PC with console gamers. Have the console exclusives made it a worthy or regrettable purchase?

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts

In my experience exclusives such as Bloodborne, Persona 5 and Wipeout Omega Collection were truly amazing games. Some were average to great such as Spiderman, Dreams, GOW, U4, HZD and Until dawn but ultimately a bit overrated.

I feel that the PS4 (Pro) really justified itself also with its plethora of VR support such as UD Rush of Blood, Astro Bot, Farpoint, Resi 7 VR and Firewall. So the PS4 was a worthy buy alongside a PC in my eyes.. Excited to see what the XSX and PS5 offers alongside PC.

How have other PC users fared with their console purchases this gen(Switch/PS4/X)? worth it or wasted bucks? skipping consoles next gen? Do you want to punch Sony/Nintendo/MS in the dick or welcome them with open arms next gen?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

Switch and PS4 owner. Definitely worth the purchase, but if you multiplat game on PC like I do, there can definitely be dry spots.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Worthy PC and PS4 is a great gaming combo.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 floppydics

@lundy86_4 said:

Switch and PS4 owner. Definitely worth the purchase, but if you multiplat game on PC like I do, there can definitely be dry spots.

Very true the PS4 does have massive gaps purely for exclusives but I tend to play multiplats on PC also. But I can barely keep up with everything getting released and have a backlog of games on PC to last a lifetime. I have nearly a 1000 games on steam alone let alone GOG, Epic, Uplay etc lol. Even Covid hasn't helped me dent the backlog :)

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Went through a spell of PS4 only for a while, loved HZD and Yakuza, about it I'm afraid. Hate me all you want, DAI is one of my favs of this gen, and odyssey.

Was considering pre-ordering a lou2 edition pro, but 44+ decibels is pretty fucking loud. I've also spent like £3000/$3650 on my new rig, probably time to stop spending. Likely be PC only for the next couple of years to be honest.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 floppydics

@Random_Matt said:

Went through a spell of PS4 only for a while, loved HZD and Yakuza, about it I'm afraid. Hate me all you want, DAI is one of my favs of this gen, and odyssey.

Was considering pre-ordering a lou2 edition pro, but 44+ decibels is pretty fucking loud. I've also spent like £3000/$3650 on my new rig, probably time to stop spending. Likely be PC only for the next couple of years to be honest.

Must be a beastly rig :) Nice...Does feel late in the gen to be getting a PS4 Pro especially with that shiny new gear seeing as there's not much of this gen left. I would defo hold off.

On another note I'm playing through AC Odyssey at the moment and I'm very impressed. Will likely end up my favourite of the AC series.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Switch and PS4, I'd say it was worth it. Switch more so than the PS4 but I consider them both good purchases.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@floppydics said:
@Random_Matt said:

Must be a beastly rig :) Nice...Does feel late in the gen to be getting a PS4 Pro especially with that shiny new gear seeing as there's not much of this gen left. I would defo hold off.

On another note I'm playing through AC Odyssey at the moment and I'm very impressed. Will likely end up my favourite of the AC series.

Fancied bling and got the X570 Aqua, worth the money? Nope. And yeah, odyssey is my favorite one too, although only ever played number two and three briefly, thought they were dogshit.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

@floppydics said:

Very true the PS4 does have massive gaps purely for exclusives but I tend to play multiplats on PC also. But I can barely keep up with everything getting released and have a backlog of games on PC to last a lifetime. I have nearly a 1000 games on steam alone let alone GOG, Epic, Uplay etc lol. Even Covid hasn't helped me dent the backlog :)

Yeah, new releases always rope me in lol. Fortunately, June is a giant nothing-burger, so i'll finish up an OG FF7 playthrough, and I have Xenoblade DE coming for switch in the first-ish week of June. I'm off work indefinitely ATM (personal choice), so i'm jogging through a few titles.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

I have PC, Switch, and PS4. I use all of them for all types of games, not just exclusive. PC doesn't always have the best version. For example, Nier Automata PC port sucks. Or I'll get a multiplat on Switch because I love the portability. Certain games I enjoy on PC by default, like Divinity Original Sin. So I get the best of all worlds, and I like it that way.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Own Xbox, Ps4, switch PC

Switch I don't use it except for BOTW. Handheld gaming isn't my thing. However the kids and missus use it a lot. Really wish it had netflix/media player.

Xbox has gamepass, which has made it worth while in itself especially for the kids and my wallet. It as a media hub is fantastic, will play any video format you throw at it and "just works" for steaming over LAN.
I love the kinect 2.0 sensor though I don't use it for gaming, such a worth while piece of tech for what it is. I use it to create 3d models of the kids, just for a keepsakes. Kids use it for Just Dance which they all love. Exclusives don't exist here anymore. It also doesn't help online here in Aus is really quiet for most games compared to PS4/PC

I don't think I'll be getting a XSX until they are cheap 2nd hand.

