Overwatch Competitive Mode Details, plus over 10 Million Players reached.

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

The competitive play should be epic, could potentially become one of the best e-sports for PC. Not sure about the lol thumbsticks version.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/17/11966648/overwatch-competitive-play-update-blizzard-entertainment

Also, now over 10M sales. LOL Uncharted.

http://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-breaks-10-million-players/

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

As long as they look to fix Quick Play. In its current state it is not that "Drop In and Drop Out" type of play mode they're trying to bill it as. It's more like.... "Do you enjoy joining games with 60 seconds or less left in a complete pub smash (on the losing team of course)? No? Well have fun getting marked with our XP penalty because our system is shit and never finds you a game that is in the planning phases. Because F U, we have your money already LOLOLOLOL". That's my experience with playing solo at the moment as I never run into this playing with at least 1+ other person in a party.

Interesting to see Competitive once it's fully implemented.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@HowlingLotus: It's not that common...

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

@SexyJazzCat said:

@HowlingLotus: It's not that common...

I've heard other people say it doesn't happen too often, but the only way I generally avoid this is if a game doesn't re-instance. I try to stay in the same "server" for as long as possible. Doesn't matter if I'm on a 5 game winning or losing streak, as the second a game re-instances I normally get stuck in one with a minute left. Probably just my bad luck.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

That's cool and great to hear. Kind of curious about what the numbers look like between all 3 platforms.

Have still been greatly enjoying the game and still don't find the whole "lack of content" thing to be an issue. I will say that I wish they would bring back the random hero mode they had as the last weekly brawl. It was actually pretty fun and even grew some appreciation for characters such as Zarya and Zenyatta. It was certainly much better than the Soldier 76 only mode or Super Shimada Bros mode.

Also obligatory f*** Torbjorn comment

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Blizzard and e-sports don't mix, before you get yer panties in a bundle yeah SC2 was e-sport king for awhile, then LoL and even Dota 2 pretty much pimped slapped SC2 and SC2 is pretty much a shadow of it's former e sport self.

Now let's go down the list of Blizzard games and how they are in terms of pvp and e sports

WoW- got dropped from the e sport scene pretty damn quickly, in fact by the very 2nd season of arena in BC it got dropped cause how unbalanced WoW was (and still is), outside of seasons and tournaments held by Blizzard the e sport scene in WoW is pretty much dead outside of a few youtubers keeping the pvp from dying (Bajheera is a god). I will say this though, pvp in Legion looks fun but will it ever make WoW's pvp top tier? most likely no.

Diablo 3- holy **** did this die hard, like literally harder than WoWs. While D3 had no e sport scene in it's sights the regular pvp system was just fubard...

Hearthstone- probably Blizzards biggest game in competitive gaming atm, even not being a fan of lock decks (which destroyed my love for that game) HS occasionally beats SC2 in terms of views in tournaments and players in competitive scenes.

SC- the once holy god father of e sports, competitive gaming, tournaments ect ect has fallen from grace (not only has SC2 been losing top players but people who watch the tournaments as well). Even as a Protoss fan the amount of ridiculousness Protoss has gotten the last few tournaments has gotten out of hand, but again sometimes I don't feel bad how much Terran players have dominated in tournaments.

Hots- ....I don't even know if Hots can actually reach the heights of HS or SC2 in terms of e sports and competitive gaming, Hots is literally in limbo when it comes down to competitiveness.

Now we're at Overwatch, Blizzards ex Titan of an "MMO" now fps mp, the gates are open for e sport and competitive gaming and it already looks grim, the first nerf hammer went out a few days ago with a Mccree and Widow nerf, Mccree being one of the lowest win rate heroes in the game gets a nerf (he's at a 48% win rate)....I don't even play Mccree (he's not even my top 5 most played heroes) and I feel sorry for the players who do like to play him. Meanwhile Lucio with a 57% winrate gets untouched, Roadhog (one of my mains) has a higher K/d ratio ( 2.15 ) than Mccree at 1.92 ....... yes a tank hero has a higher kill rate than a offensive hero......

While I give Jeff and the Overwatch team mad props for acknowledging some maps do favor attackers or defenders and they have plans on fixing those maps, Overwatch has a very very very long way to go to be even considered an actual e sport game like fixing A LOT of heroes, fix the shite hitbox, the shite server latency cause honestly if you're gonna do seasons and or tournaments and you have a tracer getting hooked by a roadhog through a wall it's gonna piss off a lot of people (minus the roadhog player).

Don't get me wrong I want OW to succeed in the e sport scene and tournaments, if you want a game like OW to succeed you need to acknowledge it's faults and hammer them out asap, or else you're just gonna have another D3, WoW and HotS.

Now hopefully you're panties are not in a bunch, now for some Overwatch love

Loading Video...

