PS5 will support 4K 120hz (clickbaity). "Custom designed SSD".

  • 82 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for rzxv04
#1 Edited by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

https://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-playstation-ceo-wants-a-seamless-transition-to-its-next-generation-console/

In his conversation with CNET, Ryan said an SSD storage drive Sony custom-designed for the console will be offered as part of the default version. He also added that the device will offer ultra-high definition 4K visuals at 120Hz, which is twice the screen refresh rate of most TVs.

They've already mentioned 8K and most already speculated 8K/30FPS means it's likely hdmi 2.1 which can support 4K/120hz.

Native 120hz support would be great if the console implements performance modes, even if those might be mostly for older / last gen games.

Avatar image for npiet1
#2 Posted by npiet1 (2481 posts) -

This makes complete sense. It's not for the TV per se but for the PSVR headset which already runs at 120hz. So if the next gen headset if 4k at 120hz. It would make sense for the console to support it for the TV. I don't think that they will have much to run at those levels.

Avatar image for rzxv04
#3 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

This makes complete sense. It's not for the TV per se but for the PSVR headset which already runs at 120hz. So if the next gen headset if 4k at 120hz. It would make sense for the console to support it for the TV. I don't think that they will have much to run at those levels.

4k/120hz makes sense because I think it's considered that it will be common enough during the console's lifespan and it would be interesting if this tandems to mid-gen refreshes.

Avatar image for npiet1
#4 Posted by npiet1 (2481 posts) -

@rzxv04 said:
@npiet1 said:

This makes complete sense. It's not for the TV per se but for the PSVR headset which already runs at 120hz. So if the next gen headset if 4k at 120hz. It would make sense for the console to support it for the TV. I don't think that they will have much to run at those levels.

4k/120hz makes sense because I think it's considered that it will be common enough during the console's lifespan and it would be interesting if this tandems to mid-gen refreshes.

Some new games struggle to reach 4k at 60hz even if you have a beast of a PC, while this is a console and could make the difference I doubt it unless something get sacrificed.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#5 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3352 posts) -

Lol, no

Avatar image for rzxv04
#6 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

@npiet1 said:
@rzxv04 said:
@npiet1 said:

This makes complete sense. It's not for the TV per se but for the PSVR headset which already runs at 120hz. So if the next gen headset if 4k at 120hz. It would make sense for the console to support it for the TV. I don't think that they will have much to run at those levels.

4k/120hz makes sense because I think it's considered that it will be common enough during the console's lifespan and it would be interesting if this tandems to mid-gen refreshes.

Some new games struggle to reach 4k at 60hz even if you have a beast of a PC, while this is a console and could make the difference I doubt it unless something get sacrificed.

I think it'll be mostly for UI and media, same with 8K.

4K/120hz will be soon more common with mid-range TV specs.

I do not expect 4K native /120hz games but I can imagine 120hz support on certain performance modes if not just for making games feels smoother through 120hz vrr like Sekiro's 120hz mode on Xbox One X.

The best I can imagine for 120hz is for 7-8th gen games and resolutions (720-900-1080p) that might reach 120hz if devs patch for them specially for early cross-gen games.

Avatar image for rzxv04
#7 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

Makes me wonder at to what extent is the "SSD".. "custom". Like how console apus are more "slightly custom".

Avatar image for X_CAPCOM_X
#8 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8660 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

Lol, no

Explain.

Avatar image for ellos
#9 Posted by ellos (2058 posts) -

For f*** sake. How many times do they have to do this before gamers realize that they should always ignore these buzzwords. Espicially coming from Jim Ryan.

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#10 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

I can see it running older games and PSVR games at that framerate and resolution. Even the base PS4 runs VR games at 1080p/90-120Hz now, it's not a stretch to believe undemanding games on the vastly superior CPU and GPU of the PS5 will support 4Kish/120Hz especially VR games on the PS5. I don't expect it to run proper next gen games at that framerate however.

Avatar image for subspecies
#11 Edited by Subspecies (681 posts) -

PSVR is going to be so freaking awesome on the PS5.

I. Can't. Wait.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#12 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

Since most of the posters appear to be brand new at gaming, whose to say that PS5 won't play games like Katamaro Damacy or a racing title higher than 60fps?

Not every single game has got to be Uncharted or The Witcher. All they are talking about is the base capability of the console, and you guys are so quick to call BS with horse shit arguments.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#13 Edited by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

@rzxv04: If I were to hazard a guess, it will be like an m.2 / nvme drive with increased bandwidth due to having more pcie lanes dedicated to it since it's in an enclosed box.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#14 Posted by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

Both Vega II and Zen v2 supports Infinity Fabric interconnects hence CPU can directly connect to the GPU. One could assumes NAVI also supports Infinity Fabric interconnects.

GPU already has memory controllers.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3075196/amd-cray-supercomputer

In AMD/Cray's supercomputer, Zen CPU is connected to Vega II GPU via Infinity Fabric interconnects

Ungaro continued: "The new accelerator-centric compute blades will support a 4:1 GPU to CPU ratio with high-speed AMD Infinity Fabric links and coherent memory between them within the node.

Raven Ridge APU's CPU and GPU are also connected by Infinity Fabric links.

Small north-bridge I/O would be needed for any south-bridge functions and north-bridge driven storage solutions.

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#15 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@ronvalencia: Very interesting.

Do you see a scenario where 4K/120fps will be possible on older or less demanding games? I personally think it is possible.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#16 Edited by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:

@ronvalencia: Very interesting.

Do you see a scenario where 4K/120fps will be possible on older or less demanding games? I personally think it is possible.

Forza Motorsport 7 on Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz can play 8K ~60 hz without any "variable shader rate" and "rapid pack maths" usage.

NAVI 5700 beats Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz and Vega 64 AC.

Rendered graphics could look good when good artwork is pre-baked into textures, hence the focus on fast storage solution.

