Official Mass Effect 3 Ending Discussion (Spoilers Galore, New Poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 designer-
Member since 2010 • 1328 Posts

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

Just finished ME3, full paragon Synthesis ending and I was a little short of words on the whole thing. I absolutely loved the game up until the ending and I by no means want or thought that the ending would be a happy one but there are just so many things wrong with it currently.

First off there are the plot holes. Why is Joker and the Normandy running away from the fight? How did the team members that I have to assume were killed by Harbinger in the final assault appear on the ship unscathed? How did the illusive man get inside the citadel? Why is the original creator the child from Shepards visions?

Those are all quite minor; the main holes come in the lack of closure. Non of my choices mattered.. Whether or not to spread the real genophage, the saving of the rachni queen, the whole situation with the geth it all accounted for nothing more than numbers on my Galactic readiness report. They were worth nothing.

I guess what hurts the most is the squandered potential. Mass Effect was always about two things, the Galaxy, and your companions. If bioware wanted to put a final touch that would have been emotional as well, why not hang those two against each other in the final decision. Have it be the Normandy and Earth die, so that the other species can remain or Vica Versa. I am not saying this would be a perfect ending, but I do feel that Bioware could have taken some of the fans out for beers and pizza and right then and there come up with a better more complete ending.

Thoughts SW? Also, since this is SW, PC is expensive, Xbox breaks easily, PS3 has no games and the Wii is a fad.

**edit for spelling and spoiler title

**moderator's note**

Due to the spoiler lock down in the sticky thread, I'm going to give a green light to this thread to operate outside the sticky, for the express purpose of spoiler discussion. But just this one thread here. All others will be locked for avoiding the sticky. Now play nice y'all :)

AdobeArtist

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

1. there is a stick

2. Bioware is trolling their fans just for teh lulz

designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 designer-

1. there is a stick

eboyishere
Sticky says no spoiler discussions... I know people are sort of chatting about it through spoiler tags but this might be a reasonable alternative
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

my mind was completely f*cked at the last 10min of the game. Full of holes, unanswered questions, and in general the galaxy was still creamed in the good ending. The rest of the game is fantastic, but wow.....I barely have any words to what the end is. It makes me wonder how the hell could this franchise continue, even in DLC format.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

I am pretty sure that an 'alternate endings pack' will be available some time later in form of DLC:lol:

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]

1. there is a stick

designer-

Sticky says no spoiler discussions... I know people are sort of chatting about it through spoiler tags but this might be a reasonable alternative

oh wow yea your right :P

I am pretty sure that an 'alternate endings pack' will be available some time later in form of DLC:lol:

call_of_duty_10

thats the first thing I thought too

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

First off there is a Sticky

--

I liked the ending I saw, it ended the series well. The only thing I wanted was for it to be expanded upon - what we have done/been doing since Mass Effect 1 has all meant based upon our choices in Mass Effect 3 are finally brought to a climax (which the ending I got showed) I just wanted a MGS-style super long super descriptive cutscene to show the aftermath.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61524 Posts

Everything leading up to the ending was fantastic, The ending, in and of itself, pretty much sucked. I'm working on keeping Anderson/Shep alive in this playthrough.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

The ending was horrible, but I think I can deal with that(well, maybe). I think what pisses me off the most is that this entire franchise is built around your choices and the consequences of those choices, and the big finale tosses those out the window and boils down to "Which color of mystical space magic do you want to f*** over the galaxy with"

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
1.Joker and the Normandy running away from the fight? if you were being chased by a unknown glowing rainbowlights wouldn't you run away from it? don't forget the second game joker said that he wasn't going to lose another Normandy and he didn't want to be hit by the rainbow lights. 2. as for the crew members they never showed them running to the citadel so my guess is that shepherd had them retreat because there was a lot of people running to the beam already. 3.illusive man was being controlled by the citadel and because he believed he was controlling the reapers he was aloud to be at the citadel. 4. the catalyst that lived in the citadel had no form so when shepherd got there the catalyst saw in his mind that the image of the boy that died in the attack was heavy on shepherd 's mind and it used that as a image that shepherd would understand. and regarding the choices that is made the only impact they seem to have is what changes on the items you find for attack strength of the army. i loved the ending to me it made sense.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

Well this will probably get locked.

