Playstation 3 production ending soon in Japan. share favourite PS3 memories.

• 54 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

From Eurogamer.

'After a decade on sale, PlayStation 3 production ends soon.

Sony's official PlayStation website has signalled the end of PS3 production in Japan - which, undoubtedly, will mean the end of PS3 production for everywhere else.

"Shipments are scheduled to end soon," a new notice reads (thanks, GamesTalk, via Gematsu).

PlayStation 3 originally launched in Japan back in November 2006, then launched in Europe the following March.'

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-17-playstation-3-production-to-end-soon-in-japan

I remember picking up a PS3 the day it came out in the UK. It was very expensive over here £425 over a £100 more expensive that the 360 but it did have a bluray player. Which was lucky as my PS3 spent most of it's early life as a Planet Earth player. I picked up resistance and Motorstorm at launch which were both pretty mediocre, but it was the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo that I played the most.

It took a few years for it to pick up steam. But once it did it became a superb gaming platform and it was about the time when MS f*cked everything up with focusing after the dead duck Project Natal (Kinect) so the PS3 became my go to console after spending so many year loving the 360.

A great console that will be remember fondly!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

This is my favorite memory...

lolol :P

Edit: Oh and Duel 1080P at 120 fps in 4D. tehe.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

"599 US DOLLARS"
"599 US DOLLARS"
"599 US DOLLARS"
"599 US DOLLARS"

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

After my 4th 360 broke I got pissed and chunked it.

My wife bought me a PS3. I was in awe of GOW3.

I bought another 360 later. That's what MS needs to recapture. Whatever it was about the 360 that made me and others buy multiples of it even though it quite likely is the absolute worst piece of electronics I've ever owned as far as build quality.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

but seriously my fondest memories are things like playing mgs4 for the first time and being blown away by the game's graphics and seemless transitions from cut-scene to gameplay. it was my first blu-ray player so watching movies in hd for the first time was also an amazing experience.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Loading Video...

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts
Loading Video...

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

The Last of Us. It's the only PS3 game that has cracked my top 5 games of all time.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8160 Posts

My favorite memories of PS3 were playing tons of Warhawk with buddies from work, discovering and becoming addicted to Demon's Souls, and watching the format wars between Bluray and HD-DVD unfold..

Good times..

And of course, fanboying for Resistance: Fall of Man and Killzone 2 as "Halo killers" lol..

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I picked up my ps3 mid 2007, and had Resistance (fantastic game), Heavenly Sword (good game), Motorstorm (really fun but frustrating later on) and Virtua Fighter 5 (fantastic fighter). I loved the ps3 and once it hit its stride there was no stopping it, it was a beast of a system.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility. Rechargeable wireless controllers - I'm not sure how I lived so long without them. Demon's Souls, The Last of Us, Little Big Planet 1+2, Heavenly Sword, Infamous 1+2, Killzone 2+3, Uncharted 1-3, Heavy Rain, 3D Dot Game Heroes, GOW3, Resistance 1+2, Ratchet and Clank, Beyond Two Souls, Motorstorm, and MGS4 - good times.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

If there's one thing I like about PS3, it's the fact that Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots was the only solid PS3 exclusive game that push the PS3 to it's limits, it's the only PS3 with cutting-edge graphics of it's time, it's a damn shame to see the PS3 ending it's production but for an almost 11 year old console, it's still has some really great games to play on and most of all, it's still online free.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Netflix, Demons Souls, funky bite-sized games like Flower and Journey. LBP. I enjoyed Resistance and DA:O, enjoyed aspects of Uncharted.

Tbh I much much much prefer the ps4. The system feels infinitely more fluid and refined, and haters (lems) can say what they want about games, but it's got it going on. If the online was still free it would be a dream

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Fighting giant enemy crabs

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts

My fondest memory was the day started playing MGS4.

Fun game, deserves a remaster.

...........and how much Karma smacked Sony in the face for how arrogant they were with the PS2.

MS is tasting that now.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#16 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

YLOD

Ismaeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ismaeel
Member since 2016 • 37 Posts

Playing Need For Speed Undercover and split screen on Call of Duty MW2 and BO on my brother's PS3.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#18 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5173 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

My favorite memories of PS3 were playing tons of Warhawk with buddies from work, discovering and becoming addicted to Demon's Souls, and watching the format wars between Bluray and HD-DVD unfold..

Good times..

And of course, fanboying for Resistance: Fall of Man and Killzone 2 as "Halo killers" lol..

I Remember how awesome WarHawk and StarHawk were. Man I really wish those games caught on with more people. Pure fun

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts

@Star67 said:
@Antwan3K said:

Good times..

I Remember how awesome WarHawk and StarHawk were. Man I really wish those games caught on with more people. Pure fun

Same here.

Warhawk was an amazing multiplayer game.

I think the problem was that the PS3 shipped without a headset so there was rarely anyone on with a mic.

It was so quiet when i played unless i played with Navy buddies..............but they werent always available.