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Don't see it going to places with ridiculous hitboxes and 20tick servers, then again it's not always the most skill demanding games that do well as esports, as long as you shovel enough money to it, just look at LoL, a dummed down dota.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Good to know but I've already moved back to Halo 5. I love Overwatch and will surely play it some more in the future, but I just dont have the time to be playing several shooters at the same time now and I'm taking a break from it. I'll surely check out this new comp. mode when it comes out though should be fun.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Avoiding this mode 100%.
Also having nearly no issues with the hitboxes or heroes.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#10  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

While I give Jeff and the Overwatch team mad props for acknowledging some maps do favor attackers or defenders and they have plans on fixing those maps, Overwatch has a very very very long way to go to be even considered an actual e sport game...

^This right here is why I stopped playing after ~15 hours and haven't touched it since.

The map design suuuuuucks. They are too tight and far too small with not enough side passages to spread out the combat so everything just turns into one giant rolling team battle. That is really f***ing boring to me. Everything that TF2 gets right about map design - multiple levels, multiple passages around points, lots of ways to outsmart turrets if you are good, a combination of long sight lines and narrow passageways - Overwatch gets it wrong. Hell there are so many invisible walls that block vertical movement they might as well just put signs on every rooftop saying "Keep Off".

The bad map design also amplifies the annoyingly bad designed heroes like Toblerone and Bastion. The infinite range, 360* rotation, and perfect snap accuracy on Toblerone's turrets basically turns it into an autosniper with perfect aim, and you can't cheese it by exploiting lock-on time, limited range (it has none) or getting behind it. Bastion has little to no ranged damage fall-off, high accuracy and high DPS. He can basically sit and snipe reliably from half-way across the map with a healer or Rein to keep him protected.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@SerOlmy said:
@Ballroompirate said:

While I give Jeff and the Overwatch team mad props for acknowledging some maps do favor attackers or defenders and they have plans on fixing those maps, Overwatch has a very very very long way to go to be even considered an actual e sport game...

^This right here is why I stopped playing after ~15 hours and haven't touched it since.

The map design suuuuuucks. They are too tight and far too small with not enough side passages to spread out the combat so everything just turns into one giant rolling team battle. That is really f***ing boring to me. Everything that TF2 gets right about map design - multiple levels, multiple passages around points, lots of ways to outsmart turrets if you are good, a combination of long sight lines and narrow passageways - Overwatch gets it wrong. Hell there are so many invisible walls that block vertical movement they might as well just put signs on every rooftop saying "Keep Off".

The bad map design also amplifies the annoyingly bad designed heroes like Toblerone and Bastion. The infinite range, 360* rotation, and perfect snap accuracy on Toblerone's turrets basically turns it into an autosniper with perfect aim, and you can't cheese it by exploiting lock-on time, limited range (it has none) or getting behind it. Bastion has little to no ranged damage fall-off, high accuracy and high DPS. He can basically sit and snipe reliably from half-way across the map with a healer or Rein to keep him protected.

I'll give you the map design is a bit plain but.

Bastion has considerable spread at range which makes it easy for any ranged attack (widow , pharah) pretty simple. Also the turrets do have a max range. Easiest example I Can think of is if someone has one set up on the shelf behind B on Hanamura, You can stand on the stairs outside the front door and fire away at it. Guess thats a map/turret problem, almost no maps have range that long, or the turret range should be changed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@SerOlmy said:
@Ballroompirate said:

bwahaha... please. post your profile... go on. I'm betting you havn't even bothered with it. Given the level of upfront "TF2 > Overwatch ever since the first trailer" spiel.

As a TF2 fan.. im sorry... but the map design is quite the same. you look at any TF2 Payload map, and there are usually only 2 ways to go (maybe a 3rd in some cases) EXACTLY like overwatch..... copy paste that with every other game mode as well. you are outright LYING to say the maps are more complex in TF2.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@zaryia:

Ehhh, do people really care that much about e sports? ? I think even Nascar deserves to be called a sport way more than gaming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@killered3 said:

@zaryia:

Ehhh, do people really care that much about e sports? ? I think even Nascar deserves to be called a sport way more than gaming.

yes why not?

I dont see why Football is so important either? kick a ball up a pitch, why do I care if guys are fit? everyone has different preferences.

At least most Gamers play the "sport" that they watch...

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@MBirdy88:

And also play the sport more than they watch. I. Just. Don't. See why in the world gaming should be a sport. All those coaches and tournaments.....could've gone to something more worth while.

And I am a big gamer. A big, BIG gamer! Been gaming since SNES and even I don't think it should be a sport.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@killered3 said:

@MBirdy88:

And also play the sport more than they watch. I. Just. Don't. See why in the world gaming should be a sport. All those coaches and tournaments.....could've gone to something more worth while.

And I am a big gamer. A big, BIG gamer! Been gaming since SNES and even I don't think it should be a sport.

That's fair enough, I dont watch a lot of either type of sport. something about getting wet over my country winning games (when in reality the country part means nothing, especially considering alot of teams are sourced from various places) when technically I could be doing something other than watching OTHERS play games .. like actually playing games. So its all preference.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zaryia

It will certainly be better and bigger than trash like CoD or Halo5 as far as competitive scenes go. The public is already way bigger.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

>Competitive Overwatch

lmao, I cannot wait for all the glorious cringe as Blizzard tries to shoehorn competitive matchmaking into a game that is casual from the ground up.

It's going to be LoL all over again.

