+Common sense==No viruses. And besides,viruses don't stop you from playing games.

Nor do they affect every pc user simultaneously. Also, a virus results from the users' carelessness not corporate obnoxiousness.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jynxzor
Also, a virus results from the users' carelessness not corporate obnoxiousness.shane_orija
I don't even know what to say about this...urgh. Sony teh big bad evil guys strike again?
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#15 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
I wonder how many folks would be angry if WoW went offline. :P
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
I wonder how many folks would be angry if WoW went offline. :PStevo_the_gamer
WoW is only one game and it does every tuesday or something like that for updates.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jynxzor
I wonder how many folks would be angry if WoW went offline. :PStevo_the_gamer
Well to be technical it goes offline all the time when it gets patched...I'm sure all that downtime could add up to a few days over the course of the years.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

any one know of the recent amazon ECS downage causing for 100's of sites to go down including all whiskey media sites *giantbomb, tested, screened, animevice, comic vine*

TC PC's are as suspectable to hacking as Consoles are as they are as suspectable to problems caused by errors and glitches.

blitzcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blitzcloud
Member since 2007 • 1229 Posts

opinions?

shane_orija

You're a misinformed person. That's my opinion.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
If we forget the inconvenience faced by consumers, it was a wise move by Sony. This has effectively turned the general populace against the Anonymous guys for messing with their entertainment.shane_orija
General populace =/= gamers. It's also damaging for Sony among their primary consumers. This isn't 'smart' in any sense.

LegatoSkyheart
Not for four to five years for me, whoop. But hey if you keep clicking on the links in those emails filling up your junk inbox, then you're opening up the floodgates willingly.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 skrat_01

any one know of the recent amazon ECS downage causing for 100's of sites to go down including all whiskey media sites *giantbomb, tested, screened, animevice, comic vine*

TC PC's are as suspectable to hacking as Consoles are as they are as suspectable to problems caused by errors and glitches.

WilliamRLBaker

Anything connected to an online network is vulnerable to hacking. The difference here is that the PC doesn't, and will never rely on centralisation, so if one falls that doesn't mean everything will - for your games, websites, everything.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

opinions?

shane_orija

ever run a server on a PC? i have been an admin and helped out on an SAMP server, loads of people try DDOS servers when they get bans and you turn down appeals, which cause more baww.Also there was one time a script exploit let a few butthurt players run rampant till i got on RCON.

To say it wouldnt happen defys even the most silly system wars logic.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

skrat_01

Anything connected to an online network is vulnerable to hacking. The difference here is that the PC doesn't, and will never rely on centralisation, so if one falls that doesn't mean everything will - for your games, websites, everything.

If I go onto a hackers IRC and make a bold statement as hack me, do whatever you want you cant bring me down what will happen? OOOOOOO you mean my pc will become unsuable for....gaming,websites...everything.
If a bunch of hackers were pissed off at Battlefield 3 when it launched you can damn well be sure they will bring down the online component of BF3 with DDOS attacks. Don't claim PC's aren't centralized and are completely autonomy based in everything they do because they aren't there is a certain amount of centralization in even pc's they can be brought down, have been brought down and will continue to be brought down do not make such statements as anything connected to an online network is vulnrable to hacking then go onto say the PC has special circumstances Its very disingenous its a part of that every thing and depending on what hackers attack every thing will go down, specially since the psn service as a whole was actually taken down by Sony in response to outside interference not the outside interfence took down all of PSN.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

opinions?

shane_orija

I'll jog over to your place and pump your router full of lead!

Nah, but I'll email you a virus :P

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skrat_01

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

WilliamRLBaker

If I go onto a hackers IRC and make a bold statement as hack me, do whatever you want you cant bring me down what will happen? OOOOOOO you mean my pc will become unsuable for....gaming,websites...everything.
If a bunch of hackers were pissed off at Battlefield 3 when it launched you can damn well be sure they will bring down the online component of BF3 with DDOS attacks. Don't claim PC's aren't centralized and are completely autonomy based in everything they do because they aren't there is a certain amount of centralization in even pc's they can be brought down, have been brought down and will continue to be brought down do not make such statements as anything connected to an online network is vulnrable to hacking then go onto say the PC has special circumstances Its very disingenous its a part of that every thing and depending on what hackers attack every thing will go down, specially since the psn service as a whole was actually taken down by Sony in response to outside interference not the outside interfence took down all of PSN.

We're talking about online networks and infrastructure, not your own system :|

If you left an open invitation for hackers to make your life a misery on your console, they would take advantage of that too. That's what happens when you leave any system with an online connection out and proclaim 'come at me bro'.

Otherwise, yes that's one game bought down. There is an amount of centralisation of online networks (why you didn't choose to use steam as an example is beyond me), however it isn't reliant on a single consistent network to play.

My old online game isn't working, Westwood online doesn't exist anymore? Well glad to know I can use a variety of virtual lan clients to play my games with other people - like GameRanger. If Blizzard's Battlenet is down, then I can play separate online games with the knowledge they can't be affected. That's the fact of the matter, your PC gaming experience online isn't completely reliant on a central service.

While it can be compromised, this doesn't mean there will be an eventual Armageddon of your online games. Which is why you know, so many games have a legacy of online play on the PC for over a decade now despite their closed networks not existing. Sierra may not exist, I can play Tribes 2, MSN Gaming Zone abolished, well there are plenty of opportunities to play AoE2 online. EVE down for maintenance? Well then I have options of other online games to play, don't I.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
single player /thread this only affects multiplayer junkies.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
He is talking about all your games. If PSN/XBL is down, you wouldn't be able to pay ANY of your Multi-Player Games. Since PC's are open platforms, this wouldn't happen because most games use their own clients. So if one game is down, you can still play all your other games just fine. The only way one wouldn't be able to play any game online on PC is if, the whole internet crashed or got destroyed.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]single player /thread this only affects multiplayer junkies.

What if I don't want to play with myself? :P
momentum_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 momentum_god
Member since 2011 • 779 Posts

Velocity439
They don't have to, they are just improving security to prevent farther attacks the original attack isn't responsible for the entire downtime the upgrading is responsible for more
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

shane_orija

Nor do they affect every pc user simultaneously. Also, a virus results from the users' carelessness not corporate obnoxiousness.

Corporate obnoxiousness? They're fixing the FREE service for you, buddy. How is that obnoxious? The person who crippled the system to begin with - who would also like to remain anonymous - are the ones being obnoxious.
Medic_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Medic_B
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

Not really surprised it is a sony product.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I wonder how many folks would be angry if WoW went offline. :PDragonfireXZ95
WoW is only one game and it does every tuesday or something like that for updates.

People rage when they do extended maintenance though. The game only went offline twice ever without extended prior notice and people raged lol

OpticalCanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 OpticalCanine
Member since 2006 • 1938 Posts

i have a ps3 though i use it mainly for a blu ray player, and i havent been on system wars in YEARS. Seeing PSN was down on the news though made me laugh my ass off xD

blitzcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blitzcloud
Member since 2007 • 1229 Posts

I love how, after paying a large sum for a copy of a windows operative system, you discover it's so weak and full of exploits that you need to add external programs to prevent people/worms from infecting it. But a company fixing a free service so they can't do certain kind of attacks that would ultimately affect consumers is being a bad company

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#35 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

yeah that does suck; luckily, i'm in no mood to play killzone 3 and i'm playing gears 2 in preperation for gears 3 tomorrow :D

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
What about games that require me to sign into steam? I can't play quite a few games because steam pops up when i try to execute the game... Yeah Open Platform FTW! :roll: lol I don't mind the wait anyway as long as Steam is still active, people who have purposely limited themselves to one platform out of nothing more than fanboyism is where the real frustration lies... They must be livid! :lol:
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="Velocity439"]

momentum_god
They don't have to, they are just improving security to prevent farther attacks the original attack isn't responsible for the entire downtime the upgrading is responsible for more

Yeah they were compromised and decided to improve the security, i posted a few days ago that they probably increased their security so much Sony themselves couldn't connect but atleast they are on top of it, better this than "PSN is currently.. ah hell we are screwed, we don't know whats happening so we pulled the plug".
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

LegatoSkyheart

What Virus or Malware has shut down every online PC service and server for every PC game in the whole planet, making all PC users inable to play online for a week?

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#39 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

virus protecters arent enough

ftr , whats ur pc got to do with the servers on who ever makes the games side, huh ,

they are not immune ,

its crazy to think they are ,

no online services are immune! whether its pc wii 360 or appearently ps3

Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts
Long story short, PCs can't suddenly be disabled because a company got hacked.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts
If we forget the inconvenience faced by consumers, it was a wise move by Sony. This has effectively turned the general populace against the Anonymous guys for messing with their entertainment.shane_orija
That and people need to realize that their personal info is on those servers. So would you rather your info be on the net somewhere while you play on corrupted laggy servers? Or do you take a break for a week and play something else, like on a PC or xbox while sony ensure that your info is safe?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts
I also love how some people can't even play portal 2 since they need the newest mandatory firmware update. But hey! It's your gaming experience!
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mitu123

LegatoSkyheart
That's why we have programs to counter it, what does Sony have for the PS3? Oh wait...
TheSterls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheSterls
Member since 2009 • 3117 Posts

opinions?

shane_orija

On the pc you get to worry about other things , like your personal system getting hacked, Cheaters on Battlenet , gamespy and just about every other public service on the pc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts
I also love how some people can't even play portal 2 since they need the newest mandatory firmware update. But hey! It's your gaming experience!Robbazking
It's downloadable of the PS site. Nice to see you get thrills off others misfortunes.
TheSterls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheSterls
Member since 2009 • 3117 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

mitu123

That's why we have programs to counter it, what does Sony have for the PS3? Oh wait...

My PS3 has never had a virus nor has anyones. And it doesnt matter what kind of virus protection you have if someone wants to get into your system bad enough they will do so.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

TheSterls

My PS3 has never had a virus nor has anyones. And it doesnt matter what kind of virus protection you have if someone wants to get into your system bad enough they will do so.

Then they're trying too hard or not enough to get my system.D=
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

XBox Live has had outages. STEAM has had outages. MMORPGs have outages. PSN has outages.

If it plugs into the wall and connects to the world wide interbutts, it probably has had an outage.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Is PSN an integral part of PS3? Yes, it is. People have every right to complain about something that should never have happend in the first place and was not the fault of the consumer.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Is PSN an integral part of PS3? Yes, it is. People have every right to complain about something that should never have happend in the first place and was not the fault of the consumer.

rzepak

EXcept it was in a sense.