Nintendo wont allow you to download Wii U 18+ rated games before 11 PM

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#151 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
Well, they aren't doing this in the US, so I'm not going to worry about it.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#153 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

Nintendo's European Offices are located in germany which has harsh content viewing laws

I don;t know if this is the exact law preventing the viewing or selling of those digital rated M games on the eshop until late at night but here it is.

Germany protects young people against exposure to alcohol, tobacco, and descriptions of sex and violence in the media. Children below the age of sixteen may not purchase tobacco products or hard spirits; however, other alcoholic beverages may be consumed in public by children between the ages of fourteen and sixteen if they are accompanied by an adult. Children below certain age limits may not visit drinking and dancing places at certain hours of the night.[73]

The protection of young people against sex, violence, and racial hatred extends to virtually all media including books, serial publications, audio and video recordings, television, radio, and the Internet. Restrictions are contained in the federal Youth Protection Act,[74] and these apply primarily to written materials and recordings. Proliferation of sex and violence in the broadcast media and the Internet is governed by an agreement between the German states.

Link

http://www.loc.gov/law/help/child-rights/germany.php

micky4889

Why the hell are many people just ignoring this?

Maybe because Xbox Live and PSN doesn't have these stupid time restrictions in Germany, or any other contry for that matter. If PSN and Live can sell M rated games in Germany without a time restriction, then so can Nintendo. It doesnt matter where there offices are based, they're are selling to the same market.

Even if that was the case, why should the 49 other EU countries have to have this? Are you saying Germany is telling Nintendo what they can and cant do in other contries?

I heard that PSN use to be restricted to.And the EU servers from what I heard for the Eshop are located in Germany which explains this insane and terrible law.

Killzonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154 Killzonage
Member since 2012 • 397 Posts
That is dumb.
WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

I wanna see someone try to spin this

EPaul
That is only in Europe. Spun my friend.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#156 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

[QUOTE="EPaul"]

I wanna see someone try to spin this

WllDan7

That is only in Europe. Spun my friend.

Not Bad 7/10

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

This only matters to 12 year old mature game fanboys who get tucked in at 9:00.

AmazonTreeBoa

I love the punk ass excuses people are making here instead of just having the balls to say "yep, Nintendo fvcked up this time" like a normal sane rational person would do instead of making themselves took ignorant actually trying to defend this crap? Whatever, this is SW after. Maybe I am stupid and ignorant for expecting anything other than stupidity and ignorance out of SW.

What do I have to defend? If this was Nintendo's idea, this limitation would be in every country, which it's not. I'm just glad I live in America, where mass corruption is supported:D.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#158 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
This thread is pretty misleading. It should specify Europe in the title. So many here don't bother reading past the title before posting
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#159 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Jonwh18"] So does 18+ include games like GTA then in EU?

Jonwh18

Yes, GTA is rated as a 18. Some games used to be rated by the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) which are enforced by law.

Okay this is legitimately annoying then. Not the big deal people are making it, but an annoyance non the less. Athough anyone buying a nintnedo console for anything other then 1st party games (none of which are M) is a moron.

Whoa, what the hell? :|

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18805 Posts

Why the hell is no one reading my post with the thing that may may be that law.

super600
Is that a rabbit or rat as your avatar?
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

PSP107

It's a bunny.:D

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

I don't get this.

Why?

Do they think they will somehow lessen the amount of minors that purchase M-rated games on their service just because they have to wait until 11pm?

If these kids were able to convince their parents to let them play M-rated games then chances are they're going to still be awake after 11pm.

I don't get Nintendo like why do they have to be such control freaks in everything they do?

And whats the deal with the child accounts? I heard that they charge you a fee just to verify that you are an adult or something but don't refund what they charge.

I swear they act like they're the vanguards of morality or some sh!t.

:|

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

This is not for Japan and America...

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

Whoever is in-charge of this, fire them, now.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 super600  Moderator

I don't get this.

Why?

Do they think they will somehow lessen the amount of minors that purchase M-rated games on their service just because they have to wait until 11pm?

If these kids were able to convince their parents to let them play M-rated games then chances are they're going to still be awake after 11pm.

I don't get Nintendo like why do they have to be such control freaks in everything they do?

