Pirates react to their games being pirated in Game Dev Tycoon

• 140 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

When we released our very first game, Game Dev Tycoon (for Mac, Windows and Linux) yesterday, we did something unusual and as far as I know unique. We released a cracked version of the game ourselves, minutes after opening our Store.

The cracked version is nearly identical to the real thing except for one detail

Slowly their in-game funds dwindle, and new games they create have a high change to be pirated until their virtual game development company goes bankrupt.

Some of the responses I found online (identities obscured to protect the guilty):

1day.png

Thought I would share because it got a real chuckle out of me, Serious Sam is also a funny example, during a Mission there is a Scorpion that can't die and the only way to progress is to *Kill Him*

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
Yeah, because pirating has caused so many devs to go out of business. :roll:
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Blake135

Yeah, because pirating has caused so many devs to go out of business. :roll:DragonfireXZ95

Did you read it or just reply instantly ? Devs never complained about Piracy.

Avatar image for ShoulderOfOrion
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ShoulderOfOrion
Member since 2013 • 3379 Posts
Pretty cool thing to do and also THHBO.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Yeah, because pirating has caused so many devs to go out of business. :roll:Blake135

Did you read it or just reply instantly ? Devs never complained about Piracy.

"Slowly their in-game funds dwindle, and new games they create have a high change to be pirated until their virtual game development company goes bankrupt." I never said they complained; they simply don't go out of business like that, though.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

These types of things are awesome. Serious Sam 3 put in an immortal ping scorpion and you couldn't even get rid of from the console if you played the pirated version, and I don't think it was ever fully cracked after that. :lol:

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Cool story bro. 

3eyn.jpg

Also, Batman Arkham Asylum also had an intentional glitch when pirated, sometimes unintentionally amusing:

[spoiler]

batman.jpg

[/spoiler]

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blake135

Cool story bro. 

3eyn.jpg

Also, Batman Arkham Asylum also had an intentional glitch when pirated, sometimes unintentionally amusing:

[spoiler]

batman.jpg

[/spoiler]

psymon100

Hahaha didn't know that, love it.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts

Pretty funny, probably should have kept it quiet for a little longer to allow the beardmad to ferment.

Interesting part of the dev's blog (http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/) is the tracking stats they were able to generate from the cracked version. 

93.6% of the people playing the game were playing the cracked version, theiving hermits. 

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#10 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
This would be funnier if the concept for their own game wasn't so clearly lifted from Kairosoft.
Avatar image for ShoulderOfOrion
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShoulderOfOrion
Member since 2013 • 3379 Posts
This would be funnier if the concept for their own game wasn't so clearly lifted from Kairosoft.Cherokee_Jack
It's a dog eat dog world out there everyone is out for themselves.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DragonfireXZ95
This would be funnier if the concept for their own game wasn't so clearly lifted from Kairosoft.Cherokee_Jack
True that. They blatantly copied Game Dev Story.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

They need to see about getting this on GOG and other DD webstores. Kinda hard to get sales when no one has ever heard of your website and that's the only place to get it.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JamDev
Sounds like we have some 93%-ers in here.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
Yeah, because pirating has caused so many devs to go out of business. :roll:DragonfireXZ95
considering the fact we have no data as to devs hampered by piracy dont see how a claim can be made either way but its not surprising a pirate would defend his activities. note: just noticed the pie chart... lol no wonder devs are forced to release on steam or consoles just to make a profit...
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JamDev
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Yeah, because pirating has caused so many devs to go out of business. :roll:WilliamRLBaker
considering the fact we have no data as to devs hampered by piracy dont see how a claim can be made either way but its not surprising a pirate would defend his activities. note: just noticed the pie chart... lol no wonder devs are forced to release on steam or consoles just to make a profit...

Nonsense, piracy only helps the games industry, just ask a hermit.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DragonfireXZ95
Sounds like we have some 93%-ers in here.JamDev
I probably have purchased twice as many games as you. :lol:
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JamDev
[QUOTE="JamDev"]Sounds like we have some 93%-ers in here.DragonfireXZ95

I very much doubt it kid. You have probably pirated many more though if that's any consolation.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Haha, that's cool!

