Paying for Xbox Live doesn't make sense.

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mudig
Member since 2007 • 1567 Posts
I don't see a reason why we have to pay for Xbox Live. I mean, I pay and I don't have a problem in paying 50 a year but nothing seems to justify a payment. Can someone explain why are we made to pay? Don't give me that great community or online experience because that can easily be found on a pc game.
DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
Don't pay for it then.
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Not this again. you pay for it because servers cost money, Demos, etc. The reason why demos get released first on XBL than PSN.

Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
Because MS pays for a universal server. Dev's don't have to make their own individual servers. The PC infrastructure is not the same as consoles. PSN is free since dev's pay for your online (which is not a good idea in the long run). And for the PC, people can run their own servers. Now could STOP asking this question. This is my 37th time saying this exact SAME statement.
sniperpenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 sniperpenguins
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts
why do people aways think 50 bucks is alot of money?
cabjnico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cabjnico
Member since 2003 • 748 Posts

Not this again. you pay for it because servers cost money, Demos, etc. The reason why demos get released first on XBL than PSN.

PS3_3DO
you lack castlevania in your list
Avatar image for deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
Member since 2004 • 2626 Posts
[QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

cabjnico

haha
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts
[QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

cabjnico

Do couple gen old ports you can dl really count?

Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts
why do people aways think 50 bucks is alot of money?sniperpenguins
Because it is a lot of money. Money doesnt grow on trees.
Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mudig
Hmmm, so that's what I"m paying for? Lets cut out the server part, because you are able to host your own game. Your own hosted games aren't running on XBL servers...are they?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
Hmmm, so that's what I"m paying for? Lets cut out the server part, because you are able to host your own game. Your own hosted games aren't running on XBL servers...are they?Mudig
Dear god if you don't want to pay don't pay. One less ingrate on live.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

The cost is more or less to cover the expense of those who manage the servers and ensure everything is running fine all in order to benefit you with a universal hub for online gaming.  It's not exactly necessary, but why not if you can?

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PS3_3DO

[QUOTE="sniperpenguins"]why do people aways think 50 bucks is alot of money?kool-aids

One game. :|

pbkick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 pbkick1
Member since 2003 • 909 Posts
[QUOTE="cabjnico"][QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

-RPGamer-

Do couple gen old ports you can dl really count?

They do when there better than 70% of the current gen games being put out by the other companies.

sniperpenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sniperpenguins

[QUOTE="sniperpenguins"]why do people aways think 50 bucks is alot of money?kool-aids

think of the most crapy games you ever got, now take that money and then use it for XBL.

and in away money dose grow on trees becuse its made out of a paper cotten blend

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

Don't pay for it then.DaysAirlines

Exactly, go play you PC and if you dont like Live enough to pay for it. I love it personally. I'm hooked and can't go back 

creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts

I find it funny that the people that say $50 is a lot of money are the very same people that own $2500 HDTV's, $600 PS3's, and $400 360's.

The content and access to great demo's etc make the $50 well spent....play with the PSN and you will understand why live is the standard which online for consoles will be measured.

Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mudig
[QUOTE="Mudig"]Hmmm, so that's what I"m paying for? Lets cut out the server part, because you are able to host your own game. Your own hosted games aren't running on XBL servers...are they?duncanvk

Stop getting so damn defensive. I'm asking a question which I want answered and here you are with no answer attacking me. If you honestly are annoyed by these threads then there is no reason to enter them. I mean, I thought I made it quite obvious with the title so people who are annoyed won't come in.
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts
Because MS pays for a universal server. Dev's don't have to make their own individual servers. The PC infrastructure is not the same as consoles. PSN is free since dev's pay for your online (which is not a good idea in the long run). And for the PC, people can run their own servers. Now could STOP asking this question. This is my 37th time saying this exact SAME statement. Tulak_Hord
If sites like Gamespot and Gametrailers can be almost entirely supported by ads, I don't see why PSN unified servers couldn't be free w/ the advertising in Home.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
[QUOTE="duncanvk"][QUOTE="Mudig"]Hmmm, so that's what I"m paying for? Lets cut out the server part, because you are able to host your own game. Your own hosted games aren't running on XBL servers...are they?Mudig

Stop getting so damn defensive. I'm asking a question which I want answered and here you are with no answer attacking me. If you honestly are annoyed by these threads then there is no reason to enter them. I mean, I thought I made it quite obvious with the title so people who are annoyed won't come in.