Needs a PS4 remaster/remake, i think it would blossom on PS4

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

MGS4 for me.. And MG online. Played that till 5am when I first got it. Also loved that you could use the little USB Bluetooth headset to have Otacon talk to you.

Street fighter 4. I played that so much getting my Dhalsim to an A rank online. I used to get so many racist messages because I mained Sim, it was odd seeing as I'm white.

Deamons Souls. Wanted this so much I got it imported before it came to the UK. Never played anything like that before at the time.. Now I'm sick of these games, but would like to play bloodborne.

Eating space cakes and playing God of War 3. Personally I don't think it's a very good hack and slash game at all, but at the time it was just so brutal and I was really impressed with the graphics.

Killzone and Killzone 2 online. Apart from Halo 2, I think this is the only good console FPS I have ever played online, and in general.

The last of Us getting an 8 on here and people having a melt down. Personally I think its a 7/10 but I think I hate the game more and more as time goes on. And 7 is a pretty good score.

Journey. **** me I was in bits by the end of my 3rd play through with this game, when it clicked with me what the game was trying to achieve. I was in a bad place when I played that tho as my GF passed away and this game was the first game I played after a long time of not gaming. Never had a game do that to me before, and probably won't ever again. Left me very deep in thought about life, death and reincarnation etc. I think it turned me into an all round better person..

Spending days creating levels on LBP to have no one ever play them..

And that's about it. I still buy the occasional game for it and I'm gonna try GOW Ascension tonight.. Yes I've got plenty of weed as I'll no doubt need it.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Had a great time w/ this console. Many great games and was a center piece for game night/get-togethers due to being able to stream music.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@SecretPolice: lolol :P

Edit: Oh and Duel 1080P at 120 fps in 4D. tehe"

I'm still wondering where my fps and 4d is lol

The first one that came to mind was finishing MGS4 the first time.........well the gameplay that is. I had to go to work and didn't have time to sit and watch the end hour and 20 minutes of cutscenes. So I had to refinish it when I got home so I could see the end of Solid Snakes tale.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@SecretPolice: lolol :P

Edit: Oh and Duel 1080P at 120 fps in 4D. tehe"

I'm still wondering where my fps and 4d is lol

Super Stardust 3D was 120fps and Motorstorm was 4D (procedural generation or any sort of change over time such as track deformation).

Also not included the PS3 was originally supposed to contain an 4 port ethernet switch as well as have 3 Cell processors and no dedicated GPU.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#24 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@skektek: Lmao ?

Right, mission accomplished LOL ?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7314 Posts

Virtua Fighter 5 was the first time I saw a game running at 1080p 60fps. Looked so polished, it's disappointing how rarely anyone ended up trying to accomplish that for the rest of the gen.

When I first played the demo for Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, I was pretty floored. The roar of the engines, the wine of the turbo boost, the physics engine that really gave a sense of weight to the trucks. Then you go over a huge jump where the camera does this fish-eye effect while the music softens, only to come exploding back as you finally slam into the ground. Good stuff. Went on to become my favorite game on the system.

Which brings me to Motorstorm: Apocalypse. Not as much fun as Pacific Rift in the end, but so many moments that show just what a graphical beast the PS3 is. This is the most technically impressive achievement on the system. Forget The Last of Us.

Journey. Forget Heavy Rain, this is how you tell a story in a video game.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I remember missing the one hour preorder window as I was at work. Every day starting at launch I called every store within an hour drive and went into close Gamestop locations.

I used to work at one of the two Gamestops downtown Seattle and knew most of the people. I went in a couple days after launch and asked if they had a PS3. I didn't recognize the guy behind the counter but he replied no and followed up with asking why I even want a PS3. He was a horrible Xbox fanboy that said PS3 would get no exclusives because everyone was putting all the games on 360 and that it was a waste of money to buy a PS3. I rolled my eyes and left.

The next day I returned to check if they had a PS3 and the same guy was at the counter. I didn't even bother and just flipped a U. As I was going up the escalator of the mall I saw a buddy of mine that I worked with. He was going down the escalator. I said "Hi" and we had a short convo. Turned out he now managed the Gamestop and had PS3's in stock that he was holding for black Friday but as we're friends would gladly sell me one.

I flipped another U, this one at the top of the escalator, followed him into the store and that fanboy started that they had no PS3's and I should buy a 360 because PS3 sucked. I told him I was waiting for his boss, my friend. That shut him up quick. My buddy sold me the PS3 and I picked up Resistance, an extra controller and the warranty (good move). As I completed my transaction the douche bag behind the counter was glaring at me the whole time. I thanked my bud, nodded to the douche, and left a happy man.

Took me slightly under a week from launch to get a PS3.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

IT'S RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

this ps3 gen in a nutshell for me

Loading Video...

lol...someone already posted this.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9732 Posts

The PS3 is fun to play games on and it had free online. I had fun playing MK 9, UMvC 3, Tekken 6 and Madden 12. I didn't get to play that many games for it though.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

PS3 turned around from a losing streak and caught up quickly, even surpassing the 360. Microsoft and Nintendo have yet to show that credibility.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

R.I.P. @Nike_Air purpose in life.

