PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4 Will be a System Seller Just like Halo for The 360

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

The Metal Gear Soild series has never sold really well.

NavigatorsGhost

:lol: LMFAO :lol:

MGS2 sold 7 million copies. Only games that sold more last gen were Halo 2, the GTA series games, and the GT series games.

and MGS3 sold 4 million. Um, 4 million in sales is pretty damn good, especially when you look at how many games came out for the PS2. Almost 350 alone that scored an 8.0 or better here...

so, uh

Fission Mailed?

Why don't you explain why 3 million people who bought MGS2 passed on MGS3.

h2owizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 h2owizard
Member since 2007 • 1054 Posts
i predict that halo 3 will sell more at least with kids, because in my school everybody talks about halo 3 and xbox 360 but if i talk about mgs they never heard about it, its prolly more complicated than they can handle anyway, in america atleast.
Palax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Palax
Member since 2003 • 2399 Posts
Metal Gear has never been sold on a losing platform. It's going to be interesting to see what happens. Also I'm one of the people who believe it will go multiplatform. MGS2 was ported to xbox when xbox had a pathetic userbase. Now Xbox has a superior userbase, and Konami is not going to ignore the stellar software sales xbox has been raking in.
KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts

Wasdie

Agreed

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
[QUOTE="MrEpyx"]

um, when MGS2 came out, the PS2 had a much smaller userbase. A lot smaller. And because of the amount of games and the amount of QUALITY games on the PS2, gamers, for the most part, that bought a PS2 farther down the road (2, 3 years later) did not bother looking at past PS2 games when considering what to buy. Especially since MGS2 did not have multiplayer. Its not like the Halo series, which is still being played by people online years after its inital release. Casuals want the "hip" game, the kind of the thing they can play and/or discuss with their friends. Once the release window on single-player games like MGS2 closes, the sales take a hit, regardless of the quality of the game.

Also, MGS2 is not casual friendly. Casuals might pick up the game when it debuts on a system because they see the awesome graphics and the character kicking ass. But then after they play it, they realize the complex story, long cinematics, and previous lack of multiplayer is not something they like, because those things are not something casuals want. If they do like it, they became MGS fans. Nobody passively follows a series like MGS, you either love it or you don't care about it or hate it.

Your attach rate statistic means absolutely nothing. If you have a game on a system that has sold over 120 million, and it trails only a handful of other games on that platform (GTA - one of the most casual games ever and GT) in sales, you've done something significant.

Why was Halo's (and Halo 2's) attach rate on the Xbox so high? Because it was casual friendly, had multiplayer, and had almost no competition. The Xbox lacked all gametypes, and the PS2 and GC certainly weren't putting out quality FPS games.

Halo has a signifcant sized fanbase now, and since Halo 3 is Microsoft's flagship title, it better have outstanding sales. And again, look at the game's competition in the FPS genre this gen. The best FPS games so far have been because of their single player components (Bioshock, THe Darkness) or have not been on 360 (Resistance). Other than that, you have the Orange Box, which just came out, and is not a casual game.

"Nevermind the fact that Halo 3 costs between $10 and $80 MORE."

That is a total garbage reason. You think people refuse to buy games now because they cost 10 dollars more than they did in 2001? Or 20-30 dollars more than in 1997? Thats adjusted for inflation and is dictated by the market. NEWSFLASH: in a 5 year span, COSTS INCREASE. And you do remember when SNES and N64 games were being sold for 50-70 dollars, right?

NavigatorsGhost

I respectfully disagree.

1.) MGS is casual friendly. In fact, almsot all games are casual friendly (obvious exceptions being games like Virtua Fighter). The genre this game falls into is just not super popular. As you said, it is a love-or-hate game, just like Splinter Cell...but I'd defeinitly say MGS is more noobish than Splinter Cell (in terms of ease of play). Consider Gran Turismo as a counter-point. It's not n00bish by any means. It's a fairly accurate driving simulator and clealry isn't for the crowd looking to play the next Burnout...yet GT is a SYSTEM SELLER. That's a fact. MGS--and its genre--simply doesn't do it for the masses. That's all there is to it.

That being said, I fully believe MGS4 could be a system-seller, because it may be the first really big PS3 game to hit its hype.

