Phil Spencer: "I’m not a big fan of Xbox One and a half."

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/04/01/i-m-not-a-big-fan-of-xbox-one-and-a-half-says-xbox-boss-phil-spencer.aspx

"I’m not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we’re going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers," Spencer said. "I don’t know anything about any of the rumors that are out there, but I can understand other teams’ motivations to do that. For us, our box is doing well. It performs, it’s reliable, the servers are doing well. If we’re going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people – an upgrade."

Now, this could just be a red herring, but I've been extremely suspicious about the lack of rumors compared to PS4k and even NX. If the idea hadn't been hinted at by Microsoft, we might not have even suspected that it's in the works. It would be interesting though, as not competing with PS4k would actually be an effective strategy for tackling it; how many devs are going to want to put the extra work in to make a game look a lot different on a single console? If MS isn't planning a new iteration, PS4k might get nothing more than resolution bumps and higher frame rates, as well as better VR support.

I think he's probably just being secretive, but we'll see how this plays out. Either way, I think it's a safe bet that it won't launch before PS4k, and both will launch after NX.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

The bigger, blacker, xbone

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

I think he's right, if you're not going to do a substantial upgrade... Why bother ?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

The problem i see is how he uses his words.

He's not a fan of Xbox 1.5, but he wants the do the upgrade.

If it's any type of upgrade on the Xbox One, it's still going to be 1.5.

@beardmad said:

The bigger, blacker, xbone

Laser Disk player Xbox One comfirmed. Or are they smaller then a VHS? Never seen one.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

I think he's right, if you're not going to do a substantial upgrade... Why bother ?

Damn right. I so hope Sony is the only one who does that foolery.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

To be honest I dont want an XB1.5. I'd rather a new Xbox console in 2018, then some upgraded crap that Sony seeems to be doing.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Well they did release the Xbone after 360. Some contradictions here/

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Techhog89

@Legend002 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Well they did release the Xbone after 360. Some contradictions here/

Windows versions:

1.0X

2.XX

3.XX

NT 3.XX

NT 4.X

2000/ME

XP

Vista

8/8.1

I'm still trying to figure out what 7 was the 7th version of...

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I don't know why everyone just assumed they where doing this?

PS4.5 came from legit sources, people just seemed to assume that X1 would follow suite. Honestly, they probably will release an X1E at some point, but it'll just be a slimmer version of the X1.

Microsoft have already shown their answer to having the lesser of the two systems, which is to offer their games on PC. This way console gamers have their option, but with inferior versions, and for those who want the games looking and running better, they have PC. Offering a third option, doesn't really benefit them in any real way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

@R4gn4r0k:

I agree

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@Legend002: Hahahaha

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

This guy talks so much shit, really. On one hand he says they will upgrade mid gen then says he doesn't want to do Xbox One 1.5 so are they doing Xbox Two mid gen then? The man's a f***ing idiot.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

You'll like what you're told to like, Mr Spencer, don't be pissing off those suits now.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

new 3DS, PS4K, Xb1.5 are horrible hardware philosophy. This is not how you run a console generation

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I don't find him to be genuine at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
Member since 2015 • 745 Posts

Just as I suspected. Phil did throw bullshit around with his last statement because he got wind of Sonys plans (not really hard to get those infos, lol) and did not want to look like a fool and being behind the times at E3 so he said that Xbox would get an upgrade. Now that he saw a relativ negativ response online and he startet his famous flip flopping.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog: I don't believe one word this dude says!

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@techhog89 said:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/04/01/i-m-not-a-big-fan-of-xbox-one-and-a-half-says-xbox-boss-phil-spencer.aspx

"I’m not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we’re going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers," Spencer said. "I don’t know anything about any of the rumors that are out there, but I can understand other teams’ motivations to do that. For us, our box is doing well. It performs, it’s reliable, the servers are doing well. If we’re going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people – an upgrade."

Now, this could just be a red herring, but I've been extremely suspicious about the lack of rumors compared to PS4k and even NX. If the idea hadn't been hinted at by Microsoft, we might not have even suspected that it's in the works. It would be interesting though, as not competing with PS4k would actually be an effective strategy for tackling it; how many devs are going to want to put the extra work in to make a game look a lot different on a single console? If MS isn't planning a new iteration, PS4k might get nothing more than resolution bumps and higher frame rates, as well as better VR support.

