Nintendo in hot water with content creators

• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 0

#151 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Zen_Light: I never said anyone hates nintendo. I said no one talks about them. I am never asked at all about nintendo stuff. It has nothing to during do with my views. We had a Wii last gen and I own a DSlite , a 3ds and was a big fan of NES and SNES.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#152 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I find it hilarious people are defending Nintendo saying they just want control of their content... if that's the case why are they taking a cut of the advertising revenue? Do they stop things from being posted in the first place if they don't like the steamer?

I can only understand these things being done if they didn't want spoilers posted before release, and put out what not to show from reviewers prior to release.

Other than that Nintentdo are just using youtubers for quick cash that they would otherwise not be making.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@ten_pints said:

I find it hilarious people are defending Nintendo saying they just want control of their content... if that's the case why are they taking a cut of the advertising revenue? Do they stop things from being posted in the first place if they don't like the steamer?

I can only understand these things being done if they didn't want spoilers posted before release, and put out what not to show from reviewers prior to release.

Other than that Nintendo** are just using youtubers for quick cash that they would otherwise not be making.

Kind of like how these youtubers are using Nintendo games for? lol You see, its a double edged sword. Sure, I think its kind of a F-U from Nintendo, but at the same time its a very iffy subject on copyright. A subject that other gaming companies are debating themselves about. Ninty is the only one taking a shot at it. Right or wrong.

Sure. Nintendo is doing their old style ways with it, but it doesn't 100% say the old ways are wrong. Its more misguided imo. If it comes to bite 'em in the ass, i'll bet they will change it.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#154  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

if we're talking LPers, I kind of get why Nintendo would try to monetize it for themselves.

It would be different if these LPs had some kind of indirect benefit for them, but I don't see how it does. Before their ad-siphoning, Nintendo games had to have been about half of all LPs. If not, a massive portion.

What has it got them? The wii u was pretty much a dud and even the wii was abandoned pretty much late in that gen. Nothing has been easy for Nintendo during this supposed golden age of Nintendo based-content on youtube. It seems like the people who watch these Nintendo LPs don't go out and buy Nintendo products very much. There are also quite a few LPs out there where the game itself is far more interesting than whatever the LPer has to add. That last bit is a bit of opinion, but personally I would be all for every company to take Nintendo's lead on this issue. There are people making a ton of money without much skill

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#155 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41579 Posts

Developer of Gunman Clive gives his thoughts on this whole ordeal.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#156 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

It needs to be less vague as to not include people who do video reviews or Editorial Pieces, but Publishers are absolutely in the right to take a cut of the Advertising money from Traditional Let's Plays. "It's Free Advertisement" and "It was never a problem before" is not a defense of Let's Plays being in that gray area of Copy Right infrigment.

It's just like Mystery Science Theater or Rifftrax, you need the license to be able to show someone else's intellectual property.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 nintendoboy16

@Lionheart08 said:

It needs to be less vague as to not include people who do video reviews or Editorial Pieces, but Publishers are absolutely in the right to take a cut of the Advertising money from Traditional Let's Plays. "It's Free Advertisement" and "It was never a problem before" is not a defense of Let's Plays being in that gray area of Copy Right infrigment.

It's just like Mystery Science Theater or Rifftrax, you need the license to be able to show someone else's intellectual property.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Rifftrax have a separate audio file to download and play alongside the movie people likely have on DVD? That's how it was last I checked their site. MST3K, I can understand.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#158 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Lionheart08 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Rifftrax have a separate audio file to download and play alongside the movie people likely have on DVD? That's how it was last I checked their site. MST3K, I can understand.

Yep. I should have articulated it better, but that was my point. Rifftrax doesn't own the licenses to the movies they riff, so they release the audio only tracks instead.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 nintendoboy16

@Lionheart08 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Lionheart08 said:

Yep. I should have articulated it better, but that was my point. Rifftrax doesn't own the licenses to the movies they riff, so they release the audio only tracks instead.

I figured. I thought Rifftrax doing audio clips for the movies they riff was because of a loophole in copyright law.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@ten_pints said:

Other than that Nintentdo are just using youtubers for quick cash that they would otherwise not be making.

