playstation network vs. xbox live

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gummy_joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 gummy_joe
Member since 2006 • 3331 Posts

what do you recon is better playstaion network or xbox live

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 tekmojo
Member since 2006 • 1425 Posts
xbox live
def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts
i have both XBL and PSN, both does the job done. only thing with XBL is its yearly subscription.
pro-nathan-07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pro-nathan-07
Member since 2007 • 1591 Posts
i have both XBL and PSN, both does the job done. only thing with XBL is its yearly subscription.def_mode
yup both get the job done..but xbox live gets the job done better :P
def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 def_mode

[QUOTE="def_mode"]i have both XBL and PSN, both does the job done. only thing with XBL is its yearly subscription.pro-nathan-07

how so? cause u pay 50 bucks a year for it? They are both equal in terms of service. thing is the other one is free and less lag.

SaintTheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SaintTheKing
Member since 2007 • 918 Posts

i have both but id say the 360 because of all the DLC

pro-nathan-07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pro-nathan-07
Member since 2007 • 1591 Posts

[QUOTE="pro-nathan-07"][QUOTE="def_mode"]i have both XBL and PSN, both does the job done. only thing with XBL is its yearly subscription.def_mode

how so? cause u pay 50 bucks a year for it? They are both equal in terms of service. thing is the other one is free and less lag.

xbox live has alot more features. its like comparing ps3 and the 360, cows always fetch up blue ray, memory card slots, built in wireless etc which dont effect the games but do make the ps3 from a hardware point of view better.
def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 def_mode
[QUOTE="def_mode"]

[QUOTE="pro-nathan-07"][QUOTE="def_mode"]i have both XBL and PSN, both does the job done. only thing with XBL is its yearly subscription.pro-nathan-07

xbox live has alot more features. its like comparing ps3 and the 360, cows always fetch up blue ray, memory card slots, built in wireless etc which dont effect the games but do make the ps3 from a hardware point of view better.

ahh yes indeed more features. but for the cost of $50. 8)

but gaming wise, both gets the job done.

campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 campbell1874
Member since 2006 • 1920 Posts

[QUOTE="pro-nathan-07"][QUOTE="def_mode"]i have both XBL and PSN, both does the job done. only thing with XBL is its yearly subscription.def_mode

Xbox live is better if you play online with friends.

You can send messages when you in a game with the xbox live. If you want to send messages with the PSN you have to exit the game then send a message.

The xbox can do the following thing when in a game that PSN can't. Text messages, MSN messages, group voice chat, game invites, recently played list, play your own music and block people you dont want to play with. Ther is more but you get the idea.

You get a lot more DLC with xbox live but saying that the PSN has got better than it used to be.

The PS3 is about to get a update for a in-game interface allowing for messages, playing music etc like xbox live. If they include all the important features then PSN should be better than xbox live because you dont have to pay for it. (yet)

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
I'm gonna say PSN is better because I don't pay. It's basically like Live minus a few(features which will be added soon) but it's free.
Avatar image for PelekotansDream
PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 PelekotansDream
Member since 2005 • 7602 Posts

One thing that I pleasently noted is that even though you pay for BL you still get spammed by 3rd party ads however on the PSN for a free service you only get spammed in the Playstation Store which is surprising because I expected to get spammed like for hell for a free service.

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 def_mode
[QUOTE="def_mode"]

[QUOTE="pro-nathan-07"][QUOTE="def_mode"]i have both XBL and PSN, both does the job done. only thing with XBL is its yearly subscription.campbell1874

Xbox live is better if you play online with friends.

You can send messages when you in a game with the xbox live. If you want to send messages with the PSN you have to exit the game then send a message.

The xbox can do the following thing when in a game that PSN can't. Text messages, MSN messages, group voice chat, game invites, recently played list, play your own music and block people you dont want to play with. Ther is more but you get the idea.

You get a lot more DLC with xbox live but saying that the PSN has got better than it used to be.

The PS3 is about to get a update for a in-game interface allowing for messages, playing music etc like xbox live. If they include all the important features then PSN should be better than xbox live because you dont have to pay for it. (yet)

lol i know all that. but what i said, its all there for a price. anyways, Just as long as its lag free and n oproblems connecting to a server, i can give up all those extra features the XBL has.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

Meh, they are both the same for me. When i get online all I want to do is play games and maybe download some demoes. I can do that on both and thats all that matters to me. Of course being able to do it for free is always better^^ But, I have to agree that XBL has more features, so if thats your type of thing, then XBL is for you.

player_leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 player_leo
Member since 2002 • 1483 Posts

XBL is better, Really if you look at it how expensive is $50. It's the price of a pair of pants depending where you go. It might be less than going out on a date. Only this date last a whole year not one night. There are people out there paying like triple the amount for a year of WOW.