2.) I agree on the overall sales point. But the question that cannot be answered is how many of those sales of MGS2 came at or around its launch? And what kind of sales did it mean for the hardware? That's the critical question in this thread...and nobody has the data to answer it. So we'll talk in circles. :|

3.) Halo and Halo 2's attach rate are a function of the quality of the games themselves. Please remind yourself of the scores of technical achievement awards and GoTY awards those two games took home. Xbox had and has plenty of games. People just knew a quality product when they saw it. Of course, the fact that Halo and Halo 2 are still played online by hundreds of thousands of gamers should be enough to tell you that point was flawed.

4.) Its interesting you'd try to simply dismiss the sales of Halo 3 by simply saying "it should sell like this...", as if to suppose any game in the history of GAMING has EVER sold like this. 3.3 million in a little more than a week? GTHO. Mario is a flagship. Zelda is a flagship. Gordon Freeman is a flagship. "Final Fantasy" is a flagship. "GT" is a flagship. "GTA" is a flagship.

NONE of those games...or any game in their family of games...has ever...EVER so much as touched 1/3 of these sales in their opening MONTHS...never mind their first couple of weeks.

Halo 3's 3.3 million may never be touched in the forseeable future of gaming.

I also find it interesting that you'd consider The Orange Box not casual friendly...as if it does something that makes it difficult to get into :|

5.) Lastly, inflation is the least of the reasons game costs have increased.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Yellow_Rose

MGS2 sold 7 million copies. Only games that sold more last gen were Halo 2, the GTA series games, and the GT series games.

and MGS3 sold 4 million. Um, 4 million in sales is pretty damn good, especially when you look at how many games came out for the PS2. Almost 350 alone that scored an 8.0 or better here...

so, uh

Fission Mailed?

ouch? burn?

i predict that halo 3 will sell more at least with kids, because in my school everybody talks about halo 3 and xbox 360 but if i talk about mgs they never heard about it, its prolly more complicated than they can handle anyway, in america atleast.h2owizard

I find it hard to believe that people haven't heard of Metal Gear. It's almost as old as this modern age of gaming. Metal Gear came out in what? '88? '89? The game series has been in every generation since.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#57 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Dreams-Visions

so, uh

Fission Mailed?

ouch? burn?

From what I can recall from cows, their excuse/damage control is that the PS2 had so many great games when MGS3 came out that PS2 gamers were just playing those other games.

Which doesn't makes sense because the PS2's base keeps increasing. A nearly 50% drop in sales is never good, but cows seem to think it's fine.

StealthedRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 StealthedRogue
Member since 2006 • 1341 Posts

Walk up to a random person on the street and ask them what MGS is and they will be like 0.o

Its a great series but it doesnt connect too well with the casuals.

Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts
[QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Yellow_Rose

so, uh

Fission Mailed?

Um, I already explained this in my other post.

MGS3 had ridiculous competition when it released. Again, the PS2 has had almost 350 games earn a score of over 8.0 here. And those are just the "good" games. Crappy games like 50 cent's Bulletproof are still legit competition (that game sold over a million copies). Gamers simply moved on to other games.

Also with MGS3, the wow factor was gone. It had slightly better visuals than the stunning visuals showcased in MGS2 (I'm talking about thieir quality and wowness when MGS2 first released). Visuals drive sales when consoles first release, because if you see groundbreaking visuals, you can convince yourself that the new systems will be that much better and worth getting early and paying a high price for. Its why developers get away with making less than stellar games at the beginning of console generations. You can make a successful game almost solely because of good graphics.

Also, at that point, casuals had already tried out MGS, and if you weren't attracted to MGS2, MGS3 wasn't going to catch your eye because it did nothing to attract new players.

MGS3 also came out near the end of the PS2's lifespan. End of 04. PS3 was originally supposed to launch in early to mid 2006.

And remember this whole discussion started because Wasdie said "The Metal Gear Soild series has never sold really well."

The fact that MGS2 sold 7 million proves that wrong. And the fact that the only other games to outsell it last gen were Halo 2, GTA series and GT series, further proves that to be wrong.

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

MGS is a loyal fan game o.O

its not a game for casuals :P Its a game that is amazing that a loyal user base play.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

LosDaddie

so, uh

Fission Mailed?

ouch? burn?

