playstation network vs. xbox live

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Antwan3K  Online
Member since 2005 • 8060 Posts
[QUOTE="Antwan3K"][QUOTE="jet052006"][QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="player_leo"]

XBL is better, Really if you look at it how expensive is $50. It's the price of a pair of pants depending where you go. It might be less than going out on a date. Only this date last a whole year not one night. There are people out there paying like triple the amount for a year of WOW.

Sure there a lot of features coming to PSN but we were promised this a long time ago. Sony and promises don't go together very well. I am strictly under a believe it when I see rule when they say something is coming soon.

jet052006

Tell me, or ANY LEMMING, what does that $50 do for you? Seriously, I must be missing something.

Allows me to use the only unified console online service?

how is PSN not a unified online service?..

because the online service doesnt connect you with every PSN user, only those playing the same game as you, and doesnt have a set standard on how the online system should be set up, thats why some games lack features others have, like voice chat.

you obviously dont know anything about PSN..

xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#52 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts

what do you recon is better playstaion network or xbox live

gummy_joe
I have both and Xbox Live is much better. PSN isnt as good, missing a lot of features and content but it is free. So you get what you paid for.
lespaul00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 lespaul00
Member since 2006 • 242 Posts

I believe there is probably more to XBL than a lot people think. Matchmaking and cross-game communications, for example, are not done on a P2P network. The data being sent during gameplay is what is done on P2P. Everything else is on dedicated servers. There is a lot of "everything else" outside of game data. Stat tracking for example (game specific and achievements). Matchmaking is also done on dedicated servers before dumping everyone that was placed into a P2P connection. XBL wide communications (getting notifications about who is online regardless of what you are doing). The XBL service is ALWAYS connected when a 360 is on if the user wants it to be. This means I can be watching a movie and get a message or game invite from people. The 360 is NOT running on P2P when this is happening.

Regardless of this, running servers costs money. Just because "enthusiasts" pay to keep the PC servers running,for example,does not make them free. This just means a few people are paying to play because someone has to foot the bill. You would be surprised how much playing PC games online actually costs if you were sent a bill for your usage time.

Take all of the individual PC game servers and drop a cross-game infrustructure on it and you would have what XBL also includes. That would cost quite a bit to do. Steam and XBL are quite different. Steam is a download service with a messenging service tacked on. Xfire is way better. Neither of these require any kind of data tracking on the server side.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Antwan3K  Online
Member since 2005 • 8060 Posts

3 pages and no one mentions the following:

• Infrastructure that allows the community to self-govern with:
    • Gamer zone
    • Rep
    • Prefer/avoid
    • Feedback, monitored by an international team. This same team randomly joins game sessions to police behavior
  • 2 levels of matchmaking:
    • Preference-based with the features listed above
    • Skill-based using the proprietary TrueSkill system
  • Functional cross-game invite system that brings you straight into a friend's session
  • Closed, secure network that actively checks for modded consoles
  • Compared to the competition, MS seems to be the best connected to its community
    • Then there's MS personnel dedicated to the Xbox Live community like Major Nelson and Trixie
    • They have MVP, Ambassador and Community Developer Programs. See the gamercards in our sigs? MS didn't make those. But they do have their programmers help community sites.
    • Community Calendar with Ladies Night, Prime Time and Family Game Night, Play with Devs, Game With Fame

The simple fact that these points are taken for granted says alot about how well-integrated these features are.

VoodooHak

still doesnt change the fact that an in-game XMB will put PSN right in the same playing field with XBL in terms of cross-game buddy access.. beyond that, PS Home will undoubtly provide community features that are not currently available in XBL aswell (like 3D avatars, community meeting places, game related meeting places, personal apartments, and etc).. so what you're doing in that area and aspect is just nit-picking...

beyond that, let's not forget that "FREE online multiplayer" is indeed a feature.. a feature that XBL still lacks.. and this is the single most important feature for alot of people.. it's funny how lemmings try and downplay this.. no subscription fees needed.. any PS3 owner with a broadband connection has access.. the purest form of "plug and play".. any of that other stuff you've mentioned is trivial at best considering the standard and unified features that PSN is currently offering and considering the confirmed features that are on the way (i.e. in-game XMB and PS Home) that will no doubt satisfy any "casual gamer" but also puts PSN right up there with a paid service like XBL Gold.. all for free.. so sure, keep your "Family Game Night".. i guess that $50 a year has to go somewhere huh..

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
Live, superior in every way, worth the subscription.