PC Gaming is a Fraud

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

@ferret-gamer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@menes777 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

So then you admit I was correct. New computers cannot play old games without additional downloads.

Changing the goal posts again? PC is backward compatible without just about anything. What can you download on the PS4 that will let you play your PS2 or PS1 games? (not remakes or HD versions) What can you download on the X1 to let you play your original Xbox games? It's funny how you keep changing the goal posts because you keep getting proven wrong. How about actually answering the questions above. What games are you trying to get working?

That's not a change. When new computers come out they are not concerned with making them backward compatible now are they? That's like saying the Genesis was intended to play Mastersystem games when it wasn't. An add on was required.

Saying PC isn't backwards compatible some games because sometimes you use extra software makes no sense. Downloading software is not equivalent to using an "add on" for a console.

Going by that logic then new computers would be unable to play many current games without an "add-on" because they use software that doesn't come with vanilla windows like nvidia physx, opengl, or just graphics drivers in general.

There will always be a way to play old games on PC, if you want to, and know how you can. Plain and simple. If it comes down to it you can run an older OS in a virtual machine on your computer and play the game in its native enviroment

Okay that's fine. But that isn't what I'm talking about. I'm not talking downloads. They aren't quite the same thing now are they? I prefer disks for games, movies, and music. Digital is only for things I'm not heavily invested in or can't get any other way. I'd imagine if I really want a game....and can only buy it digitally I will do that. But for purposes I'm talking in here...it's now about downloading.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Pc owns consoles get over it TC. Next year most likely you will get similar or better performance of that pc dual gpu setup in a single card for less money. can you say real 4k gaming. I will buy a ps4 for the exclusives NOT for graphics.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#153  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

So then you admit I was correct. New computers cannot play old games without additional downloads.

But they can still play old games. What difference does it make if emulator software is used? The game can still be played and with no extra hardware. that's a really poor argument.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 LJS9502_basic

@heretrix said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

But they can still play old games. What difference does it make if emulator software is used? The game can still be played and with no extra hardware. that's a really poor argument.

They need a work around not put in by the new creator no?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 LJS9502_basic

And FYI my point wasn't even about PCs. It was about the instances of BC. Whether or not a PC is...that is immaterial. That's still just one case out of the total number.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Lumpy311 said:

@Renevent42 said:

@clyde46 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Found this quote on the internet which leads me to believe some of you just don't have a clue...

What game is it? A lot of old games that came out before Windows NT will not work on NT-based systems like Windows XP and up.

DOSbox. There are many programs out there that can play old games on new OS's. Just because you can't make them work doesn't mean they are broken.

Was just about to mention that. I play old games all the way back to the DOS games (1980's) on my PC all the time.

30 years of gaming on a single system... it's damn impressive.

And you can play a full backlog of console games on your PC from the Wii all the way to the intellivision.

And not just that but I can fully record and edit them on my PC.

I've done that with Castlevania for the x68000.

Loading Video...

Parasite Eve 1 for the PS1.

Loading Video...

Albert Odyssey for the Sega Saturn

Loading Video...

Darkwatch for the PS2

Loading Video...

Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube.

Loading Video...

And Parasite Eve: The Third Birthday for the PSP

Loading Video...

I can play all these games on my PC in high resolution with a large selection of controllers to suit my needs.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@menes777 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Changing the goal posts again? PC is backward compatible without just about anything. What can you download on the PS4 that will let you play your PS2 or PS1 games? (not remakes or HD versions) What can you download on the X1 to let you play your original Xbox games? It's funny how you keep changing the goal posts because you keep getting proven wrong. How about actually answering the questions above. What games are you trying to get working?

That's not a change. When new computers come out they are not concerned with making them backward compatible now are they? That's like saying the Genesis was intended to play Mastersystem games when it wasn't. An add on was required.

New computers? Wut? A PC is more than just an OS.

Let me ask you this Clyde....out of the box without you doing anything to it...will your current PC play an old game in and of itself or do you need a work around to play that?

Unless you are talking DOS era, then yes, it shouldn't have an issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#158  Edited By deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@ferret-gamer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@menes777 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Saying PC isn't backwards compatible some games because sometimes you use extra software makes no sense. Downloading software is not equivalent to using an "add on" for a console.

Going by that logic then new computers would be unable to play many current games without an "add-on" because they use software that doesn't come with vanilla windows like nvidia physx, opengl, or just graphics drivers in general.