And whats the deal with the child accounts? I heard that they charge you a fee just to verify that you are an adult or something but don't refund what they charge.

I swear they act like they're the vanguards of morality or some sh!t.

:|

Rockman999

Read this scholarly article

http://bciptf.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/17-AN-ANALYSIS-OF-THE-VIDEO-GAME-REGULATION-HARMONIZATION-EFFORT-IN-THE-EUROPEAN-UNION-AND-ITS-TRANS-ATLANTIC-CHILLING-EFFECT-ON-CONSTITUTIONALLY-PROTECTED-EXPRESSION.pdf

and this even though it may not have happened yet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2006/dec/12/news.germany

This probalbly influenced it.

This move is justified for germany, but not the rest of the EU.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#166 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

im going to be honest, Germany is an idiotic and very backwards country when it comes to media...censorship should never exist its essentially a mockery of free speech, sure controls good but they place far too much effort into "protecting" the children but i bet they still get a hold of the games.

Germany is really gung ho on censorship...despite being a free and democratic country which is ironic.Not to mention the buggers want us to pay more for the EU despite them having the only growing economy in europe afaik.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

So when the kids go to bed early and put to sleep by their parents, for school or nursery the next day...

All the big kids will be downloading 18+ rated games on the Wii:U I assume

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#168 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts
It's always fascinating watching a trainwreck in slow motion. It seems every few weeks there comes news from them that's just more and more ridiculous. Nintendo has lost me as a customer as they seem to be so out of touch from what people want.
helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

Brothels are legal in Germany but god forbid A child download a rated 18 game.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#170 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22817 Posts

holy shiit balls... that is the whackest idea I have ever seen... Nintendo goes out of their way to make me disappointed with them. I wish they'd stop.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

holy shiit balls... that is the whackest idea I have ever seen... Nintendo goes out of their way to make me disappointed with them. I wish they'd stop.

TheEroica
Its not Nintendo's fault, blame it on the German Government.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Right. Because 13-16 year olds will neeeeeever be up past 11 :roll: :P

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Right. Because 13-16 year olds will neeeeeever be up past 11 :roll: :P

AdobeArtist
Never ever
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#174 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
And yet Nintendo wonders why they always carry the stigma of being a toy company...
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#175 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts
Stuff like this is the reason why i lost faith in Nintendo. They are one step ahead and two steops behind on innovation.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#176 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts
This thread is pretty misleading. It should specify Europe in the title. So many here don't bother reading past the title before postingGunSmith1_basic
Fanboys are desperate.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="TheEroica"]

clyde46

I will admit to not have read the whole story, but what gives? germany is changing the rules for everyone or just germany... if its just germany then i wish them well in their fight to have this moronic idea changed. If it effects the rest of the world, then shame on nintendo.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]This thread is pretty misleading. It should specify Europe in the title. So many here don't bother reading past the title before postingMichael0134567
Fanboys are desperate.

my above comment played right into this posts hands... haha :D *goes to clean the fanboy off*
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 super600  Moderator

Whoever is in-charge of this, fire them, now.

dream431ca

Then both the party that is in charge of germany and maybe everyone at NOE should be fired.:lol:

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="TheEroica"]

TheEroica

I will admit to not have read the whole story, but what gives? germany is changing the rules for everyone or just germany... if its just germany then i wish them well in their fight to have this moronic idea changed. If it effects the rest of the world, then shame on nintendo.[/QUOTE

There is a chance they can get rid of this restriction everywere in the EU except Germany.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="super600"]

super600

Bunnies are awesome :)

[spoiler] Playboy Bunnies that is :P [/spoiler]

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 PSP107
[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="super600"]

oh. lol
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#183 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
Once again they prove what a sh*tty company they arethemajormayor
this is europe not usa , so its not the entire company lol
trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#184 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

Anyone complaining about this doesn't understand what Nintendo represents. Nintendo has always been for kids, no matter what the obese neckbeard Zelda fans on this site say. That's the reason they only rehash their 1st party titles - for the next generation of kids, and parents who played those first party titles growing up can be sure the content is suitable for their kids.

If you're over the age of 14 and still like Nintendo games there's something seriously wrong with you. Nintendo isn't for you any more, despite the E rating. Grow up and buy a gaming PC already...