Just like Youtubers are making a quick cash over their content that they would otherwise not make? The fucking nerve on that company

lol

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@speak_low said:

- Posting an MP3 rip from the newest Katy Perry album (or whatever is popular) that hasn't been released

This is a horseshit comparison.

Why unreleased? Why rip?

Did you know that these artists PAY to have their songs aired on radio/mtv/whatever?

Yeah, a complete song, not a "demo" or a "trailer".

You know why? Because it's advertisement. And radio stations actually benefit from it. They get both ad revenue AND getting paid by the artist. Amazing how the world works, isn't it?

There's been a bunch of other stupid comparisons in this thread with other mediums. Give me a break. You would think that people on Gamespot would know the difference between a videogame and a fucking movie.

Get this: If a piece of user-made content doesn't make the original copyrighted material obsolete, it falls under fair use by Youtube's own rules.

And i'm sorry, if we're not talking about QTE Movie-games, no ammount of LP footage will get you a full game experience, i.e. make the complete game obsolete for you.

That's why all the kids buy millions of copies of whatever the **** Pewds is playing at the moment.

Because playing, surprisingly enough, isn't the same as watching.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@speak_low said:

However, I will admit that things get sketchy as well. Would a "Lets Watch" video of someone commentating on a movie fall under Fair Use? It's commentary, entertainment and criticism. However, I doubt a Lets Watch video of someone commentating on every Disney, Warner Bros., Fox and Universal movie would ever fly well. The frequent gaps of silence from some commentators would almost make the experience close enough to watching the actual movie for free.

I can sort of understand both sides of the argument here, but I'm still in favor of Lets Play videos for video games being protected under fair use. The method of consumption here is not close enough to the original experience of playing the video game (at least in comparison to the other media).

Movies and music are linear mediums. There're matching algorithms in place on youtube that can determine how much of licenced footage/music is used and how heavily it's edited.

A damn computer can figure out if a video using licenced material falls under fair use or not.

This very computer can't do the same for videogames.

Because games are interactive medium.

Because each playthrough differs from another.

And each player owns his playthrough.

That's why LP'ers have an audience. There're people willing to watch how this specific guy will play this game.

Maybe he's good and people enjoy watching him being good.

Or he may suck and people enjoy watching him suck.

@speak_low said:

Posting a link to the entire album of famous artists like Katy Perry, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Kanye West and Taylor Swift on a message board (such as here or elsewhere) isn't allowed for obvious reasons.

Again, why the full album?

LP is not a complete experience that substitutes playing the game by yourself.

It's more like a free cover (or parody) album, made by a youtube personality.

I certainly don't see anyone having a problem with those.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

We can't have nice things on both sides.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#165 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

Before I bought some of my games, I actually watch youtube videos of people playing the game. The people that post these help advertise the games imo.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@R10nu: It's mind boggling how clueless people are. They honestly think that people follow these Let's Players for the games they play, when in reality, it's the personality that keeps people coming back.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#167 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4727 Posts

Nintendo can be so dumb sometimes. Even as a big Nintendo fan, this is just.......gosh I have no way to explain how dumb eastern companies can be. It is like they fail to realize that the more videos of your games the better. I will never understand.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Nintendo making their image worse. Great.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#169  Edited By kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

@ten_pints said:

This is basically it. It's another untapped source of revenue for them. The balance to be considered is the $$$ they make from getting a throwback from these videos and the amount of consumers they will lose because of this act of badwill.

Luckily for Nintendo their consumer base these days is largely made of Nintendo loyalists that will only play Nintendo games who have no alternative game company to turn to for this specific need. (Not really that lucky because this is a huge reason their market share in the game industry is as small as it is today and still shrinking) Therefore, Nintendo's loss in consumers resulting from this act of badwill will be negligible and the benefit of the $former$ will outweigh the latter, explaining one of their considerations in reaching this decision.

MS and Sony are in direct competition with each other and therefore have to think twice before making moves like this as an alternative comparable product is readily available to their user base.