If you ask me, that's how DRM should work, make some sort of a system that detects the cracked files and breaks the game, making you unable to progress.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="JamDev"]Sounds like we have some 93%-ers in here.JamDev

I very much doubt it kid. You have probably pirated many more though if that's any consolation.

Uh huh. Care to put up or shut up? I'll post my steam game list.
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JamDev
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="JamDev"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] I probably have purchased twice as many games as you. :lol:

lol, Steam list, that's cute, I'll go dig my 2600 out of the attic and start counting.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Haha, that's cool!

If you ask me, that's how DRM should work, make some sort of a system that detects the cracked files and breaks the game, making you unable to progress.

Rocker6

I agree, I remember the threads pirates made in BI forums about randomly turning into a seagul, or shooting themselves in the foot while aiming the sniper rifle at the horizon.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="JamDev"] I very much doubt it kid. You have probably pirated many more though if that's any consolation.JamDev

lol, Steam list, that's cute, I'll go dig my 2600 out of the attic and start counting.

Okay, let's start. (one wasn't resized for some reason, sorry about that.)

I'm not even into the J's yet. Prove you have more than I do, troll.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
^^ Dirty pirate :x
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JamDev

I'm not even into the J's yet. Prove you have more than I do, troll.

DragonfireXZ95

ROFL, you really don't get it do you?

I'm not disputing you have more games on Steam than I do, I only have 47, but believe it or not, gaming exsisted before steam. 

Put it this way, I have literally hundreds of PC games that predate Steam dating back 20 years. I also have 80+ 360 games, 10 Wii games, 100+ PS2 games, 30 ish Xbox games, not to mention hundreds of games across the PS1, N64, Dreamcast, Saturn, Mega CD, Megadrive, Amiga, C64, C16, Atari 2600, NDS, Gameboy, Gamegear etc.

Gaming didn't start when you sprouted pubes, I literally own games older than you, GTFO with your Steam bullshit.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] I'm not even into the J's yet. Prove you have more than I do, troll.

JamDev

I'm not disputing you have more games on Steam than I do, I only have 47, but believe it or not, gaming exsisted before steam. 

Put it this way, I have literally hundreds of PC games that predate Steam dating back 20 years. I also have 80+ 360 games, 10 Wii games, 100+ PS2 games, 30 ish Xbox games, not to mention hundreds of games across the PS1, N64, Dreamcast, Saturn, Mega CD, Megadrive, Amiga, C64, C16, Atari 2600, NDS, Gameboy, Gamegear etc.

Gaming didn't start when you sprouted pubes, I literally own games older than you, GTFO with your Steam bullshit.

I know. I meant total games, you sh!tty troll. I have a lot more than Steam games, also.

First, prove you can beat 604 games.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JamDev

[QUOTE="JamDev"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] I'm not even into the J's yet. Prove you have more than I do, troll.

DragonfireXZ95

I know. I meant total games, you sh!tty troll. I have a lot more than Steam games, also.

lol, you want me to go find every game I've ever owned and take a picture? You can accept that I have have been buying games a hell of a lot longer than you, and have owned many more games than you or you can choose not to believe me, I couldn't care less.
anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
Jam dev got owned pretty badly. Well played dragonfire !
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
:lol: that's clever! A bit of humour is always a good way to send a message.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#30 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
makes me want download the crack version to experience it lol
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Filthy pirates! :roll:
onnabushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 onnabushi
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

JamDev

As most pirating happens on the PC and handhelds I don't see why you think all those old as games are relivant. It's not like Atari is trying to sell me and E.T. cart or Square is a copy of final fanatasy for the PS1.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
[QUOTE="JamDev"]

onnabushi

As most pirating happens on the PC and handhelds I don't see why you think all those old as games are relivant. It's not like Atari is trying to sell me and E.T. cart or Square is a copy of final fanatasy for the PS1.

Square Enix is selling Final Fantasy for the PS1 on the PSN store, though.
fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

HEY STUPID!!!

Have you even read System Wars?

The hermits have already EXPLAINED there is no such thing as game piracy,

it's something consolites made up so hermits would feel bad for being so hardcore.

How dumb!