I think he's probably just being secretive, but we'll see how this plays out. Either way, I think it's a safe bet that it won't launch before PS4k, and both will launch after NX.

What I take from this is that he isn't saying we won't be seeing a new console sooner than expected, just that he wants the next box to be more than an incremental upgrade. I'm gonna guess it might be a 2017 launch then, but if PS4K comes out this year then it's going to be a rough year for Microsoft's Xbox division.

We are getting midgen console refreshes from both Sony and Microsoft, so get use to it guys. There is no way Microsoft is just gonna sit around and let Sony release a new PS4K without having something in the works to combat it. They will want to compete on a level playing field.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21  Edited By deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

+0.5 is still a bigger jump forward than -359.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Techhog89

@emgesp said:
@techhog89 said:

What I take from this is that he isn't saying we won't be seeing a new console sooner than expected, just that he wants the next box to be more than an incremental upgrade. I'm gonna guess it might be a 2017 launch then, but if PS4K comes out this year then it's going to be a rough year for Microsoft's Xbox division.

We are getting midgen console refreshes from both Sony and Microsoft, so get use to it guys. There is no way Microsoft is just gonna sit around and let Sony release a new PS4K without having something in the works to combat it. They will want to compete on a level playing field.

I do expect this to be the future, but as I said before, the funny thing about it is that it hurts Sony more if there's not something to compete with it since very few devs are going to put in the extra work unless it's easy to just port over some Ultra PC settings. Also, there's no way either of them will launch in 2016. I'd be absolutely shocked (on top of questioning Sony's sanity). NX likely will, but that's also extremely unlikely to compete with with those two. I mean, the only reason Nintendo would have even considered it is if they new these refreshes were going to happen.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

He's talking out both sides of his arse

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah, I don't think he wants to do a minor upgrade. He wanted it to be substantial and able to handle all those Win10 PC games in 1440 resolution with not much effort, I'm sure. I hope they give us more info at the E3.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Strange, because if I recall Spencer had mentioned "upgradeable hardware" in the future for consoles, not necessarily a console upgrade. Maybe I'm wrong but I took that to mean one box, that we could possibly upgrade with components. Not an entirely new console.

http://www.thebitbag.com/xbox-boss-plays-upgradeable-xbox-remarks/138201

Yep. That's pretty much what polygon and the bitbag was seeing as well. Seems like the people here might've filled in the blanks and spun what the man said. He clarified as a future where not waiting as long for console upgrades is what he referred to but never said ms was doing it now.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

They might not be a fan, but if the PS4K sells, they will do something.

It took them a year+ to respond to the PS3 slim with a 360 slim. So while a "slim" XB1 is likely inevitable (if not already in advanced protototyping), they might not have really considered upgrading components. If the PS4K sells, and causes an even bigger performance gap in games, then they cant just sit on their hands IMO.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

That makes no sense. The bone will get ridiculed if its running games at 720p/30fps and the same game is being played in 1080p/60fps on the ps4k. If the jump on the PS4k is minor then sure, its useless but if it isn't... the Bone is truly boned. The whole Xbox division is bone.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

@techhog89:

As far as i remember it's 7th Windows which use the same new concept of Windows which started with win 95 or something like that.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Probably looked at the stock of Bones in China and Japan and places in Europe and did the sums on how many would have to go into landfill if they announced anything and thought against it.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Techhog89

@Kashiwaba said:

@techhog89:

As far as i remember it's 7th Windows which use the same new concept of Windows which started with win 95 or something like that.

No, it wasn't related to that at all. Vista was NT 6.0 (95 was NOT NT), but 7 was 6.1. It was the sixth or 8th version of Windows NT, and the 6th consumer version of Windows with a desktop, unless you count both 2000 and ME as consumer versions. Microsoft just can't count.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Hmmm, interesting. Does this basically mean that this "PS4.5" isn't going to be as much of an upgrade as we think then? Because I can't imagine that MS would allow Sony to increase the console power gap even more.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Hmmm, interesting. Does this basically mean that this "PS4.5" isn't going to be as much of an upgrade as we think then? Because I can't imagine that MS would allow Sony to increase the console power gap even more.

I don't think people are waiting for another console, a power increase would be nice but not a cost. A ps4 that can handle 4k, can also handle games that can't run on the normal ps4, which means it would get exclusives.

