PoS4 HDD replacement question.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I ask here because if I do it in the PS forum nobody is going to answer, those sections are almost dead. I have my vanilla PS4, shortly after I purchased the vanilla I had the HDD upgraded to a 2 TB ( before the update that made the PS4 accept external storage ), now I’m thinking about replacing the vanilla for another slim ( I already have one ), I just got bored from all that “jet about to take off” noise that comes out of the vanilla PS4; the question is, can I just pull out the 2 TB HDD from the vanilla and insert it in the new slim without having to do anything else ( like installing firmware and all that stuff ) ?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

No.

It will format the drive.

Either data transfer between consoles, or DL everything.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Get PS+ and back up all your saves on the cloud first. You get 10GB which is plenty for all your saves.

The PS4 will be reformatted and you will need to redownload and install everything again.

Or you could transfer all your installs to a Portable HDD, stick the 2TB into the new PS4, reformat and then transfer from portable HDD back to the 2TB.

Either way, you are still going to be waiting awhile to get this all done.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By raugutcon

Damn, I was hoping I didn’t have to go through all that. Now the problem is going to be that the HDD in the slim has less capacity than the one in the vanilla.

Thx for replying.

Another question, can I just pull out the HDD in the vanilla, put it in a case and plug it to the slim as external device without having to transfer anything ?

When I upgraded my Xbox Fat to the Slim I just unplugged the external HDD from the fat, plugged it to the slim and had no problems.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ant_17

@raugutcon: Not sure.

It might still format it.

The PS3 was being hacked by these methods, so PS4 is more strick on what you do with hard drives.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

@raugutcon: I honestly don’t know the answer to that one. I have not heard anyone doing that.

All I can confirm is transfers from console to console or console to External Portable HDD back to console.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Neither my vanilla PS4 or my PS4 pro ever sounded like a “jet about to take off”. Maybe don’t breathe out your Cheeto dust near where you keep your PS4, which I’m assuming is in some gross crevice of your neckbeard nest

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 raugutcon

@pdogg93: what the fvck is wrong with you ?

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

didnt PS4 allow you to transfer stuff to new PS4 via USB stick?

that way you could swap the HDD then install your old data (saves, trophies) back to it from the USB stick.

BTW, trophies are automatically saved to cloud, so youre safe there not matter how you go.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@pdogg93 said:

Neither my vanilla PS4 or my PS4 pro ever sounded like a “jet about to take off”. Maybe don’t breathe out your Cheeto dust near where you keep your PS4, which I’m assuming is in some gross crevice of your neckbeard nest

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Loud+PS4

They're known to be loud, I'm starting to assume the defective units are the ones that don't make a sound :P :P :P My first PS4 is unplayable at this point, when I opened it there was very little dust inside, then I changed the thermal paste on the processor, didn't do ****!

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@Epak_: My PS4 is virtually silent but only when I play physical games it gets loud some times. I've had a PlayStation console since PS2 and they have all been very quiet with this exception of physical games on PS4. All my Xboxes have been loud and I've had all 3.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xeRqQ3XI_Gc

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 raugutcon

@ButDuuude: mine is PS2 fat loud and that thing was loud, X360 fat was loud, X360 slim and E are not loud nor X1/X1S. PS4S is much quieter reason why I’m going to dump my son’s PS4 fat.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

You can backup your saves on a flashdrive, no need for ps+

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ant_17

@ButDuuude said:

@Epak_: My PS4 is virtually silent but only when I play physical games it gets loud some times. I've had a PlayStation console since PS2 and they have all been very quiet with this exception of physical games on PS4. All my Xboxes have been loud and I've had all 3.

My PS4 gets loud with CD games just for 20 seconds then it is silent.

Also, PS2 is super loud when i play 2 games.

ONI and Smuglers Run

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

@raugutcon: if the internal HDD has the firmware installed and the external is on ps4's format, yes, I think you can.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Epak_
@ButDuuude said:

Wish my PRO was silent, it's not as bad as my old PS4. All my Xboxes have been pretty much silent (3 dif SKUs of Xbox One), current X does kick up its fans every now and then though, especially if the game is native 4k. Felt pretty weird the first time I heard it though :D It had been completely silent until I played RotR.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@Epak_ said:
@ButDuuude said:

Wish my PRO was silent, it's not as bad as my old PS4. All my Xboxes have been pretty much silent (3 dif SKUs of Xbox One), current X does kick up its fans every now and then though, especially if the game is native 4k. Felt pretty weird the first time I heard it though :D It had been completely silent until I played RotR.

Yeah I can very slightly hear my X when it's a really demanding game, but most of the time it's dead silent. Pretty impressive for it's size.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Epak_

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Epak_ said:
@ButDuuude said:

Yeah I can very slightly hear my X when it's a really demanding game, but most of the time it's dead silent. Pretty impressive for it's size.

It is and IMO fan noise is something consoles should have very little in the first place, gets really annoying after a while.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@Epak_ said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Epak_ said:
@ButDuuude said:

It is and IMO fan noise is something consoles should have very little in the first place, gets really annoying after a while.

Absolutely... I can't believe how loud my cousin's PS4 Pro gets. You can hear it over the TV. Ridiculous.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 raugutcon

@Epak_: I concur, consoles should be silent.