Official Mass Effect 3 Ending Discussion (Spoilers Galore, New Poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 designer-
Member since 2010 • 1328 Posts

I wonder if they will make ME4 or ME MMO

Jankarcop
Based on comments made so far there will be a continuation of the universe, even if not the series. That being said they really need to close the series in some shape or form before all of this.
designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 designer-

My idea for the ending that doesn't stray far from the ending presented, but instead chooses to actually give the player some REAL choice with some hard decisions:

Effectively, staying in the same thematic framework of "Sacifice" but many things get changed.

Drop Catalyst because it was a stupid Deus Ex Machina. Instead, a VI(perhaps Prothean, or perhaps whatever race started the Crucible) is present at the Crucible within the Citadel. Conversation with him in which we are given an opportunity to see that state of the battle, and the situation unfolding before us. We are given the purpose and effect of the Crucible. It is a device which causes a chain reaction in the Mass Relay system, designed to detonate all of them and emit a massive burst of energy that wipes out the Reapers.

Less of a weapon, and more of a suicide bomb, the device would effectively destroy 50% of the galaxy along with the Reapers. Ends Galactic Civilization, and in fact most life in the Galaxy, but it does stop the cycle. The remaining 50% of the Galaxy that isn't destroyed would be free to live. Life could continue, but it would be severely crippled, and most of the major species would be wiped out. Unknown whether or not life could be sustained after that point, or what it would look like. Nobody would live to remember the sacrifice, but the cycle would end.

Alternately, attempt a half measure. Destroy the Citadel and wipe out the Sol system, annihilating humanity but sparing the rest of the Galaxy. You know the majority of the Reapers are present in the System, and the explosion would also emit enough energy to wipe out other reapers in roughly 1/3 of the Galaxy, so you would effectively wipe out most of them, but you would also wipe out the entire Galactic Fleet and humanity. You are given an option to warn the Galactic Fleet so that they can retreat, but you risk giving the Reapers an opportunity to retreat as well(indicated that it is uncertain whether or not they would intercept your message). You won't destroy all of the Reapers, but you can destroy most of them. Gives the rest of the Galaxy a better chance at defeating the Reapers, but if the Galactic Fleet is destroyed as well, it is unknown whether or not that would be enough. If given the chance to retreat, depending on previous decisions(EMS, etc.) the Galactic Fleet can get away either with or without some of the Reapers finding out. If they do get away, they have a much better chance at defeating the remaining Reapers. Mass Relay system remains largely intact, although the Citadel is destroyed. May or may not succeed, but it gives the Galaxy a fighting chance.

Or, you reject the sacrifice. Argue that one man does not have the right to choose the fate of billions, and that you will continue trying to fight conventionally. Depending on the size force assembled, this may or may not be possible, but regardless the cost will be enormous. Possible that the Reapers will win.

Epilogue changes depending on the choice and explains what your choice led to. Resolution. Choice of sacrifice. Truly massive decision at the end of the game.

KingsMessenger
*Epilogue changes depending on the choice and explains what your choice led to. Resolution. Choice of sacrifice. Truly massive decision at the end of the game.*

I really think thats the key. Thats really why there is so much anger. Yes the multi colored space laser is questionable, but the lack of closer is what really stings. Its sort of left in Mid Air. To me, it just does not feel finished...
factor89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 factor89
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Just finished the game, and IMHO it seems like that at the end Shepard was in some kind of dream or hallucination, it has to be lol. Bc honestly I can't believe they'll finish such serie (one of the greatest I have ever played) with an ending like that. What makes me pissed off about this is that the proper ending will probably be a DLC. D:

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#154 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14944 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

... You are joking right? You have to be joking. The god damn Citadel was literally RIGHT next to Earth. Even a controlled explosion would have obliterated the planet.

KingsMessenger

The severity of the energy effects are testament to how well the Crucibile is built.....high EMS its built well and everyone but the reapers are saved in the red and blue ending, the reapers are controlled without the shockwave....a low EMS means the crucible has flaws which devestate or destroy anything in the blast.

The Crucible is only on the Citadel though. What about every one of the other Mass Relays? Do they just somehow detonate in a way that isn't a detonation? Do you even understand how stupid that sounds? Either they detonate to emit the energy to defeat the Reapers, or they don't. I don't see a middle ground. All you are doing is attempting to justify something that doesn't make any sense by saying "It is controlled explosion because of the Crucible" after the fact. The actual story doesn't REALLY suggest that, in fact it doesn't suggest anything. Your explanation is as good as anyone else's but the fact that the game itself fails to explain it is part of my point. The game doesn't say what the Crucible does, nor does it explain how the Reapers are defeated by it, nor does it explain how all of the Mass Relays being destroyed doesn't manage to destroy the entire galaxy. And the explanations you keep giving aren't actually found anywhere within the game. They are just assumption you are making and justifications you are constructing to defend an ending that doesn't actually justify anything that it does.

No...Liara calls it a powerful weapon...so we know its a powerful energy device. however...notice the explosions of the Relays are different depending on what Shep did (and the blue ending the relays don't blow apart).....or that the Relays like the Citadel are the same Reaper tech....and I wonder why you have Crucible related war assets....so they don't you know, blow everything up. And the fact is, the relays were destroyed IN A MUCH DIFFERENT FASHION. There is a problem in that Sword, Hammer, and Shield assets aren't tracked individually, but a low EMS assumes that the Crucible was not built well.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

designer-

Based on comments made so far there will be a continuation of the universe, even if not the series. That being said they really need to close the series in some shape or form before all of this.

I think the current endings will make people even more hungry a sequel , which is why they did it.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#156 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]

So here is how I think the ending should have gone. For simplicity sake I kept the Crucible and War Assets

So there would be 3 ways the game could end, Bad, Ok, and Good. With Ok and Good having variations based on your choices.

War Assets would have worked differently, instead of there being an overall build up, War Assets would be split into 2 groups, one for building the Crucible and one for assembling a Fleet. And it can be entirely possible that the Crucible is not finished.

Bad Ending: This is the ending you get if you went to face the Reapers with only the Crucible or Fleet.

In this ending, the Fleet or Crucible, Shepard and the Normandy, is destroyed, along with all hope of defeating the Reapers. They are now free to continue their destruction of the advanced races in the cycle and subsequent cycles.

Ok Ending: In this ending, you had enough War Assets to build the Crucible and assemble a decent Fleet.

However with only a small Fleet, Shepard is forced to sacrifice him/herself, along with a major race of their choosing. While Shepard and that race are dead, the Reapers were destroyed and the remaing races are able to continue to live, never forgetting the sacrifices made.

Good Paragon Ending:In this ending, you not only were able to build the Crucible, but assembled a large Fleet.

With the combined forces of the Crucible and the largest Fleet ever assembled, the forces of the Galaxy were able to defeat the Reapers, ending their destruction of advanced races. While all races took huge losses, their sacrifice will not be forgotten as the galaxy enters a new era of peace between races. Shepard either continues to be a soldier in the Alliance or, if they had a LI, Shepard quits the Alliance to live the rest of his/her life with their LI.

Good Renegade Ending:

In this ending, you not only were able to build the Crucible, but assembled a large Fleet.

With the combined forces of the Crucible and the largest Fleet ever assembled, the forces of the Galaxy were able to put a big fight against the Reapers. However using the technology stolen from Cerberus, Shepard was ultimately able to control some of the Reapers allowing the Human race to be the dominate race in the galaxy. If Shepard had an LI, they ultimately leave them because they do not like what Shepard has become.

And there would be some small differences based on some decision, such as the Geneophage and Quarian-Geth War.

EliteM0nk3y

I personally liked the idea someone had on the site that shall not be named. Reapers challenge the galaxy to a space jam.

lol I wouldn't mind that. As long as I get satisfaction I'm fine :P

But the reapers can't do the shepard shuffle ;) And I love your endings by the way, that is exactly how I imagined it. In fact I even kept the three endings we have now as possibilities if you choose to do so.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] The severity of the energy effects are testament to how well the Crucibile is built.....high EMS its built well and everyone but the reapers are saved in the red and blue ending, the reapers are controlled without the shockwave....a low EMS means the crucible has flaws which devestate or destroy anything in the blast.Ace6301

The Crucible is only on the Citadel though. What about every one of the other Mass Relays? Do they just somehow detonate in a way that isn't a detonation? Do you even understand how stupid that sounds? Either they detonate to emit the energy to defeat the Reapers, or they don't. I don't see a middle ground. All you are doing is attempting to justify something that doesn't make any sense by saying "It is controlled explosion because of the Crucible" after the fact. The actual story doesn't REALLY suggest that, in fact it doesn't suggest anything. Your explanation is as good as anyone else's but the fact that the game itself fails to explain it is part of my point. The game doesn't say what the Crucible does, nor does it explain how the Reapers are defeated by it, nor does it explain how all of the Mass Relays being destroyed doesn't manage to destroy the entire galaxy. And the explanations you keep giving aren't actually found anywhere within the game. They are just assumption you are making and justifications you are constructing to defend an ending that doesn't actually justify anything that it does.

He's just in denial like the others who try to justify it. We should pity him, not feel anger toward him.

If the ending wa ssoooo bad, why wasn't there a critcial consensus that the ending was bad....most reviews praised the ending or didn't comment on them, with over 30 perfect scores....its the vocal minority thats in denial. Some reviewers did ineed criticize th eending, but only a few. Game Informer's reviewer straight out said he liked the ending.
designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 designer-

[QUOTE="designer-"][QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Jankarcop

I think the current endings will make people even more hungry a sequel , which is why they did it.

I doubt they will continue it from a Shepard perspective. In ME2 you really had to be rushing the game to die, in ME3 its over, there is no way for the continue and go back to a carte blanche. Honestly its dumb, but I have my fingers crossed for a DLC with alternative endings. I am find with paying some $5-$10 to have a shot at rewriting the ending, hell I will happily replay the game from scratch if it occurs.
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#159 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] I personally liked the idea someone had on the site that shall not be named. Reapers challenge the galaxy to a space jam.wis3boi

lol I wouldn't mind that. As long as I get satisfaction I'm fine :P

But the reapers can't do the shepard shuffle ;) And I love your endings by the way, that is exactly how I imagined it. In fact I even kept the three endings we have now as possibilities if you choose to do so.

Thanks, I always felt this is how the series should end. Seems to fit within the universe

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#160 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

I don't even know how to properly express how pissed off I am with this ending.

I just...I don't know. I kept thinking after reading so many reports from so many people saying it sucked that they were just haters. That the ending couldn't possibly be THAT bad.

And then I saw it. And yes, it's THAT bad.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

I guess i'm a dying breed of people who like really F'ed up endings in my movies and games lmao.

No wonder OldBoy is my 2nd most favorite movie ever.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#162 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]The Crucible is only on the Citadel though. What about every one of the other Mass Relays? Do they just somehow detonate in a way that isn't a detonation? Do you even understand how stupid that sounds? Either they detonate to emit the energy to defeat the Reapers, or they don't. I don't see a middle ground. All you are doing is attempting to justify something that doesn't make any sense by saying "It is controlled explosion because of the Crucible" after the fact. The actual story doesn't REALLY suggest that, in fact it doesn't suggest anything. Your explanation is as good as anyone else's but the fact that the game itself fails to explain it is part of my point. The game doesn't say what the Crucible does, nor does it explain how the Reapers are defeated by it, nor does it explain how all of the Mass Relays being destroyed doesn't manage to destroy the entire galaxy. And the explanations you keep giving aren't actually found anywhere within the game. They are just assumption you are making and justifications you are constructing to defend an ending that doesn't actually justify anything that it does.texasgoldrush
He's just in denial like the others who try to justify it. We should pity him, not feel anger toward him.

If the ending wa ssoooo bad, why wasn't there a critcial consensus that the ending was bad....most reviews praised the ending or didn't comment on them, with over 30 perfect scores....its the vocal minority thats in denial. Some reviewers did ineed criticize th eending, but only a few. Game Informer's reviewer straight out said he liked the ending.

Vocal minority. Lol. 3% said they were fine with the ending in the largest poll done for this. Oh man video game critics! Ultimate source of literary critique!
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#163 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

I don't even know how to properly express how pissed off I am with this ending.

I just...I don't know. I kept thinking after reading so many reports from so many people saying it sucked that they were just haters. That the ending couldn't possibly be THAT bad.

And then I saw it. And yes, it's THAT bad.

The_Game21x

That's exactly how I felt. In fact, I don't even want to play Mass Effect anymore. Not until they fix those endings some how. And if they don't, well guess I'm never playing Mass Effect again.

designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 designer-
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] If the ending wa ssoooo bad, why wasn't there a critcial consensus that the ending was bad....most reviews praised the ending or didn't comment on them, with over 30 perfect scores....its the vocal minority thats in denial. Some reviewers did ineed criticize th eending, but only a few. Game Informer's reviewer straight out said he liked the ending.

You said it yourself, its about 30 people. Many of which may not have finished the game to the end, or even if they did, would not have felt that the end is worth making a fuss about. You are right in that the ending is just the end, the last 10 minutes should not weigh so heavily on what was (for me) around 30 hours of gameplay (MP and SP). That being said, the ending is what ties everything together, all that hard work, all those choices was so that in the end you could see them pay off. It just didn't feel like it did.

Not every gamer is being objective, and I don't think its fair to say that Bioware made a bad game because of the ending. But its sort of akin to have the s**ts after going for amazing chinese food. Sure the food was awesome, but the result was so bad that it makes you wonder if it was worth it..
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

No...Liara calls it a powerful weapon...so we know its a powerful energy device. however...notice the explosions of the Relays are different depending on what Shep did (and the blue ending the relays don't blow apart).....or that the Relays like the Citadel are the same Reaper tech....and I wonder why you have Crucible related war assets....so they don't you know, blow everything up. And the fact is, the relays were destroyed IN A MUCH DIFFERENT FASHION. There is a problem in that Sword, Hammer, and Shield assets aren't tracked individually, but a low EMS assumes that the Crucible was not built well.texasgoldrush

I basically maxed out the EMS. Did every quest and got 100% readiness.

And if the Relays are still intact, why wouldn't they work? They aren't AI or synthetic driven. They are canonically effectively just massive Element Zero drive cores.

Again, the game fails to really explain why anything that it does would happen in a particular game. You are rewriting the ending just as much as anyone who actually writes their own "preferred" ending...

I'm done arguing with you. The ending has plenty of problems and it is kind of impossible to ignore that. The fact that 21,000 people have now signed the petition saying that the ending is such garbage that they would actually prefer to have BioWare rewrite a different ending through DLC clearly demonstrates that most people aren't satisfied.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] He's just in denial like the others who try to justify it. We should pity him, not feel anger toward him.

Vocal minority. Lol. 3% said they were fine with the ending in the largest poll done for this. Oh man video game critics! Ultimate source of literary critique!

its better than whiny fans.....
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Ace6301

I guess i'm a dying breed of people who like really F'ed up endings in my movies and games lmao.

Jankarcop
Perfectly fine with messed up endings. Not so okay with poorly written, contrived and nonsensical endings that resolve a series that for a full play through requires about 90 hours with 3 minutes of video that doesn't even reflect the outcome the player experienced.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#168 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] If the ending wa ssoooo bad, why wasn't there a critcial consensus that the ending was bad....most reviews praised the ending or didn't comment on them, with over 30 perfect scores....its the vocal minority thats in denial. Some reviewers did ineed criticize th eending, but only a few. Game Informer's reviewer straight out said he liked the ending.designer-
You said it yourself, its about 30 people. Many of which may not have finished the game to the end, or even if they did, would not have felt that the end is worth making a fuss about. You are right in that the ending is just the end, the last 10 minutes should not weigh so heavily on what was (for me) around 30 hours of gameplay (MP and SP). That being said, the ending is what ties everything together, all that hard work, all those choices was so that in the end you could see them pay off. It just didn't feel like it did.

Not every gamer is being objective, and I don't think its fair to say that Bioware made a bad game because of the ending. But its sort of akin to have the s**ts after going for amazing chinese food. Sure the food was awesome, but the result was so bad that it makes you wonder if it was worth it..

I feel comparing this ending to the s**ts is the most appropriate analogy.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 KingsMessenger

Not every gamer is being objective, and I don't think its fair to say that Bioware made a bad game because of the ending. But its sort of akin to have the s**ts after going for amazing chinese food. Sure the food was awesome, but the result was so bad that it makes you wonder if it was worth it..designer-

Agreed. I loved the game overall. One of my favorite games of all-time. But the ending was garbage, and really does sour the experience. Especially given how lazy it seems. Seriously, how can anyone genuinely attempt to defend the "Pick your color of space laser" cutscene at the end. Stop talking philosophically about whether or not the substance is satisfying or really what has been discussed at length for the past several pages. Assume all of that was universally accepted and everyone was OK with it. Now, genuinely admit to me that you are OK with the final choice making absolutely no difference on the ending of the game. That you are OK with BioWare making all three endings practically identical beyond a simple color swap. Tell me that genuinely sits well with you given what this series has always been about, and given the FACT that BioWare said there would be multiple endings so that players wouldn't just get the same ending as everyone else(which is precisely what we got)... Tell me that sits well with you...

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]No...Liara calls it a powerful weapon...so we know its a powerful energy device. however...notice the explosions of the Relays are different depending on what Shep did (and the blue ending the relays don't blow apart).....or that the Relays like the Citadel are the same Reaper tech....and I wonder why you have Crucible related war assets....so they don't you know, blow everything up. And the fact is, the relays were destroyed IN A MUCH DIFFERENT FASHION. There is a problem in that Sword, Hammer, and Shield assets aren't tracked individually, but a low EMS assumes that the Crucible was not built well.KingsMessenger

And if the Relays are still intact, why wouldn't they work? They aren't AI or synthetic driven. They are canonically effectively just massive Element Zero drive cores.

Again, the game fails to really explain why anything that it does would happen in a particular game. You are rewriting the ending just as much as anyone who actually writes their own "preferred" ending...

I'm done arguing with you. The ending has plenty of problems and it is kind of impossible to ignore that. The fact that 21,000 people have now signed the petition saying that the ending is such garbage that they would actually prefer to have BioWare rewrite a different ending through DLC clearly demonstrates that most people aren't satisfied.

And Bioware doesn't have to care...they actually said about the ending PRE RELEASE, a month before, that people will be angry about the ending. Most fans just wanted a happy ending despite the games themes, to have Shep bei with his playdate forever. And there is a difference between a asteroid and the crucible....plain and simple. And really, no one knew how the crucible worked, but its feasable to build.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="designer-"]Not every gamer is being objective, and I don't think its fair to say that Bioware made a bad game because of the ending. But its sort of akin to have the s**ts after going for amazing chinese food. Sure the food was awesome, but the result was so bad that it makes you wonder if it was worth it..KingsMessenger

Agreed. I loved the game overall. One of my favorite games of all-time. But the ending was garbage, and really does sour the experience. Especially given how lazy it seems. Seriously, how can anyone genuinely attempt to defend the "Pick your color of space laser" cutscene at the end. Stop talking philosophically about whether or not the substance is satisfying or really what has been discussed at length for the past several pages. Assume all of that was universally accepted and everyone was OK with it. Now, genuinely admit to me that you are OK with the final choice making absolutely no difference on the ending of the game. That you are OK with BioWare making all three endings practically identical beyond a simple color swap. Tell me that genuinely sits well with you given what this series has always been about, and given the FACT that BioWare said there would be multiple endings so that players wouldn't just get the same ending as everyone else(which is precisely what we got)... Tell me that sits well with you...

Nevermind the outcome behind them is TOTALLY DIFFERENT, especially the green ending.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Ace6301
[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]No...Liara calls it a powerful weapon...so we know its a powerful energy device. however...notice the explosions of the Relays are different depending on what Shep did (and the blue ending the relays don't blow apart).....or that the Relays like the Citadel are the same Reaper tech....and I wonder why you have Crucible related war assets....so they don't you know, blow everything up. And the fact is, the relays were destroyed IN A MUCH DIFFERENT FASHION. There is a problem in that Sword, Hammer, and Shield assets aren't tracked individually, but a low EMS assumes that the Crucible was not built well.texasgoldrush

And Bioware doesn't have to care...they actually said about the ending PRE RELEASE, a month before, that people will be angry about the ending. Most fans just wanted a happy ending despite the games themes, to have Shep bei with his playdate forever. And there is a difference between a asteroid and the crucible....plain and simple.

"If you really build a lot of stuff and bring people to your side and rally the entire galaxy around you, and you come into the end game with that, then you'll get an amazing, very definitive ending." Yup sounds like they were setting us up for disappointment.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="designer-"]Not every gamer is being objective, and I don't think its fair to say that Bioware made a bad game because of the ending. But its sort of akin to have the s**ts after going for amazing chinese food. Sure the food was awesome, but the result was so bad that it makes you wonder if it was worth it..texasgoldrush

Nevermind the outcome behind them is TOTALLY DIFFERENT, especially the green ending.

That hardly matters. The choice is between three moderately philosophically different variations on the same thing. And BioWare handed us the same cutscene with three different colors. It just feels lazy. The writing isn't nearly strong enough and the difference between the choices isn't nearly strong enough to actually carry the ending beyond the fact that the game resolves in practically the same way for EVERYONE, directly contradicting a promise that BioWare made years ago. It just doesn't sit well, and you can't even begin to defend it, can you?

Hawisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Hawisher
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
If you're one of those people who feels better about your "headcanon" once it's written down, let me know. I've been looking for a writing project, so I'm going to write a short fic for a couple different endings/romantic interests. Perhaps I'll write several. If anybody wants one, reply and I'll post a link. Tape it to your TV, hire Morgan Freeman to narrate it, I don't care. All I know is that once I write down how it "really" ended, that's how I'll remember it, and I'll feel a lot better about it. Sure it won't be the same as if Shepard and Tali had a good, final cutscene... But I'll take warered-down lemonade instead of pissing and moaning about how sour the lemons are. If you're interested, say so. It'd mean a lot to me.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 texasgoldrush

KingsMessenger

That hardly matters. The choice is between three moderately philosophically different variations on the same thing. And BioWare handed us the same cutscene with three different colors. It just feels lazy. The writing isn't nearly strong enough and the difference between the choices isn't nearly strong enough to actually carry the ending beyond the fact that the game resolves in practically the same way for EVERYONE, directly contradicting a promise that BioWare made years ago. It just doesn't sit well, and you can't even begin to defend it, can you?

and the EMS determines if your homeworld is ruined, which means that Shep failed to protect Earth. That is huge. Or that everyone in his crew dies, etc.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] If the ending wa ssoooo bad, why wasn't there a critcial consensus that the ending was bad....most reviews praised the ending or didn't comment on them, with over 30 perfect scores....its the vocal minority thats in denial. Some reviewers did ineed criticize th eending, but only a few. Game Informer's reviewer straight out said he liked the ending.texasgoldrush

You for real? The fans are whiny because it's clear that several things were either done in a rush or simply not done properly at all. The whole issue with tali for instance was atrocious. Why did we have to see her through a god damn picture frame (and this is forgetting about the fact that the picture was another person's material) when she took off her helmit on her homeworld?

Why do we do more damage than the reapers did with all our endings? (if we go by canon of course)

I also felt that we weren't given a proper opportunity on the Asari homeworld and well, we were on a moon orbiting the turion homeworld so we didn't even get to see it at all. Ironically we saw the quarian homeworld the most but that was just a vast, empty world.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#177 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Okay, so there seem to be a heavy rumor in the Bioware forums that Shepard was indoctrinated the whole time during the last 10 minute of the game. It is a really interesting theory heavily support with a lot of detailed observations. If this is true then Bioware is genious but again it seems like slim chance it might be actually true. For anybody who is interested.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9727423/1 Long read warning!

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Nevermind the outcome behind them is TOTALLY DIFFERENT, especially the green ending.texasgoldrush

and the EMS determines if your homeworld is ruined, which means that Shep failed to protect Earth. That is huge. Or that everyone in his crew dies, etc.

Oh please.... You cannot be serious.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] Vocal minority. Lol. 3% said they were fine with the ending in the largest poll done for this. Oh man video game critics! Ultimate source of literary critique!GD1551

You for real? The fans are whiny because it's clear that several things were either done in a rush or simply not done properly at all. The whole issue with tali for instance was atrocious. Why did we have to see her through a god damn picture frame (and this is forgetting about the fact that the picture was another person's material) when she took off her helmit on her homeworld?

Why do we do more damage than the reapers did with all our endings? (if we go by canon of course)

I also felt that we weren't given a proper opportunity on the Asari homeworld and well, we were on a moon orbiting the turion homeworld so we didn't even get to see it at all. Ironically we saw the quarian homeworld the most but that was just a vast, empty world.

Because Bioware didn't even decide if they were going to show Tali's face until the very last minute. Even the team debated this through development. So getting entire galactic civ annihilated is better than sacrifcing the relays, whatever. The asari homeworld was always designed to be one mission, nothing was rushed here and in fact, Liara's possible death was cut.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 texasgoldrush

KingsMessenger

Oh please.... You cannot be serious.

So, on a personal level, the deaths of his homeworld and everyone he fought for isn't significant....whatever.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Because Bioware didn't even decide if they were going to show Tali's face until the very last minute. Even the team debated this through development.

So getting entire galactic civ annihilated is better than sacrifcing the relays, whatever.

The asari homeworld was always designed to be one mission, nothing was rushed here and in fact, Liara's possible death was cut.texasgoldrush

You missed the point of every single instance I brought up.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Vaasman

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Nevermind the outcome behind them is TOTALLY DIFFERENT, especially the green ending.texasgoldrush

So the options are a bad ending, or a really bad ending.

Glad all those choices gave me some variety.

Hawisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Hawisher
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
So nobody's interested in a fixfic? :/
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

[QUOTE="hayato_"]

It sounds like you fans want an ending with 100 different variables, which imo would be impossible to do given the system Mass Effect's system of choosing dialogue and actions. I'm not a huge fan, but the endings I saw on youtube seemed good enough. I've always liked the story of Mass Effect but never got into the gameplay so I usually just followed players on youtube and my friend who also bought and played the series.

Vaasman

What I wanted was for the game to properly sum up the 100 hours or so I put into the story with my legacy shep. Not to pull a Deus Ex Machina AI out of it's ass and invalidate everything I had accomplished, and then just end without saying anything about the galaxy I left behind.

Could have had one locked ending for all I care, as long as it didn't suck so much.

I think in a game that handles itself in a non-linear fashion that would be impossible to do. They'd have to create about 20 plus endings that were about 30- 40 mins long imo.

Edit: Its funny reading everybodies own personal endings they have written for the game. They don't sound any better than Bioware's endings

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
The fact that there are people defending the ending only further angers me.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="hayato_"]

It sounds like you fans want an ending with 100 different variables, which imo would be impossible to do given the system Mass Effect's system of choosing dialogue and actions. I'm not a huge fan, but the endings I saw on youtube seemed good enough. I've always liked the story of Mass Effect but never got into the gameplay so I usually just followed players on youtube and my friend who also bought and played the series.

hayato_

What I wanted was for the game to properly sum up the 100 hours or so I put into the story with my legacy shep. Not to pull a Deus Ex Machina AI out of it's ass and invalidate everything I had accomplished, and then just end without saying anything about the galaxy I left behind.

Could have had one locked ending for all I care, as long as it didn't suck so much.

I think in a game that handles itself in a non-linear fashion that would be impossible to do. They'd have to create about 20 plus endings that were about 30- 40 mins long imo.

Edit: Its funny reading everybodies own personal endings they have written for the game. They don't sound any better than Bioware's endings

Yep....and really wildly divergent endings would have destroyed the games message about sacrificing for the greater good and for those that you love. Players just do not take this into account. But what they did expertly is weave all the first two games decisions into the narrative of ME3. And fans do not realize, choice matters more in ME3 than any other Bioware game...which suffered from good ending/evil ending syndrome.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 wolverine4262

Yep....and really wildly divergent endings would have destroyed the games message about sacrificing for the greater good and for those that you love. Players just do not take this into account. But what they did expertly is weave all the first two games decisions into the narrative of ME3. And fans do not realize, choice matters more in ME3 than any other Bioware game...which suffered from good ending/evil ending syndrome.texasgoldrush
except that divergent endings is what we were promised from the beginning. The ending would have been perfect if it stopped at anderson and shep activating the catalyst and seeing it destroy the reapers. Followed by a simple epilogue that shows how our actions shaped the galaxy. Im completely fine with the sad ending where the hero dies. Make that the point of the war assets. Its so much easier than what they actually did and its freaking satisfying.

skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#188 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts
[QUOTE="hayato_"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]What I wanted was for the game to properly sum up the 100 hours or so I put into the story with my legacy shep. Not to pull a Deus Ex Machina AI out of it's ass and invalidate everything I had accomplished, and then just end without saying anything about the galaxy I left behind.

texasgoldrush

Yep....and really wildly divergent endings would have destroyed the games message about sacrificing for the greater good and for those that you love. Players just do not take this into account. But what they did expertly is weave all the first two games decisions into the narrative of ME3. And fans do not realize, choice matters more in ME3 than any other Bioware game...which suffered from good ending/evil ending syndrome.

Whereas this game suffers from one ending syndrome. And I get that the game's theme was all about sacrifice, but the whole series has also been about unifying races together across the galaxy, making lasting relationships and making choices that affect all those around you. That all seemed to have been totally thrown out the window in the last five minutes of the game. How is destroying Mass Relays, effectively severing all ties aliens have to one another and possibly leading to galactic collapse anyway, any better than just getting wiped out by the Reapers? Why do I feel as though nothing I did over the course of three games changed the ultimate ending that everyone else got? I don't know about you, but I loved this series for some very specific reasons (choice and characters) and I feel like neither of these were represented in the conclusion
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#189 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="hayato_"] I think in a game that handles itself in a non-linear fashion that would be impossible to do. They'd have to create about 20 plus endings that were about 30- 40 mins long imo.

skinny_man_69

Whereas this game suffers from one ending syndrome. And I get that the game's theme was all about sacrifice, but the whole series has also been about unifying races together across the galaxy, making lasting relationships and making choices that affect all those around you. That all seemed to have been totally thrown out the window in the last five minutes of the game. How is destroying Mass Relays, effectively severing all ties aliens have to one another and possibly leading to galactic collapse anyway, any better than just getting wiped out by the Reapers? Why do I feel as though nothing I did over the course of three games changed the ultimate ending that everyone else got? I don't know about you, but I loved this series for some very specific reasons (choice and characters) and I feel like neither of these were represented in the conclusion

He can see what you cannot obviously.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="hayato_"] I think in a game that handles itself in a non-linear fashion that would be impossible to do. They'd have to create about 20 plus endings that were about 30- 40 mins long imo. Edit: Its funny reading everybodies own personal endings they have written for the game. They don't sound any better than Bioware's endingsskinny_man_69

because getting wiped out by the reapers is a sure death......a galaxy forever changed is not. The series has narrative themes, such as choices and uniting the races. Fail and Earth burns. But a single work in the series can have its own themes and in ME3's case, its sacrifice. The characters WERE represented in the ending...you have a final goodbye with them before the end mission where a parting is implied.
superkiller27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 superkiller27
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

It feels like they wanted to make a Mass Effect 4, but EA said: NO! WRAP IT UP! and they had to rage-end the game.

Shepard didn`t need to die in either of the three choices, the concept of the protoganist dying in epic trilogies is influenced by previously successful stories such as Tolken's Lord of the Rings. People tailor their stories based off that concept and it's getting quite old and boring. The ending is detached from any choices I've made and it's really lame that they used this boring generic concept of " HERO DYING = SAVE EVERY1 ".

If they were going to make an independant ending that had nothing to do with my choices, then they should have made it extremely wild. Like for instance the crucible transforms the earth into a giant flower and orders every reaper to come together to make a gigatic smiley face thats the size of the solar system and flashes xmas-themed lights for eternity, while shepard gets to fk tali ash miranda TOGETHER. Also aim every relay at the center of the galaxy for luls.

Ending was just bad cuz noob humans wrote it, if geth or EDI wrote the story it would pwn

fk u EA, im never paying anything you make again

gonna buy skins in league of legends and play world of warcraft all my life to spite u

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynYgr1rqEec&feature=g-u-u&context=G2afffc1FUAAAAAAABAA

theory that the end was really a dream sequence

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="skinny_man_69"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Yep....and really wildly divergent endings would have destroyed the games message about sacrificing for the greater good and for those that you love. Players just do not take this into account. But what they did expertly is weave all the first two games decisions into the narrative of ME3. And fans do not realize, choice matters more in ME3 than any other Bioware game...which suffered from good ending/evil ending syndrome.siLVURcross

He can see what you cannot obviously.

If you pay attention to the script the ending is somewhat foreshdowed by its themes, from many of the conversations such as Javik about Legion, the Rannoch Reaper's dying words, the romance arcs, etc.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Vaasman

[QUOTE="skinny_man_69"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Yep....and really wildly divergent endings would have destroyed the games message about sacrificing for the greater good and for those that you love. Players just do not take this into account. But what they did expertly is weave all the first two games decisions into the narrative of ME3. And fans do not realize, choice matters more in ME3 than any other Bioware game...which suffered from good ending/evil ending syndrome.texasgoldrush

because getting wiped out by the reapers is a sure death......a galaxy forever changed is not. The series has narrative themes, such as choices and uniting the races. Fail and Earth burns. But a single work in the series can have its own themes and in ME3's case, its sacrifice. The characters WERE represented in the ending...you have a final goodbye with them before the end mission where a parting is implied.

That isn't a resolution, that's the climax and their words are uncertain. There is no real resolution, you never see what happens to any of the characters past the final battle.

Imagine if Lord of the Rings ended as soon as Saurons tower collapsed and frodo was just stranded on mount doom, fade to black roll credits.

Wouldn't you be pissed?

designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 designer-

Jankarcop

Old Boy was truly and utterly F'ed up, there is no other way to put that. It was amazing to watch, it tied the movie well together, and plot holes and inconsistencies that came up as the movie progressed were tied up into a neat little box (with a bow on top). It may have been completely mind altering but it was what the movie had been building towards. Mass Effect 3's ending is the exact damn opposite....

designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 designer-

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Yep....and really wildly divergent endings would have destroyed the games message about sacrificing for the greater good and for those that you love. Players just do not take this into account. But what they did expertly is weave all the first two games decisions into the narrative of ME3. And fans do not realize, choice matters more in ME3 than any other Bioware game...which suffered from good ending/evil ending syndrome.wolverine4262

except that divergent endings is what we were promised from the beginning. The ending would have been perfect if it stopped at anderson and shep activating the catalyst and seeing it destroy the reapers. Followed by a simple epilogue that shows how our actions shaped the galaxy. Im completely fine with the sad ending where the hero dies. Make that the point of the war assets. Its so much easier than what they actually did and its freaking satisfying.

I honestly thought that was the ending when playing. Then Shepard gets lifted in that elevator and I thought that his death was what was required to start the crucible (also could have been a worthy ending with some explanation). But no.....
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 wolverine4262

That isn't a resolution, that's the climax and their words are uncertain. There is no real resolution, you never see what happens to any of the characters past the final battle.

Imagine if Lord of the Rings ended as soon as Saurons tower collapsed and frodo was just stranded on mount doom, fade to black roll credits.

Wouldn't you be pissed?

Vaasman

YES! This is absolutely what we need. Resolution.

Everyone seems to forget that the quarians may very well have died by the destroy option as well, but we cannot know that as the game shows us nothing after the battle.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#199 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I got the ending with the synthesis and where Shepard dies and Anderson dies. I loved ME3. I'm playing back through the series now.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Ace6301
I guess they cut the Female Shepard to Anderson conversation down significantly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI1oUAUe4Qg I have no idea why. I think this is good enough to keep at the very least. Honestly I think the ending I would have preferred at this point would have been Shepard and Anderson dying after this conversation with the last thing Shepard hearing being whether the Crucible worked or not and determining how it functioned off what kind of person Shepard was in the playthrough. Even just a short text summary of what happened to certain important characters would have been better than what we got.