A lot of people have been buying ps4's but let's be honest, there aren't a lot of games on it, just like on the x1 and wii u. A ps4k would be for a select crowd, so it wouldn't very successfull.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@commander: How in the hell with a straight face can you (and others) say the ps4 has no games, is this some sort of online joke at this point?!? It's got a huge library of games with more exclusives coming out this year, its to the point already that I can't keep up with all the games I'd love to play.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@vfighter said:

@commander: How in the hell with a straight face can you (and others) say the ps4 has no games, is this some sort of online joke at this point?!? It's got a huge library of games with more exclusives coming out this year, its to the point already that I can't keep up with all the games I'd love to play.

compared to previous gens it doesn't.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

Microsoft would be wise to just wait until PS4.5 comes out and then release a true successor to the Xbox One about a year later. If they include high-end components that crush PS4.5, they could recoup the money lost on hardware by raising XBL's subscription fee or have an online only policy where XBL Gold is required for the console to function. Console gamers want the best looking versions of Madden and COD, so I could see Microsoft touting the Next Box as the "true next gen console" or some shit, citing its advantages over NX/PS4K.

Avatar image for snapcracklenpop
snapcrackleNpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 snapcrackleNpop
Member since 2015 • 274 Posts

Good that is a smart move Xbox ... Its best to put your resources into developing the next xbox ... not some 1.5 garbage ... xbox one is good as is

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

He's jelly...hence the term "one and a half" to try and make sony look bad.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts
@soapandbubbles said:

Jelly of?

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@soapandbubbles said:

Jelly of?

that the PS4 not only has better hardware to begin with but is further increasing them specs.....MS are clearly in a shitty position. They are INDEED some what jealous.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

HE'S A BLOODY HYPOCRITE. MADE GAMERS PURCHASE XBOX ONE ON PROMISES OF EXCLUSIVES, NOW TURNED LOYALTY TOWARDS PC GAMERS AND WINDOWS 10 BRINGING MOST OF THE EXCLUSIVES FOR MORE SALES.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@soapandbubbles said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@soapandbubbles said:

Jelly of?

that the PS4 not only has better hardware to begin with but is further increasing them specs.....MS are clearly in a shitty position. They are INDEED some what jealous.

Why would they be jealous, they can release their own upgrade which could match the PS4.5 whenever they like or they could wait a bit, it's up to them.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@GunSmith1_basic said:

new 3DS, PS4K, Xb1.5 are horrible hardware philosophy. This is not how you run a console generation

+1

In the end it might hurt them this philosophy of upgradable consoles every 3 years. Why? Because many people , I included , will think twice before they buy a console and not a PC .

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

I don't know why they don't just make a powerful console from the start. I think the consoles are finished I mean what's even the point of them?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@techhog89 said:

Options

1. Move to 14 nm FinFET Polaris 11 which is smaller than XBO's GPU. XBO's GPU is about 160 mm^2 which is about same size as 7790.

Polaris 10 = 232 mm^2 with at least 36 CU at 800Mhz. http://techfrag.com/2016/03/25/amd-polaris-10-gpu-specs-leaked/ For comparison, 7870/R9-270X's chip size is 212 mm^2.

Based on AMD's Hitman 2016 with max details 1440p/60 fps results, Polaris 10 matches R9-390X (44 CU) or Fury Pro (56 CU) or Fury Nano (64 CU) level result. This Polaris 10 version is packaged within Fury Nano size card. http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-polaris-showcased-running-hitman-at-1440p-60fps-total-war-warhammer-will-support-dx12/

Based from AMD's picture

Polaris 11 estimated chip size is 108 mm^2 with 18 CU count. 40 watts version has at least R9-270X/GTX 950 level performance.

For comparison, 7770/R7-250X (10 CU) chip size is 123 mm^2.

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNA6fll2DDQ

Polaris 11 at 40 watts delivered Star Wars Battlefront with 1920x1080p/ 60 fps which is 2X over XBO's 1280x720p/~60 result.

Scaled Polaris 11 to 100 watts would be near 2X GTX 950/R9-270X i.e. it would meet PC's minimum VR spec i.e. R9-290.

2. MS pays for current XBO's APU die shrink into 16 nm or 14 nm process tech themselves and keep the current preforamce levels i.e. R7-260 with 853Mhz down clock.

3. Stay in 28 nm process tech.

Moving to lowest Polaris 11 at 40 watts is slightly more than 2X over XBO.

For PS4K, Sony can actually select Polaris 11, scale it to 100 watts and still reach PC's minimum VR spec i.e. R9-290.

