PS5 has now shipped 17.3 Million Units across the globe!

• 49 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56156 Posts

Normally I don't do sales or shipped for that matter but in this modern age we are living, I guess a little good news in the gaming world couldn't hurt to report. Anyway:

Link: PS5 Has Shipped 17.3 Million Units; PlayStation Sales Dropped & Profit Grew Year-on-Year

Today Sony announced its financial results for the third quarter of the fiscal year 2021, which ended on December 31, including an update on PS5 and PS4 shipments.

3.9 million PS5 and 200,000 PS4 units were purchased by retailers worldwide during the quarter, which means that the grand total for PS4 as of September 30 is at 116.9 million units shipped. On the other hand, PS5 has shipped 17.3 million units in its lifetime.

It’s worth mentioning that the quarterly results announced today are compared year-on-year with the PS5’s launch quarter, so it’s not completely surprising that sales have dropped. As a matter of fact, this was still the second-best quarter in the PlayStation business’ history for revenue and the best for operating income during the Holiday season (Q3).

As a result, Sony is dropping the full Game & Network Services fiscal year forecast for sales by 70 billion yen, while increasing the forecast for operating income by 12.1 billion

In this dire of chip shortage, this news is still very impressive to say the least. Can’t imagine what numbers it would be doing without the shortage and make no mistake, PS5 is still the hottest console of choice...if you like what Sony is offering in terms of PS5 exclusives of course. Either way, I can imagine hitting 30 million by end of the year. Wealth & glory to Sony's PS5👏

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45176 Posts

Lem/Sheep/Herm meltdown in 3...2....1...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44100 Posts

lol :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator

What do you know, even Shinobi602 has share more details:

Sony is making dat🤑👌

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@SecretPolice: Come on now. PS5 isn't dead in the waters...yet😏

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@davillain said:

Sony is making dat🤑👌

but, but, GamePass has 25 million members :(

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13000 Posts

“ This compares to 20.2 million for PlayStation 4 in the same timeframe, when launch aligned”

Yikes. Cow meltdown in 3…2…1….

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@x_hedon: Even back during PS4 launch, they were hard to find, but NOT that hard as PS5 is now. Even than, PS4 was just hard to get your hands on due to heavy demands. I was their, getting my PS4 on launch day at Gamestop.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@x_hedon: What meltdown exactly Kvally?

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Emotional first reply 🤣

And a bu but bu but stock damage control killer for when Xbox won/win the monthly sales fanboys care so much about

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3139 Posts

@x_hedon said:

“ This compares to 20.2 million for PlayStation 4 in the same timeframe, when launch aligned”

Considering the ongoing global pandemic wreaking havok on supply chains, selling 14.3% fewer units isn’t a major surprise or cause for concern for Sony. People are still buying them as fast as Sony can make and transport them.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7707 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Lem/Sheep/Herm meltdown in 3...2....1...

I'm sure sheep are devastated about these news with Switch only selling 20+ mil per year

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69599 Posts

Good news about PS5 and surprise surprise, the First comment about GamePass is from Sony fannies.😂 The same one that sub for 3 years but avoided PSNow like a plague. Gamepass continues to be living rent free.🤣

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KvallyX

@zmanbarzel: totally agree with you. Xbox and PS would be higher than they are now had the shortage not been an issue.

Hard to believe this is still going on.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46373 Posts

Strange, I could swear they only made 5 chips. Were the other 17.299.995 Playstations just filled with sand?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic  Online

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Truly the Dreamcast of this generation 😉

In all seriousness though this is pretty impressive to see - it suggests to me in some ways the shortage isn't as bad as it could be: it's a choke collar on sales, but not bringing them to a standstill

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7180 Posts

@Pedro said:

Good news about PS5 and surprise surprise, the First comment about GamePass is from Sony fannies.😂 The same one that sub for 3 years but avoided PSNow like a plague. Gamepass continues to be living rent free.🤣

yeah sony is sleeping on psnow. its a shame to. there are so many smaller games I want to try but not spending 15 to 20 bucks on. games like hzd2 I don't mind paying for but games that are not known from indies its hard to spend money on because well it might suck lol and there is no rating any more. ps4 had 1 out of 5 stars for games on the store. this is were gamepass shines. ps the first party is were they shine. now wake up sony give us psnow that is worth 10 bucks a month.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12306 Posts

Definitely lower than I thought.