Sure there a lot of features coming to PSN but we were promised this a long time ago. Sony and promises don't go together very well. I am strictly under a believe it when I see rule when they say something is coming soon.

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Crucible
Member since 2007 • 3305 Posts

Right now: XBL

Once in-game XMB comes to PS3: PSN

I could care less about the oodles of movies (not free) and the old ports from other consoles (also not free). I can go rent a movie from various places on blu-ray. I have played the old ports when new.

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Crucible

XBL is better, Really if you look at it how expensive is $50. It's the price of a pair of pants depending where you go. It might be less than going out on a date. Only this date last a whole year not one night. There are people out there paying like triple the amount for a year of WOW.

Sure there a lot of features coming to PSN but we were promised this a long time ago. Sony and promises don't go together very well. I am strictly under a believe it when I see rule when they say something is coming soon.

player_leo

Tell me, or ANY LEMMING, what does that $50 do for you? Seriously, I must be missing something.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
so far i think they are both pretty good, but xbox live has the edge.
prodiqy32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 prodiqy32
Member since 2007 • 1624 Posts

it amazes me how people try to bash PSN still. it offers about everything that xbox live offers for free. the only difference is you cant download movies and TV shows. guess what? ive got comcast on demand with a high-def cable box and HDTV. its a pleasure i get already. the PSN has great new IP's and classic games to download, i havent had problems with lag, all my games support leaderboards, extra content, themes, trailers, ect.

give me one good reason XBL is $50 better.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Always-Honest

it amazes me how people try to bash PSN still. it offers about everything that xbox live offers for free. the only difference is you cant download movies and TV shows. guess what? ive got comcast on demand with a high-def cable box and HDTV. its a pleasure i get already. the PSN has great new IP's and classic games to download, i havent had problems with lag, all my games support leaderboards, extra content, themes, trailers, ect.

prodiqy32

they offer more and at a constant quality, but you're right, PSn offers almost the same.. and the quality of PSN games is unrivaled imo.

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 def_mode

player_leo

You are not getting the idea. Yes ofcourse $50/year is cheap. but the thing is you are getting charged for something others offer it for free and you dont even know where ur money is going.

campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 campbell1874
Member since 2006 • 1920 Posts

Tell me, or ANY LEMMING, what does that $50 do for you? Seriously, I must be missing something.

I own a PS3 and a 360. $50 does nothing except makes a hole in your pocket but i am willing to pay for a system that works.

If you play online with friends then it can be a pain in the ars to orginise games and talk to friends when using PS3. For gaming xbox live has the better system at the moment.

Sony couldn't charge it users for a half gimped online system. Sony store is better and a lot of new features are due soon making PSN more up to par with xbox live. Sony must be considering charging for PSN after seeing how much money xbox live is making. Will you pay for PSN?

dlindenb2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -11

#22 dlindenb2000
Member since 2005 • 4750 Posts
I personally like the non-dedicated servers of Live, as that means they can't shut them down, and you can still play old games on it. Though I do wish they would update the stupid chat system. Only 1 person in private chat at a time means I still use vent when playing my games.
Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts
[QUOTE="prodiqy32"]

Always-Honest

they offer more and at a constant quality, but you're right, PSn offers almost the same.. and the quality of PSN games is unrivaled imo.

must i remind you about christmas 07, or the quaily of the xbox in general. But the quaility is great most of the time.

Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts
I'm gonna say PSN is better because I don't pay. It's basically like Live minus a few(features which will be added soon) but it's free.-Renegade
jet052006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jet052006
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts
[QUOTE="player_leo"]

The_Crucible

Allows me to use the only unified console online service?

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Relys
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts
XBL would have won if it wasn't $50 a year.
Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8160 Posts

right now, for the purpose of playing games online, both are about equal.. and for the purpose of playing games online for FREE, PSN wins hands down...

now i can admit that XBL has the advantage when i comes to the in-game dashboard access and acheivements.. but heck, you're paying $50 a year.. i guess you deserve something right?..

but with the confirmed in-game XMB coming to PSN aswell as PS Home (complete with accomplishments/trophies), that little "advantage" kinda becomes a non-issue..

well, except for the fact that the XBL guys will be still paying $50 a year.. :wink: which, to me, makes PSN the better choice overall....