PS4. Love it, exclusives are usually a must, Plenty of exclusives to keep me on it, use it for MP games as well.

VR is amazing for the price, especially since the PS4 is the bottleneck. Can't wait to see what the PS5 brings. Getting Day 1. If they stop doing exclusives I'll abandon ship like I did with xbox and just use the extra $ for my PC.

PC. Is my main SP console, though is in need of some newer hardware.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#12  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

It's always a waste of money buying consoles just to play exclusives that should be on PC, but I would rather play the games than miss out on them.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Sadly, my PS4 is collecting dust now, while my Switch and PC gets regularly used.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

This gen, for the PS4, yes. The switch and xbox suck though. Maybe if Metroid Prime 4 and SMTV ever come out, I'll get some fun out of the former at least.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

PC and Switch is definitely worth it. My PS4 has justified itself as well.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

3DS > Switch > PS4

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#17 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I've been PC + Sony consoles since the PS2 era and generally found it to be a good mix.

I'd much rather everything come to PC but it seems like that ain't happening with Sony so i'll begrudgingly accept buying the consoles to play the handful of worthwhile exclusives they get each gen

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Not regrettable since I knew what I was getting into. Wouldn't say worthy either though. There were very few exclusives that I found appealing, and of those a whole whopping two games felt like "must play" material to me.

Wouldn't be an exaggeration to say I game more on my PC in one month than I game on my combined consoles in one year. That's actually an understatement, usage comparison would be worse than that across the gen.

But still

Consoles are cheap and if a system has just one exclusive I'm really interested in, I'll grab it.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

PC - Switch - PS4 - Xbox One S

The only one I don’t find worth it is the Xbox. Everything I’d want to play on it I’d rather play on the PC or PS4.

Though I will say the gamepass is pretty darn solid. Especially if you get in on the sales. Kudos to MS for that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58308 Posts

I am primarily solely a PC gamer and while I don't regret the PS4 purchase I made, I don't think it was worthwhile. Found a cheap one, bought some older games and some newer ones. Tried them out, had a bit of fun, but it's been collecting dust for the past year or two.

The exclusives were good, but not that good.

@ConanTheStoner said:

Not regrettable since I knew what I was getting into. Wouldn't say worthy either though. There were very few exclusives that I found appealing, and of those a whole whopping two games felt like "must play" material to me.

Wouldn't be an exaggeration to say I game more on my PC in one month than I game on my combined consoles in one year. That's actually an understatement, usage comparison would be worse than that across the gen.

But still

Consoles are cheap and if a system has just one exclusive I'm really interested in, I'll grab it.

Yeah that's how I felt when I bought the PS4 but...meh, don't think I will buy a PS5 based on my experiences with its previous version.

Got Bloodborne and Horizon: Zero Dawn and there I was going back to PC to play 15-dollar indie games and a 7+ year old flight simulator.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

Forever a PC gamer. I will say my purchase of PS4 in its early year was a hit or a miss to a degree but overall, not a bad purchase for the exclusive games it has to offer such as Bloodborne, Infamous: Second Son, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Marvel's Spider-Man, God of War 4, and soon to be both TLOU & Ghost of Tsushima. And then, came along Nintendo Switch, and it's on par with my PS4 as far as playing the exclusive game goes.

I did however bought an Xbox One 2 years after the launch and found it to be the redundant of a console this gen has to offer and it's becoming clear I'll never buy an Xbox console ever again all due to MS now supports PC and thank you MS, that's one less console I have to put up. I ended up giving my Xbox One to my daughter since she needed a Blu-Ray player to use since we both game on our PC.

Avatar image for masonshoemocker
masonshoemocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 masonshoemocker
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts

Primarily PC and Xbox. I have a PS4 too but it collects dust. I have Spider-man for it and some kid games like Little Big Planet and what not for the son. I do want to play the FF7 remake, God of War, and maybe The Last of Us 2 (waiting on reviews & comments).

I mainly play PC now and I use my Xbox to game with co-workers/friends since the majority of them are on it. Some online shooters I'll play on Xbox if I find aimbotters on PC to be a nuisance for specific games. Game Pass Ultimate between PC and Xbox is pretty nice especially with the $1 conversion deal I did through what ever year I set it up for. For sure though I've found value with having the Xbox due to Game Pass and IRL friends also on Xbox.