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#17 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@son-goku7523 said:

@ronvalencia: Very interesting.

Do you see a scenario where 4K/120fps will be possible on older or less demanding games? I personally think it is possible.

Forza Motorsport 7 on Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz can play 8K ~60 hz without any "variable shader rate" and "rapid pack maths" usage.

NAVI 5700 beats Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz and Vega 64 AC.

That's very impressive. I'm definitely looking forward to the Navi future on PS5.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#18 Edited by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@son-goku7523 said:

@ronvalencia: Very interesting.

Do you see a scenario where 4K/120fps will be possible on older or less demanding games? I personally think it is possible.

Forza Motorsport 7 on Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz can play 8K ~60 hz without any "variable shader rate" and "rapid pack maths" usage.

NAVI 5700 beats Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz and Vega 64 AC.

That's very impressive. I'm definitely looking forward to the Navi future on PS5.

PS5's progress is good, but NVIDIA has incoming monster GPUs.

Built on 7nm Samsung fabs.

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#19 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@son-goku7523 said:

@ronvalencia: Very interesting.

Do you see a scenario where 4K/120fps will be possible on older or less demanding games? I personally think it is possible.

Forza Motorsport 7 on Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz can play 8K ~60 hz without any "variable shader rate" and "rapid pack maths" usage.

NAVI 5700 beats Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz and Vega 64 AC.

That's very impressive. I'm definitely looking forward to the Navi future on PS5.

PS5's progress is good, but NVIDIA has incoming monster GPUs.

Built on 7nm Samsung fabs.

I'll be ready to buy Nvidia's cards too when I upgrade my PC in the near future 😎

Avatar image for rzxv04
#20 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@rzxv04: If I were to hazard a guess, it will be like an m.2 / nvme drive with increased bandwidth due to having more pcie lanes dedicated to it since it's in an enclosed box.

I'm not sure but I think that Zen 2 will have PCIE 4 that doubles bandwidths of lanes so I guess the "custom" part, if as you say, would be mostly due to being imbedded since PCIE 4 will have on desktops first if Zen 2 pc platform releases soon.

I wonder if it'd be more special than that. Doubt it'd be by much though.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#21 Posted by Howmakewood (5955 posts) -
@rzxv04 said:
@Shewgenja said:

@rzxv04: If I were to hazard a guess, it will be like an m.2 / nvme drive with increased bandwidth due to having more pcie lanes dedicated to it since it's in an enclosed box.

I'm not sure but I think that Zen 2 will have PCIE 4 that doubles bandwidths of lanes so I guess the "custom" part, if as you say, would be mostly due to being imbedded since PCIE 4 will have on desktops first if Zen 2 pc platform releases soon.

I wonder if it'd be more special than that. Doubt it'd be by much though.

you also double the bandwidth by doubling the pcie lane count, say you had ssd on x4 config and moved it to x8, it would have twice the available bandwidth

Avatar image for tdkmillsy
#22 Posted by tdkmillsy (3133 posts) -

Wonder if this custom SSD will be replaceable/upgradable with a bigger SSD?

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#23 Edited by PC_Rocks (2559 posts) -

Well only 15 years late with their promise of dual 1080p/120Hz.

Though you do need 120 or higher refresh rate to support VRR at low frame rates which most of the PS5 games will run at.

Custom SSD! Cool, Vita comes to mind! :D

Avatar image for rzxv04
#24 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

@howmakewood said:
@rzxv04 said:
@Shewgenja said:

@rzxv04: If I were to hazard a guess, it will be like an m.2 / nvme drive with increased bandwidth due to having more pcie lanes dedicated to it since it's in an enclosed box.

I'm not sure but I think that Zen 2 will have PCIE 4 that doubles bandwidths of lanes so I guess the "custom" part, if as you say, would be mostly due to being imbedded since PCIE 4 will have on desktops first if Zen 2 pc platform releases soon.

I wonder if it'd be more special than that. Doubt it'd be by much though.

you also double the bandwidth by doubling the pcie lane count, say you had ssd on x4 config and moved it to x8, it would have twice the available bandwidth

I guess it's possible since the entire APU and SSD are supposed to be "custom". I think that PCIE 4.0 x4 lanes would be great. x8 would be bonkers but I don't know if they're gonna go with that. I guess ultra high end nvme with low capacity and acts more as a cache doesn't seem impossible though.

Avatar image for tormentos
#25 Posted by tormentos (29236 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

Lol, no

I don't think this is for anything other than VR.

4k 60FPS will not be a thing in all games still let alone 120FPS.

@pc_rocks said:

Well only 15 years late with their promise of dual 1080p/120Hz.

Though you do need 120 or higher refresh rate to support VRR at low frame rates which most of the PS5 games will run at.

Custom SSD! Cool, Vita comes to mind! :D

They never promise that alt.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#26 Edited by PC_Rocks (2559 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@pc_rocks said:

Well only 15 years late with their promise of dual 1080p/120Hz.

Though you do need 120 or higher refresh rate to support VRR at low frame rates which most of the PS5 games will run at.

Custom SSD! Cool, Vita comes to mind! :D

They never promise that alt.

Yes they did, fraud! Oh and the mandatory reminder:

Again nobody, and when I say nobody I literally mean it, it's not just a figure of speech. Nobody cares who you think about people. Every single thread and post of yours in SW is a proof of that. All laughs at you and your hypocrisy. You call everyone lemming that criticizes your overlord Sony and points out the hypocrisy of cows. You have called me, Zaria, NoodleFighter, howmakewood, ghosts, dragonfire, goldenelement, mansieur, kalibird - lems when many of them only owns PS4 as a console not Xbone and some of them don't own any consoles for that matter. All of them are hermits. Hell I have seen you call lundy, ragnarok and even one mod lemming when they don't even after go Sony/PS4/cows as much as we do. As I said, it's just your excuse to get out of the criticism. I'm sure you just consider cows that have or had a PC - hermits like quackknight, randommatt etc. or people like davillain that are a fan of PS4 true hermits to make you feel better. Sorry tormentos, all the factions are sick and tired of cows bullsh*t, be it lems, hermits or sheep. All the threads in SW are the proof of that.

