PC Versus Consoles, the real world cost difference?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

@hoosier7 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@hoosier7 said:

I've literally just ordered a load of parts for a new PC build. For what i wanted it'll come in at around £660, not far off double the PS4's price, you could go cheaper and have something nearer to consoles but i didn't want to be fighting with settings or compromising. Even then the CPU might need upgrading in a year or two as it's only an FX6300 so hopefully mantle will come through in full force but the 280x card looks pretty solid so i should be set for 1080p, 60fps gaming. The idea of building a PC to match the consoles now at the same price really doesn't exist here in the UK as parts are pretty expensive.

Just a question, why does the PC need a high end CPUs when the new consoles can get away with those 1.6Ghz lower end AMD CPUs?

This is partly because i play strategy titles though, the FX6300 is a solid CPU for non-CPU heavy games but titles simply aren't optimised very well often (like Watchdogs i've heard needs an i7) so you get bottlenecking, i've heard i'll get this problem with Rome 2 which is a shame.The hope is that Mantle will help as my CPU doesn't offer the best performance in the first two cores compared to it's Intel counterparts, with Mantle aiding the use of all 6 cores and the jump to consoles being quad core, i might be able to keep performance ok for a good time.

So yeh it's optimisation and core usage, DX12 and Mantle should help and the biggest gains are being seen at the lower end CPUs. Tbh it's not that the FX6300 offers particularly poor performance especially at it's £70 price point, it's just that it's not up to the same level as my GPU so it's partly me just wanting more.

That's how i understand it in my case anyway with my ok knowledge of PC gaming.

I was just looking up that CPU, it seems powerful. I can't imagine you needing an update for a while.

Hopefully DX12 will solve some of these issues and bring better optimization to the PC. If only it wasn't so far off lol.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#52  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@scottpsfan14

YES ! :) Just YES TO EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID ! I literally cannot disagree with a single thing you said.... Which is Huge because I "disagree" all the time...... You know what.... This is a "Breakout the expensive wine" type moment and thats exactly what I'm gonna do. :D

lol, I actually agree with him as well. It was a nice post that had valid facts & opinions that I also share. The only thing that's different for me, is that these days, I prefer gaming on my PC more than my console's for some reason. I still have a PS3 & PS4 for the console exclusives that interest me though (The Last of Us 2 , I'm looking at you.). Hopefully some good jrpg's or something starts getting announced other than FPS's, or my PS4 is really going to unfortunately continue to collect dust....................................until Uncharted 4 & Metal Gear V. :P

sneslover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By sneslover
Member since 2005 • 957 Posts

@hoosier7 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@hoosier7 said:

I've literally just ordered a load of parts for a new PC build. For what i wanted it'll come in at around £660, not far off double the PS4's price, you could go cheaper and have something nearer to consoles but i didn't want to be fighting with settings or compromising. Even then the CPU might need upgrading in a year or two as it's only an FX6300 so hopefully mantle will come through in full force but the 280x card looks pretty solid so i should be set for 1080p, 60fps gaming. The idea of building a PC to match the consoles now at the same price really doesn't exist here in the UK as parts are pretty expensive.

Just a question, why does the PC need a high end CPUs when the new consoles can get away with those 1.6Ghz lower end AMD CPUs?

This is partly because i play strategy titles though, the FX6300 is a solid CPU for non-CPU heavy games but titles simply aren't optimised very well often (like Watchdogs i've heard needs an i7) so you get bottlenecking, i've heard i'll get this problem with Rome 2 which is a shame.The hope is that Mantle will help as my CPU doesn't offer the best performance in the first two cores compared to it's Intel counterparts, with Mantle aiding the use of all 6 cores and the jump to consoles being quad core, i might be able to keep performance ok for a good time.

So yeh it's optimisation and core usage, DX12 and Mantle should help and the biggest gains are being seen at the lower end CPUs. Tbh it's not that the FX6300 offers particularly poor performance especially at it's £70 price point, it's just that it's not up to the same level as my GPU so it's partly me just wanting more.

That's how i understand it in my case anyway with my ok knowledge of PC gaming.

Your CPU will always be stronger than the consoles', even if it becomes outdated. It's a shame AMD will not launch one last Steamroller FX CPU to close out the AM3+ socket.