PS3: Once developers find the true power of the cel = dual 1080p at 120fps?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

console_fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 console_fanboy
Member since 2006 • 595 Posts
Sony promised us a lot of things. One of them is Dual 1080p at 120fps.

Now the reality is that most games run on 720 with 20fps, and when theres is a lot happening at once it will get even lower to 10-15fps.

Now once the developers find the hidden power of the cell, do u cows think it would be possible to have dual 1080p at 120fps? Or was it all a BIG lie?
RobinHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 RobinHood
Member since 2002 • 421 Posts

Now the reality is that most games run on 720 with 20fps, and when theres is a lot happening at once it will get even lower to 10-15fps.

Now once the developers find the hidden power of the cell, do u cows think it would be possible to have dual 1080p at 120fps? Or was it all a BIG lie?
console_fanboy
It was all a BIG lie!
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#3 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

console_fanboy

I haven't heard anything about that. Got any proof? link or anything?

console_fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 console_fanboy

[QUOTE="console_fanboy"]Sony promised us a lot of things. One of them is Dual 1080p at 120fps.

AzelKosMos

its common knowlegde, its has been all over the internet. Where have u been?
Driftwood111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Driftwood111
Member since 2005 • 577 Posts
I've heard that promise http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/sony-verifies-ps3-1080p-and-bluray-155171.php

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts
It'll take them 5+years. The power of the PS2 wasn't finally fully exploited until God of War (for the longest time the best graphics was MGS2). Remember when the PS2 was first announed with those awesome tech demos, PS2 games have finally reached that level of quality that was promised in 1999. We'll finally see PS3 games that look as good as the Killzone tech demo in 2011. That's the problem with making such a highly powered but complex game machine.
Galantina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Galantina
Member since 2006 • 446 Posts
no it wont be possible. Simple reason really, the lack of RAM. Im sure the cell coupled with say 1-2GB of RAM would easily be up to the task, however 512MB (or 256MB, whatever other people say) is simply not enough.
console_fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 console_fanboy
[QUOTE="Galantina"]no it wont be possible. Simple reason really, the lack of RAM. Im sure the cell coupled with say 1-2GB of RAM would easily be up to the task, however 512MB (or 256MB, whatever other people say) is simply not enough.

got link?
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts
120 FPS is impossible on PS3, not to mention useless. Apparently the eye cannot see more than 60 FPS, and journalists who watched footage at that speed had motion sickness, so it's hardly practical unless you are a raving bulimia sufferer. I do think dual 1080p could be possible though, as most PCs are able to output to two screens. PC gaming has been HD for years now, so it's not an impossible feat.
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts
[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

[QUOTE="console_fanboy"]Sony promised us a lot of things. One of them is Dual 1080p at 120fps.

console_fanboy

Um...no. No link= fabricating/making things up/whuh? :shock:
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#11 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts
Just wait till PS4 :cry:
Mass_Effect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mass_Effect
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

120 FPS is impossible on PS3, not to mention useless. -Spock-

Well not really. Couldn't a game with really crappy graphics run at 120fps quite easily?

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LoserMike

[QUOTE="-Spock-"]120 FPS is impossible on PS3, not to mention useless. Mass_Effect

Well not really. Couldn't a game with really crappy graphics run at 120fps quite easily?

But it'll be useless since HDTVs only refresh at 60fps.
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts
[QUOTE="Mass_Effect"]

[QUOTE="-Spock-"]120 FPS is impossible on PS3, not to mention useless. LoserMike

Indeed. Plus I doubt we'll be getting a game looking so crap and the developers supporting both 1080p and 120 FPS at the same time. Most devs are saying 720p is fine for now.
Amnesiacx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Amnesiacx
Member since 2004 • 1329 Posts
120 FPS is impossible on PS3, not to mention useless. Apparently the eye cannot see more than 60 FPS, and journalists who watched footage at that speed had motion sickness, so it's hardly practical unless you are a raving bulimia sufferer. I do think dual 1080p could be possible though, as most PCs are able to output to two screens. PC gaming has been HD for years now, so it's not an impossible feat.-Spock-

Most people can't even tell a difference of anything thats over 30fps. And also -- just because this is system wars -- Gears of War fanbois can't tell the difference between 15fps and 30fps. So meh.
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
[QUOTE="-Spock-"]120 FPS is impossible on PS3, not to mention useless. Apparently the eye cannot see more than 60 FPS, and journalists who watched footage at that speed had motion sickness, so it's hardly practical unless you are a raving bulimia sufferer. I do think dual 1080p could be possible though, as most PCs are able to output to two screens. PC gaming has been HD for years now, so it's not an impossible feat.Amnesiacx

Most people can't even tell a difference of anything thats over 30fps. And also -- just because this is system wars -- Gears of War fanbois can't tell the difference between 15fps and 30fps. So meh.

The Gears framerate rumor is just that, a rumor. The framerate doesn't even drop on the last level when fighting on a train that is going about 100mph...
Medic_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Medic_B
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts
So again we just have to waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait!!!
Magical_Zebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Magical_Zebra
Member since 2003 • 7960 Posts

console_fanboy
Man I love that sig you got there. "Bu bu but teh 4d DUAL 1080p 60fps!!" :lol:
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AzelKosMos
[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

console_fanboy

I'm still waiting for something about this 10 - 15 fps.

