Playstation only 21 million subscribers is Sony losing?

• 122 results
loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

I was talking with a guy the other day about this. Is Sony really doing that great when potentially more then half the userbase has never gone online, or played multiplayer or purchased a game or dlc or product from a third party studio? How do we accurately judge Sony success and what metric are third party studio using to know if Sony is the better company for them profit wise?

Xbox one the otherhand is sold as online console for multiplayer and they userbase the majority are liking playing games online and buying DLC..

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

Maybe it's because Sony's base is more diverse, attracting players that are more interested in Sony's single player games while playing multiplayer, if they even do, on other platforms? I wouldn't call that losing, especially if there are more people buying the games.

Can you throw up a link to where you saw it was at 21 Million? And what about Xbox in comparison?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

Is that for PSN Plus?

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#4 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Look at how Sony games are stocked in stores. I think that tells you who the retailer thinks is doing better.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

links for numbers? and how is xbone doing?

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

can we atleast link the numbers

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By loe12k

@Chutebox said:

Is that for PSN Plus?

Yes and i think it includes the PS3 Sony never clarified. Sony just said 21 million users have a subscription. Since you need to pay to play online on PS4 it shows Sony success is mostly on the hardware side. Not saying 21 million subs is bad, but they are losing out when half of the userbase or more don't jump online.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 loe12k

@aigis said:

360 and xbox one always had subscriptions to play online. Don't know the numbers but likely to be higher for the xbox.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

one would assume higher % of xbox users also pay for live given where the console console is more popular

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

21 mill subs still sounds like a ton

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69520 Posts

I was not aware that 21 million subscribers is bad. I must live in a different universe.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By aigis

@loe12k said:
@aigis said:

360 and xbox one always had subscriptions to play online. Don't know the numbers but likely to be higher for the xbox.

.... So nothing?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I play only SP and offline games on consoles, Diablo3 was only reason i started with PSN+. I dont play diablo3 on consoles anymore because cheaters, but still have PSN+, for free games i guess. I never buy DLCs, lol. I buy all my console games on physical disc version. That day consoles goes Digital Download only is the generation i stop with consoles all together and just go 100% PC

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

http://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-live-now-boasts-48-million-active-users-39-million-last-quarter

wonder where it's at now

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 loe12k

@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@aigis said:

.... So nothing?

Well yes i don't work for MS, but you have to pay on 360 to game online. And MS said a couple of years back they had 40 million xbox 360 gold members. They had subscriptions. Sony only at 21 million for PS3 and PS4

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 loe12k

@Pedro said:

I was not aware that 21 million subscribers is bad. I must live in a different universe.

Its not bad but they are losing out on revenue if you consider how popular DLC is today. And how many people are buying Battlefield 4 for the single player?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro  Online

@loe12k said:

Well yes i don't work for MS, but you have to pay on 360 to game online. And MS said a couple of years back they had 40 million xbox 360 gold members. They had subscriptions. Sony only at 21 million for PS3 and PS4

I still don't see the problem.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aigis

Ok so after actually doing research on this. Sony does have 21 million PS Plus subs, and 60 million active users. MS has not released their xbox live subs, and have 48 million subs.

So PS+ has an extra 12 million active users and if MS isnt releasing xbox live subs it cant be great considering xbone has sold around 18 million units.

Source

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

You don't need a PS+ subscription for anything in PS3, you need a PS+ subscription for playing on-line in PS4 but not for purchases, you need a Xbox Live subscription for everything in anything Xbox related ( to make purchases or going on-line )

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 loe12k

@Pedro said:
@loe12k said:

I still don't see the problem.

Sony would have more revenue coming in and that benefits Playstation gamers in the long run. Sony would have bigger budget if gamers went online and thats just a fact.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aigis

@loe12k said:
@Pedro said:

Its not bad but they are losing out on revenue if you consider how popular DLC is today. And how many people are buying Battlefield 4 for the single player?

you dont need a plus account to get dlc. Plus is for multiplayer mostly

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 loe12k

@stereointegrity said:

can we atleast link the numbers

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/06/29/nearly-21-million-playstation-plus-subscribers-sony-reveals/

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 loe12k

@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@Pedro said:

DLC is mostly multiplayer content and its kind of pointless downloading it if you can on PS4?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 aigis

@loe12k said:
@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@Pedro said:

DLC is mostly multiplayer content and its kind of pointless downloading it if you can on PS4?

I dont know where you got that from, there is plenty of sp dlc

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro  Online

@loe12k said:

Sony would have more revenue coming in and that benefits Playstation gamers in the long run. Sony would have bigger budget if gamers went online and thats just a fact.

Anyone would have more revenue if more people subscribe to their service but that doesn't mean that everyone will. They have 21 million paying customers that they did not have previously. I don't see the problem. Sony doesn't see a problem. So there is no problem. Sony is doing fine with their current subscribed user base.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@loe12k said:

I was talking with a guy the other day about this. Is Sony really doing that great when potentially more then half the userbase has never gone online, or played multiplayer or purchased a game or dlc or product from a third party studio? How do we accurately judge Sony success and what metric are third party studio using to know if Sony is the better company for them profit wise?

Xbox one the otherhand is sold as online console for multiplayer and they userbase the majority are liking playing games online and buying DLC..

Since when 21million users that paying more or less 50 per year each the least is fail ? We talking about OVER a billion per year with this userbase.

I lol'ed with your logic when Sony makes a billion out of this yet you question if this is a success or not ! Even half of that is a success ! We are talking about an overwhelming amount of money generation. And thats just from the SUBS alone , aside anything else all those PSN users might spend money on !

