Pokemon Direct tomorrow at 6AM PST (7 minutes, Gen 8?)

• 101 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56216 Posts

@techhog89 said:
@davillain- said:

@techhog89: I don't know about you but I been playing Pokemon since 1998, I been following GameFreak for decades and yes, they done some improvements here and their but they are still lazy but either way, I'm still playing Pokemon and I just accept what they do. Play it safe and that's about it.

Edit: If it makes you feel better, they did a really good job with making Tembo the Badass Elephant and yeah, maybe they aren't lazy after all.

Fine. So what kinds of changes do you think they need, keeping in mind that they can't really afford to have a cycle longer than 3-4 years? Or should they restructure the entire franchise so it can go a long time without new games?

As I said in my previous post, I'm not asking much, I'm not looking for a Pokemon open-world game, not on Monster Hunter's level mind you. I will say this.

I want Gen 8 to be far less hand-holding and more freedom just to walk around and stuff. Bring back the jackass rivals and that's about it. Not like I'm asking GameFreak to do much but I'm okay whatever we'll end up with, just more freedom is all I ask & the jackass rival attitude.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1077 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Lol, that's proof right there that Game freak can't please everybody.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#103 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19582 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@Jag85: I respectfully disagree about the games not being important for the franchise to boost more money. I do agree that all the merchandise, anime, and the upcoming movie are a driving force. But the Main Games are still important. For Pokemon to continue selling more toys, cards, and push the anime, they still need the main games to introduce NEW Pokemon.

Disney pushing for the Star Wars films is to ensure that they can make new merchandise and grow the franchise that would bring in new characters. Sadly, they've pushed the Franchise too fast compared to the older movies.

Of course the games are important. They're still the heart of the franchise, as all the other media and merchandise are based on the games. Whenever a new game launches, it's followed-up with a new anime season, anime movie, set of cards, line of toys, manga chapters, new books, etc. That's why I said the games serve as the launching pad for all the other stuff in the franchise. Pokemon Go had a similar effect, and Detective Pikachu will likely have a similar effect as well. But ultimately, it's the core mainline games that are the driving force of the franchise. In that sense, they're the most important part of the franchise, even if they account for only a small fraction of the overall revenue, since the rest of the franchise is dependent upon them.

Star Wars follows a similar business model in the sense that the movies serve as a launching pad for a slew of other media and merchandise, the same way the games do for Pokemon. There was a big Star Wars boom after The Force Awakens released, and continued with Rogue One, before the franchise ultimately stumbled with The Last Jedi, which turned out to be a risky move that alienated a large part of its core fanbase. It may not be in Pokemon's best interests to take a similar risk that could potentially alienate a large part of its core fanbase. Maybe because Pokemon plays it relatively safe, it hasn't declined like Star Wars has in recent years.