Polygon: Microsoft is looking into acquiring Electronic Arts - Says reliable source close to Microsoft

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By airraidjet
Member since 2006 • 834 Posts

HOLY $$$SHIT if this is true.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16930892/xbox-one-exclusive-games-analysis-microsoft

Some of the names being thrown around as possible acquisitions by Microsoft are, frankly, astounding, even unthinkable. But the fact that they are doing the rounds is instructive. The most recent one we heard (from a reliable source close to Microsoft) was, in fact, Electronic Arts. We also heard a whisper about Valve and about Korean outfit PUBG Corp., which Microsoft last year signed to a timed exclusive for its hit survival shooter, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Two of the greediest companies on earth it's almost as if they were made for each other.

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By airraidjet
Member since 2006 • 834 Posts

Thread over on the ResetEra forum:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/polygon-microsoft-is-looking-into-acquiring-ea-says-reliable-source-close-to-microsoft-and-others.19654/

And also on NeoGAF:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rumour-polygon-microsoft-is-looking-to-purchase-ea-valve-or-pubg.1460779/

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@jdc6305 said:

Two of the greediest companies on earth it's almost as if they were made for each other.

Who else isn't the greediest? All companies are.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Wow, people should be seriously worried about them buying up Valve. They will **** it up somehow, even if it prints money.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@jdc6305 said:

Yeah because corporations are people too right?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Good for them.

I kinda predicted they would take this path (getting into actually making games again) and I predicted they would do it by buying other companies. I dont think the latter is a good idea. I do think they should get into making games again BUT I think they should not buy other companies to do that. They should learn how, what, and why of gaming and do it themselves (again) instead of calling on EA and asking them what gaming is all about.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

But... But.. But... I thought Microsoft was trying to get out of the gaming market?!? ROFLMAO! That is some crazy ass news if it is true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Have my doubts about the veracity of this just because acquiring EA makes little sense to me. Valve, on the other hand, due to how they own PC gaming, makes perfect sense. And so does PUBG. But again, EA? I just don't see it, unless they are on full predatory mode.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@jdc6305 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@jdc6305 said:

You think Nintendo and Sony aren't greedy? Same for Apple, Google, Facebook, and all other tech companies? Which Corporates aren't greedy?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TryIt

@Xabiss said:

But... But.. But... I thought Microsoft was trying to get out of the gaming market?!? ROFLMAO! That is some crazy ass news if it is true.

where did 'they are trying to get out of the gaming business' come from?

I think many peoples take is this: MS EITHER A. get out of gaming or B. remove your head from you A and do it right...like you used to.

They used to MAKE video games. that is when they where good

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@jdc6305 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@jdc6305 said:

You think Nintendo and Sony aren't greedy? Same for Apple, Google, Facebook, and all other tech companies? Which Corporates aren't greedy?

Every company is greedy and wants to be number one. That is called BUSINESS! I always hate when someone says a corporation is greedy. They are all greedy!

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#13 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

This is obviously bullshit as Microsoft sells no Xboxes therefore has no money to buy anything.

DEBUNKED.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

@kaealy: I dunno... maybe if that happened, they could bring Half-Life 3 (Or the entire franchise a reboot). Because Valve clearly doesn't want to even bother with it it seems. They had their chance (over a decade) and they blew it.

About MS acquiring EA... perhaps they could make Need For Speed actually worth playing again.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FireEmblem_Man

@Xabiss said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@jdc6305 said:

Every company is greedy and wants to be number one. That is called BUSINESS! I always hate when someone says a corporation is greedy. They are all greedy!

Exactly! There is no such thing as a corporation that gives charity to consumers.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

@Sam3231 said:

This is obviously bullshit as Microsoft sells no Xboxes therefore has no money to buy anything.

DEBUNKED.

