NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1003 Posts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techradar.com/amp/news/amds-radeon-vii-graphics-card-dismissed-as-underwhelming-by-nvidia

Nvidia CEO has said the performance is lousy and brings nothing new, is he right? This might be the first time in a long time that I agree with Nvidia but he is right. It is a glorified GTX 1080 ti but 2 years late. It's priced too high and AMD should no better. For $700 like the 2080 but has no RT or Tensor cores. Its manufactured on a state of the art 7nm process but still absolutely power hungry and it seems AMD still can't figure out how to get past the 64CU wall with GCN. Even though Nvidia is a greedy company with overpriced products, I expect when they move to 7nm geforce the results will be very impressive.

Thoughts?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

That's gonna be one awkward family reunion.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Eh, just more trash talking. People who watched the industry for a long time know that there is real bad blood between NVIDIA vs ATI/AMD. Marvel vs DC, this is not. Just look at the history of the things they tried to do to shut each other out.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1003 Posts

@madrocketeer: that's weird that there us such bad blood even though the CEO's are related.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts
@nfamouslegend said:

@madrocketeer: that's weird that there us such bad blood even though the CEO's are related.

Sometimes family can be worst.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I really hope there are lawyers and investigators looking into this family. The shit don't seem right...

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Well the VII looks like an awesome card, but not for the price. Even still, I can't imagine 16GB of HBM not making the price insane.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Didn't expect him to view it positively but he is technically right in that it doesn't bring anything new.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#9 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
@nfamouslegend said:

Well, apparently Lisa Su denies it. Either way, the real rivalry is at the engineers level. And since ATI was said to be an engineers' company...

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
@organic_machine said:

Well the VII looks like an awesome card, but not for the price. Even still, I can't imagine 16GB of HBM not making the price insane.

pretty much. It looks like a great GPU ( RTX 2080 performance ) but imo considering AMD products in the mid range are known for their value this GPU needed to be about 100 less. hopefully they will release an 8 or 12 gb version for around 500

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Would have been great at 600$. Not at 700$.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

People is less concern with tech so long as it does what it need. Like phones. Phone sales is way down. Apple is dumb to think iPhone sales to increase if prior model they sell for $1000. No way is general consumer see the needs to upgrade to same content for $1200!

Same is going for computers.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

it doesn't look that interesting for gaming. by the looks of it its just a vega 60 with a high clock on a 7nm process. its not terrible or anything just...bleh. its probably a compute beast though...an absolute monster in that department.

i think this is just biding time for navi to be honest but i wouldnt expect to see that until after either the PS5 or X2 release (all sorts of rumours around that).

they need to improve their efficiency. they need to take a vega 64 and, without a die shrink, an increase in clock, an increase in power usage or an increase in stream processors, find 30% more performance (or as much as they can) in the most demanding games today. whatever nvidia did with maxwell...its bloody effective.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

Being 7nm card he ain't wrong

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@nfamouslegend said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techradar.com/amp/news/amds-radeon-vii-graphics-card-dismissed-as-underwhelming-by-nvidia

Nvidia CEO has said the performance is lousy and brings nothing new, is he right? This might be the first time in a long time that I agree with Nvidia but he is right. It is a glorified GTX 1080 ti but 2 years late. It's priced too high and AMD should no better. For $700 like the 2080 but has no RT or Tensor cores. Its manufactured on a state of the art 7nm process but still absolutely power hungry and it seems AMD still can't figure out how to get past the 64CU wall with GCN. Even though Nvidia is a greedy company with overpriced products, I expect when they move to 7nm geforce the results will be very impressive.

Thoughts?

Going pass 64 CU wouldn't solve the problem since Hawaii era quad rasterization setup is a bottleneck. AMD can easily add more CUs.

This Hawaii GPU's four Shader Engine layout was used from Hawaii 44 to Vega 64 and AMD added 20 CUs without increasing horizontal rasterization power i.e. more rasterizer units.

Vega 56 at 1710 Mhz with 12 TFLOPS beats Vega 64 with 1590Mhz at 13 TFLOPS. Hint: Vega 56 at higher clock speed has higher rasterization power.

Vega 64's quad rasterizer units with 64 ROPS design is like GP104 (quad GPC with 64 ROPS) class Pascal design which bottlenecks extra TFLOPS.

VII has proper support for 64bit floating point which is extra hardware over Vega 64.

Vega 64's high bandwidth cache is useless for gaming.

VII's proper support for 64bit floating point is useless for gaming.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

@osan0 said:

they need to improve their efficiency. they need to take a vega 64 and, without a die shrink, an increase in clock, an increase in power usage or an increase in stream processors, find 30% more performance (or as much as they can) in the most demanding games today. whatever nvidia did with maxwell...its bloody effective.

I'm just not confident in their 5th gen GCN architecture. I think if they weren't using HBM, their power draw and heat would be completely unsuitable for any use.

They keep using these mammoth dies and praying that the node shrink will be enough to make it a usable card.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts
@nfamouslegend said:

Wasn't this unconfirmed though?

