FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-november-2018-all-three-consoles-over-1-3m-for-the-month.87953/

Thanks to the NPD Group for the breakdown.

Here are the numbers for November 2018:

• Total: $2,693 million (up 0% percent from $2,706 million in November 2017)
  • Hardware: $1,182 million (up 3% from $1,147 million)
  • PC and console software: $1,008 million (down 15% compared to $1,188 million)
  • Accessories: $503 million (up 35% from $371 million)

November 2018 tracked spending across video game Hardware, Software, Accessories and Game Cards totaled $2.7 billion, flat when compared to a year ago. Gains in Hardware, Accessories and Game Card spending were offset by a decline in Software due to the shift of the launch of Call of Duty into the October month.

Year-to-date spending across video game Hardware, Software, Accessories and Game Cards has grown 16 percent when compared to the same period a year ago, to $13.2 billion. This is the highest year-to-date total spend achieved since the $13.9 billion achieved between January and November 2010.

SOFTWARE

Best Year for Software since 2011: Dollar sales of Console, Portable and PC Games Software totaled $1 billion in November 2018, declining 15 percent when compared to a year ago. The shift in launch timing for Call of Duty from November to October is the driver of the change. Year-to-date dollar sales of Console, Portable and PC Games Software exceeded $5.8 billion, a 9 percent increase over the same time period last year. This is the highest year-to-date total for Software spending since the $7 billion achieved in the year-to-date 2011 comparable period.

RDR2 is the best selling game of the month: Red Dead Redemption 2 is the best-selling game of November 2018 and is the 2nd best-selling game year-to-date. With two months in market, sales of Red Dead Redemption 2 now exceed the lifetime sales of the previous title in the franchise, Red Dead Redemption, by nearly 40 percent.

Black Ops 4 is the best selling game this year: Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII is the second best-selling game of November, and remains the best-selling game year to date. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII is the second fastest selling game on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in history, trailing only 2017's Call of Duty: WWII. This is the fifth consecutive year, and ninth time in the last 10 years, that a title from the Call of Duty franchise has been the best-selling game over the January through November time period

Fallout 76 falls short of 4 and New Vegas: Fallout 76 is the 4th best-selling game of November, despite digital not being reported for Bethesda Softworks published titles. Fallout 76 physical sales achieved the third highest launch month sales in franchise history, trailing only Fallout 4 and Fallout New Vegas.

Pokemon has a strong opening; Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu and Pokemon: Let's Go Eevee are the #5 and #6 best-selling games of November, respectively. Launch month sales of Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu are the second highest in franchise history, trailing only Pokeman Stadium, which launched on the Nintendo 64 in the March 2000 tracking period. Please note that Pokemon Let's Go sales totals include only physical sales, as digital sales are not currently reported for Nintendo published titles. According to Nintendo, the titles have sold 2 million units in the US, including digital sales.

Spyro Remastered charts in the Top Ten: Spyro Reignited Trilogy is the #9 best-selling game of November. The launch month dollar sales of Spyro Reignited Trilogy are more than 30 percent higher than the combined launch month sales of all other Spyro games in history (excluding Skylanders).

Black Friday deals help God of War: Sony's God of War returns to the monthly top 20 best-sellers list for the first time since August, ranking as the #16 best-selling game of November. It is currently the #7 best-selling game year-to-date.

HARDWARE & ACCESSORIES

Hardware spend is up YTD: For the 2018 year-to-date period, hardware spending has increased 14 percent, to $3.9 billion. Spending gains for Xbox One, Switch, PlayStation 4 and Plug N Play devices such as the NES Classic Edition and SNES Classic Edition have driven growth.

All current gen consoles sell over 1.3m each: For the first time in history, three Console platforms achieved more than 1 million units sold in a November month, as the Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One each generated over 1.3m units of sales. It is only the second time in history any 3 platforms achieved more than 1 million units sold in a November period, the first occurred in November 2010, when the Nintendo DS, Wii and Xbox 360 achieved the feat.