Loading Video...

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

I can't see it becoming popular as an e-sport. Too many hitbox issues, too many super simple maps, not much depth to the gameplay.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@Vaasman said:

I can't see it becoming popular as an e-sport. Too many hitbox issues, too many super simple maps, not much depth to the gameplay.

The skill gap alone will keep competitive play active and growing.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

Overwatch dethrones League of Legends

Given that Korea is the nerdvana of E-Sports, I think Overwatch has a pretty bright future doing whatever it wants to do.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I see people still don't know how to play overwatch if they are crying about turrets

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zaryia

@skelly34 said:

>Competitive Overwatch

lmao, I cannot wait for all the glorious cringe as Blizzard tries to shoehorn competitive matchmaking into a game that is casual from the ground up.

OW has a huge skill gap and ceiling though. It's already beating LoL in SK. I see CS and OW being the top 2 cometitive FPS games.

Not sure about the fumblestick versions though.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KittenNose

@NFJSupreme said:

I see people still don't know how to play overwatch if they are crying about turrets

My guess is console players. With stick shooting having a couple of long range mid level damage auto aimers on the battlefield is a big advantage. The Dorf has something like a 70% win rate on console. I almost never see him on PC. Usually a team has at least one sniper, often two. Nothing stationary lasts very long.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Skelly34

@zaryia said:
@skelly34 said:

>Competitive Overwatch

OW has a huge skill gap and ceiling though. It's already beating LoL in SK. I see CS and OW being the top 2 cometitive FPS games.

First off, popularity does not equal quality.

And no, it's a team game and that's where the only semblance of "skill" emerges: coordination, teamwork and inherent knowledge of the game and its classes to properly understand your role. It's much like Dota 2 in that regard.

"Performing well" during a match is a relatively easy thing to do so long as you have played the game for a decent amount of time and familiarized yourself with each hero. The skill gap you're referring to is between people who have literally just picked up the PC FPS genre (people who wouldn't participate in matchmaking) and people who actually understand the game and its mechanics. Between people who have actually played the game for any extended amount of time and "the pros" their abilities do not place them much higher than one another.

That aside, if there is a serious competitive scene, each competitive match will be absolutely flooded with Roadhogs and Mercys due to them having the largest potential game impact. If blizzard truly wanted to make Overwatch a decent competitive game they would have to make a considerable amount of balancement patches, and even then the game would still likely be a clusterfuck.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@kittennose said:
@NFJSupreme said:

My guess is console players. With stick shooting having a couple of long range mid level damage auto aimers on the battlefield is a big advantage. The Dorf has something like a 70% win rate on console. I almost never see him on PC. Usually a team has at least one sniper, often two. Nothing stationary lasts very long.

Nailed it

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ballroompirate

To all the people who think turrets/torb aren't retarded op

http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/pc/global Torb has a 59.7% win rate, 3.22 k/d ratio and 869 dmg per minute (Mccree a offensive hero does 692 dmg per minute and has a 1.9 k/d ratio with a 48% win rate)

and

Turrets can be countered by a widow, but only if the turret is badly placed by a bad Torb, any Torb with his salt will place a turret where a Widow cant snipe it. That leaves Pharah who can also counter a torb but torbs turret can melt a pharah if they aren't careful.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KittenNose

@Ballroompirate:

Dorf turrets are super easy to counter, good placement or not. Snipers can out range them, Roadhog can toe to toe them, Reinhardt can shield just about anyone (even Mercy) long enough to take it down, Junkrat can kill them without LoS and rip tire them and the dorf along with it, and any good push aided by a Lucio will role right over them. They are a static defense with a long set up time in a game all about using a broad base of abilities to overcome entrenched mobile defenses. Once you take it out, Torb is useless unless he can get out of battle for like a full eight seconds.

For the most part they are only really overpowered against teams zerg and trickle. I am a lot more scared of skilled Symmetra then pro Dorfs. Skilled Bastions to. Reingardt+Mercy+Bastion>any comp containing a dorf.

At least with a mouse and keyboard. Donno about shooting with a stick.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ballroompirate

@kittennose said:

@Ballroompirate:

Dorf turrets are super easy to counter, good placement or not. Snipers can out range them, Roadhog can toe to toe them, Reinhardt can shield just about anyone (even Mercy) long enough to take it down, Junkrat can kill them without LoS and rip tire them and the dorf along with it, and any good push aided by a Lucio will role right over them. They are a static defense with a long set up time in a game all about using a broad base of abilities to overcome entrenched mobile defenses. Once you take it out, Torb is useless unless he can get out of battle for like a full eight seconds.

For the most part they are only really overpowered against teams zerg and trickle. I am a lot more scared of skilled Symmetra then pro Dorfs. Skilled Bastions to. Reingardt+Mercy+Bastion>any comp containing a dorf.

The amount of derp in your post is just wow and it shows how little you know about the balance in Overwatch. Lets look at the top 5 Heroes with win rates and the top 5 worst.