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

These types of things are awesome. Serious Sam 3 put in an immortal ping scorpion and you couldn't even get rid of from the console if you played the pirated version, and I don't think it was ever fully cracked after that. :lol:

ChubbyGuy40

I recall seeing somewhere that a person just went into the games files and or code and removed the scorpion, and that was that.  Unless the fellla was just talking out of his ass.  I'm not knowledgeable about such things.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#38 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

HEY STUPID!!!

it's something consolites made up so hermits would feel bad for being so hardcore.

How dumb!

fadersdream
wow you seem really upset by pc gamers. they hurt your feelings?
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
I love how the guy doesn't put two and two together as to why he can't make progress in the game. And it's good to have the stats from the developer as a reminder of how bad the problem actually is.
Avatar image for CallOfDutyRulez
CallOfDutyRulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CallOfDutyRulez
Member since 2013 • 1602 Posts

Cows and hermits are disgusting. They're just a bunch of communist filth who think they own the rights to the fruits of another's labor. They need to be deported to Cuba or North Korea where they belong.

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts
[QUOTE="fadersdream"]

HEY STUPID!!!

How dumb!

yellosnolvr
wow you seem really upset by pc gamers. they hurt your feelings?

No, defending them. They're like prophets, everything they've said is true, just ask them... or you.. or whatever.
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JamDev

[QUOTE="JamDev"][QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

Motokid6

lol, you want me to go find every game I've ever owned and take a picture? You can accept that I have have been buying games a hell of a lot longer than you, and have owned many more games than you or you can choose not to believe me, I couldn't care less.

I'm pretty sure he's trying to say he purchased those 604 games... And didn't pirate them. That's what this thread is about what does matter how old or how long you've been buying games? Stay on topic. Now.. I've pirated games before. When I was a kid. Thats what makes up the majority of pirates. Kids with no jobs or just .. people with no jobs. Think about it though. What independent hermit in their right mind would EVER pirate a game? Why would one do that to their computer? First off cracked games are a mess. Glitches ( which is what were talking about intentional or not ) crashes...hell some just straight up don't work. But in order to get torrent you have to sift through a sea of viruses, spyware, spam and key loggers. Downloading a torrent is like playing Russian roulette with your pc. Pirating games is not worth it..

I was just responding to his claim that he'd purchased twice as many games as me after he'd self-identified as the target of a comment I made about '93%-ers'. Sorry if that derailed the thread a bit, the stuff about games I've bought in the past was not meant to address the current state of games piracy. 

Plenty of people still take the risk on pirating though and creative in-game solutions are a much more elegant way to combat the problem than draconian DRM that screws over legit gamers. Worth noting that piracy isn't exactly a new phenomenom, even before PC was a credible gaming platform people were copying and trading Amiga and Atari ST games freely, as long as there are ways to do it people will continue to rip off developers.

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts

Cows and hermits are disgusting. They're just a bunch of communist filth who think they own the rights to the fruits of another's labor. They need to be deported to Cuba or North Korea where they belong.

CallOfDutyRulez
get ready to be banned
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
That's awesome!!
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
If the bloody site worked I might have bought a copy >8(
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JamDev

If the bloody site worked I might have bought a copy >8(blue_hazy_basic

Suspect that's something to do with the increased traffic their piracy stunt generated. Good bit of viral advertising if nothing else.

This link should work: http://sites.fastspring.com/greenheartgames/product/gamedevtycoon

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]If the bloody site worked I might have bought a copy >8(JamDev

Suspect that's something to do with the increased traffic their piracy stunt generated. Good bit of viral advertising if nothing else.

This link should work: http://sites.fastspring.com/greenheartgames/product/gamedevtycoon

Thanks! :)
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46288 Posts

makes me want download the crack version to experience it lol k2theswiss

Hahaha

Not really what the devs intended :P

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
All the hard work that goes into making art and people think they should have it for free. Whether is pirated music, movies, books, or video games. This entitled age of the digital pirate is bonkers. I know an author whose book was pirated more than 50 shades and won't see a dime from any of those downloaded copies.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46288 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Yeah, because pirating has caused so many devs to go out of business. :roll:WilliamRLBaker

Who cares who you accuse of being a pirate ? You have already stated so many times that ALL PC gamers pirate and you are a PC gamer. So all I see is the pot calling the kettle black at best.

Every single game that is released on steam can be easily pirated. Its DRM is almost the same in every single game so it's easily cracked. So how does your last sentence make any sense ?