Pray for all the devs working on next gen only games.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3736 Posts

With most into the hands of scalpers, far away from actual customers.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts
@tjandmia said:

I would guarantee at least 3 million of these were bought by bots and are sitting in someone's garage/basement waiting to be flipped for $800 on eBay.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3736 Posts
@mysticaldonut said:
@tjandmia said:

I would guarantee at least 3 million of these were bought by bots and are sitting in someone's garage/basement waiting to be flipped for $800 on eBay.

At least 3m? I'd say most :)

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3229 Posts

Wow so the PS5 is selling more because the Xbox Series X/S itself have passed 12 million so far. Still with both Microsoft and Sony buying out other game companies recently, things should be very interesting in the future.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/news/xbox/159808-xbox-series-x-s-sales-12-million-record-annual-revenue

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44579 Posts

I get the feeling this is what they said PS5 sales were at just a few weeks ago, is this just confirmed in Sony's quarterly report?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34630 Posts

Meh. I can think of way better things to spend chips on.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44237 Posts

Pretty good all things considered. Shame though that the scalpers continue to run rampant. They should have released these systems reverse to what they did. Should have sold them in store only. At least the scalpers would have had to put in a modicum of effort. 😅

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@davillain said:

Sony is making dat🤑👌

not comparable

PS+ = Xbox Live Gold (or whatever they call it now)

I hesitate to say PS Now and GamePass are the same though, since one is total streaming and one is streaming, download, etc

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 regnaston

@girlusocrazy said:

@regnaston: You can stream all games on PS Now but only download the PS4/5 games, and Game Pass you can download all the games but can only stream some of them. But PSNow is $60/y and Game Pass is like $120 and Ultimate is like $180 or something? I can't see the price

not sure about the price of just PC or Console GP (I think it is 9.99 retail) GPU is 15.99 retail (I think). But there are always deals out there. Last time I bought a bunch of two week renewals for 1.99 each so it came out to just over $50 for a year of GPU

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator

I don't trust streaming service at all. Streaming games is the last thing I wanna see becoming the norm. Going all digital gaming is one thing I love but streaming isn't and I don't trust nobody to treat it with respect. GeForce Now I'll give'em credit.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidGame_basic  Online

@regnaston said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@davillain said:

Sony is making dat🤑👌

not comparable

I hesitate to say PS Now and GamePass are the same though, since one is total streaming and one is streaming, download, etc

no way PS+ is the same as Xbox Live Gold. The offering on Gold is so bad that even Xbox fans make up an excuse and say 'well we have GamePass!".

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By regnaston
@girlusocrazy said:

@regnaston: Nice, I know on CDKeys you could get PSNow for $40/y and I bought codes from there before and it worked out well, but game pass ultimate is on there for $135 so you got a better deal

yeah you have to jump on them when you find them because they are not as regular as other deals.. that said I could always allow it to expire and then max out my Gold and they do the "upgrade" for $1

edit: I could also just use my MS Rewards points but I am saving that to buy hardware

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KvallyX

@girlusocrazy said:

@regnaston: You can stream all games on PS Now but only download the PS4/5 games, and Game Pass you can download all the games but can only stream some of them. But PSNow is $60/y and Game Pass is like $120 and Ultimate is like $180 or something? I can't see the price

You are correct. If you are up for Xbox Live Gold renewal, and say you buy 3 years worth of XBL at $60 per year ($180), you can pay one dollar and get Game Pass included. Making it $181 total for 3 years.

@SolidGame_basic said:
@regnaston said:

not comparable

no way PS+ is the same as Xbox Live Gold. The offering on Gold is so bad that even Xbox fans make up an excuse and say 'well we have GamePass!".