There will always be a way to play old games on PC, if you want to, and know how you can. Plain and simple. If it comes down to it you can run an older OS in a virtual machine on your computer and play the game in its native enviroment

Okay that's fine. But that isn't what I'm talking about. I'm not talking downloads. They aren't quite the same thing now are they? I prefer disks for games, movies, and music. Digital is only for things I'm not heavily invested in or can't get any other way. I'd imagine if I really want a game....and can only buy it digitally I will do that. But for purposes I'm talking in here...it's now about downloading.

On the previous page :

@LJS9502_basic said:

So... what was this about you not talking about downloads?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 clyde46

@LJS9502_basic said:

@heretrix said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

You need to pay MS or Sony for an HD remake if you want to play old games.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

@LJS9502_basic:

This game? http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/25046/

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Anyway my initial response still stands. Not all old PC games will play under new operating systems.

Like I said bro,

Post 95 in this thread, you said : "you really can't play all really old games on new PCs."

Nothing about operating systems in there. PC is Hardware, it was a hardware discussion.

You came to the hardware discussion with incorrect information.

@LJS9502_basic said:

Who were you talking to here? You didn't hit 'reply' or 'quote', so could one assume you were merely talking to yourself?

I mean, if you hit reply or quote the person who you're talking with will receive a notification. I'm really interested in who you were talking to, because, just like the quote above - you're misrepresenting what you said.

I mean jesus christ, one could argue that the game itself is an 'additional download'. So technically yeah you are correct. You win at arguing against a position nobody actually holds!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@clyde46 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

Let me ask you this Clyde....out of the box without you doing anything to it...will your current PC play an old game in and of itself or do you need a work around to play that?

Well then we have a no BC for DOS era. But if there are no issues...then why do you need an emulator? When I talk BC I mean pop a disk in and go. Which I think you will admit isn't going to happen with all the old disks.

I also don't know how this got sidetracked because I didn't initially say PC don't play older games. Some do have issues....which I found out when I got my new PC. It actually worked on my old PC. And none of the work arounds helped me. Which sucks. I suppose I could dig my old tower out and connect up to it to play the game.

But anyway.....not counting the PC....more consoles are not BC than are.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#163 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@heretrix said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

It doesn't matter. It's a simple software fix or emulator. The games still work. Like I said, you are making a really poor argument. The PC is an open platform so making software like DOSBOX is really simple for someone to make and get out to the public. It's certainly better than any console solution which is NOTHING. Not to mention platforms like Steam and GOG selling the games with the proper emulators installed already. I still have games I bought for my original PC back in 1995 that with very little effort I can get working.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 LJS9502_basic

@ferret-gamer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

On the previous page :

@LJS9502_basic said:

DOSbox etc....not about downloading the game itself.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 RyviusARC

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

Well then we have a no BC for DOS era. But if there is no issues...then why do you need an emulator? When I talk BC I mean pop a disk in and go. Which I think you will admit isn't going to happen with all the old disks.

I also don't know how this got sidetracked because I didn't initially say PC don't play older games. Some do have issues....which I found out when I got my new PC. It actually worked on my old PC. And none of the work arounds helped me. Which sucks. I suppose I could dig my old tower out and connect up to it to play the game.

What game are you having trouble getting to work properly?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

wtf is going on in this thread? somehow we're on Backwards compatibility...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 LJS9502_basic

@heretrix said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@heretrix said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

It doesn't matter. It's a simple software fix or emulator. The games still work. Like I said, you are making a really poor argument. The PC is an open platform so making software like DOSBOX is really simple for someone to make and get out to the public. It's certainly better than any console solution which is NOTHING. Not to mention platforms like Steam and GOG selling the games with the proper emulators installed already. I still have games I bought for my original PC back in 1995 that with very little effort I can get working.

You're actually almost getting it but not quite. I never said the PC can't play old games. I said there are some that just won't work. Nothing is 100%.

And to make the old games work as you admit an emulator is needed. That means that without any adjustments the PC is not BC with older software.

That's like people who mod their consoles to play games not intended for their console. Sure it can be done...but it wasn't intended as part of the console experience.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 RyviusARC

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@menes777 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

That is a dumb arguement as newer consoles need to download updates to become fully operational and most of the time when you first put in a game it needs to download updates before you can play it.....

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 lostrib

@LJS9502_basic said:

@heretrix said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@heretrix said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

You're actually almost getting it but not quite. I never said the PC can't play old games. I said there are some that just won't work. Nothing is 100%.

And to make the old games work as you admit an emulator is needed. That means that without any adjustments the PC is not BC with older software.