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 loe12k

@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@Pedro said:

Come on you know most third party dlc is multiplayer, SP dlc is rare. This may well explain why Sony does not include multiplayer with its first party games? They know half the userbase don't care and it may be waste of resources pumping money into an online experience when people will not buy their first party games for that online experience.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By aigis

@AzatiS: Its a dumb thread, op is trying his best to spin it for xbone. Dont think about it too much even though its all speculation

a billion a year == fail, accept it

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aigis

@loe12k said:
@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@aigis said:
@loe12k said:

Come on you know most third party dlc is multiplayer, SP dlc is rare. This may well explain why Sony does not include multiplayer with its first party games? They know half the userbase don't care and it may be waste of resources pumping money into an online experience when people will not buy their first party games for that online experience.

can i get links pls?

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 loe12k

@AzatiS said:
@loe12k said:

Since when 21million users that paying more or less 50 per year each the least is fail ? We talking about OVER a billion per year with this userbase.

I lol'ed with your logic when Sony makes a billion out of this yet you question if this is a success or not ! Even half of that is a success ! We are talking about an overwhelming amount of money generation. And thats just from the SUBS alone , aside anything else all those PSN users might spend money on !

Never said it was fail i said they're losing potential revenue they would love to have. You can't buy shit on PS4 if you don't go online.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 loe12k

@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@aigis said:

can i get links pls?

Links to what i already posted a link for the 21 million subs Sony said they had.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By aigis

@loe12k said:
@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@aigis said:

can i get links pls?

Links to what i already posted a link for the 21 million subs Sony said they had.

no, to most dlc is multiplayer

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 loe12k

@aigis said:

@AzatiS: Its a dumb thread, op is trying his best to spin it for xbone. Dont think about it too much even though its all speculation

Its not a dumb thread. I sure people would like Sony to have more money to make games for their console?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AzatiS

@aigis said:

Ok !!! I accept !

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 aigis

@loe12k said:
@aigis said:

Its not a dumb thread. I sure people would like Sony to have more money to make games for their console?

Trust me, its a dumb thread. Its based on pure speculation and lacks an attention to detail

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AzatiS

@loe12k said:
@AzatiS said:
@loe12k said:

Never said it was fail i said they're losing potential revenue they would love to have. You can't buy shit on PS4 if you don't go online.

Ok , fair enough !

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By aigis

@loe12k said:
@AzatiS said:
@loe12k said:

The 21 million isnt the amount of active online users though. Its just Plus subs, they have 60 million users online

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50563 Posts

21million plus members sounds pretty good...

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#39 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@d_parker: Explain? When I walk into GameStop or Best Buy, the PS4 section is the first thing I see when it comes to games.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 loe12k

@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@AzatiS said:
@loe12k said:

The 21 million isnt the amount of active online users though. Its just Plus subs, they have 60 million users online

PS3 you dont sub a to play online, i think the subscription is slightly different on PS3, correct me if i am wrong?. Sony userbase is still big. But they still having problems on the PS4.

19 million users not playing multiplayer or buying dlc surely would impact game sales and their revenue intake.

It is worry for Sony if the other half is interested in going online and paying for that. Whos to say they still loyal to Playstation and jump ship to xbox and start paying for the sub over there?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@aigis said:

Ok so after actually doing research on this. Sony does have 21 million PS Plus subs, and 60 million active users. MS has not released their xbox live subs, and have 48 million subs.

So PS+ has an extra 12 million active users and if MS isnt releasing xbox live subs it cant be great considering xbone has sold around 18 million units.

Source

/thread

Nothing to see here. Just another sensationalist thread from the OP.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By aigis

@loe12k said:

19 million users not buying dlc

link pls

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#43  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I don't know MS numbers so it's hard to say how well\bad is Sony doing. I was expecting Sony to be doing better but my experience with their service it's not the best, specially compared with MS, there's still a lot of room for improvement on their side.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By loe12k

@aigis said:
@loe12k said:

19 million users not buying dlc surely would impact game sales and their revenue intake.

link pls

Sony has 21 million subs Sony has sold 40 million PS4 consoles, now in peoples homes, its not hard math to figure out.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By aigis

@loe12k said:
@aigis said:
@loe12k said:

19 million users not buying dlc surely would impact game sales and their revenue intake.

link pls

Sony has 21 million subs Sony has sold 40 million PS4 consoles in peoples homes, its not hard math to figure out.

That just means they have 19 million people not subbed to ps+, saying they dont buy dlc is speculation unless you have a link I dont know about

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 loe12k

@quadknight said:
@aigis said:

Source

/thread

Plenty to see here but hardcore fanboys don't like facts.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@loe12k said:
@quadknight said:
@aigis said:

Source

/thread

Plenty to see here but hardcore fanboys don't like facts.

The link proves otherwise.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 loe12k

@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@aigis said:
@loe12k said:

link pls

Sony has 21 million subs Sony has sold 40 million PS4 consoles in peoples homes, its not hard math to figure out.

That just means they have 19 million people not subbed to ps+, saying they dont buy dlc is speculation unless you have a link I dont know about

Its commonsense. Who buys multiplayer DLC when you don't game online. When you don't have sub on PS4 you not playing with others online.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 aigis

@loe12k said:

Plenty to see here but hardcore fanboys don't like facts unsubstantiated speculation.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 aigis

@loe12k said:
@aigis said:
@loe12k said:
@aigis said:
@loe12k said:

link pls

Its commonsense. Who buys multiplayer DLC when you don't game online. When you don't have sub on PS4 you not playing with others online.

SP DLC exists