Hardware for November: PlayStation 4 was the leading hardware platform of November 2018 in unit sales. Nintendo Switch was the leading hardware platform of November 2018 in dollar sales. The PlayStation 4 remains the leader in hardware platform dollar sales year to date.

Accessories and Game Card spending hits an all time high: Total spending on Accessories and Game Cards grew 35 percent in November 2018 when compared to a year ago, to an all-time high of $503 million. Year to date, Accessories and Game Card spending has grown 35 percent when compared to a year ago, to $3.5 billion. This is also an all-time high.

RANKINGS (November 2018)

Physical and Full Game Digital for publishers in the Digital Leader Panel, ranked on dollar sales

1. Red Dead Redemption II
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  3. Battlefield V^
  4. Fallout 76*
  5. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu*
  6. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee*
  7. NBA 2K19
  8. Madden NFL 19^
  9. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  10. FIFA 19^
  11. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  12. Super Mario Party*
  13. Marvel's Spider-Man
  14. Mario Kart 8*
  15. WWE 2K19
  16. God of War 2018
  17. Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
  18. Just Dance 2019
  19. Grand Theft Auto V
  20. Forza Horizon 4

* Digital sales not included

^ PC digital sales not included

PS4

2. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  3. Fallout 76*
  4. Battlefield V
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  7. Madden NFL 19
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man
  9. FIFA 19
  10. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

XB1

2. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  3. Battlefield V
  4. Fallout 76*
  5. Madden NFL 19
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  8. FIFA 19
  9. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  10. Forza Horizon 4

Switch

1. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu
  2. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee
  3. Super Mario Part
  4. Mario Kart 8
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  7. Just Dance 2019
  8. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  9. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Year to Date

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  2. Red Dead Redemption II
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Far Cry 5
  5. Madden NFL 19^
  6. Marvel's Spider-Man
  7. God of War 2018
  8. Monster Hunter: World
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Expected Spiderman to be higher considering it was bundled up during Black Friday and everyone was screaming how it was sold out

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FireEmblem_Man
@MonsieurX said:

Expected Spiderman to be higher considering it was bundled up during Black Friday and everyone was screaming how it was sold out

Same here, but Super Mario Party outsold it is lulzworthy

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Unit sales leaked last week with comparison to last year:

PS4 > Switch > XB1

PS4: 1. 47M (-13%)

Switch: 1.36M (+75%)

Xbox One: 1.34M (-3%)

The reason Switch won in dollar sales was because it didn't have any real sales below MSRP and in fact had several that were above MSRP. Still, a 75% increase YoY is incredible. And everyone doing this well is just fantastic.

Sadly, December is going to have a weak link from what I'm hearing, and many of you will be surprised by what comes in dead last.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FireEmblem_Man
@techhog89 said:

PS4 > Switch > XB1

The reason Switch won in dollar sales was because it didn't have any real sales below MSRP and in fact had several that were above MSRP. Still, a 75% increase YoY is incredible.

Yeah, if Nintendo had a price cut, we would see a huge difference IMO.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Probably had more to do with Ssbu not releasing until Dec. I expect huge December numbers for the switch.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

Great stuff all around. Tacos for everyone! ???

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Man everyone kicked ass and this is great. The only losers are fanboys!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: And digital downloads for Mario Party aren't included

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Techhog89
@fedor said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Probably had more to do with Ssbu not releasing until Dec. I expect huge December numbers for the switch.

Wouldn't it be funny if Switch sold around as much as PS4 and XB1 combined in December?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Good shit

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

@techhog89: I'll save people from the mystery. The PS4 will end up in third place in December NPD. I think a big reason being that there aren't many holiday deals for the console. The could PS4 be maybe 300k below the Xbox.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts
@Nonstop-Madness said:

@techhog89: I'll save people from the mystery. The PS4 will end up in third place in December NPD. I think a big reason being that there aren't many holiday deals for the console. The could PS4 be maybe 300k below the Xbox.