That's like people who mod their consoles to play games not intended for their console. Sure it can be done...but it wasn't intended as part of the console experience.

an emulator is just a program/application. PCs are intended to run applications, thus running emulators for backwards compatibility is part of the intended PC experience

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By RyviusARC

@LJS9502_basic said:

@heretrix said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@heretrix said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Then by your very own argument newer consoles themselves won't play most of their own games that were made for there system because they need to download additional updates before you can play.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 LJS9502_basic

@lostrib said:

LOL I honestly don't know. Two dudes were arguing about that in regard to the X1 and PS4 and I said including all consoles and PC it's a rare occurrence.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 LJS9502_basic

@RyviusARC said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

That is a dumb arguement as newer consoles need to download updates to become fully operational and most of the time when you first put in a game it needs to download updates before you can play it.....

I'm not actually sure WTF you are talking about here dude.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 lostrib

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

LOL I honestly don't know. Two dudes were arguing about that in regard to the X1 and PS4 and I said including all consoles and PC it's a rare occurrence.

problem is, it's not a rare occurence on PC. I guess if you took the time to total up all the consoles then probably a minority would have backwards compatibility. But i'd imagine some of that is due to a change in format (cartridge->DVD).

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By RyviusARC

@LJS9502_basic said:

@RyviusARC said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

You were trying to make the argument that a PC is not fully backwards compatible with some older games because it needed to download something in order for the game to work.

By that very same logic newer consoles are not compatible with their own games because they need to download something in order for the game to work.

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By granddogg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

LJ. let us help you what games do you want to play all this back and forth is cool but we all are here for gaming new or old ......what do you want to play?

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clyde46 said:

Well then we have a no BC for DOS era. But if there is no issues...then why do you need an emulator? When I talk BC I mean pop a disk in and go. Which I think you will admit isn't going to happen with all the old disks.

What game are you having trouble getting to work properly?

He says Shannara, which I will try tonight and see how easy it is. Then post instructions.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 LJS9502_basic

@lostrib said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

problem is, it's not a rare occurence on PC. I guess if you took the time to total up all the consoles then probably a minority would have backwards compatibility. But i'd imagine some of that is due to a change in format (cartridge->DVD).

Uh that's not what I said though. I said including the PC as a gaming device.....BC is still rare. And yes new formats would be problematic...but even sticking to the same format....few were BC.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By psymon100

@granddogg said:

LJ. let us help you what games do you want to play all this back and forth is cool but we all are here for gaming new or old ......what do you want to play?

Haha honestly yes this. What are the games? You have been asked multiple times.

Theme Hospital? Scorched Earth? Willy Beamish? Doom 1? Heretic? Magic carpet? Command and Conquer 1? Warcraft 1? The Dig?

EDIT: Thanks Menes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannara_(video_game) I'll have a look.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 RyviusARC

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

Uh that's not what I said though. I said including the PC as a gaming device.....BC is still rare. And yes new formats would be problematic...but even sticking to the same format....few were BC.

BC compatibility is not rare on PC as a gaming device....

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 clyde46

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

That is false. The PC is the easiest to play old games on.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

ROFL..............

Stupid people everywhere.

Mainly 1 though.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@RyviusARC said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@RyviusARC said:

You were trying to make the argument that a PC is not fully backwards compatible with some older games because it needed to download something in order for the game to work.

By that very same logic newer consoles are not compatible with their own games because they need to download something in order for the game to work.

Actually that wasn't it. I did say not all games will play on current PCs. I did not say all or most. I said some. And I said that because I haven't been able to get one to work. And before you all chime in again...yes I did try all the fixes you've already mentioned. I gave up on the game. It just wouldn't work. So I qualified my statement for that reason...and because I don't like to generalize anything since an exception can always been found. But my argument wasn't really about the PC. I just allowed that as a gaming device because it isn't as restricted as consoles...it would still be a minority case that BC is common.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#183  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

You know, this System Wars stuff is fun when it's light-hearted, but damn some of you guys take it way too far. Stop making up bullshit, and stop putting it online. It's like some of you people have no decency about yourselves at all.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 LJS9502_basic

@clyde46 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

That is false. The PC is the easiest to play old games on.

*sigh* I don't know what you read. But I'll tell you it again. Comparing the history of gaming and all the various devices that have been used...ie computers, consoles, handhelds....what ever....BC is more rare than common.

I really don't know where you came up with the PC being hard to play old games on from that sentence dude.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#185  Edited By deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@ferret-gamer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

On the previous page :

@LJS9502_basic said:

DOSbox etc....not about downloading the game itself.

