Pedal to the Metal - The Best Console of Generation 7

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

The Best Console of Generation 7

The guys at P2m crown the Console of Generation 7... Mediator, jg4xchamp joins us to keep it civil.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I'm interested. I'd say in terms of games, I would go between the PS3 and DS. As for overall features actually adding to the console, the 360 easily becomes competition and perhaps better.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheEroica  Moderator

@Blabadon said:

I'm interested. I'd say in terms of games, I would go between the PS3 and DS. As for overall features actually adding to the console, the 360 easily becomes competition and perhaps better.

we kept handhelds out of this one, though we discussed it... DS was a boss, so was ps3... it wasnt an easy choice.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheEroica  Moderator

@Desmonic said:

If the Ouya isn't the winner, you're all clearly a bunch of CoD lovin' n00bz.

:P

I actually saw the oyua in target last week and it literally had 3 inches of dust on it. poor thing....

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I am listening to it now

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blabadon

Ahh, I see the handheld disclaimer early on.

Super Meat Boy isn't on PS3.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Blabadon said:

Yeah, but i think they fail to mention all the indie games on PS3 that have made a big difference in the last two years. Sony also provided us with games like Puppeteer, Rain, flower, Lumines, Tokyo Jungle, Sound Shapes, Super Stardust and Unfinished Swan for example

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blabadon

Well what they failed to mention is quite a few things, but at the same time, it's mostly valid points.

Yep, Sony provided gamers with lots of games later on. Were they all good? Nah, but I prefer this darts at a dartboard and hoping something sticks method over the bare minimum Microsoft and Nintendo went with.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

first half of gen 7-360

2nd half of gen 7- ps3

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Well what they failed to mention is quite a few things, but at the same time, it's mostly valid points.

Yep, Sony provided gamers with lots of games later on. Were they all good? Nah, but I prefer this darts at a dartboard and hoping something sticks method over the bare minimum Microsoft and Nintendo went with.

Indeed, After 2009 it wasn't a contest. SONY and the PS3 was the best console.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blabadon

The PS3 deserves to have a royal deuce taken on it for the install times though.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Objectively the best console in my eyes was the PS3.

Subjectively the wii was the best console for me.

Two games, brawl and mario kart, were more than enough to warrant the purchase of my wii. Overall I bought around ten games for my wii. However, the $300 I spent on, brawl, mario kart, and the actual wii were the best $300 I spent on a home console all gen.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inb4uall

@Heil68 said:

@Blabadon said:

Indeed, After 2009 it wasn't a contest. SONY and the PS3 was the best console.

Which is why I disagree with the sentiment that the 360 won.

looking back the consoles that I see as winners are the ones with games I loved.

15 years from now I'm not gonna give two craps which system set trends. I'm going to look at the PS3 and it's awesome library.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Last_Ride

i will say PS3, i had the 360 for the most of the generation and i went through 3 of them, and i think the PS3 was better

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Blabadon said:

Yeah, but i think they fail to mention all the indie games on PS3 that have made a big difference in the last two years. Sony also provided us with games like Puppeteer, Rain, flower, Lumines, Tokyo Jungle, Sound Shapes, Super Stardust and Unfinished Swan for example

I'm 90% sure while neither me or heil mentioned the improved indie lineup, we did point out after awhile the large gulf between the exclusives the PS3 was getting vs the 360. Ergo by default we acknowledged those games being made when we also said Sony was pimping out newer ips late into the gen.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@jg4xchamp said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Blabadon said:

I'm 90% sure while neither me or heil mentioned the improved indie lineup, we did point out after awhile the large gulf between the exclusives the PS3 was getting vs the 360. Ergo by default we acknowledged those games being made when we also said Sony was pimping out newer ips late into the gen.

yeah i know you mentioned that, but you didn't really compare the libraries though

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jg4xchamp

@The_Last_Ride said:

yeah i know you mentioned that, but you didn't really compare the libraries though

It wouldn't have gotten anyone anywhere(that's not to say we didn't have this discussion go around in circles anyway), first it implies that there is no subjectivity there, and we have to handcuff people from thinking a certain game sucks, and I don't think anyone specifically wanted to discuss it by the metrics of the "metagame", because

A: **** that
B: no seriously **** that

so Eroica's point of we could have gone back n forth just naming games. Hence why we didn't go, plus most of the discussion seemed to focus on impact, the storyline of those 2 systems and their lifecycle, the bells and whistles surrounding the game, etc.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inb4uall