If anything you're a bigger lemming than the people I listed along with me. They are all consistent in their arguments while you - a hypocrite switches position in a heart beat. I can easily pull ton of your threads defending Xbone/MS against PC with us hermits when your only way of defending Sony was to defend the MS/Xbone when you in other threads you were hating the MS/Xbone with the same arguments we hermits put up. You're a hypocrite of a highest order. You hide behind Xbone/Switch when it fits your agenda to defend but Sony but in other instances have gone as far as hiding behind mobiles to attack Switch. You're a fraud!

Avatar image for tormentos
#27 Posted by tormentos (29236 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:

Yes they did, fraud! Oh and the mandatory reminder:

Again nobody, and when I say nobody I literally mean it, it's not just a figure of speech. Nobody cares who you think about people. Every single thread and post of yours in SW is a proof of that. All laughs at you and your hypocrisy. You call everyone lemming that criticizes your overlord Sony and points out the hypocrisy of cows. You have called me, Zaria, NoodleFighter, howmakewood, ghosts, dragonfire, goldenelement, mansieur, kalibird - lems when many of them only owns PS4 as a console not Xbone and some of them don't own any consoles for that matter. All of them are hermits. Hell I have seen you call lundy, ragnarok and even one mod lemming when they don't even after go Sony/PS4/cows as much as we do. As I said, it's just your excuse to get out of the criticism. I'm sure you just consider cows that have or had a PC - hermits like quackknight, randommatt etc. or people like davillain that are a fan of PS4 true hermits to make you feel better. Sorry tormentos, all the factions are sick and tired of cows bullsh*t, be it lems, hermits or sheep. All the threads in SW are the proof of that.

If anything you're a bigger lemming than the people I listed along with me. They are all consistent in their arguments while you - a hypocrite switches position in a heart beat. I can easily pull ton of your threads defending Xbone/MS against PC with us hermits when your only way of defending Sony was to defend the MS/Xbone when you in other threads you were hating the MS/Xbone with the same arguments we hermits put up. You're a hypocrite of a highest order. You hide behind Xbone/Switch when it fits your agenda to defend but Sony but in other instances have gone as far as hiding behind mobiles to attack Switch. You're a fraud!

Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi said he expects the PS3 to be capable of running games at a stunning 120fps, according to a report in The Nikkei BP.

From your own link where does that say all games will RUN at 120FPS?

In fact GPU of those era like the 6800ultra and X800XT could run game close to 100FPS in higher than 720p resolutions,so running a game at 120p wasn't unheard it just depended on the game.

So again alt where did sony claim all games will be 120FPS.

Ill wait for the link oh yeah you will not get one,i have debated that here to hell and beyond why do you think i told you they didn't promise that i know of that link before you and your other 10 alts joined this place. :)

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#28 Edited by PC_Rocks (2559 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@pc_rocks said:

Yes they did, fraud! Oh and the mandatory reminder:

Again nobody, and when I say nobody I literally mean it, it's not just a figure of speech. Nobody cares who you think about people. Every single thread and post of yours in SW is a proof of that. All laughs at you and your hypocrisy. You call everyone lemming that criticizes your overlord Sony and points out the hypocrisy of cows. You have called me, Zaria, NoodleFighter, howmakewood, ghosts, dragonfire, goldenelement, mansieur, kalibird - lems when many of them only owns PS4 as a console not Xbone and some of them don't own any consoles for that matter. All of them are hermits. Hell I have seen you call lundy, ragnarok and even one mod lemming when they don't even after go Sony/PS4/cows as much as we do. As I said, it's just your excuse to get out of the criticism. I'm sure you just consider cows that have or had a PC - hermits like quackknight, randommatt etc. or people like davillain that are a fan of PS4 true hermits to make you feel better. Sorry tormentos, all the factions are sick and tired of cows bullsh*t, be it lems, hermits or sheep. All the threads in SW are the proof of that.

If anything you're a bigger lemming than the people I listed along with me. They are all consistent in their arguments while you - a hypocrite switches position in a heart beat. I can easily pull ton of your threads defending Xbone/MS against PC with us hermits when your only way of defending Sony was to defend the MS/Xbone when you in other threads you were hating the MS/Xbone with the same arguments we hermits put up. You're a hypocrite of a highest order. You hide behind Xbone/Switch when it fits your agenda to defend but Sony but in other instances have gone as far as hiding behind mobiles to attack Switch. You're a fraud!

Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi said he expects the PS3 to be capable of running games at a stunning 120fps, according to a report in The Nikkei BP.

From your own link where does that say all games will RUN at 120FPS?

In fact GPU of those era like the 6800ultra and X800XT could run game close to 100FPS in higher than 720p resolutions,so running a game at 120p wasn't unheard it just depended on the game.

So again alt where did sony claim all games will be 120FPS.

Ill wait for the link oh yeah you will not get one,i have debated that here to hell and beyond why do you think i told you they didn't promise that i know of that link before you and your other 10 alts joined this place. :)

LMAO, this is your spin, fraud? Yeah he did. Let me help out an idiot like you here that don't have the mental capacity to understand the context or the simple thing is that 'expect' is the word GS used in their translation. Eurogamer used 'will' in theirs. The content and overall claim(lie) remains the same.

Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has claimed that the PlayStation 3 will run games at an unprecedented (and perhaps rather pointless) 120 frames per second.

Not just that he touted all sorts of rubbish.

Appearing at the Tokyo International Digital Conference on Thursday to talk about the technological capabilities of the PlayStation 3 and the Cell processor, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi said he expects the PS3 to be capable of running games at a stunning 120fps, according to a report in The Nikkei BP.

