No more hype - MGS4 did not deserve a 10!

• 200 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vdastampede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 vdastampede
Member since 2003 • 807 Posts

I agree. In my opinion, an 8.5 at best (so far. I've just reached chapter 4).

Nevertheless, it is what it is and we all must live with it and move on.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Gamerrankings means crap, anyone with an IQ above 15 should have figured that out by now.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

Gamerrankings means crap, anyone with an IQ above 15 should have figured that out by now.

Eddie-Vedder

:lol:

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Eddie-Vedder

:| You just took like all the reviews GameRankings uses, yet you didn't use any of the ones with scores lower than 100. :| I don't think its GameRankings we should be bashing here.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Eddie-Vedder
[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

BioShockOwnz

:| You just took like all the reviews GameRankings uses, yet you didn't use any of the ones with scores lower than 100. :| I don't think its GameRankings we should be bashing here.

I didn't mix in reviews though, I showed how many professional reviewers, from the top game reviewing sites/mags gave the game a 10, Gamespot, IGN, giantbomb, gamepro. These aren't little reviewers noone's ever heard of. The game deserved a 10, just because it wasn't a 10 experience for you or someone else means nothing, and averaging out all the existing reviews and saying oh look it's a 93% is ridiculous. You people need to understand the most of these reviews aren't based off taste, just what the game offeres and how it compares to other games in it's genre and so on. Just because you son't like racing games doesn't mean a racing game can't deserve a 10.

omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts
[QUOTE="omgimba"]

Oh no cut scenes..

I wonder how people could ever bear watching movies..

argetlam00

I like playing games more....If MGS4 wanted to be a movie, it should have been one.

And you cant accept a hybrid between movies and videogames?

That sounds awfully narrowminded..

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts

i agree, i think it's overrated because of the hype, but this is the reviewer's opinion so we just have to accept it

same with GTAIV and other reviews

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
it wuldnt have got a 10 on the old system.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

Eddie-Vedder

I didn't mix in reviews though, I showed how many professional reviewers, from the top game reviewing sites/mags gave the game a 10, Gamespot, IGN, giantbomb, gamepro. These aren't little reviewers noone's ever heard of. The game deserved a 10, just because it wasn't a 10 experience for you or someone else means nothing, and averaging out all the existing reviews and saying oh look it's a 93% is ridiculous. You people need to understand the most of these reviews aren't based off taste, just what the game offeres and how it compares to other games in it's genre and so on. Just because you son't like racing games doesn't mean a racing game can't deserve a 10.

Just because a game is a 10 for you, doesn't mean it's a 10 for everybody, bud.

ash10692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#60 ash10692
Member since 2008 • 2310 Posts
IMO MGS3 was better.
Avatar image for scoobiesnackarf
scoobiesnackarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 scoobiesnackarf
Member since 2005 • 1559 Posts

MGS4 is only a 10 to Cows. Its proper score would be between 9-9.5, which Gamerankings has very accurately (93%)argetlam00

Hmm I don't consider myself a cow as I own all systems and enjoy them all. I have been gaming since the early 80's when I started on an Atari 2600 and then went to the NES. My previou favorite games were Link to the Past, Mario 3, FF7. Guess what? MGS4 is now my favorite game of all time...

Alan

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#62 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
You know a game is good when the worst argument someone can come up with is "it doesn't deserve a ten" or "the cutscenes are too long" But seriously, this place is seriously becoming a lemmings haven from what I've seen.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Eddie-Vedder
[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

BioShockOwnz

Just because a game is a 10 for you, doesn't mean it's a 10 for everybody, bud.

I never said that, I never argued taste, you just can't expect to play a game/genre that you don't particulary like and expect the rating scale to made for you, it's made for people who enjoy it. I've played every MGS game to date, I've played Splinter Cell and thief even though I don't even consider them in the same category and I understand perfectly why the game got a 10.

Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
Halo 3 didn't deserve a 9.5. Scores are subjective, live with it.
BK-Sleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#65 BK-Sleeper
Member since 2006 • 2686 Posts
GTA4 didn't deserve a 10 either, but that didn't stop millions of rabid gamers from snatching it up.
gdp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 gdp72
Member since 2007 • 1270 Posts

I agree. In my opinion, an 8.5 at best (so far. I've just reached chapter 4).

