POLL xbox 2 cheap "streaming box" is xbox one S "Plus" without disc drive bundled with next gen controller.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll POLL xbox 2 cheap "streaming box" is xbox one S "Plus" without disc drive bundled with next gen controller. (28 votes)

probably 25%
unlikely 75%

Do you think the "XBOX 2's" cheap streaming console box is basically going to be:

1.) An updated Xbox One S with slightly better network hardware and in a much smaller body.

2.) Discless.

3.) Packaged with the XBOX 2's Next Gen Controller.

4.) Won't locally play most of "XBOX 2's" new games with good 3D graphics.

• 
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

lolno and lolwat

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

It sounds very possible if Xcloud works out.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts
@Nonstop-Madness said:

It sounds very possible if Xcloud works out.

Even if it doesn't it can be a standalone cheap Xbox One machine IF xbox 2's next gen controller isn't drastically different and at a much lower price.

It might be very potent if they get this kind of machine down to $ 99-129 MSRP and maybe bundle in a few months of GamePass, etc.

I do think that even if the Xbox 2 controller is quite different, MS will find a way that the design is a good b/c to the old xbox one controllers.

MS seems to be also superior to other non gaming features like hdmi device addons, etc. and I wouldn't be surprised if they start becoming more aggressive with non gaming integations (apps, programs, features, services, better/larger m/k support) around the time Xbox 2's about to roll out.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Very affordable which is the big point to be had. No disc drive will take the price down considerably I'd say if it can be sold at £149.99 it could be a success.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

All Sony and Microsoft consoles are just an upgraded version of the previous one. Basically just a small form pc without the benefits of true BC. Looks like Microsoft is finally starting to do it right though and can have a massive back library soon. I’ll be getting one next gen if it proves to be bc from the OG Xbox to the newest one. Sony should really consider figuring out the bc game cuz there are some great ps2/ps3 titles out there that would be great upscaled on a new console.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I can't help but feel that this is, more or less, another one of those "half generation" deals like the more premium examples of this gen's consoles are, except a step in the other direction (value, instead of enthusiast).

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

@rzxv04: I don't think they'll ever be able to get the X1 to sub $150. They'd need another die shrink, and I don't think AMD is willing to do that for them.

@robert_sparkes: A UHD disc drive cost like $30 tops. It won't trim costs to sub 200.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness: but it also includes licensing of Blu Ray which I heard along with the disc drive cost up to $80-100

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

Since the original Xbox One was designed around the Cloud shouldn't every XB1 Console already be a Cloud Box?

My take is the Cloud Xbox will be a 7NM XB1S without an Optical Media drive and smaller Hard drive. MS could probably sell these for $99 without losing any money.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Why have components to run games locally if the principal purpose of the device is for cloud-based streaming?

It would be unnecessarily wasteful to do so. I can conjure imaginative scenarios where it might be sensible, but the likelihood of such are virtually zero.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@Basinboy: because the rumored Scarlett Streaming device does have local components that help reduce lantency, but the game itself is rendered and streamed via the Cloud.

So in this case all Xbox consoles will be able to use XCloud to stream next Gen games.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

It’s just an Xbox One S without a disc drive.....it’s pretty much useless

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

@rzxv04: I don't think they'll ever be able to get the X1 to sub $150. They'd need another die shrink, and I don't think AMD is willing to do that for them.

@robert_sparkes: A UHD disc drive cost like $30 tops. It won't trim costs to sub 200.

There not just going to remove the drive, smaller PC board with hardware removed, smaller case, smaller power supply. All this will drop the cost of the console.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Why would MS waste revealing their next controller design on this SKU? Doesn't jive. Keep the ace up the sleeve for their real next gen hardware.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rzxv04

@shellcase86 said:

Why would MS waste revealing their next controller design on this SKU? Doesn't jive. Keep the ace up the sleeve for their real next gen hardware.

This doesn't have to be the rumored 2019 discless xb1.

@rrjim1 said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

There not just going to remove the drive, smaller PC board with hardware removed, smaller case, smaller power supply. All this will drop the cost of the console.

Smaller package, lighter weight, cheaper freight, less space in store.

It's just as any service. AMD will charge if a die shrink is needed and/or a new custom design of the chip(s).

@Basinboy said:

Why have components to run games locally if the principal purpose of the device is for cloud-based streaming?

It would be unnecessarily wasteful to do so. I can conjure imaginative scenarios where it might be sensible, but the likelihood of such are virtually zero.

Because it's still a relatively cheap hardware that's a trojan in a living room into the xbox ecosystem that also promotes digital and possibly new features that we don't have yet on the current One S (future apps/features more for the next gen). It can also effectively act as the final few and cheaper SKUs of this gen's Xbox but might look more officially part of the next gen "family".

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@rzxv04:True. I was assuming. And when you assume...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Just because it doesn't have an optical drive doesn't mean it's a streaming device It's just for people that want to buy digitally and use gamepass.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

What's to say it'll have new next gen controller right away? Next gen is supposed to have streaming option for non-local play, I would just assume all XB1 units can do this, and if they do eventually get a new controller that would be packed into future SKUs, or people can go buy one and plug it in, in meantime I'd imagine it would work like current XB1 like how it would work for me who does everything digitally.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

That’s a pretty sure thing “no” on a new controller. This will just be an Xbox1s with no drive in it. Combining this little device with Gamepass would be really appealing to me if it came out earlier this gen. I think this is a solid move from Microsoft.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rzxv04

@vaidream45 said:

That’s a pretty sure thing “no” on a new controller. This will just be an Xbox1s with no drive in it. Combining this little device with Gamepass would be really appealing to me if it came out earlier this gen. I think this is a solid move from Microsoft.

I think it has mass appeal if they do really bundle in a subscription and at an aggressive price point.