Old-School vs. New School

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SkateGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 SkateGame
Member since 2005 • 893 Posts
I thought that since console wars is getting people so worked up in arguing, that there should be something else doing the same. So, without further adieu, Old-School gaming vs. New School gaming. Here's points for both...

OLD-SCHOOL: Started off gaming as we know it. Seriously, without these titles, gaming wouldn't be like it is now. Has more forbidden>
SkateGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SkateGame
Ahh... Something's wrong... WTF?!?!?! Good job GS, great programming you guys have... jeez!
Kev_Unreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Kev_Unreal
Member since 2007 • 2818 Posts
Pong ftw
Brown52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Brown52
Member since 2006 • 2639 Posts
Its close, but I would say old school.  My main reason is the difficulty level.  Games today are just too easy.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
I thought that since console wars is getting people so worked up in arguing, that there should be something else doing the same. So, without further adieu, Old-School gaming vs. New School gaming. Here's points for both...

OLD-SCHOOL: Started off gaming as we know it. Seriously, without these titles, gaming wouldn't be like it is now. Has more forbidden>SkateGame
2pac said it best. "I wouldn't be here today, if the old school didn't fad away."
Yeakob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Yeakob
Member since 2004 • 498 Posts
Why were there more memorable characters before? Because they didn't have that much pixels, they had a few to work with and the characters had to be recognizable with distinct colour schemes and attributes. They barely create any popular (Mario/Link/Sonic/Pacman-popular) mascots/characters nowadays and that's because they don't get the basics right. As older games are more close to the "core" of gaming it's easier to fix the problems. Core game elements are lost in all shiny features in newer games.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Old School.. Wait.. What was that? SNES! ..Mmmm..
SkateGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SkateGame
Old SCHOOL: Classics, and what gaming started with... Seriously, gaming wouldn't be what it is today without these games. Plus, nostalgia beats anything that games bring anyway. Games were simple back then. Even my parents could play them! Plus, they managed to be just plain awesome and difficult at the same time. You didn't have steep learning curves... The games were also really original with tons of charm and style. Graphics? They're for idiots! They don't make games any better! Seriously, Mario wouldn't need HD to be a better experience. Plus, the music has been known everywhere... Super Mario Theme, Zelda Theme, etc. Please, games were in the golden years back then... Now, they're just too flashy and forget what's important!

New School: So many more possibilities... Seriously, 3D opens the door to much better gaming than we could've ever imagined. Online multiplayer has also created better gaming communities than I knew possible! Now I don't need to see my enemies ugly face next to me, all I have to do is play them without the hassle of sharing the system! Games have also become much more deeper. Games have better AI, Graphics look 10x better and create a better atmosphere, and the music is of higher quality. I don't know why'd you want to play games with your parents, we can finally play with people who are just as good as areselves, leaving the n00bs at home. I don't care if Old-School started gaming, we redefined it...

That's the arguments of both sides (again). Sry, but GS needs to fix whatever the hell is going on...
SkateGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SkateGame
BUMP please!
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
BUMP please!SkateGame
^-- Oh no, thats a TOS Violation. XD Like I said Old School.. Without roots, your gamer's head would be bald.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
How can you not pick both?
KingOfTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 KingOfTaco
Member since 2007 • 154 Posts
Both. How could you pick otherwise?
KingOfTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 KingOfTaco
Member since 2007 • 154 Posts

Pong ftwKev_Unreal

Pong's overrated...

SkateGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SkateGame

[QUOTE="Kev_Unreal"]Pong ftwKingOfTaco

Pong's overrated...

Actually it was one of the first games ever. Plus, when matched with someone as good as you, you will find yourself immersed in a nearly never ending match. Definitely some of the best multiplayer ever... You don't know what you're talking about...
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
I'll take old school. with a DS. that's real gaming, boys and girls. unique ideas, unique experiences, good times.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Old school... easily...

[spoiler] Bahamut Lagoon
Breath of Fire
Chrono Trigger
Clay Fighter
Contra III
Donkey Kong Country
Doom
Earthbound
Eye of the Beholder
F-Zero
Final Fantasy VI
Gradius III
Harvest Moon
Killer Instinct
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Megaman X
Ogre Battle
Pilotwings
Primal Rage
Rise of the Robots
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Street Fighter II
Super Adventure Island
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario All Stars
Super Metroid
Super Punch Out!!
Tetris Attack
Top Gear
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Wing Commander
Wolfenstein 3D
Zombies Ate My Neighbors [/spoiler]

Does not get much better... unless of course, you bring in the Genesis, NES, Master Drive, Gameboy and Gamegear... then it just goes through the roof... :D
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

They both have their merits. I think the best of today's games far outclass older games. Besides the true "classics", most old games do not age very well.

In the end, I give a slight edge to new-school.

SkateGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SkateGame
I'll take old school. with a DS. that's real gaming, boys and girls. unique ideas, unique experiences, good times.Dreams-Visions
Yeah, that's why I pick Old-School as well. The games were so unique without giving you millions of buttons to push or just over complicating gameplay to take away from the experience. I agree with you 100%... And I usually don't say that to many people.... Wow, I guess I'm disagreeable.
RandomKitsune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RandomKitsune
Member since 2005 • 101 Posts
Nothing will ever top the Snes/Mega Drive era