(Fyi this is PC stats, not consoles)

Best:

1. Symmetra- 61%

2. Torb- 59%

3. Lucio- 57%

4. D.Va- 53.9%

5. Bastion- 53%

You might ask yourself oh a lot of people play those heroes so that doesn't count, the popularity rating of those heroes are (this stat is combined between all 3 versions)

Symmetra (21st, shes literally the least played hero), Torb (15th), Lucio (1st), D.Va (14th), Bastion (17th). As you can see outside of Lucio you have some of the least played heroes in the game. Now let's take a look at the bottom 5 heroes in Overwatch

1. Mercy- 47.9%

2. Pharah- 48.4%

3. Hanzo- 48.5%

4. McCree- 48.8%

5. Tracer- 49.1%

source: http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/pc/global

For shites and giggles you wanna know what the win rate for Torb on Consoles, it's sitting at 69%. A even more fun....actually I would say sad fact is guess what the top 5 most played Heroes are in "pro" teams, wanna take a guess? 1. McCree, 2. Widow, 3. Mercy, 4. Soldier 76 and 5. is pretty much tied with Hanzo and Tracer Yea.......I wouldn't put much faith in the Overwatch esport for awhile if ever. Guess how many "pro" teams have a Lucio player (12 teams with 6 people per team), 5 people play a Lucio. If you think a good Mercy player is scary, a good Lucio player is god mode.

Even as an ex Rein player he is pretty weak on none hard push teams and Roadhog will just destroy Rein in terms of raw power and the plus side is Roadhog can destroy a lot of heroes with his pull+shotgun move, it's even more cheese than McCrees stun+fan+roll+fan cheese, the funny thing is Roadhog actually does more dmg than McCree. Even picking up Junkrat recently as a hero to play I just destroy as a Junkrat (whom actually does 915 dmg per minute, almost 300 more dmg than a McCree and a Widow, while only 50 more dmg than a Torb).

As much as I wanna see Overwatch do good in esports, it's just not gonna happen (in a serious way), we will know next sunday with the first tournament finals.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:
Best:

1. Symmetra- 61%

2. Torb- 59%

3. Lucio- 57%

4. D.Va- 53.9%

5. Bastion- 53%

You might ask yourself oh a lot of people play those heroes so that doesn't count, the popularity rating of those heroes are (this stat is combined between all 3 versions)

Symmetra (21st, shes literally the least played hero), Torb (15th), Lucio (1st), D.Va (14th), Bastion (17th).

I'm not sure what your point is. The fact that these are the least played heroes means that the sample size isn't big enough and numbers might be inaccurate.

You wanna know the other reason for these winrates for Symm and Torb?

People switch out of these heroes after losing the first point.

So they start the game as Symmetra and either win at the first point or end up losing as "the bottom five" you listed. People especially desperately switch to Tracer at the dying moments of any match to try and make it to the point faster, contributing to her lossrate. While she's actually easily top 3 most powerful heroes in the game, atm.

I'm pretty sure even the devs explained this at some point. These numbers aren't telling the whole story.

If this is your best argument for Torb being OP, you failed hard. You're not gonna argue that D.Va is OP or something because her winrate appears to be high? It would be hilarious if you did.

Also, you have very little understanding of the game if you think Roadhog is a better damage dealer than McCree and a better tank than Rein.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KittenNose

@Ballroompirate: You really didn't address anything I said. Pointing out that characters that are hardly played doesn't really help your position either. Overpowered characters that require little skill tend to be super popular. Pointing out they are rarely played seems to indicate they are very situational, and only good while defending on a few maps.

At the end of the day, he is still super easy to counter. Step one: Don't Zerg. Step Two: Don't trickle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@skelly34 said:
@zaryia said:
@skelly34 said:

>Competitive Overwatch

And no, it's a team game and that's where the only semblance of "skill" emerges: coordination, teamwork and inherent knowledge of the game and its classes to properly understand your role. It's much like Dota 2 in that regard.

"Performing well" during a match is a relatively easy thing to do so long as you have played the game for a decent amount of time and familiarized yourself with each hero. The skill gap you're referring to is between people who have literally just picked up the PC FPS genre (people who wouldn't participate in matchmaking) and people who actually understand the game and its mechanics. Between people who have actually played the game for any extended amount of time and "the pros" their abilities do not place them much higher than one another.

That aside, if there is a serious competitive scene, each competitive match will be absolutely flooded with Roadhogs and Mercys due to them having the largest potential game impact. If blizzard truly wanted to make Overwatch a decent competitive game they would have to make a considerable amount of balancement patches, and even then the game would still likely be a clusterfuck.

lmao Roadhog? really? hes not even in any of the previous version's metas , as hes an easy kill that boosts Ultimate Charge when hit at a ridiculous rate.

Hes like Pudge in DoTA .. a pub stomper if people are crap... but pretty low on the food chain against any half competant group.

spartanx169x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 spartanx169x
Member since 2013 • 2905 Posts

why do people like this game? I'm not hating. I'm genuinely curious as to why people like this game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Ballroompirate said:

To all the people who think turrets/torb aren't retarded op

http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/pc/global Torb has a 59.7% win rate, 3.22 k/d ratio and 869 dmg per minute (Mccree a offensive hero does 692 dmg per minute and has a 1.9 k/d ratio with a 48% win rate)

and

Turrets can be countered by a widow, but only if the turret is badly placed by a bad Torb, any Torb with his salt will place a turret where a Widow cant snipe it. That leaves Pharah who can also counter a torb but torbs turret can melt a pharah if they aren't careful.

again, pub stomping morons.... in the meta, he is low... unused...