But I could honestly write a full length dissertation on of all the things wrong with the ending. It's atrocious. I really don't know how Bioware could write such a compelling story, and then just completely drop the ball in the last 10 minutes.

designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 designer-

call_of_duty_10
You laugh but I would buy it. Its not about the duration at this point, rather just an effective sense of closure on a series that I have been apart of for over 100 hours, spanning many years..
designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 designer-
[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]1.Joker and the Normandy running away from the fight? if you were being chased by a unknown glowing rainbowlights wouldn't you run away from it? don't forget the second game joker said that he wasn't going to lose another Normandy and he didn't want to be hit by the rainbow lights. 2. as for the crew members they never showed them running to the citadel so my guess is that shepherd had them retreat because there was a lot of people running to the beam already. 3.illusive man was being controlled by the citadel and because he believed he was controlling the reapers he was aloud to be at the citadel. 4. the catalyst that lived in the citadel had no form so when shepherd got there the catalyst saw in his mind that the image of the boy that died in the attack was heavy on shepherd 's mind and it used that as a image that shepherd would understand. and regarding the choices that is made the only impact they seem to have is what changes on the items you find for attack strength of the army. i loved the ending to me it made sense.

You cant honestly tell me that that works for you as an explanation. Characters that are with you on the tank on the way, the ones that you give a pep talk too will show up on the Normandy end of game. Yes Joker said he would not loose another ship, but hell, the explosion was instant and all the fighting was based around the crucible.

But honestly thats just nit picking, the lack of closure, the lack of explanation about the reapers creators, and just a lack of explanation about the reapers is where this faulters. Right now the series, no matter your choices, ends with no idea of what is going to happen to the universe, what is happening to your crew (jungle planet, no ship, no relays...) or just any real sense of end.

The game would honestly be stronger, with Shep and Anderson, dying as the Crucible explodes and kills the reapers. Throw in the death of the normandy and most of the fleet for a stronger emotional impact and its not half bad..
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vaasman

1.Joker and the Normandy running away from the fight? if you were being chased by a unknown glowing rainbowlights wouldn't you run away from it? don't forget the second game joker said that he wasn't going to lose another Normandy and he didn't want to be hit by the rainbow lights. 2. as for the crew members they never showed them running to the citadel so my guess is that shepherd had them retreat because there was a lot of people running to the beam already. 3.illusive man was being controlled by the citadel and because he believed he was controlling the reapers he was aloud to be at the citadel. 4. the catalyst that lived in the citadel had no form so when shepherd got there the catalyst saw in his mind that the image of the boy that died in the attack was heavy on shepherd 's mind and it used that as a image that shepherd would understand. and regarding the choices that is made the only impact they seem to have is what changes on the items you find for attack strength of the army. i loved the ending to me it made sense.elbert_b_23

1. Except that not only does it show the wave doing no damage at all to any other ship, but it also makes no sense since Joker should have had no idea anything like that would happen. Did he predict the future and start flying long before the relay blew up, and if so why didn't he just use the non-destroyed relay? Also what's up with him looking behind himself, the normandy doesn't have a rear view window.

2. That's stupid as hell because they were in the tank moving to the beam with me. Why would shep suddenly go "j/k I don't need you get back on the ship."

3. I didn't mind TIM's appearance too much, I just figured the reapers beamed him aboard because he could stop people from activating the arms.

4. That's the same s***ty ending as contact and it's completely out of character for shep to care about the kid at all in the first place. So I've killed countless soldiers and citizens, but this random ass kid is burned into my nightmares and becomes the only image I can comprehend from a super advanced AI? Why doesn't he just take the amorphous form of an incomprehensible being? Why does he tell me how to break his toys if he thinks his reasoning is valid? Why does he kill people with synthetics to stop synthetics from killing people? Why can't I just convince him to send them back himself?

Why would I think of Liara and not Tali as I'm dying? Why would the signal be a huge messed up blob of blue light? Why did the relays have to blow up to control the reapers?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 designer-

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]1.Joker and the Normandy running away from the fight? if you were being chased by a unknown glowing rainbowlights wouldn't you run away from it? don't forget the second game joker said that he wasn't going to lose another Normandy and he didn't want to be hit by the rainbow lights. 2. as for the crew members they never showed them running to the citadel so my guess is that shepherd had them retreat because there was a lot of people running to the beam already. 3.illusive man was being controlled by the citadel and because he believed he was controlling the reapers he was aloud to be at the citadel. 4. the catalyst that lived in the citadel had no form so when shepherd got there the catalyst saw in his mind that the image of the boy that died in the attack was heavy on shepherd 's mind and it used that as a image that shepherd would understand. and regarding the choices that is made the only impact they seem to have is what changes on the items you find for attack strength of the army. i loved the ending to me it made sense.Vaasman

1. Except that not only does it show the wave doing no damage at all to any other ship, but it also makes no sense since Joker should have had no idea anything like that would happen. Did he predict the future and start flying long before the relay blew up, and if so why didn't he just use the non-destroyed relay? Also what's up with him looking behind himself, the normandy doesn't have a rear view window.

2. That's stupid as hell because they were in the tank moving to the beam with me. Why would shep suddenly go "j/k I don't need you get back on the ship."

3. I didn't mind TIM's appearance too much, I just figured the reapers beamed him aboard because he could stop people from activating the arms.

4. That's the same s***ty ending as contact and it's completely out of character for shep to care about the kid at all in the first place. So I've killed countless soldiers and citizens, but this random ass kid is burned into my nightmares and becomes the only image I can comprehend from a super advanced AI? Why doesn't he just take the amorphous form of an incomprehensible being? Why does he tell me how to break his toys if he thinks his reasoning is valid? Why does he kill people with synthetics to stop synthetics from killing people? Why can't I just convince him to send them back himself?

Why would I think of Liara and not Tali as I'm dying? Why would the signal be a huge messed up blob of blue light? Why did the relays have to blow up to control the reapers?

It just screams of bad writing or at the very least under developed writing. I remember that there was some issue with the script getting out and supposedly they changed it as a by product. I do not know at what stage in production this occurred, but I still don't think it should be that much of an issue. Hell they could have added some white subtitles to a black background discussing what happened after and even that, super cost effective, would have helped...
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

I also like how the cutscenes for the ending are the same.

But I could honestly write a full length dissertation on of all the things wrong with the ending. It's atrocious. I really don't know how Bioware could write such a compelling story, and then just completely drop the ball in the last 10 minutes.

Vaasman

Bioware has been screwing up a lot lately. First Dragon Age 2, then TOR with Revan being a normal flashpoint boss, and now this ending to what could have been one of the great sci-fi IP's. The last 20 minutes of the game just ruined the entire franchise.

Wopps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wopps
Member since 2003 • 2373 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

shakmaster13

Bioware has been screwing up a lot lately. First Dragon Age 2, then TOR with Revan being a normal flashpoint boss, and now this ending to what could have been one of the great sci-fi IP's. The last 20 minutes of the game just ruined the entire franchise.

Exactly my sentiments. WTB a free DLC with some more endings...please. Also, for a good laugh go check out the ME3 forums over at BioWares site. There is literally a poll with the choices: 1. Ending is terrible 2. Ending is ok, but make normandy crash on earth or near Shepard 3. Fine as it is. In the order I wrote them the votes go something like 11500, 1200, 300. No joke, also online petitions have been set up and various gaming sites are creating articles about the fan uproar over this mess.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shakmaster13

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Wopps

Exactly my sentiments. WTB a free DLC with some more endings...please. Also, for a good laugh go check out the ME3 forums over at BioWares site. There is literally a poll with the choices: 1. Ending is terrible 2. Ending is ok, but make normandy crash on earth or near Shepard 3. Fine as it is. In the order I wrote them the votes go something like 11500, 1200, 300. No joke, also online petitions have been set up and various gaming sites are creating articles about the fan uproar over this mess.

It's as if they let fanfic writers on the same level as Stephanie Meyer write the plot for their last few games. What is this I don't even....
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I've created in my mind the perfect ending that I see as the pure paragon and lore-fitting ending to ME3, and i choose to believe that in my mind for now, and wish that the current game's endings would be the lesser endings you could get if you didnt do things properly through the series.

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 killzonexbox
Member since 2010 • 3019 Posts

mass effect 3 endings " HMMMM THIS SEEMS AWFULLY FAMILIAR TO ME.. WTTFFF BIOWARE

Wopps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wopps
Member since 2003 • 2373 Posts

mass effect 3 endings " HMMMM THIS SEEMS AWFULLY FAMILIAR TO ME.. WTTFFF BIOWARE

killzonexbox

To go a bit further with this post..from another thread from 2 days ago.

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

Hated the ending. How the **** was I supposed to know that not playing multiplayer affects the single player ending? That's the crappiest decision ever taken by a game developer. I ALWAYS play the single player storyline before touching MP, and I'm sure there're quite a large number of people like me still gaming in this world... Anyway, small question, people. In my case, the game just cut to credits just as the Normandy's door was about to open after it crash landed. Is this normal, or is the crew supposed to come out or something?

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 elbert_b_23

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]1.Joker and the Normandy running away from the fight? if you were being chased by a unknown glowing rainbowlights wouldn't you run away from it? don't forget the second game joker said that he wasn't going to lose another Normandy and he didn't want to be hit by the rainbow lights. 2. as for the crew members they never showed them running to the citadel so my guess is that shepherd had them retreat because there was a lot of people running to the beam already. 3.illusive man was being controlled by the citadel and because he believed he was controlling the reapers he was aloud to be at the citadel. 4. the catalyst that lived in the citadel had no form so when shepherd got there the catalyst saw in his mind that the image of the boy that died in the attack was heavy on shepherd 's mind and it used that as a image that shepherd would understand. and regarding the choices that is made the only impact they seem to have is what changes on the items you find for attack strength of the army. i loved the ending to me it made sense.Vaasman

we knew that the reapers had a master and that the citadel was a big part of them but there was no way to know that the citadel was hosing the master ai unit and the reason why he told shepherd the choices was he had no weapons to stop shepherd and if the reapers would attack him it would destroy everything, and even the ai said that because shepherd made it this far that the reapers have outlived there usefulness and that he would need to find a new way in the next cycle to complete it and as in designer- said last year the first story got leaked i don't remember if it was a hacker, pissed off worker, or a accident but bioware said that they had to make a new story that way people wont be expecting everything that happens and they only had a few months to make it now i have no idea how much they kept or changed
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19591 Posts

I think what pisses me off the most is that this entire franchise is built around your choices and the consequences of those choices, and the big finale tosses those out the window and boils down to "Which color of mystical space magic do you want to f*** over the galaxy with"

Phoenix534

I think it's a tad worse than that, since the first two games had plenty of choices but essentially no consequences whatsoever. For the third game to basically just boil those choices down to numbers...well, I can't say that I'm surprised.

Anyway, question is, does the bad ending put the entire trilogy in disrepute? I mean, it's the big finale act to the big finale act of the trilogy, so to speak...so does the pointlessness of it all retroactively kill the story for the earlier games?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="elbert_b_23"]1.Joker and the Normandy running away from the fight? if you were being chased by a unknown glowing rainbowlights wouldn't you run away from it? don't forget the second game joker said that he wasn't going to lose another Normandy and he didn't want to be hit by the rainbow lights. 2. as for the crew members they never showed them running to the citadel so my guess is that shepherd had them retreat because there was a lot of people running to the beam already. 3.illusive man was being controlled by the citadel and because he believed he was controlling the reapers he was aloud to be at the citadel. 4. the catalyst that lived in the citadel had no form so when shepherd got there the catalyst saw in his mind that the image of the boy that died in the attack was heavy on shepherd 's mind and it used that as a image that shepherd would understand. and regarding the choices that is made the only impact they seem to have is what changes on the items you find for attack strength of the army. i loved the ending to me it made sense.elbert_b_23

we knew that the reapers had a master and that the citadel was a big part of them but there was no way to know that the citadel was hosing the master ai unit and the reason why he told shepherd the choices was he had no weapons to stop shepherd and if the reapers would attack him it would destroy everything, and even the ai said that because shepherd made it this far that the reapers have outlived there usefulness and that he would need to find a new way in the next cycle to complete it and as in designer- said last year the first story got leaked i don't remember if it was a hacker, pissed off worker, or a accident but bioware said that they had to make a new story that way people wont be expecting everything that happens and they only had a few months to make it now i have no idea how much they kept or changed

They didn't change the ending from the leaks. The 3 endings were known since the leak and came out the same, give or take a few small conversations like a longer scene with Anderson that was cut. So this has been in the script for a while. It's terrible.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 elbert_b_23
@Vaasman you may not like it but i did i thought it ended and wrapped up well
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#27 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Wopps

Is it seriously that bad? And I thought the backlash towards GoW3's ending was big, this is like 10x worse :lol: (but then again GoW3's ending wasn't actually bad).

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vaasman

@Vaasman you may not like it but i did i thought it ended and wrapped up wellelbert_b_23
No, it really, really didn't. There's no way you could think this was a good ending.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

I think what pisses me off the most is that this entire franchise is built around your choices and the consequences of those choices, and the big finale tosses those out the window and boils down to "Which color of mystical space magic do you want to f*** over the galaxy with"

Planeforger

I think it's a tad worse than that, since the first two games had plenty of choices but essentially no consequences whatsoever. For the third game to basically just boil those choices down to numbers...well, I can't say that I'm surprised.

Anyway, question is, does the bad ending put the entire trilogy in disrepute? I mean, it's the big finale act to the big finale act of the trilogy, so to speak...so does the pointlessness of it all retroactively kill the story for the earlier games?

Well it's pretty much just the last 10 minutes that ruin everything, the last couple hours or so are awesome otherwise. But yes the last 10 minutes basically ruin everything in the universe up to that point and invalidate all of your choices.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
the ending was awful because not only were they all pretty much the same but the entire galaxy and your squadmates especially are completely screwed. not only that but if they make another mass effect game it will have to be a prequel. either that or be a completely different type of game. that and the endings were full of plot holes that make no sense
tysonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 tysonius
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

First, I too would love to see a DLC pack with other endings. Hell, I'd even pay for it at this point. I don't have a beef with Shep dying, or even the fleet, the Normandy, etc., but aside from the fact that I see little difference between the three endings (different colored lights), we don't see at all what the outcome is for the rest of the galaxy. The Reapers died on earth, and I presume the mass relays transmitted the signal around the galaxy to finish the rest--but would it have caught every one?

Questions on plot holes/inconsistencies:

1) machine intelligence on citadel - why did it allow Protheans to alter Keepers so they wouldn't respond to Reaper signal? If it's right there, it should have been able to prevent that, or better yet replace them with synthetics that would never mutate (e.g., geth).

2) what's the difference between cyclical extermination of organic sentients by synthetic intelligence, and synthetic intelligence killing off organic sentience forever? Are those really the only two choices possible? Shep's actions with the Geth, and EDI's behavior imply other solutions possible. Not too impressed with the reasoning ability of this AI.

3)One organic makes it to the top of the Citadel, and the AI decides it's plan won't work anymore? Really, why not? Why not return every 40K years if 50K is too long? For that matter, who says technical sophistication is the mark of an advanced civilization? What about the accomplishments of the Greeks, or other ancient civilizations? Again, weak reasoning by the AI.

4) In ME1, Vigil (Prothean AI) explained that Reapers always travelled through Citadel when they returned. Apparantly, Bactarian Mass Relay in "Arrival" was a back up. Why wouldn't they have more backups? And if the Citadel allowed them to control all Mass Relays, why bother with attacking other parts of the galaxy first? Why not just hit the Citadel in force, shut down all relays, then wipe out all sentients system by system (which I thought was what they'd done to the Protheans)?

Two general complaints:

a) I could be wrong, but online articles imply that the endings possible depending somewhat randomly on your Galactic Readiness level? WTF? Wouldn't it make more sense that a higher score allows more options, including "better" endings? Seems to completely invalidate the concept that your decisions matter, that in the end everything is pure luck, that moral/ethical choices are of no importance.

b) It would have been nice to have a "Disney" ending, w/Shep and his/her loved one going off into the sunset, having lots of babies, and etc. One could say that's not "realistic" (certainly not probable, I'll give you that), but is it any more unrealistic than the way the game actually ends?