Second place maybe, never 3rd...

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

Lol Sony domination continues to stomp on Xbone dry poo poo.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Techhog89
@Nonstop-Madness said:

Heh.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Techhog89
@Zero_epyon said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

You might want to look up last December's results...

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FireEmblem_Man

@techhog89: Take a look

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Why the **** is FO76 in both top 5’s and even in the top 10 overall.

Fucking gamers are stupid and companies like Bethesda will never learn a lesson if shit like FO76 keeps selling.

Seriously...wtf.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fedor

@techhog89: Honestly I wouldn't be surprised. Switch has been a monster so far. It didnt even beat New Vegas's first month numbers so it basically tanked its debut month anyway.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fedor

@that_old_guy: Because people preordered and couldn't get refunds. It will tank in Dec. It didnt even beat New Vegas' first month numbers so it pretty much tanked its first month anyways.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

What a beast fallout is.... all that negative press and still sold like crazy. For every loud mouth that is hating on it... seems there are many more enjoying the beautiful wv wasteland.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

Really were some amazing deals last month, $199PS4 with Spiderman Amazing. I personally upgraded to the X with RDR2 deal that I was buying anyway( and could not be happier with it). I was even telling a cousin about the great deals on Switch for her daughter.

Lots of fun going on in the console world.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 enzyme36

I consider myself mainly a PC gamer.... but I spent a ton of cash this year on console support. Some real great games to be had on all platforms lately.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zero_epyon
@techhog89 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

Last year though. If we go by what happened in the previous year then 2017 should have went Playstation. I'm just saying I don't expect a 3rd place Playstation this year.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Techhog89
@Zero_epyon said:
@techhog89 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

Last year though. If we go by what happened in the previous year then 2017 should have went Playstation. I'm just saying I don't expect a 3rd place Playstation this year.

The reason PS4 was in third place last year was because it didn't have much going on in terms of deals. This December PS4 has no real deals at all. Sorry dude, but right now it's not even looking likely that PS4 will break a million, and there's a legitimate chance that Switch will beat PS4 by so much in December that it'll take the top spot for 2018 in the US. It would take a miracle for PS4 for get in second place, let alone anywhere close to first.

Just to keep in mind: this November tracked Cyber Monday, but that was included in December last time. PS4 still ended up dropping 13% YoY. If that same drop happens for December, PS4 is under a million; it's expected that the drop could be even more than that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@techhog89 said:

PS4 > Switch > XB1

The reason Switch won in dollar sales was because it didn't have any real sales below MSRP and in fact had several that were above MSRP. Still, a 75% increase YoY is incredible.

Yeah, if Nintendo had a price cut, we would see a huge difference IMO.

I consider all parties winners, even if Xbox is loser, I'll take that bronze any day. As fanboys doesn't really matter, but as stock holders, they'll take 2nd place in total units with top dollar and +75%. The funny thing, Nintendo stock spiked downwards multiple times this year by wary investors, its laughable at this point how people underestimate Nintendo.

Xbox left that black friday deal on, you could have been buying S and X for $100. And they've been doing major steals with bonus games. So even if X cost more, people haven't payed $500 for a X since Black Friday.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@Xabiss said:

Man everyone kicked ass and this is great. The only losers are fanboys!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Nice!

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@MonsieurX said:

Same here, but Super Mario Party outsold it is lulzworthy

I believe npd does not count bundled software.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#30 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69477 Posts

Yay for Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. Not sure how it benefits me as a gamer.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zero_epyon
@techhog89 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@techhog89 said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

The reason PS4 was in third place last year was because it didn't have much going on in terms of deals. This December PS4 has no real deals at all. Sorry dude, but right now it's not even looking likely that PS4 will break a million, and there's a legitimate chance that Switch will beat PS4 by so much in December that it'll take the top spot for 2018 in the US. It would take a miracle for PS4 for get in second place, let alone anywhere close to first.