D.VA is an excellent counter.... as is a distracting Reinheart., as is a hanzo... oh wait, any half decent team of players make a turrret useless... unless during molten core, which you just hide.

the majority of those inflated stats are from morons charging in without knowing it is there... 1 after another.... and ofc a character that potentially camps all game has a higher k/d.

I gaurentee in ranked play that number will be alot lower (at least at the higher end of the spectrum).

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@MBirdy88 said:
@skelly34 said:

lmao Roadhog? really? hes not even in any of the previous version's metas , as hes an easy kill that boosts Ultimate Charge when hit at a ridiculous rate.

Hes like Pudge in DoTA .. a pub stomper if people are crap... but pretty low on the food chain against any half competant group.

Yeah and depending on maps Mei's ult is a full on game changer, and Lucio's benefits to not being reliant on his teammates the way Mercy is means a lot of character types will get play. The thing is no one is stuck with one character in Overwatch, ideally you adjust the longer the match goes.

I'm not saying the servers and hitboxes don't need to tighten up, but Overwatch's application over execution design amounts to a pretty well done multiplayer game. Also helps that it's not some dime a dozen shit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Hahahahaha....

Again all pub numbers. Not in line with the reality of the competitive scene (which most games are balanced around).

Reinheart has a place on 90% of comp teams, roadhog never does.

D.VA win rate is ridiculous considering she is underpowered. (currently the most useless tank PERIOD) and I like playing her alot, but shes broken, even blizzard acknowledge she needs a buff.

Lucio is nearly as picked as mercy, he is indeed pretty damn good, I would say needs a slight tone down in the survivability department.

Symmetra ... having a well placed portal can change a game so much, but the enemy team is warned and its easily countered with a half decent team, again sadly another limitation of PuBs.

ITs funny, because all your statistics are the opposite of the competitive scene.... have no bearing on the competitive scene either.

@Ballroompirate said:
@kittennose said:

@Ballroompirate:

The amount of derp in your post is just wow and it shows how little you know about the balance in Overwatch. Lets look at the top 5 Heroes with win rates and the top 5 worst.

(Fyi this is PC stats, not consoles)

Best:

1. Symmetra- 61%

2. Torb- 59%

3. Lucio- 57%

4. D.Va- 53.9%

5. Bastion- 53%

Symmetra (21st, shes literally the least played hero), Torb (15th), Lucio (1st), D.Va (14th), Bastion (17th). As you can see outside of Lucio you have some of the least played heroes in the game. Now let's take a look at the bottom 5 heroes in Overwatch

1. Mercy- 47.9%

2. Pharah- 48.4%

3. Hanzo- 48.5%

4. McCree- 48.8%

5. Tracer- 49.1%

source: http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/pc/global

For shites and giggles you wanna know what the win rate for Torb on Consoles, it's sitting at 69%. A even more fun....actually I would say sad fact is guess what the top 5 most played Heroes are in "pro" teams, wanna take a guess? 1. McCree, 2. Widow, 3. Mercy, 4. Soldier 76 and 5. is pretty much tied with Hanzo and Tracer Yea.......I wouldn't put much faith in the Overwatch esport for awhile if ever. Guess how many "pro" teams have a Lucio player (12 teams with 6 people per team), 5 people play a Lucio. If you think a good Mercy player is scary, a good Lucio player is god mode.

Even as an ex Rein player he is pretty weak on none hard push teams and Roadhog will just destroy Rein in terms of raw power and the plus side is Roadhog can destroy a lot of heroes with his pull+shotgun move, it's even more cheese than McCrees stun+fan+roll+fan cheese, the funny thing is Roadhog actually does more dmg than McCree. Even picking up Junkrat recently as a hero to play I just destroy as a Junkrat (whom actually does 915 dmg per minute, almost 300 more dmg than a McCree and a Widow, while only 50 more dmg than a Torb).

As much as I wanna see Overwatch do good in esports, it's just not gonna happen (in a serious way), we will know next sunday with the first tournament finals.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Skelly34

@MBirdy88 said:
@skelly34 said:

I don't know what experience you have had with Roadhog, but this isn't MOBA, it's an FPS.

And being able to forcibly (and easily) pull people out of position in a team oriented game is literally the most impactful thing you could do outside of reviving your entire team as Mercy.

He might not be in whatever "meta" has managed to form around the game's current balancement, but like Pudge, you will be seeing a lot more in the future.

For whatever it's worth. I'm sure I forgot to mention how viable Lucio, Mei or Reinhardt (especially Reinhardt and Lucio,) can be depending on the map or objective, but there are still classes that are for the most part utterly worthless and need much improvement to be made viable for competitive matchmaking. You're not going to achieve the depth needed for a competitive game with only 6-7 out of 21 heroes actually being viable.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jg4xchamp
@skelly34 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

I don't know what experience you have had with Roadhog, but this isn't MOBA, it's an FPS.