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Antwan3K

campbell1874

I own a PS3 and a 360. $50 does nothing except makes a hole in your pocket but i am willing to pay for a system that works.

If you play online with friends then it can be a pain in the ars to orginise games and talk to friends when using PS3. For gaming xbox live has the better system at the moment.

Sony couldn't charge it users for a half gimped online system. Sony store is better and a lot of new features are due soon making PSN more up to par with xbox live. Sony must be considering charging for PSN after seeing how much money xbox live is making. Will you pay for PSN?

Sony is more than likely going to finance PSN via PS Home through advertisements and optional microtransactions... i dont see mandatory online fees becoming a factor...

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Antwan3K
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="player_leo"]

jet052006

how is PSN not a unified online service?..

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#30 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

For me, PSN is better because I don't really have the cash for Live at the moment.

Aside from the money aspect, I believe Live is better. That may be due to all the stuff I have read online about the features on Live that trump PSN, so it could be just a misconception on my part. Guess I won't know till I get my 360.

rickjamesxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 rickjamesxx
Member since 2008 • 887 Posts

obviouslhy u havent played live

live has way more in terms of features and depths and the spped is way faster

it took my friend and i over an hour to download the gran turismo demo off psn which was 1.6 gb

it takes us 13 minutes to download the bioshock demo which is 1.3 gb

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Always-Honest
[QUOTE="Always-Honest"][QUOTE="prodiqy32"]

Jacobistheman

must i remind you about christmas 07, or the quaily of the xbox in general. But the quaility is great most of the time.

there are many great games on XBLA. but the games on PSN and Virtual Console have some aces that you just don't find on XBLA.. but all three of the arcades have great games..

what's with xmas 07?....

p4ddym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 p4ddym
Member since 2005 • 632 Posts

Its hard to argue against xbl. It has more features.

It sucks that you have to pay though. That might put off people from getting online.

jet052006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jet052006
[QUOTE="jet052006"][QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="player_leo"]

Antwan3K

because the online service doesnt connect you with every PSN user, only those playing the same game as you, and doesnt have a set standard on how the online system should be set up, thats why some games lack features others have, like voice chat.

wanneir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wanneir
Member since 2005 • 177 Posts
id say xbl since psn doesnt have ingame xmb .
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

XBL is much more intuitive, and offers XMB, which is huge in my book. i just don't get PSN. all they have to do is improve just a couple of features, and it would be just as good, if not better than XBL. instead, they have to go crazy with this home stuff.

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 The_Crucible
[QUOTE="Antwan3K"][QUOTE="jet052006"][QUOTE="The_Crucible"][QUOTE="player_leo"]

jet052006

because the online service doesnt connect you with every PSN user, only those playing the same game as you, and doesnt have a set standard on how the online system should be set up, thats why some games lack features others have, like voice chat.

Vopice chat isn't up to the game. If you have in-game abilities to access friends and chat, that's all you need. In-game XMB will solve that. NEXT!

PSN doesn't connect me with every PSN user? Are you kidding me? I can contact anyone I want. This makes no sense.

And I love how lemmings claim that ALL 360 games have online MP. When a lot of them are just shared online leaderboards. Same thing every PSN game has, at the least.

Again, where does that $50 go?

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

yup both get the job done..but xbox live gets the job done better :Ppro-nathan-07

Agreed!

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thegame1980

Vopice chat isn't up to the game. If you have in-game abilities to access friends and chat, that's all you need. In-game XMB will solve that. NEXT!

PSN doesn't connect me with every PSN user? Are you kidding me? I can contact anyone I want. This makes no sense.

And I love how lemmings claim that ALL 360 games have online MP. When a lot of them are just shared online leaderboards. Same thing every PSN game has, at the least.

The_Crucible

I LOVE how every cow can support that BS PSN network. OH WOW IT'S FREE! Yea well I can take a **** in a bag and mark it free that doesn't mean it's any good. Cows only praise PSN because it's all they have and are ignorant to the facts.

So keep exiting your games to answer your buddies questions, keep praying Sony delivers in game XMB before this gen is over and enjoy playing games with little to no human interaction.

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The_Crucible
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

thegame1980

I LOVE how every cow can support that BS PSN network. OH WOW IT'S FREE! Yea well I can take a **** in a bag and mark it free that doesn't mean it's any good. Cows only praise PSN because it's all they have and are ignorant to the facts.

So keep exiting your games to answer your buddies questions, keep praying Sony delivers in game XMB before this gen is over and enjoy playing games with little to no human interaction.

Way to ignore my points. I must be right, otherwise you would have told me. Instead, you merely bash me instead of what was said.