From what I can recall from cows, their excuse/damage control is that the PS2 had so many great games when MGS3 came out that PS2 gamers were just playing those other games.

Which doesn't makes sense because the PS2's base keeps increasing. A nearly 50% drop in sales is never good, but cows seem to think it's fine.

I wonder how they'd explain the 360's Halo 3 sales. After all, it's not like the 360 has a shortage of AA and AAA software that has just been released.

Ah well.

NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 NavigatorsGhost
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"]

Dreams-Visions

ouch? burn?

Um, I'll do that when you can explain to me why Super Mario Brothers 2 only sold 10 million? I'm not going to compare that to the 40 million figure that the original SMB sold, because I can't honestly tell you how many of those sales came later. But its obvious that it was a significant decrease.

Maybe you can tell me why SMB 3 rebounded and sold 18 million? Or, more importantly why Super Mario World on the SNES sold more (20 million) than either SMB2 or SMB3? Isn't that weird? According to previous games, the series was in decline. So why was it able to do better than its two most recent predecessors? Explain that.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9558 Posts
Many people did buy a PS3 just for this game...
bonethug1213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 bonethug1213
Member since 2005 • 575 Posts
Maybe if Sony does a good job marketing to the casuals as the Halo series has. I know people look at the previous ones and say it hasnt been a system seller but this MGS is alot different most importantly the free roaming camera and third person shooting. Doesent sound like much but alot of people didnt like the shooting aspect of MGS and stayed away from it. My prediction: it'll move systems but not to the magnitude of Halo.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

NavigatorsGhost

so, uh

Fission Mailed?

MGS3 had ridiculous competition when it released. Again, the PS2 has had almost 350 games earn a score of over 8.0 here. And those are just the "good" games. Crappy games like 50 cent's Bulletproof are still legit competition (that game sold over a million copies). Gamers simply moved on to other games.

"Reasons are excuses with parachutes"
-Leigh

The bottom line here, my friend, is that PS2 gamers weren't very interested in the product. They preferred Madden. It's not like the user base didn't buy OTHER major games. God of War sold like hotcakes. So did GoW2.

The real fact is that people simply weren't interested. If a game is good, it'll make its mark. It'll sell well eventually. MGS3 let us know how the masses really felt.

MGS4 should be a whole different ballgame.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#66 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts

It depends in order to sell as well, they would need just as big of a marketing compain.

-Huge budge for marketing on drinks, and other stuff like Halo 3 did

-give free shet to reviews in bags, like Halo 3 did

-Give MG online at half price for all those that bought MGS4.

-Get G4 to set aside the whole day for it.

-creator to give out first copy of game in some big city broadcasting.

-MGS4 needs Coca-Cola to market their drinks and so we can shoot coke cans in the game.

and yea it might come close.

But Halo is a frat boy and pimped face teen circle jerk session and well you can't compete against that.

But yea all games sell systems and MGS4 will sell systems but Killzone 2 will sell more.

etbny22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 etbny22
Member since 2005 • 1697 Posts
MGS4 doesnt really appeal to the casual gamers like halo does.... i dont see it as a system seller.
GP1mil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#68 GP1mil
Member since 2006 • 994 Posts

But Halo is a frat boy and pimped face teen circle jerk session and well you can't compete against that.

caseypayne69

LOL

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Dreams-Visions

It depends in order to sell as well, they would need just as big of a marketing compain.

-Huge budge for marketing on drinks, and other stuff like Halo 3 did

-give free shet to reviews in bags, like Halo 3 did

-Give MG online at half price for all those that bought MGS4.

-Get G4 to set aside the whole day for it.

-creator to give out first copy of game in some big city broadcasting.

-MGS4 needs Coca-Cola to market their drinks and so we can shoot coke cans in the game.

and yea it might come close.

But yea all games sell systems and MGS4 will sell systems but Killzone 2 will sell more.

caseypayne69

Spoken like a true gamer who can't accept that Halo 3 is better than the best game on the console your fanboy alliegances have forced you to purchase...and as such, you can't have it.

At the end of the day, there is no circumstance...no marketing plot that could move 3.3 million units of MGS4 in 2 weeks.

