Predicting your platform of choice for Gen 9.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By misterpmedia

Poll Predicting your platform of choice for Gen 9. (123 votes)

PC 50%
Nintendo 16%
Microsoft/Xbox 11%
Sony 23%

To make this brutal, try to pull back your fanboy foreskin(if your mind allows it) and answer as honest as you can for more visceral discussion.

I'll start: My first platform of choice will more than likely be PC because...

- I will try very very very hard to get excited for anything Nintendo even if they come out with new hardware, like usual, and fail miserably(This considering by the end of this gen I will have bought a WiiU for Bayonetta 2 when it had reached £100 finally). I don't see handhelds existing or if they do they will likely now be a super niche and sell poorly so will likely not buy a gen 9 'DS'. Possible repeat of the WiiU where buying close to the end of its life for the odd interesting third party exclusive.

-Xbox will basically be PC without all the weak ass streaming link between PC and box to keep it relevant. There won't be a new hardware Xbone. So going PC wouldn't make much difference.

-Even though it breaks my heart(lolz) I have a bad feeling a Gen 9 Sony will be streaming only which means I'll be totally skipping that completely, even if they come out with new games. Also same as with Nintendo, Vita will have been the last handheld. So no hardware for Sony on either fronts.

Future seems to be pointing that way IMO.

What say yee, Sestum Worz?!

• 
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Me thinks next gen will be a whole new ballgame for home VG and living room electronic entertainment but suffice to say, where I can find 343, Turn 10 & Rare is where you'll likely find me. :P

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@sts106mat said:

thread of the year so far

I pretty much disqualified any one from posting by saying "don't be a fanboy if you can when replying" so....not so surprising lol.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

Sony, of course. They have been the de facto leader of the industry the past 4 gens.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Impossible to predict. The one that is powerful enough compared to current gen, has dev friendly hardware, more third party support, no mandatory online, no mandatory peripherals that doesn't interest me, etc.

If they all go internet/streaming only, then PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

As of now? No doubt Nintendo, but I'd include a PC if I have time to play the games and building one warrants the cash.

I've been saying how I think Microsoft is leaving the console business of sorts. I still think it is going to happen. HOWEVER, MS likely has patents on its hololens tech. If they introduce that as a sort of living room game center, I can see that taking off.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I'll be Nintendo only assuming 2 things. 1 is that they do go with the rumored unified system with scalable games between hardware. If this happens then their entire handheld library will be playable on the console which will be massive. Wii U would be the King if it could play HD versions of all the 3rd party games 3DS got.

Number 2 is assuming that Sony does abandon consoles and go streaming service. This means that I'll be able to play PS Now and possibly PS5 on Nintendo consoles. It would make it so that Nintendo has about everything a gamer would need. I could even leave PC without much regret.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Microsoft is PC.. Xbox is just going to be an extension of that. Thank god. Cross play, Streaming, recording, Win10, DX12... huge titties in your face with HoloLens.... it's all there baby all in your FACE!

Steam, Origin is NOT Microsoft. They're an App. They are not PC they just happen to be there on a Microsoft Operating System. They could go 100% Linux tomorrow in a closed steam box. PC Gamers shouldn't be called hermits. They all play on a single console / app..... Steam. They should be called SteamPunks.

They call their selves PC gamers... Yet they play all their games in one app... That can be played on Multiple devices. Sounds like a console environment to me?

When the next Steam Sales thread hits... watch what PC gamers do.. Better yet say something bad about Gabe Newell to a so called PC gamer. Watch what they do when you tell them a game is on Origin only.

They're steam punks... It's a closed app... just like a console. You can just upgrade your hardware.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

With all fanboyism aside, noted.

The Xbox ONE will be a gen 9 console once DX12, The Cloud, EsRam and Hololens are fully implemented. A transformation this big can't be kept categorized as gen 8.

Hope this helps!

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#10 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Seems like it's going to be PC again.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Probably PC only because consoles with go Digital Download only, or stream gaming.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Only way i can myself return to consoles fully is if:

- Console actually add more features instead of taking them away, like backwards compatibility, free online with player dedicated servers, any choice of controller, etc.

Sadly, this is extremely unlikely. So, PC will most likely continue to offer me more options.

- PC doesn't get multiplats anymore. If we return to a time were PC stops getting games from 3rd party studios, either late or not at all, then it's going to be though.

However, PC gaming is growing in popularity, and with consoles remaining static, it's probably only going to keep rising. So, i don't see that becoming an issue.

- Somebody takes controll of PC gaming in a way similar to Steam, but with a piece of shit store and more horrible stuff. Basically, GFWL 2.0.

Still, it's also unlikely.

Therfore, i'm almost certain to remain PC oriented next gen. But it's still too early to tell

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 misterpmedia

@PAL360 said:

If they all go internet/streaming only, then PC.