And, guess what? I can take a dump in a bag and sell it for $50. Doesn't mean its worth it.

Now, don't twist my words. I know XBL is no "dump in a bag." But just about every part of it that's an advantage over PSN has ZERO to do with paying the gold $50 fee.

mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mahjustin
Member since 2005 • 824 Posts

The_Crucible

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought XBOX Live (Silver) is free.

The $50 goes towards being able to play others online, sounds kind of like a waste to me.

I don't know much about XBOX Live, but touting that you can do in-game messaging, etc, is that really a feature of Live? Or is it just a feature of the XBOX 360's operating system? I don't think the $50 is going towards that, since that feature was built into the system.

All I can see is that $50 is letting you play against people online, something that the Wii, PS3, and PC have been doing free since day one.

So.. yeah.. I don't think it's worth $50. PSN is better only because its free. As for the other O/S features like in-game XMB, everyone knows its coming, so that's a moot point.

The question I suppose that would make sense for everyone is that, when the PS3 gets in-game XMB, which would be better, PSN or Live?

jet052006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jet052006

The_Crucible

Is In-game XMB out yet?

So you can see and intereact with other PSN users playing different games than the one that you are playing? Last time I checked(awhile ago) PSN isolated players to one game.

What does your last part have to do with what I said? I didnt mention anything like this at all?

mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mahjustin

Is In-game XMB out yet?

So you can see and intereact with other PSN users playing different games than the one that you are playing? Last time I checked(awhile ago) PSN isolated players to one game.

What does your last part have to do with what I said? I didnt mention anything like this at all?

jet052006

It's not out yet, but everyone knows it's coming.

Once it comes though, can you still say Live is better?

jet052006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jet052006
[QUOTE="jet052006"]

Is In-game XMB out yet?

mahjustin

I dont know, If it does everything its suppose to do maybe, but I dont even think there has been a release date for it yet.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

3 pages and no one mentions the following:

• Infrastructure that allows the community to self-govern with:
    • Gamer zone
    • Rep
    • Prefer/avoid
    • Feedback, monitored by an international team. This same team randomly joins game sessions to police behavior
  • 2 levels of matchmaking:
    • Preference-based with the features listed above
    • Skill-based using the proprietary TrueSkill system
  • Functional cross-game invite system that brings you straight into a friend's session
  • Closed, secure network that actively checks for modded consoles
  • Compared to the competition, MS seems to be the best connected to its community
    • Then there's MS personnel dedicated to the Xbox Live community like Major Nelson and Trixie
    • They have MVP, Ambassador and Community Developer Programs. See the gamercards in our sigs? MS didn't make those. But they do have their programmers help community sites.
    • Community Calendar with Ladies Night, Prime Time and Family Game Night, Play with Devs, Game With Fame

The simple fact that these points are taken for granted says alot about how well-integrated these features are.

mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mahjustin
[QUOTE="mahjustin"][QUOTE="jet052006"]

Is In-game XMB out yet?

jet052006

I dont know, If it does everything its suppose to do maybe, but I dont even think there has been a release date for it yet.

No firm release date, but at CES, Sony confirmed that in-game XMB is coming out this year (2008).

http://ps3.thegamereviews.com/story-382-CES-2008-Sony-Confirms-InGame-XMB-Sometime-in-08.html

mahjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mahjustin

• Gamer zone
    • Rep
    • Prefer/avoid
    • Feedback, monitored by an international team. This same team randomly joins game sessions to police behavior
  • Functional cross-game invite system that brings you straight into a friend's session
  • Compared to the competition, MS seems to be the best connected to its community
    • Then there's MS personnel dedicated to the Xbox Live community like Major Nelson and Trixie
    • They have MVP, Ambassador and Community Developer Programs. See the gamercards in our sigs? MS didn't make those. But they do have their programmers help community sites.
    • Community Calendar with Ladies Night, Prime Time and Family Game Night, Play with Devs, Game With Fame

The simple fact that these points are taken for granted says alot about how well-integrated these features are.
VoodooHak

Good points, like I said, I'm not very aware of the features of Live.

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thegame1980
[QUOTE="jet052006"]

Is In-game XMB out yet?

mahjustin

Just pray it's released while it's still relevant. Knowing Sony who loves to release things near the end of the consoles life cycle. Keep waiting.

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 thegame1980

• Gamer zone
    • Rep
    • Prefer/avoid

VoodooHak

These points have been thrown in their faces COUNTLESS times yet cows seem to ignore them and write them off as unnecessary. Good post though.