Just to keep in mind: this November tracked Cyber Monday, but that was included in December last time. PS4 still ended up dropping 13% YoY. If that same drop happens for December, PS4 is under a million; it's expected that the drop could be even more than that.

Ok I guess we'll see.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11089 Posts
@Nonstop-Madness said:

I don't think there are any deals for it. The Xbox One currently has a better deal than all of Black Friday, for the rest of the month. So, yeah. PS4 will be third.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Switch sales are quite something considering is more expensive than the competition,and pretty much had no deals.

I just bought one of the final 3 left on walmart close to my house for my daughter.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

super mrio party outsold spiderman? 2months after spiderman launch...but still :P

spiderman outsold god of war. well in the usa at least. as many said it would.

i wonder where pokemon lets go would place in the top 10 if you combined evee/pikachu sales?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Techhog89
@Pedro said:

A stronger industry benefits everyone.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts
@techhog89 said:
@Pedro said:

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@techhog89 said:
@Pedro said:

Fair enough.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FireEmblem_Man
@Xabiss said:
@techhog89 said:
@Pedro said:

Indeed

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 That_Old_Guy

@enzyme36: no one is enjoying it.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 That_Old_Guy

@Pedro said:
@techhog89 said:
@Pedro said:

Fair enough.

How about try “oh you’re right and I was wrong. Im just a PC elitist so Im either young and ignorant or just a bigot....don’t mind me.”

Sound good?

Try that next time.

Simba77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Simba77
Member since 2018 • 18 Posts

Interesting numbers

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

@that_old_guy said:

How about try “oh you’re right and I was wrong. Im just a PC elitist so Im either young and ignorant or just a bigot....don’t mind me.”

Sound good?

Try that next time.

LOL. Now I am a PC elitist. Don't let my comment get to you that easily.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 enzyme36

@that_old_guy: ole

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Techhog89
@that_old_guy said:
@Pedro said:
@techhog89 said:
@Pedro said:

Fair enough.

Sound good?

Try that next time.

Actually he's on the Xbox side and is for some reason bitter that it just barely came in third. You'll see him perk up when we get the December results next month.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pedro

@techhog89 said:

Actually he's on the Xbox side and is for some reason bitter that it just barely came in third. You'll see him perk up when we get the December results next month.

I am bitter because MS is third in sales? Why? How does any of this negatively or positively affect my gaming experience? You all sometimes take this SW thing too seriously. The only people who care about sales are fanboys. Regular gamers don't care and continue to enjoy gaming ignorant of that knowledge. Maybe one day you will understand how insignificant these things are. But until then incorrectly assume that I am bitter. :)

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Techhog89
@Pedro said:
@techhog89 said:

I am bitter because MS is third in sales? Why? How does any of this negatively or positively affect my gaming experience? You all sometimes take this SW thing too seriously. The only people who care about sales are fanboys. Regular gamers don't care and continue to enjoy gaming ignorant of that knowledge. Maybe one day you will understand how insignificant these things are. But until then incorrectly assume that I am bitter. :)

Then why post here at all?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@techhog89 said:

Then why post here at all?

Some discussions are worth it, news and not everyone is in moronic fanboy mode all the freaking time. :)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xantufrog  Moderator

@that_old_guy: what the hell is your problem? You've got such a bad obsession with PC gamers that you jump down Pedro's throat for being a Hermit when he isn't. Can't you chill out for one day and just argue about systems without attacking the fanbase (not permitted, by the way)?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Techhog89
@xantufrog said:

@that_old_guy: what the hell is your problem? You've got such a bad obsession with PC gamers that you jump down Pedro's throat for being a Hermit when he isn't. Can't you chill out for one day and just argue about systems without attacking the fanbase(not permitted, by the way)?

Based on knight-k recently...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xantufrog  Moderator

@techhog89: oh, half his posts are non grata too. With so little moderation the place seems to be devolving into a Lord of the Flies like state. I'll be doing some cleanup later for all the good it will do