Nevertheless, it is what it is and we all must live with it and move on.

vdastampede

The 4th chapter you say? I may be nitpicking but each section of the game is not referred to as chapters.

Anyways MGS4 is hands-down the best game I have played this gen. I never was a huge fan of previous MGS games though I did enjoy them but MGS4 takes the story and game-play to a much higher level then past MGS games. Nothing new and innovative but a great game none the less.

To the people who say the game-play is only 5 hours worth, I don't see how that's possible.

Furycliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Furycliff
Member since 2007 • 676 Posts

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

A great game got great reviews Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The bottom line is MGS4 offers a gaming experience NO other game can offer this gen.

AgentH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 AgentH
Member since 2004 • 4636 Posts

I disagree. It's one of the best games i've ever played.

You must have fairly rushed through the game to get 14 hours on your first playthrough.

SSJ_Nega

Agreed. Added nothing to the gameplay? WTF? Obviously you haven't played it at all or just ran and guned.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I am so tired of reading about how great MGS4 was. It wasn't. I got it bundled with the system and played it through the end. I clocked over 9 hours--9 HOURS of cut scenes and about 5 hours of game play. Come on! Even for dedicated players you got to admit it was over the edge and added nothing to the gameplay. As I played it I kept fighting myself to not quit and go play GTA4 on my Xbox 360. It was just boring. No fanboy here, I am a Gamer so I am into playing aspect and on MGS4 it stunk. This is my opinion but my opinion is shared by more than a few people.

Check out the game review on Noobtoob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8wlkI7wFww&feature=user

It was refreshing to here someone speak truthfully about MGS4

phearless

That's what you get for playing it on Normal or Easy....and not unlocking ANY extras.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

A great game got great reviews Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The bottom line is MGS4 offers a gaming experience NO other game can offer this gen.

Furycliff

like what? long cutscenes?

MGS4 isnt innovative at all. I fail to see how it offers an experience no other game can offer :|

plod2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 plod2
Member since 2007 • 289 Posts
While MGS4 may not deserve a 10, it does deserve higher than GTA IV. I found MGS4 so much better than GTA, GTA was a step down from San Andreas, (while MGS4 probably improved on MGS3, I haven't played MGS3 so I don't know)
gdp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 gdp72
Member since 2007 • 1270 Posts
[QUOTE="phearless"]

I am so tired of reading about how great MGS4 was. It wasn't. I got it bundled with the system and played it through the end. I clocked over 9 hours--9 HOURS of cut scenes and about 5 hours of game play. Come on! Even for dedicated players you got to admit it was over the edge and added nothing to the gameplay. As I played it I kept fighting myself to not quit and go play GTA4 on my Xbox 360. It was just boring. No fanboy here, I am a Gamer so I am into playing aspect and on MGS4 it stunk. This is my opinion but my opinion is shared by more than a few people.

SolidTy

That's what you get for playing it on Normal or Easy....and not unlocking ANY extras.

BINGO!!!

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
The game has been out for 2 months, its a 10 deal with it. The haters who dislike the fact MGS4 got a 10 probably didn't like MGS4 to begin with, they will agree with the high reviews as long as the game they like gets it but when a game they don't like gets high reviews they bash the reviews like crazy. Seriously just get off it know and move on, are we still going to see topics like these bashing MGS4 throughout this year ???
phearless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 phearless
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="phearless"]

gdp72

BINGO!!!

Oh please grow up man. In order to get me to do all that extra crap the game itself has got to be engaging. MGS4 is not. Believe me if this is the next experience in gaming then I'm going back to Pac-man & Dig Dug. I've played better and chances are most of the people writing comments here today probably have too.

I feel your pain though. I REALLY wanted to LIKE this game. But I found it only tolerable. You see I can go back and play a game like 'Mass Effect' on Xbox 360 or GTAIV on PS3 or Halo or Zelda and be engaged through the entire game all over again. I played MGS4 on its higher settings because I have played MGS 2, MGS3, and MGS 1 Solid, but what I found was not innovative at all and least of all anything that would make me want to play the game several times over.

I agree with Tobin on Noobtoob. It's a game that you want to like but it falls short.

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts
MGS4 and GTA4 did not deserve a 10, Brawl deserves an 11.
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

You must have fairly rushed through the game to get 14 hours on your first playthrough.