You're paying for servers and demo's, everyone already explained this to you. If you are so skeptical then go back to PC. It's 50 bucks for a year, that is one day of work, your question has already been answered, stop trolling.
DoctorBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DoctorBunny
Member since 2005 • 2660 Posts
Also the ability to use a mic in every game. where the majority of gamers all also have mics too :)
neojackazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 neojackazz
Member since 2003 • 136 Posts
i don't know any xbox live games that use dedicated servers so i don't why the cost is there
Mudig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mudig
[QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="duncanvk"][QUOTE="Mudig"]Hmmm, so that's what I"m paying for? Lets cut out the server part, because you are able to host your own game. Your own hosted games aren't running on XBL servers...are they?duncanvk

You're paying for servers and demo's, everyone already explained this to you. If you are so skeptical then go back to PC. It's 50 bucks for a year, that is one day of work, your question has already been answered, stop trolling.

So we are paying for servers and demos? Well that's all fine, but then again we are still made to pay for locked content for games.
neojackazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 neojackazz
Member since 2003 • 136 Posts
what game uses dedicated servers?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
[QUOTE="duncanvk"][QUOTE="Mudig"][QUOTE="duncanvk"][QUOTE="Mudig"]Hmmm, so that's what I"m paying for? Lets cut out the server part, because you are able to host your own game. Your own hosted games aren't running on XBL servers...are they?Mudig

So we are paying for servers and demos? Well that's all fine, but then again we are still made to pay for locked content for games.

So...what you're saying...is in our capitalistic society that a big company is taking advantage of it's consumers? Amazing.
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts
We are paying for the servers, the content downloads, the upkeep costs, the services provided and the make sure all our games having online support in some form or another. Thats how i see it.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
you say you can find every thing xbox live offers on pc.....where? give me examples..
sniperpenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sniperpenguins
and the tv you can downloads
KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts
Its kool with me to pay for XBl great online service :)
DoctorBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DoctorBunny

you say you can find every thing xbox live offers on pc.....where? give me examples..WilliamRLBaker

They are talking about playing online for free, thats it, no other live feature.  

AntiType

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AntiType
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts
... Why is LIVE 50 bux on PC?
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PS3_3DO

... Why is LIVE 50 bux on PC?AntiType

To play with 360 gamers, cross-platform games, If you play PC and 360 games.

Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Darth_Stalin
[QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"]Because MS pays for a universal server. Dev's don't have to make their own individual servers. The PC infrastructure is not the same as consoles. PSN is free since dev's pay for your online (which is not a good idea in the long run). And for the PC, people can run their own servers. Now could STOP asking this question. This is my 37th time saying this exact SAME statement. fuzzysquash
If sites like Gamespot and Gametrailers can be almost entirely supported by ads, I don't see why PSN unified servers couldn't be free w/ the advertising in Home.

The PSN doesn't have unified servers. The dev's have to pay for their games to go online. And trust me, ads on PS HOme is not enough to cover maintenance. Do you think companies will be paying millions of bucks for their items to be advertised on Home. The money will just be some extra money for sony on the side.
Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

[QUOTE="AntiType"]... Why is LIVE 50 bux on PC?PS3_3DO

When you pay live for either pc or x360 it means you can play your games on both platforms. 

Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darth_Stalin
Hmmm, so that's what I"m paying for? Lets cut out the server part, because you are able to host your own game. Your own hosted games aren't running on XBL servers...are they?Mudig
No. You are using MS's servers. MS is the one paying for the maintenance of it.
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PS3_3DO
[QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

[QUOTE="AntiType"]... Why is LIVE 50 bux on PC?Zenkuso

When you pay live for either pc or x360 it means you can play your games on both platforms. 

Yeah your right. That's cool to play on either one. I think it will be a hit with 360 gamers with PCs too.

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PS3_3DO

[QUOTE="Mudig"]Hmmm, so that's what I"m paying for? Lets cut out the server part, because you are able to host your own game. Your own hosted games aren't running on XBL servers...are they?Tulak_Hord
No. You are using MS's servers. MS is the one paying for the maintenance of it.

Yeah don't forget about Voice and video chat servers. Also you need servers to match players.

_Ishida_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 _Ishida_
Member since 2007 • 185 Posts
why do people aways think 50 bucks is alot of money?sniperpenguins
10 more dollers and i can get a whole game.
DoctorBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DoctorBunny

[QUOTE="sniperpenguins"]why do people aways think 50 bucks is alot of money?_Ishida_

Exactly. The only people who complain are 16 year olds. Most people can afford more than one game a year :) 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
Yeah, Lemms are getting ripped off while the cows are getting it free. And soon, so will the sheep. A lemming will reply to my post saying "but theres isint as good" and then i will shoot them for ther stupidity._Ishida_
Are you the intelligent one? Violence because someone disagrees with you on an internet forum, you are obviously superior enough to dictate who is and isn't stupid.
sniperpenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sniperpenguins

[QUOTE="sniperpenguins"]why do people aways think 50 bucks is alot of money?_Ishida_

look back a page or two.

_Ishida_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 _Ishida_
Online is overrated anyways, its for casuals who don't play the main game.
_Ishida_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 _Ishida_
[QUOTE="_Ishida_"]Yeah, Lemms are getting ripped off while the cows are getting it free. And soon, so will the sheep. A lemming will reply to my post saying "but theres isint as good" and then i will shoot them for ther stupidity.duncanvk
Are you the intelligent one? Violence because someone disagrees with you on an internet forum, you are obviously superior enough to dictate who is and isn't stupid.

yeah, because i can actually shoot someone over the internet. You took that a little bit to seriously buddy.
xboxps2cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xboxps2cube
Member since 2005 • 1362 Posts
nope the only thing kept on live servers is the content pushed to you and ranked stats, nothing else. if it was dedicated servers for games then we wouldnt see so much halo cheating online. thats a fact
Avatar image for Radeon_X1950XTX
Radeon_X1950XTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Radeon_X1950XTX
Member since 2006 • 1055 Posts
I don't see a reason why we have to pay for Xbox Live. I mean, I pay and I don't have a problem in paying 50 a year but nothing seems to justify a payment. Can someone explain why are we made to pay? Don't give me that great community or online experience because that can easily be found on a pc game.Mudig
games that are multiplatform are usually online for 360 Tennis game tony hawk always online
asmallchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 asmallchild
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
I don't see a reason why we have to pay for Xbox Live. I mean, I pay and I don't have a problem in paying 50 a year but nothing seems to justify a payment. Can someone explain why are we made to pay? Don't give me that great community or online experience because that can easily be found on a pc game.Mudig
Hey I agree with you. I like free better. (Hello PSN) Why are we made to pay though? It's a business. MS saw an outlet to make money and bam! They took that opportunity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
[QUOTE="duncanvk"][QUOTE="_Ishida_"]Yeah, Lemms are getting ripped off while the cows are getting it free. And soon, so will the sheep. A lemming will reply to my post saying "but theres isint as good" and then i will shoot them for ther stupidity._Ishida_

yeah, because i can actually shoot someone over the internet. You took that a little bit to seriously buddy.

Oh you were trying to make a joke.
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#50 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
xbox live is much more technical than you think. leaderboards for everything, all those friends lists intertwined, demos, downloads, servers, it's a TON of information to handle.