Seriously, I don't come in system wars often and haven't been paying all that to the Ps3.

Nauty26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Nauty26
Member since 2002 • 734 Posts

console_fanboy

Wont happen until a tv is created that can keep up!
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts
[QUOTE="console_fanboy"][QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

AzelKosMos

Seriously, I don't come in system wars often and haven't been paying all that to the Ps3.

Doesnt Resistance run at 60 FPS? When I play Resistance it seems much smoother than when I play GeOW.
Mass_Effect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mass_Effect

Seriously, I don't come in system wars often and haven't been paying all that to the Ps3.

AzelKosMos

He's exaggerating like all fanboys do. I think GS mentioned in the Project 8 review that the game dropped to 15fps at some points. Not many PS3 games do that though

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

wow....

it took the ps2 a year before the excuses of "hidden power" started to appear.... it took the ps3 3 months..

i guess the ps3 is a bigger disappointmnet than i thought.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AzelKosMos
[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

Mass_Effect

He's exaggerating like all fanboys do. I think GS mentioned in the Project 8 review that the game dropped to 15fps at some points. Not many PS3 games do that though

ah ok, this news just kind of worried me as I have a PS3 pre ordered for the UK next month and wanted to know.

Mass_Effect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mass_Effect
[QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

AzelKosMos

ah ok, this news just kind of worried me as I have a PS3 pre ordered for the UK next month and wanted to know.

I live in the UK too, so I'll be getting the PS3 next month as well. I'm not getting Project 8 so I didn't really care about the framerate issues :D

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AzelKosMos
[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"][QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

Mass_Effect

I live in the UK too, so I'll be getting the PS3 next month as well. I'm not getting Project 8 so I didn't really care about the framerate issues :D

Me neither, I'm getting Motorstorm and Resistance on launch. They look really good :D

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LoserMike
[QUOTE="Amnesiacx"][QUOTE="-Spock-"]120 FPS is impossible on PS3, not to mention useless. Apparently the eye cannot see more than 60 FPS, and journalists who watched footage at that speed had motion sickness, so it's hardly practical unless you are a raving bulimia sufferer. I do think dual 1080p could be possible though, as most PCs are able to output to two screens. PC gaming has been HD for years now, so it's not an impossible feat.-GeordiLaForge-

The Gears framerate rumor is just that, a rumor. The framerate doesn't even drop on the last level when fighting on a train that is going about 100mph...

I've seen the framerate drop sometimes but that's only when I play co-op. Usually happens when there's a alot of enemies and granades exploding everywhere. But usually the framerate is consistent. Also people can tell the difference between 30fps and more. The reasoning before was because TVs were interlaced. Now that there are progressive-scan TVs it's very noticable when comparing a game running at 1080i and 720p if it runs at 60fps.
Mass_Effect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mass_Effect

Me neither, I'm getting Motorstorm and Resistance on launch. They look really good :D

AzelKosMos

Same here, and both of those games have a steady framerate. VF5 doesn't have any problems either and I'm getting that too

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AzelKosMos
[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

Mass_Effect

Same here, and both of those games have a steady framerate. VF5 doesn't have any problems either and I'm getting that too

I was looking into that actually, I haven't played Virtua Fighter since 2 though :lol:

darrowby88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darrowby88
Member since 2005 • 861 Posts
the human eye cant see at 120 fps...so whats the point?
Elementguy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Elementguy13
Member since 2005 • 2950 Posts
How can you have 120fps, more fluid than life? Hows that.
Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gamer556
Member since 2006 • 3846 Posts
The PS3 could do that, but the games would look like absolute garbage.
Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gamer556
Member since 2006 • 3846 Posts

How can you have 120fps, more fluid than life? Hows that.Elementguy13

Life isn't rendered in frame per second.:?

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="-Spock-"]120 FPS is impossible on PS3, not to mention useless. Apparently the eye cannot see more than 60 FPS, and journalists who watched footage at that speed had motion sickness, so it's hardly practical unless you are a raving bulimia sufferer. I do think dual 1080p could be possible though, as most PCs are able to output to two screens. PC gaming has been HD for years now, so it's not an impossible feat.Amnesiacx

Actually, the difference between 30 and 60 FPS is very noticeable.

Gears of War's framerate is rock solid. I haven't seen it chug along for much longer than a second in the rare event that it does drop.

Avatar image for _Peoples_Champ_
_Peoples_Champ_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 _Peoples_Champ_
Member since 2002 • 4695 Posts

AzelKosMos

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/5885/PS3+could+run+at+120+fps,+claims+Kutaragi 

Galantina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Galantina
Member since 2006 • 446 Posts
[QUOTE="console_fanboy"][QUOTE="Galantina"]no it wont be possible. Simple reason really, the lack of RAM. Im sure the cell coupled with say 1-2GB of RAM would easily be up to the task, however 512MB (or 256MB, whatever other people say) is simply not enough.

got link?