SSJ_Nega

Yeah I disagree aswell, that game was a masterpiece and most deffinitely deserved it's score here.

azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts

Would you jealous lems who are to ignorant to get a PS3 Shut the F*CK UP?!?!?! If you hate the Mothaf*cking game. ignore it!!!

marklarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78 marklarmer
Member since 2004 • 3883 Posts

maybe it deserved a 10 based on the other games of that genre like GTA4 did. But to try and compare it to all of the 360s games that are from different genres and say its better than all of them...hmm not sure.

AdolescentDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 AdolescentDon
Member since 2005 • 9081 Posts

I don't agree with any of that babble, I think it's an amazing game.

Deserved 10/10 imo.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts

This is my opinion but my opinion is shared by more than a few people.

phearless

So your opinion and the opinion of few other people suddenly makes MGS4 unworthy of a 10?

DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

You know a game is good when the worst argument someone can come up with is "it doesn't deserve a ten" or "the cutscenes are too long" But seriously, this place is seriously becoming a lemmings haven from what I've seen.munu9

This guy wins

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#82 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
all I can say is, in my eyes, MGS4 is one of the best games ever. It moved me (emotionally) FAR more than any other game ever has. The story telling in MGS4 is second to none.

And it took me around 20 hours to beat it the first time through, so... either you're really awesome, and played it on handicap mode (lol, did you expect a challenge at that difficulty?) or you're some kind of gaming prodigy that can manage to run through the game, not worrying if you raise the alarm or not, and beat it in remarkable time. I mean, if you can beat the game in 5 hours on the hardest difficulty, without getting caught, or killing anyone, you get the big boss badge.

I dunno. Like the guy posting in pink said, there really is no such thing as a wrong opinion. The way you post, you make it sound like your opinion is right, while everyone else is wrong. which is just silly. The MGS series isn't something for everyone, but MGS4, gameplay wise, is a lot easier to get into, and just play, than the other games. Sure its not some RPG game, so it won't last you 50-60 hours in one playthrough (is that what you were expecting?) but as far as an action game (tactical action), its decent length. Takes an average player a good 10 or so hours to complete, barring cutscenes.

I just wish there was a way to go back and watch the cutscenes over from the menu.

to re-iterate, IMO, MGS4 is one of the best games ever, and highly deserving of its 10. the online is a different story, but even then, that is still pretty fun.
Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts
MG2, MGS, and so far MGS4 all deserve 10s.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts
[QUOTE="Furycliff"]

JPOBS

MGS4 isnt innovative at all. I fail to see how it offers an experience no other game can offer :|

Start playing the game to see.

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
[QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="Furycliff"]

HAZE-Unit

He would, but he can't play it on his 360.

OOOOOOOOH I GET IT. So THATS why the game sucks. because it's not on the 360. A lot like how FFXIII sucks, and the entire FF franchise has sucked since FFVII, in fact, FF suc... *FFXIII announced for 360* I meant to say FFXIII rules! and its no longer a PS3 exclusive! HAHAHAH EAT IT COWS! all the best RPG R BELONG TO US!

riiiiiiiiiight.
azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts
[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"][QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="Furycliff"]

0rin

He would, but he can't play it on his 360.

OOOOOOOOH I GET IT. So THATS why the game sucks. because it's not on the 360. A lot like how FFXIII sucks, and the entire FF franchise has sucked since FFVII, in fact, FF suc... *FFXIII announced for 360* I meant to say FFXIII rules! and its no longer a PS3 exclusive! HAHAHAH EAT IT COWS! all the best RPG R BELONG TO US!

riiiiiiiiiight.

Even for lems, they are starting to become really ignorant. It's like they've run out of good things to say about 360 and now decides to take a jab against PS3, which fails completely.

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

First off if Mgs4 wasn't engaging to you then you probably did skip the cutscenes and still are complaining of long cutscenes lol.

2nd To many load times? Geez I'm playing through HL2 again on the pc and I can't beleive how many loads that games got. I've played it before but didn't notice until after playing on the ps3 for a while. MGS4 loads are almost nonexistant compared to HL2, which HL2 along with mgs4 are what I consider best games ever made.