This is pretty much my main primary fear to be honest and would also result me in going PC.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

I wish Sega was still a console producer. Only video game company I could put blind faith in with no questions asked or worries of fuckary attempted on the part their fans.

Seriously, I can't put blind faith in any of the current gen console providers and PC is a safer choice but lacks in the way of high quality exclusive content worth the investment, so for me it's a wait and see afair...may not go with any at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

Only way i can myself return to consoles fully is if:

- Console actually add more features instead of taking them away, like backwards compatibility, free online with player dedicated servers, any choice of controller, etc.

Sadly, this is extremely unlikely. So, PC will most likely continue to offer me more options.

See, I feel the opposite. I think there should be a return to fully custom hardware. Less features, invisible OS unless you need to data manage.

What bothers me about all this digital nonsense is ownership. All the consoles have issues with this. I don't understand how you can buy a game license and hold it hostage to a console. If it is branded like Nintendo or Halo with Xbox--I can see restricting it to its given box. However, in the case of wiiu AND 3ds--that's just bllsht. I'm buying the same license twice. The same goes for 3rd parties across psn and xbox live. I should not have to buy something twice. Things like this encourage piracy, and to be honest if I were to pay for a digital license of a game I'd feel no guilt if I wanted to emulate it down the line.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16  Edited By polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

I never put my faith in any of the three excluding pc, because pc is relatively the same every gen.

As for only consoles, if nintendo releases a hybrid handheld/home console with third party support, ill get that.

If playstation go full streaming like a netflix type system, but with all the new games, but you only have to pay for a controller, a reciever, and a subscription, I'll get that.

I see xbox turning into a "living room pc" that you controller with halolens instead of kinect for web browsing, apps, office, etc. and comes with a controller to play games. Considering what they attempted to do with the xone, i see all the games being digital, incorporate their own version of steam.

I'll get that.

So I'll get all three, but I'll be mostly excited for my imagination of xbox.

CFFAguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CFFAguy
Member since 2005 • 943 Posts

@b4x: My system doesn't have a single part that was made by Microsoft. Just because I use the OS doesn't mean the platform is owned by Microsoft.They don't make any money from me buying games on PC. That's like saying the Xbone is owned by Sony because every Xbone has a blue-ray player in it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

The only truly safe bet is PC, so that's my vote.

Pretty sure I'll get Nintendos next thing as long as their 1st party stays top notch.

I'm sure I'll still be PC/Nintendo/Sony.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 B4X

@CFFAguy said:

@b4x: My system doesn't have a single part that was made by Microsoft. Just because I use the OS doesn't mean the platform is owned by Microsoft.They don't make any money from me buying games on PC. That's like saying the Xbone is owned by Sony because every Xbone has a blue-ray player in it.

Do those parts run magically without that OS? Take Windows off those parts... What are you left with.. a bunch of useless parts..

A lot of The games on steam would not even run on steam without Microsoft Net framework... DX sound.... DX9-11...

Look at the side of any retail PC game... Does it say "it supports my parts?" No operating system required...

Windows is PC.... Steam is an app on a PC operating system.. That could be on any operating system. You would lose functionality in most of your games though. That depend on Microsoft to run.

You have jack shit without Windows.... nothing but garbage. Windows is PC...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Man, SW never fucking ceases to amaze me lol.

Now gaming on a PC is no longer PC gaming.

Loading Video...

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

PC for me, consoles feel less like consoles and more like watered down PCs now.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

If the PS5 has physical content then I'll buy one probably after a price drop. PS4 was the last system I'll preorder. Not because of anything Sony did or didn't do but because I simply don't have a lot of time to game these days. If PS5 is digital streaming only such as PS Now, then I won't bother with one.

I skipped the Wii-U because I hated the Wii so hopefully Nintendo's next hardware will be worth picking up. I'll probably get the next Nintendo for my kids.

I owned the original Xbox for a month and that was enough to convince me it's not worth having. I skipped 360 because of that with no regrets. I'm skipping X1 as well but primarily because I don't have a lot of gaming time. I'd love to play Killer Instinct and there was news they may have a reboot of Battletoads soon enough. X1 gamers have some fun looking games.

I won't bother with any handheld systems that come out.

If I have a decent PC and if PS5 is streaming only, I'll probably become a hermit but I'll use a PS4 controller with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Can I choose multiple systems?

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By B4X

@ConanTheStoner:

When you close yourself in an App.. in a single environment for all your games. That can be played on multiple devices.

WinPC, Mac, Linux, Steam Box.... What would you call it... A PC gamer?

Steam is on Several devices.

If I asked you what a Gaming PC was... What would be the first thing you would pick from this list.