It's just not that kind of game. Wrong genre.

bonethug1213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 bonethug1213
Member since 2005 • 575 Posts

MGS4 doesnt really appeal to the casual gamers like halo does.... i dont see it as a system seller.etbny22

But with the direction the 4th has taken, it could very well appeal to the casual gamer, its all up to the advertisement at this point.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="etbny22"]MGS4 doesnt really appeal to the casual gamers like halo does.... i dont see it as a system seller.bonethug1213

But with the direction the 4th has taken, it could very well appeal to the casual gamer, its all up to the advertisement at this point.

What direction is that? It plays the same as any other MGS game, with a few new options and FPS mode (which probably won't work nearly as well as the standard 3rd person view)

NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 NavigatorsGhost
[QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"][QUOTE="MrEpyx"]

um, when MGS2 came out, the PS2 had a much smaller userbase. A lot smaller. And because of the amount of games and the amount of QUALITY games on the PS2, gamers, for the most part, that bought a PS2 farther down the road (2, 3 years later) did not bother looking at past PS2 games when considering what to buy. Especially since MGS2 did not have multiplayer. Its not like the Halo series, which is still being played by people online years after its inital release. Casuals want the "hip" game, the kind of the thing they can play and/or discuss with their friends. Once the release window on single-player games like MGS2 closes, the sales take a hit, regardless of the quality of the game.

Also, MGS2 is not casual friendly. Casuals might pick up the game when it debuts on a system because they see the awesome graphics and the character kicking ass. But then after they play it, they realize the complex story, long cinematics, and previous lack of multiplayer is not something they like, because those things are not something casuals want. If they do like it, they became MGS fans. Nobody passively follows a series like MGS, you either love it or you don't care about it or hate it.

Your attach rate statistic means absolutely nothing. If you have a game on a system that has sold over 120 million, and it trails only a handful of other games on that platform (GTA - one of the most casual games ever and GT) in sales, you've done something significant.

Why was Halo's (and Halo 2's) attach rate on the Xbox so high? Because it was casual friendly, had multiplayer, and had almost no competition. The Xbox lacked all gametypes, and the PS2 and GC certainly weren't putting out quality FPS games.

Halo has a signifcant sized fanbase now, and since Halo 3 is Microsoft's flagship title, it better have outstanding sales. And again, look at the game's competition in the FPS genre this gen. The best FPS games so far have been because of their single player components (Bioshock, THe Darkness) or have not been on 360 (Resistance). Other than that, you have the Orange Box, which just came out, and is not a casual game.

That is a total garbage reason. You think people refuse to buy games now because they cost 10 dollars more than they did in 2001? Or 20-30 dollars more than in 1997? Thats adjusted for inflation and is dictated by the market. NEWSFLASH: in a 5 year span, COSTS INCREASE. And you do remember when SNES and N64 games were being sold for 50-70 dollars, right?

Dreams-Visions

I respectfully disagree.

1.) MGS is casual friendly. In fact, almsot all games are casual friendly (obvious exceptions being games like Virtua Fighter). The genre this game falls into is just not super popular. As you said, it is a love-or-hate game, just like Splinter Cell...but I'd defeinitly say MGS is more noobish than Splinter Cell (in terms of ease of play). Consider Gran Turismo as a counter-point. It's not n00bish by any means. It's a fairly accurate driving simulator and clealry isn't for the crowd looking to play the next Burnout...yet GT is a SYSTEM SELLER. That's a fact. MGS--and its genre--simply doesn't do it for the masses. That's all there is to it.

That being said, I fully believe MGS4 could be a system-seller, because it may be the first really big PS3 game to hit its hype.

2.) I agree on the overall sales point. But the question that cannot be answered is how many of those sales of MGS2 came at or around its launch? And what kind of sales did it mean for the hardware? That's the critical question in this thread...and nobody has the data to answer it. So we'll talk in circles. :|

3.) Halo and Halo 2's attach rate are a function of the quality of the games themselves. Please remind yourself of the scores of technical achievement awards and GoTY awards those two games took home. Xbox had and has plenty of games. People just knew a quality product when they saw it. Of course, the fact that Halo and Halo 2 are still played online by hundreds of thousands of gamers should be enough to tell you that point was flawed.