Keep in mind, Polaris 11 is the candidate GPU for PC's next AMD APU for replacing AMD's current FX-8800p APU (8 CU). Current AMD FX-8800p's IGP chip size is around 100 mm^2.

If MS didn't keep pace, Xbox One will be rendered irrelevant by fleet PCs with AMD "FX-9800p" APUs.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9868 Posts

Haha I don't even know what's going on anymore. Too confusing. Is MS gonna let Sony release an upgraded console uncontested, or does he mean that MS:s version will be much more powerful?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Techhog89

@ronvalencia said:
@techhog89 said:

Options

1. Move to 14 nm FinFET Polaris 11 which is smaller than XBO's GPU. XBO's GPU is about 160 mm^2 which is about same size as 7790.

Polaris 10 = 232 mm^2 with at least 36 CU at 800Mhz. http://techfrag.com/2016/03/25/amd-polaris-10-gpu-specs-leaked/ For comparison, 7870/R9-270X's chip size is 212 mm^2.

Based on AMD's Hitman 2016 with max details 1440p/60 fps results, Polaris 10 matches R9-390X (44 CU) or Fury Pro (56 CU) or Fury Nano (64 CU) level result. This Polaris 10 version is packaged within Fury Nano size card. http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-polaris-showcased-running-hitman-at-1440p-60fps-total-war-warhammer-will-support-dx12/

Based from AMD's picture

Polaris 11 estimated chip size is 108 mm^2 with 18 CU count. 40 watts version has at least R9-270X/GTX 950 level performance.

For comparison, 7770/R7-250X (10 CU) chip size is 123 mm^2.

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNA6fll2DDQ

Polaris 11 at 40 watts delivered Star Wars Battlefront with 1920x1080p/ 60 fps which is 2X over XBO's 1280x720p/~60 result.

Scaled Polaris 11 to 100 watts would be near 2X GTX 950/R9-270X i.e. it would meet PC's minimum VR spec i.e. R9-290.

2. MS pays for current XBO's APU die shrink into 16 nm or 14 nm process tech themselves and keep the current preforamce levels i.e. R7-260 with 853Mhz down clock.

3. Stay in 28 nm process tech.

Moving to lowest Polaris 11 at 40 watts is slightly more than 2X over XBO.

For PS4K, Sony can actually select Polaris 11, scale it to 100 watts and still reach PC's minimum VR spec i.e. R9-290.

Keep in mind the Polaris 11 is the candidate GPU for PC's next AMD APU for replacing AMD FX-8800p APU (8 CU). Current AMD FX-8800p's IGP chip size is around 100 mm^2.

If MS didn't keep pace, Xbox One will be rendered irrelevant by fleet PCs with AMD "FX-9800p" APUs.

This is all under the assumption that current games would still be able to work 100% natively on Polaris without any issues. From the way that PS4k was described, I doubt that this is the case; it sounds like a die shrinks with more CUs added and not much more. Also, 2x is much smaller jump than you think it is.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Haha I don't even know what's going on anymore. Too confusing. Is MS gonna let Sony release an upgraded console uncontested, or does he mean that MS:s version will be much more powerful?

Polaris 11 at 40 watts will give you 2X over XBO.

Polaris 11 at 100 watts may give you 4X over XBO with 20 watts being wasted for leakage.

AMD is moving to 14 nm FinFET with it's own money.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9868 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Polaris 11 at 100 watts may give you 4X over XBO with 20 watts being wasted for leakage.

Just to make sure I get this (not that savy) you are saying that Xbox could make a significant leap right now within the constraint of a typical console price?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Techhog89

@Sushiglutton said:
@ronvalencia said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Just to make sure I get this (not that savy) you are saying that Xbox could make a significant leap right now within the constraint of a typical console price?

That's what he's saying, but "significant" is subjective and he may be underestimating the price and overestimating the availability of these components. Basically, he thinks that this 4x increase is possible in a $400 console, but he's very likely wrong on that front. He's also assuming that the changes in in the Polaris-GCN architecture aren't significant enough to affect compatibility. We can't say that for sure at this point. He's also completely ignoring the fact that a much more powerful CPU and much faster (and possibly even a bit more) RAM would be needed. He's also assuming that a full Polaris 10 will cost $200-250. I don't see that happening at all, but let's wait.

rell84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rell84
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

xbox elite console $500

xbox elite controller $149

looks like a xbox one and a half to me