I have a Switch too. I don't mess it with it much. I find as an adult with family, work, and exercise my gaming now limits me to focus only on a couple games. Modern Warfare and GTA Online are on rotation for me pretty much and I'll throw in a game from my backlog in there once a month.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#23 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

I'll list consoles and the exclusives that interest me

PS4:

- God of War

- Horizon (No longer exclusive)

- Persona 5 (Not exclusive)

- Ghost of Tsushima (have a feeling it won't be exclusive forever)

Switch:

- Smash Bros Ultimate (Not entirely exclusive)

- Zelda Breath of the Wild 2

- Metroid Prime 4

Xbox:

- Halo Collection (No longer exclusive)

- Gears of War Trilogy

My criteria for purchasing a system is for them to have at least 10 exclusives of interest, none of the consoles qualified (in fact exclusives come to PC eventually), the Switch and PS3 (relevant for Persona 5) is already being emulated so there goes my incentive for getting the system(s), Because I do 1080p and 60fps at minimum and none of the consoles offer that.

Otherwise 90% of my library is comprised of multiplats (it has been that way since the PS3 era), and I guarantee that is also the case with every single console gamer out there, I can easily bet my life savings that (besides the Switch) console gamers have far more muliplats than they do exclusives, in which case what makes you think having a PC would give you a "dry spell"? PC gamers are pretty much playing every game console gamers are playing besides the few handful of exclusives on consoles (to the 100s of exclusives on PC).

then for the PS4 there is the PS Now service so most PS4 exclusives are available on PC anyway, so again what are we missing out on? in summary, no I still think consoles are not worth purchasing and to those who say otherwise obviously do not have a capable gaming PC, at this point comparing the platform is...asinine.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

Absolutely not. none of console exclusive interest me at all. especially nowadays most of them are cinematic movie games.

@warmblur said:

No. they are exact opposite of each other.

PS4 offer nothing but movie games that play itself. PC offer best of gamey games even best version of multiplats.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Got a Switch, which I'm happy with. Got around 10 games that I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

@Litchie said:

Got a Switch, which I'm happy with. Got around 10 games that I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on.

but switch have mostly childish games.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

I'm happy with my switch. Currently playing Astral Chain. Have xenoblade 1 on the way. Havent even bought animal crossing or Luigis mansion 3 (still need to finish the first 2) or brawl or Pokemon (though i am iffy on Pokemon. i get the sense that game freak really dropped the ball on that one....er...excuse the pun :S). plenty of exclusive stuff to play on it. there is probably more on the to buy backlog and i am sure there is more to come (MP4 for example).

I didn't bother with a PS4 or X1 this gen but i plan to get a PS5 and raid the PS4 backlog. sometimes skipping a gen on a platform can be a real benefit too. I wish i knew what was coming when i got my wiiu.

I didn't play my 3DS for ages but its kinda becoming my weekend morning gaming device. i am currently playing severed on it (though i don't think that's exclusive). i was playing crimson shroud too. i loved the concept of it but it got pretty grindy and i lost interest.

probably the only purchase i regret this gen is the wiiu simply because pretty much all of its top games are on the switch now. i think pikmin 3 is getting a port which only leaves xenoblade X to port (hopefully it gets one....underrated gem imho).

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Absolutely not. none of console exclusive interest me at all. especially nowadays most of them are cinematic movie games.

@warmblur said:

No. they are exact opposite of each other.

PS4 offer nothing but movie games that play itself. PC offer best of gamey games even best version of multiplats.

It's pretty obvious that you just don't play enough games to know about the PS4 library.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Got a Switch and a PS4. They mostly collect dust but I don't regret having them.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

PC and PS4 Pro here. PC is my primary gaming platform. I even play sports games on PC (PES) because of mods which bring me a much better gameplay experience.

I bought PS4 Pro only for the exclusives, and I'm not disappointed.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

but switch have mostly childish games.

Yes. Also, Hitman, Mafia, Max Payne, Half-Life, Metro, System Shock, STALKER, DOOM, FEAR, and so on and so forth.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 floppydics

@Ibacai said:

PC - Switch - PS4 - Xbox One S

The only one I don’t find worth it is the Xbox. Everything I’d want to play on it I’d rather play on the PC or PS4.

Though I will say the gamepass is pretty darn solid. Especially if you get in on the sales. Kudos to MS for that.

As much as I think gamepass is amazing value and really consumer friendly, I will probably never buy another MS console as long as they keep bringing their games to PC. MS is really bringing it with the XSX but if you tend to keep generally up to date with PC hardware it renders MS consoles pointless for me, console looks great though no hate.

I will be a bit more patient this gen and wait until there is a good few exclusives before I consider buying the PS5. Probably lol.