So will you guys do a DS vs PSP podcast then? :P

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

@jg4xchamp said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

It wouldn't have gotten anyone anywhere(that's not to say we didn't have this discussion go around in circles anyway), first it implies that there is no subjectivity there, and we have to handcuff people from thinking a certain game sucks, and I don't think anyone specifically wanted to discuss it by the metrics of the "metagame", because

A: **** that

B: no seriously **** that

so Eroica's point of we could have gone back n forth just naming games. Hence why we didn't go, plus most of the discussion seemed to focus on impact, the storyline of those 2 systems and their lifecycle, the bells and whistles surrounding the game, etc.

No i didn't mean name one game over the other. I mean that Sony provided a much bigger library. But PS3 has more higher rated games than 360, a lot more.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

PS3 easily. The same multies the 360 had, but with many, many more quality exclusives.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#23 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts

PS3>>Wii>>>>>>>>>>>Xbox360

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Last_Ride

@blamix said:

Wii had way more shovelware than 360 had

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bigboi500

@The_Last_Ride said:

@blamix said:

And more quality exclusives, reliable hardware, free online, perfect backwards compatibility...

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Blabadon

Lol Wii online

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

For me it was the XBox 360 most of the way. It had more exclusive then the PS3 for it's first 3 years. Had better multiplat games for more then 1/2 the generation. Still has more games overall for the system then the PS3. Had the better price for most of the 7th generation. Had the better online service that wasn't hacked and down for almost a month like PSN. The only two things the XBox 360 did wrong was 1) Have the terrible RROD issue for the first 2-3 yrs. 2) Lack of quality exclusives the last 3 years.

PS3 did everything wrong when it launched. 1) Marketed the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player instead of a game console. 2) Charged $500 & $600 for the PS3. 3) Made the system difficult to program for. 4) Didn't release many quality exclusives for 18 months until MGS IV was released.

XBox 360 >>>>>> PS3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wii.

@Bigboi500 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@blamix said:

And more quality exclusives, reliable hardware, free online, perfect backwards compatibility...

They didn't have any quality exclusive for the first 18 months. You do realize they removed the B/C & Linux support just 2 yrs after the system launched. The B/C wasn't perfect. Only 90-94% of the Ps2 games would work with the PS3. The online was free, but it wasn't great and was missing many features. The PS3 didn't even come with a headset for online games.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jg4xchamp

@The_Last_Ride said:

No i didn't mean name one game over the other. I mean that Sony provided a much bigger library. But PS3 has more higher rated games than 360, a lot more.

None of which was dismissed. I mean between the 4 of us we all agreed that the overall library on exclusives alone swung in PS3's favor.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

I've let this cast marinade a little since we recorded and I still end up where I started. Fact is, all three of the consoles provided more than ample reasons to buy and be satisfied, though I'd argue the Wii was the weakest to my own tastes even though it had one of the GOAT's in Actraiser on the VC.

The PS3 is an awesome console, made greater by sony's support and varied offerings as the generation went on.

The 360 dried up towards the end for sure, though it was front stacked, undoubtedly dwarfing the other two consoles for years kicking off the generation... though again, games were great all around.

What I can't get away from still is that the Xbox set a standard for how the business AND presentation of HD gaming would take shape. Sony's free online now follows xbox pricing model. The online juggernaut known as XBOX live which undoubtedly set the pace and paved the way for the future of online console gaming as we percieve it, (cross game chat, party chat, apps, services etc) all done through the xbox 360.

While I still believe it's valid to say "the ps3 was a better for me and my tastes", turning a blind eye to the far reaching impact of what microsoft did through that console to shape the gaming world we live in now, would be short sighted.

The 360 will be remembered as the best of generation 7, not just by pedal to the metal but in the history books.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Last_Ride

@jg4xchamp said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

None of which was dismissed. I mean between the 4 of us we all agreed that the overall library on exclusives alone swung in PS3's favor.

I still think PS3 gave us more though. Free Online, PS+, indie games, more exclusives, free apps, etc

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jg4xchamp

@The_Last_Ride said:

I still think PS3 gave us more though. Free Online, PS+, indie games, more exclusives, free apps, etc

Which again goes back to what did we miss?

That discussion was had on two fronts

if it was games: Me and Heil made the arguments you would have wanted us to make for the PS3

if it was impact: which is what animal and eroica argued.