3rd 5 hours on first play through? Hmmm didn't know they made a easy mode in mgs4 that was that easy lol. I played on normal my first time through and played like the game was meant to be played. Using stealth and some good ole blasting my way through and finished the game with 24hrs logged. I can see anywhere from 18 and higher but lower your just looking up how beat boss fights online lol, aswell as just running through and not taking the game serious at all, and just playing on EASY MODE.

I wish more games would have a more compelling story lines, but I guess people would rather play the game but have to read comic books to know what the story is about (halo3) instead of having cutscenes.

Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
they knew online was gonna hinder the score..so they shut it down until the reviews were all done!lmao!such smart strategic action!
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

SSJ_Nega

You mus tnot play a lot of games then... NOOB

hyperboy152000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 hyperboy152000
Member since 2003 • 4815 Posts
[QUOTE="SSJ_Nega"]

Phazevariance

ofcourse hes a noob cuz he doesnt agree with you....good to see you can really bring something insightful to the discussion...o wait you havent you due to your own choices you may never actually do that

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
no that gamw was a pure masterpiece which truly should be GOTY
SSJ_Nega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 SSJ_Nega
Member since 2005 • 3171 Posts
[QUOTE="SSJ_Nega"]

Phazevariance

Not cool, man.

I've been gaming since back in the days of the SNES and the Megadrive (Genesis).

I've played tons of games.

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts
ps3 fanboys will call any game that score well the greatest game of all time if its exclusive. after all they've been playing lair, heavenly sword, haze, folklore etc. this game doesn't even crack the top 60 at gamerankings. its not fit to even hold zelda ocarina of time's jockstrap.
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]MGS4 has the same length of gameplay as cutscenes, my 1st playthrough I clocked in 21 hours of gameplay. MGS4 is by no means a perfect game but damn is it close, the game is specfically made for the fans btw. You know MGS4 didn't just get a 10 in GS it also got a 10 at ign amongst various other sites and mags, whether you like it or not MGS4 is 10 deserving game and everything that that fans wanted. MGS4 raises the bar for current gen games and will be remembered fondly by gamers like the way we remember FF7, Mario64 etc.BioShockOwnz

MGS4 didn't raise the bar for gaming, in no way whatsoever.

and.....let me guess....GTA4 did? :|

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts
[QUOTE="phearless"]

hyperboy152000

funny i played it and first time on normal i beat it in 22 hours, which roughly the same amount of time it took me to beat GTA4, so i guess neither of these games are 10 worthy

9 hours of cut scenes, 12 hours of gameplay, still nothing to brag about. He probably played it on easy.

Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts

It got a 10 on GS, and its the #1 rated exclusive this gen. But dont tell that to Bioshockownz.

Anyway, people really need to stop saying this game didnt deserve a 10, it got a 10, and thats final. Its funny how if someone states that if LOZ:oot doesnt deserve a 10, they get ran off into oblivion.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
best game ive ever played
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

Meh... even with all my complaints concerning the lenght of the cutscenes a few days before its release, in the end, they were still not a problem for me. Yes I've winned about story elements, the cutscene quality and everything else in relation to the rest of the solid series... but in the end, I still went through the cutscenes without much of a problem.

I don't even know if they reached the supposed huge lenght some critics were talking about... sure they were big, but the claims seemed to be a little bit of an exaggeration. At least that's what it felt like while I was going through them.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]MGS4 has the same length of gameplay as cutscenes, my 1st playthrough I clocked in 21 hours of gameplay. MGS4 is by no means a perfect game but damn is it close, the game is specfically made for the fans btw. You know MGS4 didn't just get a 10 in GS it also got a 10 at ign amongst various other sites and mags, whether you like it or not MGS4 is 10 deserving game and everything that that fans wanted. MGS4 raises the bar for current gen games and will be remembered fondly by gamers like the way we remember FF7, Mario64 etc.ReaperV7

MGS4 didn't raise the bar for gaming, in no way whatsoever.

and.....let me guess....GTA4 did? :|

Missed the argument, eh? Well, that's alright. No, neither game raised the bar for gaming. That's common sense. Neither of these games did anything out of the norm when it comes to game design.

Benihana7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#100 Benihana7
Member since 2005 • 4645 Posts
Would've cared if this was still June; get over it.