A) PS4

B) Mac

C) Linux

D) Windows

E) Xbox

F) Toaster

G) Android

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 misterpmedia

@Gamerno6666 said:

Can I choose multiple systems?

If you do, maybe choose the first one you'd get and list the rest after. Like from my Shpiel it would be PC then maybe Nintendo's gen 9 device, providing it isn't a hand held.

If you meant on the poll specifically then no. lol

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

All of them again for the 9th gen in a row.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

PS4, it will be the platform that I will play the most. My PC will be running games worse next year for sure. And I'm not really interested in buying better parts. Maybe the ONE for exclusives but that's it. (Wii U my last :/)

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By misterpmedia

@b4x said:

F) Toaster

Wholegrain exclusives.

@speedfog In Gen 9? lol I'm talking about the times AFTER PS4, Bone and Wiiu

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#29 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'm only voting Nintendo because I love their games too much to miss out on any generation.

I'll still be rocking my PC with it.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

PC till the day i die

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

PC, Nintendo, and Sony. Basically anyone but Microsoft unless something absurd happens.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I can't imagine myself purchasing a console in the future. Maybe if consoles games stopped coming to PC I may consider one.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

PC all the way.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

I'll own both a Sony and MS console like i always have, as far as which one will be my main console, its way to early to predict.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

I always end up buying a Nintendo console first.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Depends on exclusives.

If you're a graphics wh*re then you go for PC of course.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Depends on what gen we decide to classify Nintendo as, if the new hardware 2016 rumors are true.

If they indeed do Dreamcast the Wii U, and put out the "Fusion" console next year, will we call it 9th gen, so soon after the 8th gen started? Or will it be a special case, a do-over if you will, and still count it as 8th gen?

My answer depends on that, and if the next Zelda's development is shifted to it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Most likely PC, as it's been for quite some time

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Same as it has been every 'generation' since 1990

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

PC has all ways provided me with the most enjoyment out of all other platforms.

PS4 and xboxone has had a pretty terrible start this generation with games. I am rather disappointed in both platforms. It seems like they are content in making 2013-2014-2015 lack luster in terms of exclusives. I think I am going to avoid buying first year consoles.

I am surprised to see that PC is so far ahead. These boards don't typically suggest a favoring towards the PC platform. If anything, the platform is constantly ignored in exclusive debates.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@b4x said:

@ConanTheStoner:

When you close yourself in an App.. in a single environment for all your games. That can be played on multiple devices.

If I asked you what a Gaming PC was... What would be the first thing you would pick from this list.

A) PS4

B) Mac

C) Linux

D) Windows

E) Xbox

F) Toaster

G) Android

A personal computer, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT FUCKING MEANS lol

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@daious said:

I am surprised to see that PC is so far ahead. These boards don't typically suggest a favoring towards the PC platform.

Joking? I've seen the opposite over the last year. SW seems to favourite PC and Nintendo above either Sony or MS

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@daious said:

I am surprised to see that PC is so far ahead. These boards don't typically suggest a favoring towards the PC platform.

Joking? I've seen the opposite over the last year. SW seems to favourite PC and Nintendo above either Sony or MS

I guess I missed the memo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#44 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Dude, it's impossible to tell. These things change from generation to generation, and even within generation, as we saw last time around.

I will tell you that I will be most inclined towards Nintendo and PlayStation as usual, but everything is subject to change based on exactly how much of my needs these companies are catering to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#45 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

If things continue as they are now: PC.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@b4x said:

@ConanTheStoner:

A) PS4

B) Mac

C) Linux

D) Windows

E) Xbox

F) Toaster

G) Android

Don't start this

It's been settled around here. PC is a single system/platform

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

I won't be forgetting anything Microsoft tried to pull this gen. Assuming that doesn't happen all around next gen I'll be going with PS5/Nintendo console and/or PC.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By B4X

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@b4x said:

@ConanTheStoner:

A) PS4

B) Mac

C) Linux

D) Windows

E) Xbox

F) Toaster

G) Android

A personal computer, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT FUCKING MEANS lol

You ain't getting off that easy. :D

If I told you I had a Gaming Rig. What would you pick off that list?

Personal Computer...... What's that, that doesn't tell me anything. That could be a calculator. It processes information after all.

What OS do you play your "closed steam app" games on, that runs on the operating systems tools. That without those tools half the games are coasters.

It's a simple question.

EDIT: Also what does it say in the System Requirements on the games, in order to play those games?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#49 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@b4x: I don't know man, I play games on my Mac :D

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By B4X

@charizard1605 said:

@b4x: I don't know man, I play games on my Mac :D

I have never have heard the Mac be called a Gaming rig or PC either. I think it is referred to by name "Mac".

Apples own commercials can clear that up quick. :p

Mac vs PC

I believe that was their slogan.

Loading Video...