And being able to forcibly (and easily) pull people out of position in a team oriented game is literally the most impactful thing you could do outside of reviving your entire team as Mercy.

Which is actually fairly easy to avoid, given that it's not some thing that doesn't have a distance issue. Plus a coordinated team can mow him down asap. Roadhog is a useful tank, no disagreement there, but he's no more reliable/useful than any of the major flankers or a Reinhardt. Get him a proper flanker or even a Bastion for defensive play, and yeah throw in a healer.

The only reason certain tactics work as well as they do, is because randoms don't coordinate. So it's easy to get in a nice spot as POTG Bastion and just mow people down, or take advantage of an overzealous healer and chain+shotgun them with roadhog. But against two teams with some proper coordination? No, the only thing over done was McCree being able to take out tanks (which is getting fixed) and I'd argue maybe the turrets could at least lose something in terms of range.

Beyond that, half these complaints are the equivalent of someone playing Street Fighter is unbalanced because everyone plays Ken and DP is too strong. It's not the game at that moment.

3SidedSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 3SidedSquare
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts
@zaryia said:

Also, now over 10M sales. LOL Uncharted.

LOL @ comparing sales of an exclusive to a multiplat.

Also, I expect more of the same type of people in the competitive play mode as quick play because everyone thinks they're MLG. The added features will be nice though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@jg4xchamp said:
@skelly34 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Which is actually fairly easy to avoid, given that it's not some thing that doesn't have a distance issue. Plus a coordinated team can mow him down asap. Roadhog is a useful tank, no disagreement there, but he's no more reliable/useful than any of the major flankers or a Reinhardt. Get him a proper flanker or even a Bastion for defensive play, and yeah throw in a healer.

The only reason certain tactics work as well as they do, is because randoms don't coordinate. So it's easy to get in a nice spot as POTG Bastion and just mow people down, or take advantage of an overzealous healer and chain+shotgun them with roadhog. But against two teams with some proper coordination? No, the only thing over done was McCree being able to take out tanks (which is getting fixed) and I'd argue maybe the turrets could at least lose something in terms of range.

Beyond that, half these complaints are the equivalent of someone playing Street Fighter is unbalanced because everyone plays Ken and DP is too strong. It's not the game at that moment.

Indeed, both Rein and Zarya make Roadhog hooks far less effective, they are BOTH far more viable competitive tanks. Zarya's ultimate is a game changer... Road hogs is a nusance. he is a selfish solo pick in most teams... oh sure, he can heal through damage .... but that damage converts to ULT CHARGE at a ridiculous rate for all characters... resulting in far worse consequences.... Zarya and Rei on the other hand.. can take a beating without feeding a single bit of charge to the enemy team.

Again, both far more picked in the competitive scene than roadhog.

I dont care about console balance to be honest the console version with controllers always seemed like a lost cause.

Roadhog's noise effects are ridiculously loud too... with any decent headset/soundcard/mobo ... you can hear him miles off....

"This isn't a moba" is irrelevant. many of the skills are transferable.

Not to mention the Hook-bugs that make hooking someone RNG to begin with, I played a game on sunday, where I hooked a tracer 4 times... and each time, she was never lined up with my shotgun. Oh, and im not bias, my most played Char is currently roadhog..... (because funnily enough, hes a pub stomper.) but when ranked comes... wont touch him with a barge pole.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Skelly34

@jg4xchamp: @MBirdy88:

No, Roadhog is actually a terrible tank and doesn't even belong in the tank section, he's too selfish and basically a beefy damage. I would take Reinhardt as a tank over him any day. My point has nothing to do with Roadhog's ability as a tank or flanker and entirely to do with his hook and close-range damage. He should be played in the same manner as Soldier76 and Reaper are, he should only be used for hooking, sitting in his team or occasionally flanking and should be supplemented with an actually decent tank. When played by a semi-intelligent person his hook is not easily subverted by merely being coordinated. If it weren't for Reinhardt or Zarya shields there would really be nothing stopping him and you're not going to have your entire team sit behind Reinhardt all game (even on escorts) just so your damage/supps don't get their shit pushed in by a hook.

However, that's merely my personal opinion. I brought him up as an example of how some classes are simply better than others and I'm not going to argue him any further.

My only real argument is this: Balancement is the game at any moment. You cannot blame players for trying to find the easiest and cheapest way to win, so you must actively balance each character so some heroes don't naturally rise to the top. You do this by ensuring that the majority of the roster is at least viable or fulfills a certain purpose well enough to be picked, which most of the heroes undoubtedly do not as made clear by the tier gap. And you can't have competitive matchmaking without this.

Nerfing Mcree was the only correct decision Blizzard has made so far.

>Moba and FPS skills are transferable

kek

There is only one, and that's coordination, and yes coordination is a skill.