On topic: Jensen may just be salty as Lisa wore that leather jacket attire better than Jensen did.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ronvalencia

@nfamouslegend said:

Thoughts?

RTX 2080's chip area size is 545 mm2 at 12 nm process

VII's chip area size is 331 mm2 at 7 nm process

@organic_machine said:
@osan0 said:

I'm just not confident in their 5th gen GCN architecture. I think if they weren't using HBM, their power draw and heat would be completely unsuitable for any use.

They keep using these mammoth dies and praying that the node shrink will be enough to make it a usable card.

NVIDIA has the larger dies.

For example

RTX 2080 Ti's chip size is 754 mm2 at 12 nm process

RTX 2080's chip area size is 545 mm2 at 12 nm process. Garbage support for FP64.

VII's chip area size is 331 mm2 at 7 nm process. Half rate FP64 i.e. 6.9 TFLOPS.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

nvidia owned amd again

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ronvalencia

@ProtossRushX said:

nvidia owned amd again

Actually, AMD wins with superior "die per wafer" with the smaller 331 mm2 GPU.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#21 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

But I was told AMD was going to save us all from NVIDIA!

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

@nfamouslegend said:

Thoughts?

he also talked trash about intels upcoming graphics cards at the end. Sounds like hes shtting his pants

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58382 Posts

If it was 500 dollars or less, it wouldn't be underwhelming at all. But for 700 dollars? Nah.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ronvalencia

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@nfamouslegend said:

Thoughts?

he also talked trash about intels upcoming graphics cards at the end. Sounds like hes shtting his pants

Intel's gfx gen 11 is a tile based render similar to Maxwell/Pascal/Turing ( immediate mode tile cache render) or PowerVR (deferred mode tile render). Intel sells more 2-in-1 tablets when compared to Nintendo's Switch or NVIDIA Tegra X1.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2145 Posts

He's not wrong, just sounds butthurt.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Radeon VII is not what (or many other people) I expected, but Jensen Huang should not talk such trash. It's still 2080 performance for 100$ less. Sure, there's no raytracing or DLSS, but those are gimmicks for now that are used in like two games. So TBH the Radeon VII is a good competitor in the med/high-end segment because as of now raytracing and DLSS aren't ready for prime time & for all games.

I don’t like Nvidia and their shady business practices, but with that Radeon VII ridiculous price tag is even less appealing and I'll still use Nvidia GPU only because they have what I really need and I ain't got nowhere to look but Nvidia so can you blame me? Sink or Swim, pick one.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ronvalencia

@davillain- said:

Radeon VII is not what I (or many other people) I expected, but Jensen Huang should not talk such trash. It's still 2080 performance for 100$ less. Sure, there's no raytracing or DLSS, but those are gimmicks for now that are used in like two games. So TBH the Radeon VII is a good competitor in the med/high-end segment because as of now raytracing and DLSS aren't ready for prime time & for all games.

I don’t like Nvidia and their shady business practices, but with that Radeon VII ridiculous price tag is even less appealing and I'll still use Nvidia GPU only because they have what I really need and I ain't got nowhere to look but Nvidia so can you blame me? Sink or Swim, pick one.

DLSS is just sample based pixel reconstruction (more "compressed pixels" from PC NVIDIA master race) method while VII has 128 ROPS and 1TB/s for improved MSAA processing. In the future, AMD's sponsored games could be bias towards maxed MSAA at 4K.

VII is still a reasonable GPU since it has RTX 2080 level performance.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ronvalencia

@Juub1990 said:

@ronvalencia: Dude shut up. Nobody is responding to you.

Loading Video...

Vega 56 Mod at 1710 Mhz already shown the way for VII.

You fukoff

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

This entire generation of graphic cards has been very underwhelming and ridiculous priced...

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Juub1990

@ronvalencia: Nobody cares. Shut up.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator

@Juub1990: I stop paying attention to Ronbot after his false on Xbox One X specs.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69744 Posts

I remember the nonsensical bloated posts with Ron arguing with me that the Xbox One X would have Zen CPUs and not Jaguar. Those were the days.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Zero market for this.

Should have released it for 399 and maybe people cared. for 700 just buy nvidia no need to bother with the shit tier driver support of AMD.

Nvidia aint wrong, they didn't even try.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#35 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69744 Posts

@Gatygun said:

Zero market for this.

Should have released it for 399 and maybe people cared. for 700 just buy nvidia no need to bother with the shit tier driver support of AMD.

So much wrong in your post.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts
@Gatygun said:

Zero market for this.

They'd lose so much money at 399. 600 would have been a better sweet spot. They'd corner the mid-grade GPU market if they lowered the price just a tad bit.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

OMG Nvidia claims AMD sucks now i know is true.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

@organic_machine: i think vega was certainly a missfire from a gaming performance point of view (it is a compute beast and its telling that the biggest leap from vega to vega2 is in compute according to AMDs graphs). there are all sorts of stories around its development...though they are only rumours. apparently it wasnt smooth.

did they get the tile based rendering to work in the end? i heard that was also borked at launch.

but yeah they are heavily relying on die shrinks to just eek out any performance they can. it's not sustainable.

hopefully navi is back to the drawing board a bit. they must know why they are losing so much performance and it's just a case of the fix being expensive and difficult to implement.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Gatygun said:

Zero market for this.