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

I like how in the ending cutscene, the little kid tells you that Shepard is the first organic ever to see the Catalyst chamber. And then, less than 5 minutes later, there's an image of Illusive Man at the control station in the very same chamber. That, combined with the general lackluster choices for the ending, makes them all seem like a hackjob.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mems_1224

I like how in the ending cutscene, the little kid tells you that Shepard is the first organic ever to see the Catalyst chamber. And then, less than 5 minutes later, there's an image of Illusive Man at the control station in the very same chamber. That, combined with the general lackluster choices for the ending, makes them all seem like a hackjob.

Kickinurass
i dont think the illusive man was actually up there because the other image shows anderson too. i think its just meant to show what each of those guys would have done
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kickinurass

we knew that the reapers had a master and that the citadel was a big part of them but there was no way to know that the citadel was hosing the master ai unit elbert_b_23

What evidence did we have of reapers having a master? For all three games, it seemed that the Reapers were acting independently.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kickinurass

[QUOTE="Kickinurass"]

mems_1224

i dont think the illusive man was actually up there because the other image shows anderson too. i think its just meant to show what each of those guys would have done

Ah, I didn't see Anderson. He must have been the synethesis choice. I kinda barrelled through the end game because I wanted to beat it before going on vacation.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

It sounds like you fans want an ending with 100 different variables, which imo would be impossible to do given the system Mass Effect's system of choosing dialogue and actions. I'm not a huge fan, but the endings I saw on youtube seemed good enough. I've always liked the story of Mass Effect but never got into the gameplay so I usually just followed players on youtube and my friend who also bought and played the series.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vaasman

It sounds like you fans want an ending with 100 different variables, which imo would be impossible to do given the system Mass Effect's system of choosing dialogue and actions. I'm not a huge fan, but the endings I saw on youtube seemed good enough. I've always liked the story of Mass Effect but never got into the gameplay so I usually just followed players on youtube and my friend who also bought and played the series.

hayato_

What I wanted was for the game to properly sum up the 100 hours or so I put into the story with my legacy shep. Not to pull a Deus Ex Machina AI out of it's ass and invalidate everything I had accomplished, and then just end without saying anything about the galaxy I left behind.

Could have had one locked ending for all I care, as long as it didn't suck so much.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mems_1224

[QUOTE="hayato_"]

Vaasman

What I wanted was for the game to properly sum up the 100 hours or so I put into the story with my legacy shep. Not to pull a Deus Ex Machina AI out of it's ass and invalidate everything I had accomplished, and then just end without saying anything about the galaxy I left behind.

Could have had one locked ending for all I care, as long as it didn't suck so much.

yup, we spend the entire game finally wrapping up everything in the series and at the end bioware just gives its fans a big middle finger with an ending that makes absolutely no sense and leaves the galaxy you were trying to save ruined forever.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

I don't see how the galaxy is ruined. You stop the reapers from gibbing everyone.

So big deal, they no longer have tv and video games and mass effect travel...they'll still live.

designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 designer-

I don't see how the galaxy is ruined. You stop the reapers from gibbing everyone.

So big deal, they no longer have tv and video games and mass effect travel...they'll still live.

Jankarcop
We dont even know that much... All we know is that the Normandy is on some Jungle planet. Thats it, thats our full understanding of the repercussions of all our actions..
designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 designer-

[QUOTE="hayato_"]

Vaasman

This, so many times this..
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#42 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
[spoiler] Illusive Man was inside the Citidel because he was controlled by the Catalyst, remember that the Illusive man notified the Reapers of the Citadel. [/spoiler]
designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 designer-

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Planeforger

It definitely hinders my desire to play through the game again. ME2's ending had all the appropriate epicness that I wanted to play through the game again, which I did. ME3's ending just sort of makes me feel like nothing that happens really matters. Choosing the Salarians over the Krogan doesnt matter, Saving the queen doesnt matter, who cares that you sided with the geth....
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mems_1224
[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

designer-
We dont even know that much... All we know is that the Normandy is on some Jungle planet. Thats it, thats our full understanding of the repercussions of all our actions..