That is what i was talking about as well. Saying PC doesn't have backwards compatibility for something because you have to install some software is an amazingly crap argument.

I was even talking about before that many current games wouldn't even run correctly or at all on vanilla windows because they need extra software that doesn't come with vanilla windows.

So, according to your logic, PC doesn't even have compatibility with current games

Oh, lets not forget that homebuilt PCs don't come with a preinstalled operating systems. I guess that means my computer would be incompatible with everything because i had to install windows, something that didn't come preinstalled on my HDD.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@psymon100 said:

@granddogg said:

Theme Hospital? Scorched Earth? Willy Beamish? Doom 1? Heretic? Magic carpet? Command and Conquer 1? Warcraft 1? The Dig?

EDIT: Thanks Menes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannara_(video_game) I'll have a look.

1. Install dosbox

2. download Shannara

3. Put files in a folder

4. Start dosbox

5. mount that folder to a drive

6. navigate there in DOS

7. type shannara.exe

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 LJS9502_basic

@RyviusARC said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

BC compatibility is not rare on PC as a gaming device....

I did not in that sentence ANYWHERE say BC is rare on the PC. I said including it as a gaming device....BC is still not common counting all the gaming devices as the pool from which we're talking.

I'm not entirely sure why you guys are reading it as PC is not BC. I said some games don't entirely work. I never said it wasn't BC.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 LJS9502_basic

@AMD655 said:

ROFL..............

Stupid people everywhere.

Mainly 1 though.

I'm thinking more than one since several are attributing ideas to me I did not say.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 psymon100

@Renevent42 said:

@psymon100 said:

@granddogg said:

1. Install dosbox

2. download Shannara

3. Put files in a folder

4. Start dosbox

6. navigate there in DOS

7. type shannara.exe

Good work soldier. I too can confirm that the game works.

So. Are there any other games which don't work?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 LJS9502_basic

@psymon100: You have the disk then?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Renevent42

The files are exactly the same...all these are just the original files off the disks/cd's. If yours doesn't work it's not due to any difference in the files, it's because there might be something wrong with your disks/cds (ie physical/file corruption).

Basically all you would have to do is instead of downloading it, simply copy the files and folders off the disk/cd to a folder on your computer and the rest of the steps are exactly the same.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Renevent42 said:

The files are exactly the same.

Yet my PC doesn't want to play the game disk no matter what I try.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 psymon100

@LJS9502_basic said:

Yes. Can you prove I don't? Moot point.

Game works bro. You were wrong bro. It was easy bro.

Bro.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 LJS9502_basic

@psymon100 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Bro.

You know there's no need to be dishonest bro....

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Renevent42

The files are exactly the same. The site merely lets you download the exact files that are on the original disks.

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Renevent42 said:

The files are exactly the same.

Yet my PC doesn't want to play the game disk no matter what I try.

I guarantee this works, and the reason you can't play is something you are doing wrong on your end (or your disk is corrupt). In fact, I tell you what, zip up the files and post it (it's only like 100MB) and I'll play your version too.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 psymon100

@LJS9502_basic said:

@psymon100 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Bro.

You know there's no need to be dishonest bro....

Proof?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Renevent42

@walloftruth said:

@Renevent42 said:

@psymon100 said:

@granddogg said:

1. Install dosbox

2. download Shannara

3. Put files in a folder

4. Start dosbox

6. navigate there in DOS

7. type shannara.exe

Reported for piracy. See? That's why I hate the PC crowd, they always steal their games, is it really that hard to simply buy the damn game on GoG? People like you are like plaque on a dog's teeth.

LOL!

I was merely trying to assist LJ, I really have no interest in this game at all. I also probably buy more games then you, and all the game I play I do pay for. I have 162 games on Steam alone and that doesn't include all the physical copies on multiple systems that I own.

Way to overreact like a weirdo.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 psymon100

@walloftruth said:

@Renevent42 said:

@psymon100 said:

@granddogg said:

1. Install dosbox

2. download Shannara

3. Put files in a folder

4. Start dosbox

6. navigate there in DOS

7. type shannara.exe

Reported for piracy. See? That's why I hate the PC crowd, they always steal their games, is it really that hard to simply buy the damn game on GoG? People like you are like plaque on a dog's teeth.

Seems to me that his acquisition of the software would be covered under 'Fair Use', as he was doing this purely for educational purposes. Is there any proof of criminal intent to play and enjoy this game without paying for it?

So I'd say go ahead, get the team of lawyers in to catch this pirate who clearly only acquired the game in order to prove someone else was lacking in technical competencies. All the evidence is right here in this thread.