4.) Its interesting you'd try to simply dismiss the sales of Halo 3 by simply saying "it should sell like this...", as if to suppose any game in the history of GAMING has EVER sold like this. 3.3 million in a little more than a week? GTHO. Mario is a flagship. Zelda is a flagship. Gordon Freeman is a flagship. "Final Fantasy" is a flagship. "GT" is a flagship. "GTA" is a flagship.

NONE of those games...or any game in their family of games...has ever...EVER so much as touched 1/3 of these sales in their opening MONTHS...never mind their first couple of weeks.

I also find it interesting that you'd consider The Orange Box not casual friendly...as if it does something that makes it difficult to get into :|

MGS is not casual friendly. Until MGS3 Subsistence, it didn't even have multiplayer (which was done half-assed). Mutliplayer is a huge plus for casuals. Think Halo and think Goldeneye 64, two of the most casual friendly games ever made. Why? Because they are so damn accessible, turn the console on and entertain your friends for hours. Halo was just an extension of that, turn on your console, get on Live (something a blind monkey can do) and start playing. Addictive gameplay, tight controls, its fun, its competitive, and its balanced.

MGS is not something you can enjoy, unless you are following the story and actually care about what happens, at least not extensively. As a more recent example, look at Bioshock. A lot of players were disappointed with the game because they played it like any other run-and-gun FPS. They didn't attempt to follow the story, acquire the audio-diaries and try and understand the idea behind Rapture or discover why it failed. They breezed through the game, just trying to get to the next level. The pacing of MGS is slow, people rag on the amount of cinematics all the time, and those are just the hardcore gamers that ***** about it here. The story isn't very accessible either because of its complexity, longetivity, and the fact that it hasn't concluded and answered all the questions yet.

Casuals can't handle that stuff. They want everything explained for them, they want everything to be laid out and easily accomplished. Complex controls, and high difficulty levels are things that turn off casual gamers. They want something that they can "be good at" without putting much time or effort into it.

You know why GT sells so well? To casuals anyway? Its because they see the graphics and the stats for how many cars and tracks are in the game. They have no understanding of what "driving simulation" means. When they boot the game up and realize they have to go through license tests? That turns them off. Having to drive "crappy" and less recognizable cars for the first part of the game? That turns them off. I mean, manual transmission driving alone turns off casuals.

My point about Halo and Halo 2 attach rates is not wrong. I've never said, nor will I, that Halo is a bad game. But the lack of competition certainly did not hurt it. But is that the only reason or the main reason why it did so well? No, of course not. But it certainly affected it. Its by far and away the best console FPS since Goldeneye, of course it will do well in sales. It was the "it" game when it came out, similar to what Goldeneye was for the N64. It filled the void that existed after Goldeneye was gone.

And if you're telling me that Half-Life is not predominantly for hardcore gamers, you're flat out wrong. For starters, its essentially a PC franchise. Casuals gamers do not play PC FPS games online, especially 8 years ago or whenever CS started. Mods do not mix with casual gamers, either. And the Orange Box is primarily a sequel to a game that most gamers, especially casuals, have never even played. Its not like Halo 3, where everyone was exposed to the previous installments.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#73 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
are u ****ing high? metal gear solid 4 will not sell as well as halo 3 did.....mgs series has always been for hardcore fans of the series..
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"][QUOTE="MrEpyx"]

NavigatorsGhost

I respectfully disagree.

MGS is not casual friendly. Until MGS3 Subsistence, it didn't even have multiplayer (which was done half-assed). Mutliplayer is a huge plus for casuals. Think Halo and think Goldeneye 64, two of the most casual friendly games ever made. Why? Because they are so damn accessible, turn the console on and entertain your friends for hours. Halo was just an extension of that, turn on your console, get on Live (something a blind monkey can do) and start playing. Addictive gameplay, tight controls, its fun, its competitive, and its balanced.

MGS is not something you can enjoy, unless you are following the story and actually care about what happens, at least not extensively. As a more recent example, look at Bioshock. A lot of players were disappointed with the game because they played it like any other run-and-gun FPS. They didn't attempt to follow the story, acquire the audio-diaries and try and understand the idea behind Rapture or discover why it failed. They breezed through the game, just trying to get to the next level. The pacing of MGS is slow, people rag on the amount of cinematics all the time, and those are just the hardcore gamers that ***** about it here. The story isn't very accessible either because of its complexity, longetivity, and the fact that it hasn't concluded and answered all the questions yet.