Microsoft has no money :)

This made me laugh out loud.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11091 Posts

Will wait and see. I doubt it, but it would be quite the nuclear tantrum.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TryIt

@Xabiss said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@jdc6305 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

that is not accurate.

what is accurate however is that public traded companies are pretty much legally required to try and make as much money as posisble and put that above all other priorities

however private companies can (and do) have their own charters which might not even have making money as a primary goal.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I’ll take this rumor with a grain of salt. MS has very little to gain from buying EA. Disney and FIFA would never allow their licenses to be exclusive to Xbox.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

Phil Spencer getting right to business in the wake of his promotion.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@jdc6305 said:

What is so greedy about MS?

Bill Gates gives more to Poor Countries and Cancer Foundations than anyone else or any other Company in the World and he does it with money earned from MS.

Back to Topic.

I personally think it's dumb to invest 40 Billion in EA, a multiplat company.

MS could save 35 Billion and buy All 3 of Pub G, Sega and Capcom and put them to work on Exclusives.

Make Sonic important again, bring back Phantasy Star, Shinobi, VF, Power Stone, Altered Beasts, Yakuza, Shenmue, etc. Capcom has a bunch of games they could bring too. Including all their fighters, Monster Hunter as an Exclusive, Strider, DMC, RE and tons of others. This would make the hell of a lot more sense than dumping 40 Billion in companies who's value is in selling games across ALL platforms.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

They're perfect for each other. It's a match made in Heaven. Loot Box Heaven that is lol

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

@jdc6305 said:

Wish i could upvote this XD LUL OmegaLUL

Honestly, nothing good will come out of this. RIP all those already milked EA games

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TryIt

@EG101 said:
@jdc6305 said:

Bill Gates gives more to Poor Countries and Cancer Foundations than anyone else or any other Company in the World and he does it with money earned from MS.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Ballmer F uped the company biggly.

I think there is a chance gaming on the so called AAA side of things would have been more innovative if Bill was in charge longer

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Would be a great purchase for MS, EA Sports would def.benefit from this . I know MS acquired PlayFab today which looks like it will help out its smaller teams develop games while helping to bolster its cloud computing services in general.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

Microsoft should have been smart enough to buy the rights for Mass Effect and Titanfall from the get-go. Would have been less expensive than buying EA, if the rumors are true, Microsoft could make a fortune bringing back the Command & Conquer series. That be a huge surprise!

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Go for valve or minecraft PUBG. Steam would be a true playanywhere for Xbox. It would truly help that push. Spencer went to Japan to tell them if it's on pc and console it should at least be playanywhere. Japan still says nope it's Steam and Ps4 or even Switch eh Vita too just not Xbox lol.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

It's pretty obvious where this is going. Microsoft is wanting to become the Netflix of the Video Game industry and to do that you need content, Microsoft buying EA is a great way to do. How this plays out is that.

• Microsoft releases MS and EA games on Game pass day 1.
  • Microsoft keeps Game Pass on Xbox consoles, Xbox users pay only $10 a month for all EA games.
  • Sony users will need to pay full price ($60) on all EA games.
  • Consumer flock to Xbox consoles for Game Pass.
  • Game Pass comes to PC.

I Think MS realizes that the killer exclusive is not games specifically, but the services, and having Game Pass exclusive on XB consoles and Windows 10/Origin is a great way to compete against Steam and Sony. You need to constantly buy/make companies to make Netflix model work. Sony, Nintendo and Valve don't have that money to make it work.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

The money can be better spent elsewhere but many thought the purchase of Mojang was bad but it netted MS a decent profit.

GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GiveMeSomething

@daniel_su123 said:

It's pretty obvious where this is going. Microsoft is wanting to become the Netflix of the Video Game industry and to do that you need content, Microsoft buying EA is a great way to do. How this plays out is that.

• Microsoft releases MS and EA games on Game pass day 1.
  • Microsoft keeps Game Pass on Xbox consoles, Xbox users pay only $10 a month for all EA games.
  • Sony users will need to pay full price ($60) on all EA games.
  • Consumer flock to Xbox consoles for Game Pass.