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="trollop_scat"]

Anyone complaining about this doesn't understand what Nintendo represents. Nintendo has always been for kids, no matter what the obese neckbeard Zelda fans on this site say. That's the reason they only rehash their 1st party titles - for the next generation of kids, and parents who played those first party titles growing up can be sure the content is suitable for their kids.

If you're over the age of 14 and still like Nintendo games there's something seriously wrong with you. Nintendo isn't for you any more, despite the E rating. Grow up and buy a gaming PC already...

[/QUOTE

So I must have a problem with me and I should get it fixed just because I enjoy playing a company's game. I can enjoy whatever game I want. And NOE's weird interpretation of a bunch of german laws caused this.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#186 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

So I must have a problem with me and I should get it fixed just because I enjoy playing a company's game. I can enjoy whatever game I want. And NOE's weird interpretation of a bunch of german laws caused this.

super600

Sure, and you can also keep collecting action figures you never open and display in your room that no female will ever enter. It's your right and you can do whatever you want. Just please don't think your behavior is normal for people over the age of 14...

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

trollop_scat

Sure, and you can also keep collecting action figures you never open and display in your room that no female will ever enter. It's your right and you can do whatever you want. Just please don't think your behavior is normal for people over the age of 14...

It is normal. I own games ranging from rated E to M.It's not normal to a person who thinks that what they enjoy should apply to everyone else,

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
So Germany is enforcing Nintendo to do this?
CLOUDsea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 CLOUDsea
Member since 2012 • 1095 Posts

This is actually fairly hilarious.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
So Germany is enforcing Nintendo to do this?ArisShadows
Yes, it would cost Nintendo more in man power and server charges to have a separate system just for Germany.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 super600  Moderator

So Germany is enforcing Nintendo to do this?ArisShadows

From what I heard from the multiple news stories about this restriction, reading scholarly articles and new stories about the german law and info from other forums like neogaf at least 60%-80% of the blame can be placed on the ridiculous youth protection laws in germany.The other part about this is that NOE may have intrepreted the laws in a wrong way to make sure they don't get sued to oblivion by the German government or citizens.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 super600  Moderator

This is actually fairly hilarious.

CLOUDsea

Blame the youth protection laws in germany.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 PSP107
[QUOTE="trollop_scat"]

lol @ neckbeard Zelda fans. anyway, NES and Snes(and N64), Nintendo wasn't about kids.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#194 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

This only matters to 12 year old mature game fanboys who get tucked in at 9:00.

RR360DD

I love the punk ass excuses people are making here instead of just having the balls to say "yep, Nintendo fvcked up this time" like a normal sane rational person would do instead of making themselves took ignorant actually trying to defend this crap? Whatever, this is SW after. Maybe I am stupid and ignorant for expecting anything other than stupidity and ignorance out of SW.

Its Nintendo we're talking about here. They shlt all over sheep, yet sheep defend them to the death :lol:

Ive called out many of their stupid Wii U decisions and the lengths sheep go to justify them is quite funny. Looking forward to the next piece of news on the Wii U :twisted:

omg not this again...NINTENDO OF EUROPE.

Other Places are unaffected.

Sucks that you can't download M rated titles over there, but holy crap Physical Media is still available. Want that ZombiU? Get the Disc.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Back for my daily laugh.

hahahahahaha

*inhales*

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Obviously_Right

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
[QUOTE="ArisShadows"]So Germany is enforcing Nintendo to do this?clyde46
Yes, it would cost Nintendo more in man power and server charges to have a separate system just for Germany.

Then the answer should be no. germany is not forcing this. Nintendo is making a choice. Since the other systems don't have this limitation.
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Maybe you SW morons can ask mommy to stay up extra late on a weekend... don't want you cranky for school now do we?

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="ArisShadows"]So Germany is enforcing Nintendo to do this?p4s2p0

Then the answer should be no. germany is not forcing this. Nintendo is making a choice. Since the other systems don't have this limitation.

The other company's don't have their offices or servers in germany.:lol:

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#199 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts
NES and Snes(and N64), Nintendo wasn't about kids.PSP107
:lol: Biggest laugh I had all day, because those systems WERE regarded as kids stuff.
Zoza24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Zoza24
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts

This is laughable!! :lol:

Really Nintendo?.