Casuals can't handle that stuff. They want everything explained for them, they want everything to be laid out and easily accomplished. Complex controls, and high difficulty levels are things that turn off casual gamers. They want something that they can "be good at" without putting much time or effort into it.

You know why GT sells so well? To casuals anyway? Its because they see the graphics and the stats for how many cars and tracks are in the game. They have no understanding of what "driving simulation" means. When they boot the game up and realize they have to go through license tests? That turns them off. Having to drive "crappy" and less recognizable cars for the first part of the game? That turns them off. I mean, manual transmission driving alone turns off casuals.

My point about Halo and Halo 2 attach rates is not wrong. I've never said, nor will I, that Halo is a bad game. But the lack of competition certainly did not hurt it. But is that the only reason or the main reason why it did so well? No, of course not. But it certainly affected it. Its by far and away the best console FPS since Goldeneye, of course it will do well in sales. It was the "it" game when it came out, similar to what Goldeneye was for the N64. It filled the void that existed after Goldeneye was gone.

And if you're telling me that Half-Life is not predominantly for hardcore gamers, you're flat out wrong. For starters, its essentially a PC franchise. Casuals gamers do not play PC FPS games online, especially 8 years ago or whenever CS started. Mods do not mix with casual gamers, either. And the Orange Box is primarily a sequel to a game that most gamers, especially casuals, have never even played. Its not like Halo 3, where everyone was exposed to the previous installments.

You know what? I just don't feel like responding right now. I'm tired. Enjoy yourself.

slduncanlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 slduncanlaw
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Nike_Air

Shirley you can't be serious ? I know you can find better sellers out there but to say that it doesn't sell well is laughable. If it was sarcasm , I apologise.

He is serious. And don't call him Shirley.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Dreams-Visions
are u ****ing high? metal gear solid 4 will not sell as well as halo 3 did.....mgs series has always been for hardcore fans of the series..Dante2710
I don't think MGS is terribley hardcore. I'd say it's niche. There's nothing difficult about the gameplay in the slightest.
Sony_Best_Ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Sony_Best_Ps3
Member since 2006 • 157 Posts
idk if MGS4 will sell as much as halo 3 but in know this metal gear solid franchise will always be better then halos
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 NavigatorsGhost
[QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"][QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"][QUOTE="NavigatorsGhost"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Dreams-Visions

so, uh

Fission Mailed?

"Reasons are excuses with parachutes"
-Leigh

The bottom line here, my friend, is that PS2 gamers weren't very interested in the product. They preferred Madden. It's not like the user base didn't buy OTHER major games. God of War sold like hotcakes. So did GoW2.

The real fact is that people simply weren't interested. If a game is good, it'll make its mark. It'll sell well eventually. MGS3 let us know how the masses really felt.

MGS4 should be a whole different ballgame.

They preferred Madden? Really? Thats why both MGS2 and MGS3 each sold more copies than the best-selling version of Madden on the PS2? The highest selling Madden game on PS2, Madden 04, sold 3.5 million copies. Thats well below MGS2 and also trails MGS3. So whats the deal? Especially considering the fact that Madden is also one of the most popular casual-friendly games.

God of War has sold less than 3 million copies. God of War 2, the last time I checked, had sold slightly less than 2 million copies.

So keep throwing popular PS2 games out there, because its not getting you anywhere. The only games that sold more on the PS2 than MGS3 were the GTA series, the GT series, MGS2, FFX, and Kingdom Hearts. So please, stop with this "PS2 gamers weren't very interested in the product."

G10mgs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 G10mgs4
Member since 2007 • 1490 Posts

Wasdie

even if this was true(even thought its far from it)

mgs4 for ps3 will be a big system seller, matter what any one says

NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 NavigatorsGhost

You know what? I just don't feel like responding right now. I'm tired. Enjoy yourself.

Dreams-Visions

Yes, stop now, because you cannot argue the legitimate posts I've made that counter the bs statements you've made.

I was hoping to get a response from the post below /, since you thought it was necessary to comment that I got "burned".

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Yellow_Rose"]

NavigatorsGhost

ouch? burn?