I never really got a chance to finish my first post but here it is.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ballroompirate

@MBirdy88:You might want to check the "meta" again scrub, most "pro" teams actually ether have a Roadhog or a Rein as a tank while rest of the "pro" teams don't even have a tank player. Roadhog is a strong counter to every squishie in the game since he literally can 1 shot a lot of squishies with his hook+shot gun. Rein is for more defensive players but if you have a Pharah player she can hard counter a Rein and mak him worthless, even a bastion can make a Rein worthless cause Bastions machine gun can melt his shield away in moments and a good Bastion will always be in cover so don't be one of those idiots who's gonna say "hur hur widow will just counter a bastion", guess what, can't snipe a bastion or torb if you don't have LoS on him derpy.

The sad thing is there's really no meta yet and if you go by what the "pros" are doing now I just feel bad for you cause they are still using McCree and Widowmaker in their lineup and if they continue to use them during the first tournament June 26th I expect the first tournament for Overwatch to flop hard cause the "pros" are using a McCree over way better flankers like a tracer or reaper.

@R10nu said:
@Ballroompirate said:
Best:

1. Symmetra- 61%

2. Torb- 59%

3. Lucio- 57%

4. D.Va- 53.9%

5. Bastion- 53%

Symmetra (21st, shes literally the least played hero), Torb (15th), Lucio (1st), D.Va (14th), Bastion (17th).

I'm not sure what your point is. The fact that these are the least played heroes means that the sample size isn't big enough and numbers might be inaccurate.

So they start the game as Symmetra and either win at the first point or end up losing as "the bottom five" you listed. People especially desperately switch to Tracer at the dying moments of any match to try and make it to the point faster, contributing to her lossrate. While she's actually easily top 3 most powerful heroes in the game, atm.

I'm pretty sure even the devs explained this at some point. These numbers aren't telling the whole story.

If this is your best argument for Torb being OP, you failed hard. You're not gonna argue that D.Va is OP or something because her winrate appears to be high? It would be hilarious if you did.

Also, you have very little understanding of the game if you think Roadhog is a better damage dealer than McCree and a better tank than Rein.

Sym and Torb are easily one of the best defensive characters in the game cause they bring a lot to keep heroes at bay or buff their team with a shield and armor combo, you're looking at a good amount of health the other team has to knock off before they kill you if your team has both heroes (torb and sym). People including the so called pros are ignoring what torb and Sym bring to defensive fights cause you're losing out on a teleport, a shield and armor

You have no idea how McCree works, he's suppose to be a flanker and now his dmg with fan is gimped and his dmg is lower than almost literally EVERYONE IN THE GAME outside of maybe some of the healer/support characters. You do realize Roadhog 1 shots squishies with his hook + shotgun right?. McCree relies on short range encounters cause of his stun his guess what,it's short ranged and is worthless beyond a short ranged fight. His fan is just as bad cause it also requires a short ranged fight cause of the recoil on fan makes it worthless outside of a short ranged fight

If you still don't believe me look at the stats

Roadhog does 760 dmg per minute.

http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/1-roadhog

McCree does 690 dmg per minute.

http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/6-mccree

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Skelly34

@Ballroompirate:

No, almost every fucking "pro" team has double Winston if anything. It's almost the only thing they have in common besides Reinhardt and Lucio/Mercy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Whatever ball, competitions speak for themselves... McRee was OP, thats why there were 2 of him in most teams. and the Fan the Hammer nerf was 100% required... and now hes in a place where GOD FORBID he has to use his left click more to get kills.

3 shots kills a pharah, literraly point and click, Mc Kree is by no means weak.

You are flat out LYING when you say pro teams dont have a tank, the big metas were pretty mcuh Rein + Lucio + Mercy + 2x Mckree and then something else depending on the situation. Often a Zarya in there somewhere for black hole (because its amazing).

Pharah a good counter to Rein? in what f*cking world can a half decent team not shoot down a Pharah (a lower tier pick...) while she attacks rein, its absolutely a waste of time and energy.

again all your crap is from PuB play.

DPS numbers.... haha so situational, what a joke.

pre-Nerf a McKree could kill a roadhog effortlessly... more often than not the grenade could trigger even after being hooked before the shotgun could be fired... and then 1 fan of the hammer on his massive frame roll + fan again. Mc Kree is in a much better place now.

@Ballroompirate said:

@MBirdy88:You might want to check the "meta" again scrub, most "pro" teams actually ether have a Roadhog or a Rein as a tank while rest of the "pro" teams don't even have a tank player. Roadhog is a strong counter to every squishie in the game since he literally can 1 shot a lot of squishies with his hook+shot gun. Rein is for more defensive players but if you have a Pharah player she can hard counter a Rein and mak him worthless, even a bastion can make a Rein worthless cause Bastions machine gun can melt his shield away in moments and a good Bastion will always be in cover so don't be one of those idiots who's gonna say "hur hur widow will just counter a bastion", guess what, can't snipe a bastion or torb if you don't have LoS on him derpy.

The sad thing is there's really no meta yet and if you go by what the "pros" are doing now I just feel bad for you cause they are still using McCree and Widowmaker in their lineup and if they continue to use them during the first tournament June 26th I expect the first tournament for Overwatch to flop hard cause the "pros" are using a McCree over way better flankers like a tracer or reaper.