Never mind that even newer TVs aren't capable of refreshing the screen 120 times in a single second. Kutaragi said that when new technology comes to market, he hopes to have the PS3 ready to take advantage of it.

As for the Cell chip at the heart of the PS3, Kutaragi also had high hopes for its future beyond gaming. Using high-definition TV as an example, he said that the Cell chip could take advantage of the technology in many ways, such as displaying newspapers in their actual size, showing multiple high-definition channels on the screen at once, and video conferencing. He emphasized that the Cell can be used to decode more than 10 HDTV channels simultaneously, and it can also be used to apply effects such as rotating and zooming.

Later, he introduced the idea of a Cell cluster server that operates with 16 units, each consisting of eight Cell chips running at 2.5Ghz. That would be a total processing power of 25.6 teraflops. Kutaragi also outlined plans to shrink the chip from the current 90-nanometer process to a 65-nanometer process in the future and eventually down to a 45-nanometer process.

And yes, he didn't just said current(previous gen games because he specifically said that once TV's become available to support it i.e. future games). Remain butthurt that Sony has been lying since the PS2 days and your desperate attempt to put words in my mouth won't change anything. PS3 isn't capable of doing anything he mentioned, not a single game ran at 120FPS on PS3, let alone at 1080p while E3 2006 claim was:

As for the alt, let me just quote what I asked you to do and as always you ran with your tail between your legs since you're a fraud:

Okay then report me to mods and let's see what happens? Why don't you bet your account on it and see if I'm a lemming hiding behind an alt? Let's do it, fraud. Let's see if you have the guts or again chicken your way out as always.

You're a fraud and a flip flopper, always have been, always will be. You lie every time you type something.

I'm 100% sure, you will ignore that again but will be back with the same pathetic blame in the next thread.

Avatar image for Gatygun
#29 Posted by Gatygun (1564 posts) -

Pretty sure PS4 pro can also do 4k and 120hz.

Shit means nothing.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#30 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6486 posts) -

Trouble with 120Hz is that you need a beefy CPU and a 3GHz Zen CPU just doesn't cut it regardless of resolution... Also I don't see a developer bothering with this at all even if they could since most people don't have HDR compatible TV's let alone 120Hz TV's.

Its just a tech spec of the hardware involved has no connection with the actual capability of the hardware, its something to get hype if that. PS5 will be a 4K/30FPS console with some games at 60FPS if the developer targets it but most developers will target 30FPS because it gives them headroom to push the graphics further and because a Navi is 2060 & 2070 performance which is not enough for 60FPS for most games at 4K let alone 120Hz at anything above 1080P with a 3GHz AMD CPU.

Avatar image for drlostrib
#31 Posted by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -

Doesn't the X1/X already have 120hz support? Not that it gets used for much

Avatar image for Pedro
#32 Edited by Pedro (35486 posts) -

Reminds me of the PS3 promises. We all saw what happened to those claims.😉

EDIT: Meant PS3

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#33 Posted by Random_Matt (4294 posts) -
@son-goku7523 said:
@ronvalencia said:

PS5's progress is good, but NVIDIA has incoming monster GPUs.

@son-goku7523 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@son-goku7523 said:

@ronvalencia: Very interesting.

Do you see a scenario where 4K/120fps will be possible on older or less demanding games? I personally think it is possible.

Forza Motorsport 7 on Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz can play 8K ~60 hz without any "variable shader rate" and "rapid pack maths" usage.

NAVI 5700 beats Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz and Vega 64 AC.

That's very impressive. I'm definitely looking forward to the Navi future on PS5.

Built on 7nm Samsung fabs.

I'll be ready to buy Nvidia's cards too when I upgrade my PC in the near future 😎

Damn, and I was considering dumping a grand on a 2080 TI, guess I'll wait till next summer.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#34 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6486 posts) -

@Random_Matt said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@ronvalencia said:

PS5's progress is good, but NVIDIA has incoming monster GPUs.

@son-goku7523 said:
@ronvalencia said:

Forza Motorsport 7 on Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz can play 8K ~60 hz without any "variable shader rate" and "rapid pack maths" usage.

NAVI 5700 beats Vega 56 at ~1550 Mhz and Vega 64 AC.

That's very impressive. I'm definitely looking forward to the Navi future on PS5.

Built on 7nm Samsung fabs.

I'll be ready to buy Nvidia's cards too when I upgrade my PC in the near future 😎

Damn, and I was considering dumping a grand on a 2080 TI, guess I'll wait till next summer.

2080 Ti's are almost twice the price of a 2080 in the UK... Save your money and get that, the 2080 Ti makes the 2080 look like a bargain. You can get a Gigabyte 2080 Windforce for £629, overclock that thing to 2000MHz and you get 80% the performace of Ti for close to 1/2 price.

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#35 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@Random_Matt said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@ronvalencia said:

PS5's progress is good, but NVIDIA has incoming monster GPUs.

@son-goku7523 said:

That's very impressive. I'm definitely looking forward to the Navi future on PS5.

Built on 7nm Samsung fabs.

I'll be ready to buy Nvidia's cards too when I upgrade my PC in the near future 😎

Damn, and I was considering dumping a grand on a 2080 TI, guess I'll wait till next summer.

2080 Ti's are almost twice the price of a 2080 in the UK... Save your money and get that, the 2080 Ti makes the 2080 look like a bargain. You can get a Gigabyte 2080 Windforce for £629, overclock that thing to 2000MHz and you get 80% the performace of Ti for close to 1/2 price.

I'll probably get a 2080 unless Nvidia releases a better more value for money card. The 2080Ti is too overpriced for me at the moment.

Avatar image for calvincfb
#36 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

Nothing is funnier than seeing the PC gamers afraid of the PS5 LMFAO.

Avatar image for drlostrib
#37 Posted by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

Nothing is funnier than seeing the PC gamers afraid of the PS5 LMFAO.

why would they be afraid of it?