Free Online=ignores a large time period where PSN was largely outclassed by Xbox Live

PSN+=ignores that PS+ only recently became what it is, otherwise it was a gimmicky coupon system for what most of 2010/2011 when it was in its inception.

indie games= was something again recent, and it having more is what we acknowledged at the tail end. otherwise XBLA led the charge in shaping that market on consoles.

free apps=a large majority showcasing on the 360 before they even were on the PS3

Otherwise it's not like the PS3's strengths were short changed, but it depends what you want to argue. Impact vs straight up games.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bigboi500

@blamix said:

Exactly this. 360's few exclusives are almost all tired ass bro shooters. Wii had original titles with great diversity and offered new and interesting ways to play games which paved the way for Kinect, a feature that's heavily depended upon by the Xbox One in this new generation.

People try to deny it, but exclusive games play a great role in determining the value of the system in question. A system like the Wii should be praised for doing its own thing and being a breath of fresh air instead of being looked down on for not having samey watered down multiplats and conforming to parity and stagnation.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68

@Bigboi500 said:

@blamix said:

Exactly this. 360's few exclusives are almost all tired ass bro shooters. Wii had original titles with great diversity and offered new and interesting ways to play games which paved the way for Kinect, a feature that's heavily depended upon by the Xbox One in this new generation.

People try to deny it, but exclusive games play a great role in determining the value of the system in question. A system like the Wii should be praised for doing its own thing and being a breath of fresh air instead of being looked down on for not having samey watered down multiplats and conforming to parity and stagnation.

Games really sold me last gen, not to mention how SONY supported the PS3 all through 2013.

You should come on the show next week Bigboi500, we would love to have you. All you need is Skype!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 The_Last_Ride

@jg4xchamp said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Which again goes back to what did we miss?

That discussion was had on two fronts

if it was games: Me and Heil made the arguments you would have wanted us to make for the PS3

if it was impact: which is what animal and eroica argued.

Free Online=ignores a large time period where PSN was largely outclassed by Xbox Live

PSN+=ignores that PS+ only recently became what it is, otherwise it was a gimmicky coupon system for what most of 2010/2011 when it was in its inception.

indie games= was something again recent, and it having more is what we acknowledged at the tail end. otherwise XBLA led the charge in shaping that market on consoles.

free apps=a large majority showcasing on the 360 before they even were on the PS3

Otherwise it's not like the PS3's strengths were short changed, but it depends what you want to argue. Impact vs straight up games.

True, but indie has been a thing since Braid and Limbo stumbled into the scenes. 2012 was the year those games really shined, but there were indie games before that

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#36 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Xbox 360

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

The 360 ended up being a total joke of a console, the PS3 had far and away the best games, sold the same if not more with a year less out in market.

PS3 had better games, better and more exclusives, it had the award winning envelope pushing titles.

It's not even close the PS3 destroyed the 360.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Blabadon

Well, we finally got a complete joke post.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

PS3 slightly better than Xbox 360.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68

@Blabadon said:

Well, we finally got a complete joke post.

Someone bring up 999?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Blabadon

I remember when these threads could actually hit 999 posts without it just being me and champ bumping them.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68

@Blabadon said:

I remember when these threads could actually hit 999 posts without it just being me and champ bumping them.

The good ole days! We could jump start them pretty easily though and E3 is coming up. We'll have a huge extravaganza for that like we did last year with Live shows and prizes!

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blabadon

The live show ruled. I really hope you get into E3 and we see Heil's Hasselhoff face.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heil68

@Blabadon said:

The live show ruled. I really hope you get into E3 and we see Heil's Hasselhoff face.

I doubt we would get invited. :P I'd love to go though.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 The_Last_Ride

@Eddie-Vedder said:

The 360 ended up being a total joke of a console, the PS3 had far and away the best games, sold the same if not more with a year less out in market.

PS3 had better games, better and more exclusives, it had the award winning envelope pushing titles.

i agree with that except for 360 being a joke console, it's still a good console, just did not have any games after 2011

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheEroica  Moderator

@Eddie-Vedder: Eddie, come on Pedal to the metal with us this week. Thursday. You've been a long time friend of the show and system wars would love to hear ya.

Oh and ps3 sux :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Heil68

@Eddie-Vedder said:

I agree with @TheEroica, you need to come on the podcast!

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@Heil68: you agree ps3 sux too... P2m's console of gen 7 is the godbox360 :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points