Um, I'll do that when you can explain to me why Super Mario Brothers 2 only sold 10 million? I'm not going to compare that to the 40 million figure that the original SMB sold, because I can't honestly tell you how many of those sales came later. But its obvious that it was a significant decrease.

Maybe you can tell me why SMB 3 rebounded and sold 18 million? Or, more importantly why Super Mario World on the SNES sold more (20 million) than either SMB2 or SMB3? Isn't that weird? According to previous games, the series was in decline. So why was it able to do better than its two most recent predecessors? Explain that.

Guess I won't get to read your response to this either:

NavigatorsGhost

OR THIS:

They preferred Madden? Really? Thats why both MGS2 and MGS3 each sold more copies than the best-selling version of Madden on the PS2? The highest selling Madden game on PS2, Madden 04, sold 3.5 million copies. Thats well below MGS2 and also trails MGS3. So whats the deal? Especially considering the fact that Madden is also one of the most popular casual-friendly games.

God of War has sold less than 3 million copies. God of War 2, the last time I checked, had sold slightly less than 2 million copies.

So keep throwing popular PS2 games out there, because its not getting you anywhere. The only games that sold more on the PS2 than MGS3 were the GTA series, the GT series, MGS2, FFX, and Kingdom Hearts. So please, stop with this "PS2 gamers weren't very interested in the product."

NavigatorsGhost

OWNAGE.

/THREAD

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT.

krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Reyes360

I think it will do well, nothing like Halo 3 though.

yea, i've always heard it has a hardcore fan base but it only sells to that fan base

krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

But yea all games sell systems and MGS4 will sell systems but Killzone 2 will sell more.caseypayne69

yea i'm sure it will... because the first one didn't totally suck...

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Dreams-Visions

lol no, Navigator. actually I didn't read it. sorry. just didn't feel like it. it's 3pm here and I just didn't have the patience. sorry. maybe I'll respond later if I find it worth my time. didn't realize you take the games someone else makes so personally that you found it necessary to type in a larger font (as if making it bigger would make me care more).

lol. sorry bro. maybe someone else will feel like responding if you need a response now.

G10mgs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 G10mgs4
Member since 2007 • 1490 Posts
it could sell like halo3 did, i mean any game would if everyone advertised it like the end of the world like ms did with halo3. hype helps alot to i mean a medicore gamelike halo3 got score like 9s, ms bribing reviews, and paying people
xX0LDSCH00LXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 xX0LDSCH00LXx
Member since 2007 • 1423 Posts
LMFAO!!!
Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#86 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts

Wasdie
what part of MGS1 & 2 selling over 6 millions copies people dont get? and MGS3 sold about 4 million if you count substinence...
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 NavigatorsGhost
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

blazinpuertoroc

what part of MGS1 & 2 selling over 6 millions copies people dont get? and MGS3 sold about 4 million if you count substinence...

apparently people don't understand how many copies the average videogame sells

Avatar image for Uzumaki_Naruto5
Uzumaki_Naruto5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Uzumaki_Naruto5
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25965765&msg_id=294607976#294607976
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#89 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
[QUOTE="Dante2710"]are u ****ing high? metal gear solid 4 will not sell as well as halo 3 did.....mgs series has always been for hardcore fans of the series..Dreams-Visions
I don't think MGS is terribley hardcore. I'd say it's niche. There's nothing difficult about the gameplay in the slightest.

ohh i mean story wise, the majority of them would be lost since they havent play the previous games
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Dante2710"]are u ****ing high? metal gear solid 4 will not sell as well as halo 3 did.....mgs series has always been for hardcore fans of the series..Dante2710

ohh i mean story wise, the majority of them would be lost since they havent play the previous games

definitely a hard-core, killer story. :)

EvilDrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 EvilDrifter
Member since 2004 • 792 Posts

[QUOTE="Dante2710"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Dante2710"]are u ****ing high? metal gear solid 4 will not sell as well as halo 3 did.....mgs series has always been for hardcore fans of the series..Dreams-Visions

Word. The Patriots.

Medjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Medjai
Member since 2003 • 3839 Posts

[QUOTE="InfinityMugen"]MGS2 for PS2 moved consoles. Dreams-Visions

how many? that's the question. unfortunately, you don't have the answer. Again, final sales figures don't show how us the critical answer to this question. The only real evidence would be how many consoles were sold above the average number at or around the months surrounding the launch of MGS2.