Avatar image for calvincfb
#38 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@drlostrib said:
@calvincfb said:

Nothing is funnier than seeing the PC gamers afraid of the PS5 LMFAO.

why would they be afraid of it?

Why indeed? Maybe you should read their posts, it reeks of desperation and fear. :)

Avatar image for drlostrib
#39 Posted by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -

@calvincfb said:
@drlostrib said:
@calvincfb said:

Nothing is funnier than seeing the PC gamers afraid of the PS5 LMFAO.

why would they be afraid of it?

Why indeed? Maybe you should read their posts, it reeks of desperation and fear. :)

over what?

Avatar image for tormentos
#40 Posted by tormentos (29236 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:

LMAO, this is your spin, fraud? Yeah he did. Let me help out an idiot like you here that don't have the mental capacity to understand the context or the simple thing is that 'expect' is the word GS used in their translation. Eurogamer used 'will' in theirs. The content and overall claim(lie) remains the same.

Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has claimed that the PlayStation 3 will run games at an unprecedented (and perhaps rather pointless) 120 frames per second.

Not just that he touted all sorts of rubbish.

Appearing at the Tokyo International Digital Conference on Thursday to talk about the technological capabilities of the PlayStation 3 and the Cell processor, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi said he expects the PS3 to be capable of running games at a stunning 120fps, according to a report in The Nikkei BP.

And yes, he didn't just said current(previous gen games because he specifically said that once TV's become available to support it i.e. future games). Remain butthurt that Sony has been lying since the PS2 days and your desperate attempt to put words in my mouth won't change anything. PS3 isn't capable of doing anything he mentioned, not a single game ran at 120FPS on PS3, let alone at 1080p while E3 2006 claim was:

As for the alt, let me just quote what I asked you to do and as always you ran with your tail between your legs since you're a fraud:

Okay then report me to mods and let's see what happens? Why don't you bet your account on it and see if I'm a lemming hiding behind an alt? Let's do it, fraud. Let's see if you have the guts or again chicken your way out as always.

You're a fraud and a flip flopper, always have been, always will be. You lie every time you type something.

I'm 100% sure, you will ignore that again but will be back with the same pathetic blame in the next thread.

Were did sony claim.

""All PS3 games will run at 120FPS and will support dual monitor""

Again LINK please.

Openly quote sony saying that have a nice time waiting.

Other thing you forget is that the PS3 supported stereoscopic 3D which men double the frames of games since you get 30/30 per eye or in the case of Super stardust HD 60/60 per eye which = 120FPS.

Super Stardust 3D: 720p120 confirmed

Digital Foundry and Housemarque on 3D.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/super-stardust-3d-720p120-confirmed-article

So what was that? That no game ran at 120FPS?

Yeah that is what probably sony Kuturagi was referring by 120FPS,alto they fell short of it with basically all 3d games.

Sony never claimed all games would be 120FPS let alone in 1080.

Oh report me to the mods for what? to be ban and you created 10 more account please dude stop,you appeared here out of no where and suddenly started posting like if you have 10 years on the place yes you are an alt and a bigger joke than anyone here lemming.

Now quote sony you bitter troll claiming that all games WILL BE OR RUN at 120FPS.

Hell i don't believe for a second PS5 games will be 120FPS,and i am sure this is just for VR nothing more nothing less.

Avatar image for rzxv04
#41 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Trouble with 120Hz is that you need a beefy CPU and a 3GHz Zen CPU just doesn't cut it regardless of resolution... Also I don't see a developer bothering with this at all even if they could since most people don't have HDR compatible TV's let alone 120Hz TV's.

Its just a tech spec of the hardware involved has no connection with the actual capability of the hardware, its something to get hype if that. PS5 will be a 4K/30FPS console with some games at 60FPS if the developer targets it but most developers will target 30FPS because it gives them headroom to push the graphics further and because a Navi is 2060 & 2070 performance which is not enough for 60FPS for most games at 4K let alone 120Hz at anything above 1080P with a 3GHz AMD CPU.

Closer to a best case scenario would be something like the witcher 3.

Here's Digital Foundry testing a 1st generation Ryzen at 4 cores and 8 threads at 3 Ghz trying to push for cpu, not exactly a gpu throughput test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjjRdrVAHCQ

Witcher 3's base console target is at 900p/1080p/30 FPS and this is how it usually performs while the Ryzen goes up to 1080p/122fps for the CPU test.

"Witcher 3 based on current gen constraints targetting 30 hz on consoles.... in general gameplay on the open world, our Ryzen candidate moves north of one hundred frames per second: a three to four X improvement even before we factor in processor specific optimizations in a fixed box like a console.

Remember we're using code here that was never designed with Ryzen in mind, game makers code to the silicon on a console, one of the key advantages of the boxes have.."

Other games tested didn't get that much FPS boost though.

While we're getting two generations ahead in terms of cpu improvements compared to what digital foundry tested and doubled cores, we still also don't know the clockspeeds.

Because of the next generations having backwards compatibility that may result in the prevalence of cross-gen games limited to designs for base 8th gen hardware, there might be a better chance of devs improving a hypothetical 8th gen lower resolution mode with higher framerates past 60hz and separate modes like 8th gen graphics mode (~4K/4KCB/60), 9th gen graphics mode (4K/30/60). I guess this isn't that realistic but who knows.

It hasn't been confirmed but I'm guessing that 4K/120hz support announcement would be mostly for showing possibility of improvements from Xbox's 1440p/120hz/VRR support regardless of how many know that there's no such games for consoles that does true 1440p/120 fps but it helped with the feeling of smoothness for games like Sekiro thant's to VRR/120hz mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVM1LsbHvA&feature=youtu.be&t=626

I think it also has to do with the capability of the hardware and standardized formats of tvs in the near future though much, much less in the context of next gen native rendering.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#42 Edited by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@pc_rocks said:

LMAO, this is your spin, fraud? Yeah he did. Let me help out an idiot like you here that don't have the mental capacity to understand the context or the simple thing is that 'expect' is the word GS used in their translation. Eurogamer used 'will' in theirs. The content and overall claim(lie) remains the same.

Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has claimed that the PlayStation 3 will run games at an unprecedented (and perhaps rather pointless) 120 frames per second.

Not just that he touted all sorts of rubbish.

Appearing at the Tokyo International Digital Conference on Thursday to talk about the technological capabilities of the PlayStation 3 and the Cell processor, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi said he expects the PS3 to be capable of running games at a stunning 120fps, according to a report in The Nikkei BP.

And yes, he didn't just said current(previous gen games because he specifically said that once TV's become available to support it i.e. future games). Remain butthurt that Sony has been lying since the PS2 days and your desperate attempt to put words in my mouth won't change anything. PS3 isn't capable of doing anything he mentioned, not a single game ran at 120FPS on PS3, let alone at 1080p while E3 2006 claim was:

As for the alt, let me just quote what I asked you to do and as always you ran with your tail between your legs since you're a fraud:

Okay then report me to mods and let's see what happens? Why don't you bet your account on it and see if I'm a lemming hiding behind an alt? Let's do it, fraud. Let's see if you have the guts or again chicken your way out as always.

You're a fraud and a flip flopper, always have been, always will be. You lie every time you type something.

I'm 100% sure, you will ignore that again but will be back with the same pathetic blame in the next thread.

Were did sony claim.

""All PS3 games will run at 120FPS and will support dual monitor""

Again LINK please.

Openly quote sony saying that have a nice time waiting.

Other thing you forget is that the PS3 supported stereoscopic 3D which men double the frames of games since you get 30/30 per eye or in the case of Super stardust HD 60/60 per eye which = 120FPS.

Super Stardust 3D: 720p120 confirmed

Digital Foundry and Housemarque on 3D.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/super-stardust-3d-720p120-confirmed-article

So what was that? That no game ran at 120FPS?

Yeah that is what probably sony Kuturagi was referring by 120FPS,alto they fell short of it with basically all 3d games.

Sony never claimed all games would be 120FPS let alone in 1080.

Oh report me to the mods for what? to be ban and you created 10 more account please dude stop,you appeared here out of no where and suddenly started posting like if you have 10 years on the place yes you are an alt and a bigger joke than anyone here lemming.

Now quote sony you bitter troll claiming that all games WILL BE OR RUN at 120FPS.

Hell i don't believe for a second PS5 games will be 120FPS,and i am sure this is just for VR nothing more nothing less.

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/sony-ps3-promises/

PlayStation 3 will have two HDMI outputs, standard Wi-Fi, and support for 7 controllers. – Ken Kutaragi at Sony's 2005 E3 press conference.

When Sony first announced the PlayStation 3, it got applause from the E3 crowd for a laundry list of features that never made it into the final system. Few people mourned these, because frankly nobody really needed two HDMI ports.

In this case, it seems like Sony simply announced the console a bit too early into the design process, and they ended up cutting several of these features before the system launched. Wi-Fi is almost a standard feature on the PS3, but it did not ship with the 20GB model of the system at launch. It's important to keep in mind that the design of the console may not be finalized, even if Sony pretends it is.

The bit about using 7 controllers simultaneously turned out to be true, but it's been used very rarely over the system's lifespan. As far as we can tell it's only ever been used in one simplistic downloadable racing game and a few sports titles.

Verdict: False

----

PS3 can run games at 120 frames per second, stream six channels of HD, and decode one thousand media thumbnails simultaneously. – Ken Kutaragi and Phil Harrison, in a translated interview with Nikkei BP and the PS3 E3 revealrespectively.

Verdict: Probably false, but who knows or cares?

Verdict: FALSE

CELL's SPUs are needed to patch the ageing RSX GPU besides matching Xbox 360 three PPE CPUs.

Name a PS3 game that delivered 120 fps, streams six channels of HD and decode one thousand media thumbnails simultaneously.

PS; PS3's false promises died with Ken Kutaragi's leadership removal from Sony.

Avatar image for Diddies
#43 Posted by Diddies (2399 posts) -

@rzxv04 said:
@npiet1 said:

This makes complete sense. It's not for the TV per se but for the PSVR headset which already runs at 120hz. So if the next gen headset if 4k at 120hz. It would make sense for the console to support it for the TV. I don't think that they will have much to run at those levels.

4k/120hz makes sense because I think it's considered that it will be common enough during the console's lifespan and it would be interesting if this tandems to mid-gen refreshes.

Uhhhh….no it won't.

Avatar image for henrythefifth
#44 Posted by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

These news made MS reps reach for those brand new Xbox shower gels!

Avatar image for rzxv04
#45 Edited by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

@Diddies said:
@rzxv04 said:
@npiet1 said:

This makes complete sense. It's not for the TV per se but for the PSVR headset which already runs at 120hz. So if the next gen headset if 4k at 120hz. It would make sense for the console to support it for the TV. I don't think that they will have much to run at those levels.

4k/120hz makes sense because I think it's considered that it will be common enough during the console's lifespan and it would be interesting if this tandems to mid-gen refreshes.

Uhhhh….no it won't.

I'm not gonna bet on it exactly but 2020 will probably a much bigger push for HDMI 2.1 that supports 8K/30 4K/120 on tvs since it's already starting this year below flagship tvs but near upper end like LG C9, high end but relatively cheap 4K/120hz Samsung Q900R 2019 (below $5K) and console lifespans would probably go 6-7 years, plus likely HDMI 2.1 devices like consoles and maybe HDMI 2.1 GPUs in 2020 might happen.

All of that considered, I think that 4K/120hz display would be common "enough". That's a little subjective though so to make it more concrete, I think that 4K/120hz would be a common feature on mid-range TVs within 6-7 years like future replacement models of TCL 6 2019 series, Vizio Ms, Sony X9XXs, LG Cs, Samsung Q80s, etc.