Looking back Valkyria Chronicles was the best game on the PS3 (I didn't finish Demon's Souls).

Oh and GIANT ENEMY CRAB.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

Bluray player was nice....oh and God of War 3 and Heavy Rain were highlights for me.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I still have my PS3 and 130 games for it.

Killzone 2/3 loved the dark gritty look of it.

MGS4 was a master piece.

Heavenly Sword and Uncharted were both great launch window games

Last of Us was just pain awesome

Put 72 days into COD MW2

Free online was a great.

My PS3 has 10's of thousands of hours of playtime on it. I bought a super slim as a back up just in case it dies.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#34 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I would like everyone to know Heavenly Sword was a great game and people are jerks for not supporting it.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Bought a Slim just to p!ay UC 1 & 2 and they didn't disappoint me. Also has a blast with KZ 2 & 3, RDR, BioShock Infinite, Sleeping Dogs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#36  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

The PS3 will go down as a relic of gaming history. After all the bad rep it was a victim of at the start (and deservingly so) the way t turned things around was nothing short of a miracle. Very few consoles (if any) ever managed to have a comback as impressive as the PS3 did. Most would have abandoned it and release a new console as if the previous one never existed *cough WiiU/Switch* *cough X1/Scorpio*. Sure Sony abandoned the Vita but releasing a new handheld after the Vita would just be suicide when the dedicated handheld market has no room to grow

Personaly I loved the PS3 and its exclusives. Sony never disappointed when it comes to home consoles.

Favorite memory: When I bought it to play DMC4 and was blown away by the graphics at the time

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

So did cell cure the cancer or not?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I tbagged a Game Informer reviewer in that 254 players fps that i don't even remember the name of.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1613 Posts

I got a PS3 around launch and I was kind of burned at the drought of good games.

Around launch, I played Ridge Racer 7 and got good enough to be the highest ranked player in America for a while - 10th in the world. I held that rank for months until I quit playing. After a while some cheaters started to show up and it pissed me off.

MGS4 was an amazing game. Its release was the beginning of the turnaround for PS3.

Demon's Souls was an amazing experience.

Little Big Planet games were super fun

I also used otheros with Linux installed to do homework during my undergrad

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9555 Posts

Playing games on it.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

My only cherished memory from owning my PS3 is playing Demon's Souls. It was worth it just for that, but the rest of the games ranged from crap to mediocre. Don't really have that many other fond memories of the system. I use it as my blu ray/netflix machine now, though, so it has come in handy.

Oh, The Last of Us was pretty good. Uncharted 2 was meh. KZ2 was crap. MGS4 was decent, but I knew I'd never want to play it a 2nd time.

The multiplats I got on PC, where the superior experience shined through as usual for the PC platform.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

All my favourite games on it were third party to be honest. Thats not a bad thing, it is what it is. But as far as quality goes, it was up there with PS2.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

Using my projector to play games and watch blurays on it for the first few months because it was the only thing that did 720p HD that I owned

My sister accidently finding the PS3 in a city 3 hours away when they were sold out everywhere after launch

PS Home fun

Gran Turismo 5 hype, getting it a day early when Blockbuster put it up for sale in their store

Spending 300+ hours on Little Big Planet 2

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

Good times..

So why the downgrade in console choice this gen?

xh117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xh117
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts

PS3 was such a great console. I remember getting it along with MGS4 and Guitar Hero 3 when they lowered the price to $400, I didn't have a hd tv when I got it so I was blown away once I got one and everything wasn't blurry anymore lol.

It had some really nice exclusive games like Demon's Souls, Ni No Kuni, God of War 3, Infamous 2, R&C A Crack in Time, and Uncharted 2.

Being able to switch out the HDD was a nice feature, I still have a bunch of games from psn downloaded that I need to play, I bought my last physical PS3 game yesterday (3d dot game heroes).

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#46  Edited By bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Playing Sly 2 and Persona 3 on it for the first time.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Too many to list

First online game
The Last of us
Uncharted trilogy
Red Dead Redemption
GTA

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

TLOU , Heavy Rain , GOW III , Uncharted II

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

My fondest memory was the day started playing MGS4.

Fun game, deserves a remaster.

...........and how much Karma smacked Sony in the face for how arrogant they were with the PS2.

MS is tasting that now.

It's the third system curse. Sega endured it with the Saturn, Nintendo endured it twice with the Nintendo 64 and Wii U, Sony endured it with the PS3, and now it's Microsoft's turn with the Xbox One.

Every third system, has some flaw that tends to hold it back, be it hardware issues, bad games at launch, or some other issue.

On top of which, the company in question becomes arrogant and thinks they can get away with anything the want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#50 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@koko-goal said:
Loading Video...

The Cringe...

and the fact he speaks about not charging for online as if thats a bad thing is facepalm worthy...