also i think we can assume that that jungle planet is the planet from the scene after the credits
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
One thing that pisses me off is that if you romance a character, it's all for nothing. You see nothing at the end, you don't see them together happy (the way EDI and Joker will be if you helped them along that path). I feel as if this is the end and the beginning of a trilogy at the same time. Like we will see Shepard again in the next Mass Effect.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
One thing that pisses me off is that if you romance a character, it's all for nothing. You see nothing at the end, you don't see them together happy (the way EDI and Joker will be if you helped them along that path). I feel as if this is the end and the beginning of a trilogy at the same time. Like we will see Shepard again in the next Mass Effect.EliteM0nk3y
Agreed, that is the worst part. The ends aren't tied up, you don't see what happens to the Krogans, Turians, Salarians, or even the Asari. I wish they would have done something like a narrative at the end such as in Fallout New Vegas which would tie up loose ends; especially with respect to the squad mates. How did my squadmates who I was just talked to on Earth somehow manage to get on the Normandy and escape only to crash on some random planet? Doesn't make sense.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shakmaster13
[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]One thing that pisses me off is that if you romance a character, it's all for nothing. You see nothing at the end, you don't see them together happy (the way EDI and Joker will be if you helped them along that path). I feel as if this is the end and the beginning of a trilogy at the same time. Like we will see Shepard again in the next Mass Effect.Stevo_the_gamer
Agreed, that is the worst part. The ends aren't tied up, you don't see what happens to the Krogans, Turians, Salarians, or even the Asari. I wish they would have done something like a narrative at the end such as in Fallout New Vegas which would tie up loose ends; especially with respect to the squad mates. How did my squadmates who I was just talked to on Earth somehow manage to get on the Normandy and escape only to crash on some random planet? Doesn't make sense.

But that would be assuming that Bioware's best writers haven't jumped ship or aren't working on TOR leaving their other franchises to rot. Never thought I would see the day where my actions in a Mass Effect game had less consequence than actions in an Elder Scrolls game especially when you take into consideration that the plot is one of the major selling points of the Mass Effect series.
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]One thing that pisses me off is that if you romance a character, it's all for nothing. You see nothing at the end, you don't see them together happy (the way EDI and Joker will be if you helped them along that path). I feel as if this is the end and the beginning of a trilogy at the same time. Like we will see Shepard again in the next Mass Effect.shakmaster13

But that would be assuming that Bioware's best writers haven't jumped ship or aren't working on TOR leaving their other franchises to rot. Never thought I would see the day where my actions in a Mass Effect game had less consequence than actions in an Elder Scrolls game especially when you take into consideration that the plot is one of the major selling points of the Mass Effect series.

While I never expected a huge difference between the endings, I definitely thought there would be more than what's in ME3. Even just having recaps of what happened to major characters/races would be nice. Or even the galaxy as a whole, since in almost every ending, the Citadel and Mass Relays get destroyed.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="shakmaster13"] But that would be assuming that Bioware's best writers haven't jumped ship or aren't working on TOR leaving their other franchises to rot. Never thought I would see the day where my actions in a Mass Effect game had less consequence than actions in an Elder Scrolls game especially when you take into consideration that the plot is one of the major selling points of the Mass Effect series.

I thought the writing was above-par all throughout--I couldn't stop playing yesterday, few games have had the pull that Mass Effect 3. I played it for 11 hours. 11. F*cking. Hours. Christ, with only a few breaks for food, piss, and shower. After having that Prothean VI taken from me made me rage. How has a game gotten me this invested? But all that greatness only to ends like that... it was just so underwhelming.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mems_1224
[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]One thing that pisses me off is that if you romance a character, it's all for nothing. You see nothing at the end, you don't see them together happy (the way EDI and Joker will be if you helped them along that path). I feel as if this is the end and the beginning of a trilogy at the same time. Like we will see Shepard again in the next Mass Effect.Stevo_the_gamer

well they're screwed. wrex was on earth so if he survived hes stranded there along with the rest of the fleet. so all the galaxy's leaders are at earth so their home planets are without their leaders to help rebuild and ashley was on the ground with me when harbinger attacked us. how was she magically on the normandy in one piece? that made no sense. and where was the normandy going that it magically was able to land on a planet that could sustain life?