I do wonder if big format displays (large monitors) would become more common though or would flop if TV pricing and features remain competitive. No idea how mid-range monitors would be coming out at that timeframe.

Avatar image for npiet1
#46 Posted by npiet1 (2481 posts) -

@rzxv04 said:
@Diddies said:
@rzxv04 said:
@npiet1 said:

This makes complete sense. It's not for the TV per se but for the PSVR headset which already runs at 120hz. So if the next gen headset if 4k at 120hz. It would make sense for the console to support it for the TV. I don't think that they will have much to run at those levels.

4k/120hz makes sense because I think it's considered that it will be common enough during the console's lifespan and it would be interesting if this tandems to mid-gen refreshes.

Uhhhh….no it won't.

I'm not gonna bet on it exactly but 2020 will probably a much bigger push for HDMI 2.1 that supports 8K/30 4K/120 on tvs since it's already starting this year below flagship tvs but near upper end like LG C9, high end but relatively cheap 4K/120hz Samsung Q900R 2019 (below $5K) and console lifespans would probably go 6-7 years, plus likely HDMI 2.1 devices like consoles and maybe HDMI 2.1 GPUs in 2020 might happen.

All of that considered, I think that 4K/120hz display would be common "enough". That's a little subjective though so to make it more concrete, I think that 4K/120hz would be a common feature on mid-range TVs within 6-7 years like future replacement models of TCL 6 2019 series, Vizio Ms, Sony X9XXs, LG Cs, Samsung Q80s, etc.

I do wonder if big format displays (large monitors) would become more common though or would flop if TV pricing and features remain competitive. No idea how mid-range monitors would be coming out at that timeframe.

The issue isn't the screens, it never has been. Its the gpu the 2080 stuggles with some games at 4k 60hz, so theres no way a consoles is going to reach that level except on movies, which is fine but the highest media I know of is demos or big youtubers who film at 4k 60hz

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#47 Posted by PC_Rocks (2559 posts) -

@tormentos said:

Were did sony claim.

""All PS3 games will run at 120FPS and will support dual monitor""

Again LINK please.

Openly quote sony saying that have a nice time waiting.

Other thing you forget is that the PS3 supported stereoscopic 3D which men double the frames of games since you get 30/30 per eye or in the case of Super stardust HD 60/60 per eye which = 120FPS.

Super Stardust 3D: 720p120 confirmed

Digital Foundry and Housemarque on 3D.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/super-stardust-3d-720p120-confirmed-article

So what was that? That no game ran at 120FPS?

Yeah that is what probably sony Kuturagi was referring by 120FPS,alto they fell short of it with basically all 3d games.

Sony never claimed all games would be 120FPS let alone in 1080.

Oh report me to the mods for what? to be ban and you created 10 more account please dude stop,you appeared here out of no where and suddenly started posting like if you have 10 years on the place yes you are an alt and a bigger joke than anyone here lemming.

Now quote sony you bitter troll claiming that all games WILL BE OR RUN at 120FPS.

Hell i don't believe for a second PS5 games will be 120FPS,and i am sure this is just for VR nothing more nothing less.

No body mentioned the word 'ALL GAMES', it's your pathetic attempt to DC Sony's lie. No company ever claims all or use explicit words like that, even in this very thread they didn't say every game will run at 120 FPS. They always say it supports. That's what frauds like you do, ignore the context and try to put words in others mouth.

That's not 120 FPS, that's re-projection. Idiots like you wouldn't know that, they even mentioned in the very same interview that they incorporated these frames in PS3's 60Hz playback. PS3 don't even support 120Hz. Kutaragi outright lied as always. But keep trying to google to find something. You think your pathetic attempt at words play work on me?

Not a single game ran at dual 1080p, panoramic view of 32:9 or 120 FPS. Remain buttmad for 20+ years of Sony lies and they are only 15 years late with their promise.

As I predicted you will ignore the challenge and chicken out as always. You think your deliberate attempt to misapprehension work on me? You know precisely what I said and asked you to do. Here's the challenge again fraud:

Okay then report me to mods and let's see what happens? Why don't you bet your account on it and see if I'm a lemming hiding behind an alt? Let's do it, fraud. Let's see if you have the guts or again chicken your way out as always.

You're a fraud and a flip flopper, always have been, always will be. You lie every time you type something.

As for what you think:

Again nobody, and when I say nobody I literally mean it, it's not just a figure of speech. Nobody cares who you think about people. Every single thread and post of yours in SW is a proof of that. All laughs at you and your hypocrisy. You call everyone lemming that criticizes your overlord Sony and points out the hypocrisy of cows. You have called me, Zaria, NoodleFighter, howmakewood, ghosts, dragonfire, goldenelement, mansieur, kalibird - lems when many of them only owns PS4 as a console not Xbone and some of them don't own any consoles for that matter. All of them are hermits. Hell I have seen you call lundy, ragnarok and even one mod lemming when they don't even after go Sony/PS4/cows as much as we do. As I said, it's just your excuse to get out of the criticism. I'm sure you just consider cows that have or had a PC - hermits like quackknight, randommatt etc. or people like davillain that are a fan of PS4 true hermits to make you feel better. Sorry tormentos, all the factions are sick and tired of cows bullsh*t, be it lems, hermits or sheep. All the threads in SW are the proof of that.

If anything you're a bigger lemming than the people I listed along with me. They are all consistent in their arguments while you - a hypocrite switches position in a heart beat. I can easily pull ton of your threads defending Xbone/MS against PC with us hermits when your only way of defending Sony was to defend the MS/Xbone when you in other threads you were hating the MS/Xbone with the same arguments we hermits put up. You're a hypocrite of a highest order. You hide behind Xbone/Switch when it fits your agenda to defend but Sony but in other instances have gone as far as hiding behind mobiles to attack Switch. You're a fraud!