Sounds good on paper, but you need good games first for that. And those dont exist in EA, LUL. So yeah, I hope MS really buys EA, its suicide :)

mecha_frieza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mecha_frieza
Member since 2007 • 1305 Posts

If Microsoft buys EA and that is a big if, then I am willing to bet that Disney will end their Star Wars deal. If EA is the only company allowed to make Star Wars games and if MS owns them then all of the Star Wars games are going to come out on PC and XBox, but not PS4 which is dumb because the bigger market is probably Sony.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@tryit said:
@EG101 said:
@jdc6305 said:

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Ballmer F uped the company biggly.

I think there is a chance gaming on the so called AAA side of things would have been more innovative if Bill was in charge longer

I agree.

Good thing Nadella is now the CEO and so far has tried to turn this ship 180 degrees.

xmanfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xmanfan91
Member since 2012 • 481 Posts

You gotta be extremely naive to believe this ever happening.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@jdc6305 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@jdc6305 said:

You do understand that ALL companies are greedy right? That's pretty much his point since you seem to single out MS and EA as if all others are guilty as well.

GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GiveMeSomething

@kingtito said:
@jdc6305 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@jdc6305 said:

You do understand that ALL companies are greedy right? That's pretty much his point since you seem to single out MS and EA as if all others are guilty as well.

May be the word is not "greedy" (although i do think it really is). Could probably use predatory, abusive, etc instead

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Daniel_Su123

@GiveMeSomething: Agreed. However it's hard to deny the Netflix model is a HUGE disruptor and will likely disrupt the Game Industry and effect Console sales.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@Sam3231 said:

DEBUNKED.

They make the most money from their corporate enviroment.

Anyways. If they bought valve, well gaming would change drastically.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@airraidjet: lol no Microsoft already bought a certain developer and look at what they turned out to be after the fact

If we thought ea was bad now just wait til Microsoft gets thier hands in

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@jdc6305 said:

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I’m kind of sceptical about this happening but if it does then the meltdowns on the Internet will be absolutely INSANE.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@quadknight said:

I’ll take this rumor with a grain of salt. MS has very little to gain from buying EA. Disney and FIFA would never allow their licenses to be exclusive to Xbox.

Funny thing is EA's contract with FIFA put the game on Switch/Wii U as they are contracted to release at least one FIFA game on each platform

GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GiveMeSomething

@daniel_su123: I pray god that never happens. Quality of games would be even trashier. And Netflix is successful cuz it has so many platforms. Theyd need to share games between devices (PC and xbox in this case)

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Microsoft wont spend $35-40 billion on EA.

Why? Because Microsoft wont even spend a couple million on their own exclusive games. They have no budget now for games and you think they will buy EA? LOL

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Daniel_Su123

@GiveMeSomething said:

@daniel_su123: I pray god that never happens. Quality of games would be even trashier. And Netflix is successful cuz it has so many platforms. Theyd need to share games between devices (PC and xbox in this case)

Yes, Game Pass will be on many platforms, however since Sony is resistant on things like EA Access, it's their loss since majority of consumers will flock to Xbox to play EA/MS games at a cheap monthly fee than to flock to PS to pay full price.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#46 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

If this story is true I hope everyone would be fine with exclusives from EA since specific gamers have been begging for it.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FireEmblem_Man

@metalboi said:

They're made for each other.

You're right, that means that the Next Xbox will dominate sales chart in Gen 9 all for Madden and FIFA

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Daniel_Su123

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@metalboi said:

You're right, that means that the Next Xbox will dominate sales chart in Gen 9 all for Madden and FIFA

I agree with this. It'll be hard for Sony to compete against getting Madden and FIFA on Game Pass at $10 a month VS full price and PSN.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FireEmblem_Man

@metalboi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@metalboi said:

It'll be brotastic!

Nothing wrong with being a "Bro" console, not sure why you hate "Bro" people for.