Since nobody here has that data, they can only speculate. Speculation != fact.

It wasn't MGS2 alone that pushed consoles

it was the second holiday which is usually when a console starts picking up steam and right at the perfect time Sony brought out its big guns FFX, GTA3, MGS2, THPS3, DMC, SSX Tricky and alot more but thats no less that 6 AAA's...hell look at how many AAA's that had in the first year its ridiculous they timed it all perfectly...

its wasn't MGS2 that pushed consoles it was word of mouth, brand recognition, amazing games, market timing. thats why Sony crushed everyone last gen. They came to market at the perfect time with the right hardware at the right price point and the best gamesand thats all she wrote

and may I add they didn't do that this time around...they came late to market with the wrong price point with the wrong hardware and thought they wouldwin on brand recognition alone well its not happening

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

[QUOTE="InfinityMugen"]MGS2 for PS2 moved consoles. Medjai

how many? that's the question. unfortunately, you don't have the answer. Again, final sales figures don't show how us the critical answer to this question. The only real evidence would be how many consoles were sold above the average number at or around the months surrounding the launch of MGS2.

Since nobody here has that data, they can only speculate. Speculation != fact.

It wasn't MGS2 alone that pushed consoles

it was the second holiday which is usually when a console starts picking up steam and right at the perfect time Sony brought out its big guns FFX, GTA3, MGS2, THPS3, DMC, SSX Tricky and alot more but thats no less that 6 AAA's...hell look at how many AAA's that had in the first year its ridiculous they timed it all perfectly...

its wasn't MGS2 that pushed consoles it was word of mouth, brand recognition, amazing games, market timing. thats why Sony crushed everyone last gen. They came to market at the perfect time with the right hardware at the right price point and the best gamesand thats all she wrote

and may I add they didn't do that this time around...they came late to market with the wrong price point with the wrong hardware and thought they wouldwin on brand recognition alone well its not happening

I would agree...but that can't be used to support the hypothesis that MGS2 sells systems. There is a simpler way to prove it...but nobody can provide the data to create it.

So we'll keep arguing...in circles.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

[QUOTE="Dante2710"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Dante2710"]are u ****ing high? metal gear solid 4 will not sell as well as halo 3 did.....mgs series has always been for hardcore fans of the series..FinalEvil

Word. The Patriots.

The motha frekin Patriots. :D

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#95 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

Lemmings its not coming to the 360 don't lie to yourself you are torturing your soul..

crazegamez

it will probably be ported to 360 later

why wouldn't they do it? it's like free money.

NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 NavigatorsGhost
[QUOTE="crazegamez"]

Lemmings its not coming to the 360 don't lie to yourself you are torturing your soul..

mistervengeance

it will probably be ported to 360 later

why wouldn't they do it? it's like free money.

Cause it costs money? Plus, regardless of what lemmings say, it would require multiple disks.

And they would have to work around the sixaxis controls.

And MGS2 flopped on the original xbox.

Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
Will it boost the PS3's sales. Probably. How much? Probably not that much. There is no where near the same hype that there was/is for Halo 3. I doubt that there will ever be another game with the same hype that Halo 3 had.
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#98 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

I recall a similar thread by Funnysquash. Maybe that's the one you're referring to. I made the same argument in there because he was trying to use certain pieces of fact to create a conclusion that said facts could not support alone.

What fuzzy needed is the same thing this thread needs.

A simple line graph, showing us the sales of PS2's 2 months before MGS launched...and 2 months after MGS launched. It would also have to include any other big games that may have released at the same time (because other games might have also impacted the sales if they were big).

If someone can find PS2 NPD reports from 2001 (or whatever year it was released) and make the chart themselves (or slide me that data), we can settle the matter once and for all.

Dreams-Visions

show me a graph of a Playstation or Playstation 2 sales spike for any Final Fantasy game. Can't?

Then Final Fantasy must not be a system seller :|

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4 will be a significant title, it will help to move some PS3s, but it won't come close to the hype level and attention that Halo 3 received. Let's be serious here.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#100 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts

Halo = always sold extremely well

MGS = always sold okay, but not amazing enough to be a system seller

Keep dreaming, guys.