Avatar image for tormentos
#48 Posted by tormentos (29236 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:

No body mentioned the word 'ALL GAMES', it's your pathetic attempt to DC Sony's lie. No company ever claims all or use explicit words like that, even in this very thread they didn't say every game will run at 120 FPS. They always say it supports. That's what frauds like you do, ignore the context and try to put words in others mouth.

That's not 120 FPS, that's re-projection. Idiots like you wouldn't know that, they even mentioned in the very same interview that they incorporated these frames in PS3's 60Hz playback. PS3 don't even support 120Hz. Kutaragi outright lied as always. But keep trying to google to find something. You think your pathetic attempt at words play work on me?

Not a single game ran at dual 1080p, panoramic view of 32:9 or 120 FPS. Remain buttmad for 20+ years of Sony lies and they are only 15 years late with their promise.

As I predicted you will ignore the challenge and chicken out as always. You think your deliberate attempt to misapprehension work on me? You know precisely what I said and asked you to do. Here's the challenge again fraud:

Okay then report me to mods and let's see what happens? Why don't you bet your account on it and see if I'm a lemming hiding behind an alt? Let's do it, fraud. Let's see if you have the guts or again chicken your way out as always.

You're a fraud and a flip flopper, always have been, always will be. You lie every time you type something.

As for what you think:

So after trying to prove me wrong and failing now you claim no one mention the word all games.

After been prove wrong and showing you that 1 game was in deed 120FPS now is backtracking time.

NO.

Read the damn article from DF

This is hugely significant, confirming that the new version of Super Stardust HD is effectively running at a native resolution of full 720p at a staggering 120 frames per second (60 for each eye).

Seppo Halonen: We render two full-resolution 720p frames with identical content compared to standard mode. Doubling the rendering is quite a challenge in itself to begin with, and we are happy with current 720p 60FPS stereo mode.

There is no re-projection buffoon and any GPU could reach 120FPS ass its totally dependent on the game in question.

The RSX is like any other PC GPU,push it and it crumbles,don't push it and it runs super fast.

This is far cry at 1600x1200 the RSX is stronger than any of this 2 GPU,and then some it has Cell for help,so yeah depending on the game it would run at 120FPS,but again what Kuturagi was probably referring to was 3D.

Where sony used re-projection techniques was on VR is i am not mistaken on PS4.

Off course not the PS3 was let with just 1 HDMI,the PS3 was to expensive as it is,on a time were the 360 didn't even come with HDMI port,but again if sony would have put dual hdmi it could had been done the RSX is just a PC GPU i don't know what make it so impossible in your fragile mind.

The more you debate me here the more you get expose as a fake hermit dude,again you are a lemming in disguise we know your angle since you started posting alt.

@ronvalencia said:

CELL's SPUs are needed to patch the ageing RSX GPU besides matching Xbox 360 three PPE CPUs.

Name a PS3 game that delivered 120 fps, streams six channels of HD and decode one thousand media thumbnails simultaneously.

PS; PS3's false promises died with Ken Kutaragi's leadership removal from Sony.

The 6800Ultra could run UT3 at 200 FPS the RSX is stronger please man stop,the only thing that stopped the RSX from those frame rate was graphics,no console will go after 120FPS and deliver shitty looking games.

The 360 was cable of running games as well over 120FPS it just depended on what game,GTA no chance in hell and Indie game or something similar without problems yet they were cap at 30 or 60FPS.

Super Stardust run at 120FPS in 3D mode,render 2 full 720p image at 60FPS for each eye i already posted the link.

Considering you hate the PS3 so much is not a surprise to see you downplay it here,fact is as bad as the RSX was on your eyes the Xenon CPU was 3 times more shit and could not do shit to help the xenos GPU,with the end results of PS3 games out doing graphically 360 games even with a weaker GPU..lol

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#49 Edited by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@ronvalencia said:

CELL's SPUs are needed to patch the ageing RSX GPU besides matching Xbox 360 three PPE CPUs.

Name a PS3 game that delivered 120 fps, streams six channels of HD and decode one thousand media thumbnails simultaneously.

PS; PS3's false promises died with Ken Kutaragi's leadership removal from Sony.

The 6800Ultra could run UT3 at 200 FPS the RSX is stronger please man stop,the only thing that stopped the RSX from those frame rate was graphics,no console will go after 120FPS and deliver shitty looking games.

The 360 was cable of running games as well over 120FPS it just depended on what game,GTA no chance in hell and Indie game or something similar without problems yet they were cap at 30 or 60FPS.

Super Stardust run at 120FPS in 3D mode,render 2 full 720p image at 60FPS for each eye i already posted the link.

Considering you hate the PS3 so much is not a surprise to see you downplay it here,fact is as bad as the RSX was on your eyes the Xenon CPU was 3 times more shit and could not do shit to help the xenos GPU,with the end results of PS3 games out doing graphically 360 games even with a weaker GPU..lol

Red herring argument with very old UT3 since this game is not current generation XBO/PS4 game. Hint: CPU geometry control budget is designed for PCs in 2007 era. Both IBM VMX-128 and Intel Core 2 SSE 4.0/4.1 has instructions for efficient CPU matrix maths processing.

6800 Ultra has 16 ROPS with 16 PS and 6 VS

RSX has 8 ROPS with 24 PS and 8 VS

When the game is not bound by shaders, 6800 Ultra has the advantage. Shader FLOPS is meaningless without read/write units from ROPS and TMUs. Higher shader power enables games with higher shader complexity but it still bound by read/write units

Reminder, PS3 arrived when 8800 GTX was PC's flagship GPU, hence it too late to catch up to PCs.

Digital Foundry's gen 1 Ryzen 4C/8T at 3Ghz test includes games like Witcher 3 which is current generation game for XBO and PS4.

Try again

Avatar image for nefariouscheat
#50 Posted by nefariouscheat (13 posts) -

Nice, but first let them proof it. 4k on ps4 pro was also a flop.