@R10nu said:
@Ballroompirate said:
Best:

1. Symmetra- 61%

2. Torb- 59%

3. Lucio- 57%

4. D.Va- 53.9%

5. Bastion- 53%

Sym and Torb are easily one of the best defensive characters in the game cause they bring a lot to keep heroes at bay or buff their team with a shield and armor combo, you're looking at a good amount of health the other team has to knock off before they kill you if your team has both heroes (torb and sym). People including the so called pros are ignoring what torb and Sym bring to defensive fights cause you're losing out on a teleport, a shield and armor

You have no idea how McCree works, he's suppose to be a flanker and now his dmg with fan is gimped and his dmg is lower than almost literally EVERYONE IN THE GAME outside of maybe some of the healer/support characters. You do realize Roadhog 1 shots squishies with his hook + shotgun right?. McCree relies on short range encounters cause of his stun his guess what,it's short ranged and is worthless beyond a short ranged fight. His fan is just as bad cause it also requires a short ranged fight cause of the recoil on fan makes it worthless outside of a short ranged fight

If you still don't believe me look at the stats

Roadhog does 760 dmg per minute.

http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/1-roadhog

McCree does 690 dmg per minute.

http://masteroverwatch.com/heroes/6-mccree

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jg4xchamp

@skelly34 said:

@jg4xchamp: @MBirdy88:

N

But even in his case he has a hard counter as much as anyone else in the game. Get some solid distance on him and he's easy to mow down, Bastion eats him for lunch, snipers can pick him apart, etc. His heal allows him to stay in conflict, and his hook allows him to flank really well. But he's hardly this go to character everyone is going to use, because team comps just don't work like that. I'm not expecting Dota 2 tier team comp changes, but some of these stats of "who gets played a lot" is so devoid of how a game like that works in the first place. I'd compare it to a fighting game in that regard, where the core shotos get picked a lot (especially Akuma and Ken), but at an actual competitive, you see a healthy range of characters being used in prime fights.

There is some fat on the roster, but Xenyata's alt makes everyone indestructible for a bit and his discord move does more damage than most people expect, Symmetra's turret traps and portals are great depending on the map mode (which is the other variable here), Lucio's escapability makes him more than viable as an alternative for Mercy. Soldier is so basic a character, he just clutches it, Genji WRECKS turrets, Reaper's high dps, McCree gets rid of quick characters, Tracer's speed and reverse move makes her idea for quick flanks and out tactics.

I'd say the only characters where I have major question marks are the Tanks, because as you said if I'm playing defense I mostly stick to Reinhardt. But I've seen good Winstons. I'm not too big on Dva and the chick with the barrier shields. But Roadhog, Reinhardt, and Winston all get their use, and all have their value. Widowmaker is great when not played by randoms over the internet, since all of them are 100% shit teammates.

The only real thing potentially hurting the game, especially on PC is whether or not people will get over how disgustingly simple the shooting engine is. But I'd argue the team comp nature of the game more than makes up for that. Personally don't care about its status as an esport, just happy we get a proper competitive playlist. Because TF2 wasn't exactly an esport, and it was the best shooter of last gen not named Shadow of Chernobyl.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ballroompirate

@skelly34 said:

@Ballroompirate:

No, almost every fucking "pro" team has double Winston if anything. It's almost the only thing they have in common besides Reinhardt and Lucio/Mercy.

You do realize barely any of those "pro" teams play a Winston right?, in fact one person out of those teams play a Winston

http://masteroverwatch.com/esports/pro-teams

Stop posting shit you have no knowledge of

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Skelly34

@Ballroompirate said:
@skelly34 said:

@Ballroompirate:

You do realize barely any of those "pro" teams play a Winston right?, in fact one person out of those teams play a Winston

>Most played heroes is equivalent to what they play absolutely every game

If you actually briefly watched the streams from time to time you would know what I was talking about.

And how about you settle there, friend? No one is taking this as seriously as you are.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ballroompirate

Christ man you're daft as hell a twitch streamer =/= pro nor a youtuber =/= a pro, there's 12 teams in the first Overwatch tournament (first legit one) later this month and none of those players except one person plays a Wilson. I even linked you what those pros are playing cause you have no fraking idea what a pro player is.

Seriously link me these so called Winston players on pro teams or else you're full of shite.

@skelly34 said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@skelly34 said:

@Ballroompirate:

>Most played heroes is equivalent to what they play absolutely every game

If you actually briefly watched the streams from time to time you would know what I was talking about.

And how about you settle there, friend? No one is taking this as seriously as you are.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#49  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

In higher skill levels turrets are easy to get. If a widowmaker cant get it then the turrent probably isn't in a good spot or its placed to stop flankers like genji and tracers.

Honestly people don't know the maps well enough if they cant get a turret.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KittenNose

@Ballroompirate: They are referencing team compositions in competitive Overwatch games and tournaments that have already taken place. You are referencing a list of top played characters for teams, not actual representation of what tournament team comps will look like.

If you want to see what an C9vsEnvy team comp would actually look at, don't look at a block of Cowboys and Widows, try youtube instead.

Actual comps