PS+ and XBL Gold are one in the same. Sadly, both subs offer completely shitty monthly games included in that subscription. The one good thing about Xbox though is that 2 out of the 4 games you get to keep forever, even if your subscription ends.

The games included for PS+ and XBL Gold have been so bad that I haven't bothered to redeem them for years.

PS+ = XBL Gold

PS Now = Game Pass

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 regnaston

@x_hedon: the funny thing about the upgrade thing is that MS blogged about it a couple years ago encouraging people to do it

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/07/17/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-xbox-game-pass-ultimate/

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@x_hedon: PS+ has had excellent months recently. P5S and Dirt 5 last month, for example.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KvallyX

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@x_hedon: PS+ has had excellent months recently. P5S and Dirt 5 last month, for example.

Nah, they have been garbage. On a rare occasion each service squeaks out one good one.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11799 Posts

I didn't know they still sold PS4s. I stopped seeing PS4s and Xbox Ones being sold in all the major retailers once the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X came out. I only see the games being sold in-store and online. Not even the controllers, I don't think the dualshock 4 controllers being sold on Amazon are real ones made by Sony either.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KvallyX
@regnaston said:

@x_hedon: the funny thing about the upgrade thing is that MS blogged about it a couple years ago encouraging people to do it

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/07/17/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-xbox-game-pass-ultimate/

Indeed! But very few, less the hardcore of course, will pay for 3 years of Xbox Live Gold ahead of time. And you can't just keep adding that promotion once it expires. You either need to create a new XBL Gold account and do it again each time, or you need to monitor to your XBL Gold account subscription to expire, then go back and try it again. Sadly though, that hasn't been working lately for some. I even tried it and no dice :(

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SolidGame_basic  Online

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Yea, PS+ is way ahead of Gold and this is really just common sense.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Yea, PS+ is way ahead of Gold and this is really just common sense.

I wish that was the case. Sadly they are both shit.

@girlusocrazy said:

@x_hedon: Not even Bloodborne, MGSV, TLoU, Wipeout, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, FF7R, Plague Tale, Control, Days Gone, Hitman 2, Lego DC Super Villains, Virtua Fighter 5, Bioshock Infinite, Demon's Souls, Borderlands Handsome Collection, Dust Elysian Tale, Titanfall 2, Guacamelee, Destiny 2, or Yakuza Kiwami?

Anyway it's worth noting that when you first get Plus you can get 20 games off the bat on PS5 including Persona 5, Bloodborne, God of War, Days Gone, RE7, FF15

I've definitely played my share of games off Plus

In the past, I did every game on XBL Gold and PS Plus and played a TON from both. However, the past 2 years+, as confirmed by most media outlets, they have both tanked in offerings, each offering a savior here or there.

I own Bloodborne, MGSV, TLOU, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, FF7R, Control, Days Gone, Hitman 2, Bioshock Infinite, Demon's Souls, Borderlands Games, Titanfall 2, Guacamelee and Destiny 2, God of War and Persona 5.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts

Would have been triple if there was stock

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KvallyX

@blamix said:

Would have been triple if there was stock

Why stop there? Would have been quadruple if there was stock. 68 million PS5s would have sold in about a year.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10623 Posts

@x_hedon said:

Dat damage control though.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

dude thats nothing snes sold like 90 mills

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts
@girlusocrazy said:

Game Pass Ultimate includes Xbox Live Gold and EA Play. So it's like PSNow ($60/yr) + PSPlus ($60/yr)+ EA Play ($30/yr).

Game Pass Ultimate is $180/yr (or you can get up to 3 years for $180 if you do the Xbox Live Gold upgrade). The rough equivalent on PlayStation is $150/yr.

Of course, Game Pass Ultimate includes day-one releases, monthly perks and PC support, which the Sony offering doesn't have.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

dang the xbox has been getting owned on daily basis. with all this ownage by the ps5, I don't think the xbox will be able to last