A link to what exactly?? Its common knowledge that at sony's E3 press conference in 05 they showed the cell running 10 HD videos at once! something that no other processor could do. therefore I think the cell could run in dual 1080 games. If your talking about lack of RAM then i think its common sense, Do you honestly think 512mb of ram is enough to run dual 1080p video at 120fps? i think not.
Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
Another issue that people overlook often is will a developer bothing doing all that work in the first place? Writing code to take advantage of the Cell architecture is not a minor undertaking, and if it doubles the cost of makeing the game on what is already the most expensive platform to develop for......why would they bother? If the game is going to sell, it will sell without the extra little bit of "dazzle", and has very very very few folks will have a dual TV setup....
alcarazo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 alcarazo9
Member since 2005 • 7104 Posts
 TV`s rigth now can only run up to 90fps
alcarazo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 alcarazo9
Member since 2005 • 7104 Posts
[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

_Peoples_Champ_

are you serisoly gonna believe that guy :?
colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 colmusterd28
Member since 2006 • 2854 Posts
Sony is the king of all liars...I know cows don't care...Sony could crap in a box and write PS4 on it and they would throw their money at it...
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
1080i running at 60fps = a 540 pixel frame every 1/120 of a second! ZOMG, 120 FPS! :o
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
The Gears framerate rumor is just that, a rumor. The framerate doesn't even drop on the last level when fighting on a train that is going about 100mph...-GeordiLaForge-
I'm a huge Xbox fan, and I've got to correct you there. Gears slowed down during one section for me, when I was outside of the train car in the tunnel, with sparks flying everywhere and Reavers being blasted into chunks all around me.
1080i running at 60fps = a 540 pixel frame every 1/120 of a second! ZOMG, 120 FPS! :oTimstuff
Wrong. My god, do people just not bother reading up on techical topics before running their mouth off about them? 1080i is 60 fields per second, not 60 frames. Unless you're using field rendering, your frame buffer is still 1920x1080; either you're throwing out lines, or you're running at 30 FPS.
topcatyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 topcatyo
Member since 2006 • 1732 Posts

You do realize the original quote has been taken so out of context that it's lost its original meaning?

The guy never said it was definite, he said that he predicted at the end of the PS3's lifespan that it would be 1080i or p or whatever and 60 fps.

rdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rdo
Member since 2004 • 10314 Posts
1080i running at 60fps = a 540 pixel frame every 1/120 of a second! ZOMG, 120 FPS! :oTimstuff
tvs refresh at 60 (passes)frames a second for p,  i refreshes 1/2 every other line per pass so 30 full frames every 60 seconds.  it wouldn't matter if you could refresh 10,000 frames per second,  you would still only see 60 of them.  there are videocards that can put out of 10000 frames per second now,  but you never see them.  the cards use them for aa .  the power of the cell has been unleashed,  it just dosn't have that much power,  memory bottlenecks suck.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AzelKosMos
[QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

_Peoples_Champ_

No, I meant to the 15fps. I had heard the 120.

alia999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 alia999
Member since 2005 • 1353 Posts
dual 1080p at 120fps was of course just a lie, there is no 'hidden power' to the cell, it may be powerful, but it doesnt seem to be able to put up with 2nd-gen 360 games for now.
Avatar image for SeptimusV_basic
SeptimusV_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SeptimusV_basic
Member since 2002 • 4625 Posts
[QUOTE="console_fanboy"][QUOTE="AzelKosMos"]

Magical_Zebra

Um...no. No link= fabricating/making things up/whuh? :shock:

Unless you have people vouching for each other...then it becomes common knowledge with no hidden intention....
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#48 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts

[QUOTE="Elementguy13"]How can you have 120fps, more fluid than life? Hows that.Gamer556

Life isn't rendered in frame per second.:?

I LOL'ed

Edit: actually it's not totally unfounded. If you're indoors with an artificial lightsource, the 'fps' is determined by that light.
Illumination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Illumination
Member since 2005 • 2109 Posts
It'll take them 5+years. The power of the PS2 wasn't finally fully exploited until God of War (for the longest time the best graphics was MGS2). Remember when the PS2 was first announed with those awesome tech demos, PS2 games have finally reached that level of quality that was promised in 1999. We'll finally see PS3 games that look as good as the Killzone tech demo in 2011. That's the problem with making such a highly powered but complex game machine.LoserMike

MGS2 was never the best looking game on ps2. Its graphics are actually worse then the mgs1 on ps1( MUCH smaller levels, EVERY room needs its own laod screen and almsot no enemies ons creen with you compared to the first game), but the textures are obviously much better.
Krudus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Krudus
Member since 2006 • 1156 Posts
[QUOTE="LoserMike"][QUOTE="Mass_Effect"]

[QUOTE="-Spock-"]120 FPS is impossible on PS3, not to mention useless. -Spock-

Indeed. Plus I doubt we'll be getting a game looking so crap and the developers supporting both 1080p and 120 FPS at the same time. Most devs are saying 720p is fine for now.

that kind of depends of the TV. samsung and philips hafe a new tech in some of their hdtvs that bumps it up considerably.