They'd lose so much money at 399. 600 would have been a better sweet spot. They'd corner the mid-grade GPU market if they lowered the price just a tad bit.

Due to 16GB, it's price $700 because of it. $600 would have indeed be a much better spot but $700 for an AMD GPU is really pushing it and I can get a better cheaper GPU then that. AMD sure wasn't even trying but I do understand this is just for content creation GPU due to 16GB. At least AMD is doing a much better job with the CPU though.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Juub1990

@davillain-: Lol with Xbox One X with the power to rival a 1080 Ti.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

How long has it been since AMD did anything amazing? lulz.

they're just always playing catch up, why Nvidia can release bullshit like RTX and nap.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11619 Posts

@dxmcat: Ryzen has been pretty amazing.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

He's just shit scared as AMD's new cards are going to trash RTX......... Nvidia wasted their transistor budget on RT circuitry for 1 game which is why a 2080ti performance jump isn't as big as it should of been.

AMD are building a monster and using GPUCompute for their RT which is what DirectXR uses so they can spend more transistors on beefing up every aspect of the GPU which will deliver massive boosts in every game.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ronvalencia

@davillain- said:

@Juub1990: I stop paying attention to Ronbot after his false on Xbox One X specs.

1. I was correct on X1X GPU's near Vega ROPS stupid bot. Tonga IP and Polaris IP has horizontal FP16 instructions not Vega IP's vertical FP16 instructions. Furthermore, XBO GPU has additional support for FP10 formats.

2. You can't read my IF statements.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@davillain- said:

Radeon VII is not what (or many other people) I expected, but Jensen Huang should not talk such trash. It's still 2080 performance for 100$ less. Sure, there's no raytracing or DLSS, but those are gimmicks for now that are used in like two games. So TBH the Radeon VII is a good competitor in the med/high-end segment because as of now raytracing and DLSS aren't ready for prime time & for all games.

2 games that I want. Yes! ;)

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ronvalencia

@Juub1990 said:

@davillain-: Lol with Xbox One X with the power to rival a 1080 Ti.

You can't read my IF statement stupid bot and that's just subsystem comparison with an IF statement NOT game comparison when I create GTX 980 Ti vs PS4 Pro's Mantis Burn Racing with RPM topic.

Furthermore, Pascal has problems with mixing integer and floating point.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ronvalencia

@davillain- said:

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/nvidia-turing-architecture-in-depth/

Turing Tensor Cores add new INT8 and INT4 precision modes for inferencing workloads that can tolerate quantization and don’t require FP16 precision. Turing Tensor Cores bring new deep learning- based AI capabilities to GeForce gaming PCs and Quadro-based workstations for the first time. A new technique called Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) is powered by Tensor Cores. DLSS leverages a deep neural network to extract multidimensional features of the rendered scene and intelligently combine details from multiple frames to construct a high-quality final image

VII has added support for INT8 and INT4 for inferencing workloads within it's CU. VII has higher memory bandwidth and 128 ROPS(Anandtech claim) for heavy MSAA at 4K which reduce the need for DLSS based pixel reconstruction AA

Vega 64 has support for INT8 for inferencing workloads within it's CU.

----------

RT Cores accelerate Bounding Volume Hierarchy (BVH) traversal and ray/triangle intersection testing (ray casting) functions.

https://32ipi028l5q82yhj72224m8j-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/169798-A_AMD_RadeonRays_Intro_FNL.pdf

Acceleration strategies The default acceleration structure is Bounding Volume Hierarchy (BVH) using spatial median splits. It maintains fast build times and provides decent intersection performance. You can enable SAH builder using the global option and trade off construction time for better intersection performance

AMD is aware of BVH issue.

https://worldoffries.wordpress.com/tag/deferred-shading/

BVH code on R9-280X era.

https://wccftech.com/titan-v-high-fps-battlefield-v-rtx/

Enabling RT function RTX coreless on Titan V. Artificial software block on older GPUs.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ronvalencia

@davillain- said:

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/nvidia-turing-architecture-in-depth/

Turing introduces a new processor architecture, the Turing SM, that delivers a dramatic boost in shading efficiency, achieving 50% improvement in delivered performance per CUDA Core compared to the Pascal generation. These improvements are enabled by two key architectural changes. First, the Turing SM adds a new independent integer datapath that can execute instructions concurrently with the floating-point math datapath. In previous generations, executing these instructions would have blocked floating-point instructions from issuing

Pascal architecture landmine with integer instructions blocking floating point instruction issuing. This Pascal landmine doesn't occur on Vega.

There's are reasons for Nvdia's Gameworks existence to minimize landmines like this. Deep learning integer workloads would be landmines on gaming Pascal GPUs.

Try again clown.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaVillain  Moderator

@ronvalencia: