Nintendo in hot water with content creators

• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I'm pretty sure most of you guys know that Youtubers can't make money on videos that have more than 30 seconds of anything Nintendo, so the company created a program where the Youtuber and Nintendo can share the profit.

Here is a link for those that want more info about the program: https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/guide/

The problem is that pewdiepie said: "**** You Nintendo." and he wasn't the only one either.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pewdiepie-and-other-youtubers-dismiss-nintendo-s-proposed-revenue-sharing-plan/0144537

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/01/30/pewdiepie-calls-nintendos-new-youtube-program-a-slap-in-the-face/

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Why not post this in nini's thread?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

How scandalous.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

I can still watch GB's coverage of Nintendo on their website, so no biggie.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Nintendo's policies are pure censorship and evil. I would hate to work there, make videos about them or make games for their systems. They always try there hardest to push people away which makes no sense.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69936 Posts

"Content Creators", they are using content that is not theirs and benefiting financially from it. You can't be using other people's property for monetary gains and expect the owners of that property to just be OK with that.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Fascinating.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Pedro: actually you can

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#9 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Isn't that program in beta?

Hopefully they'll change things.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nintendoboy16

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Isn't that program in beta?

Hopefully they'll change things.

That's what I understand from a GoNintendo poster who signed up.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I have no problem with this. Nintendo went through all the trouble of making the game. I would not want someone to steal my stuff and put it up on youtube and make money on it. Nintendo doing a sharing program is a concession to these thieves who can't create their own stuff. They ought to be thanking Nintendo.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By freedomfreak

So, is Nintendo about the only one out there(when it comes to Let's Plays) that makes a big deal out of it?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nintendoboy16

@freedomfreak said:

So, is Nintendo about the only one out there(when it comes to Let's Plays) that makes a big deal out of it?

Microsoft and SEGA made a deal about it for a while.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak
@nintendoboy16 said:

Microsoft and SEGA made a deal about it for a while.

But not anymore, I assume?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@Pedro said:

"Content Creators", they are using content that is not theirs and benefiting financially from it. You can't be using other people's property for monetary gains and expect the owners of that property to just be OK with that.

Three things:

A very strong case can be made for fair use on these types of videos.

Secondly, with very few exceptions, these personalities make next to nothing. Nintendo scamming them out of those few cents a view can make a huge difference in them not bothering. Why not use their time making videos where they get their full livelihood?

thirdly, many, many success stories with smaller titles can be drawn right to being featured by LP'ers. They have proven to drive sales more than they reduce them.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Nintendo is totally up to speed with the world of today /s....seems they're always behind and stuck in old ways.

If they didn't have icons from the 80s and 90s still breathing life in their company.....they'd be dead in the water.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18256 Posts

So...? they are mad because they can no longer make money by playing video games?

First world problems yay.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

I have no problem with this. Nintendo went through all the trouble of making the game. I would not want someone to steal my stuff and put it up on youtube and make money on it. Nintendo doing a sharing program is a concession to these thieves who can't create their own stuff. They ought to be thanking Nintendo.

Youtube is essentially free advertising for video games.

Don't be crazy

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Pedro said:

This. I don't get why people think they can just make money off other peoples products. This is why kanye west has to pay to sample someone elses song or why you have to pay to even use someones face in a movie. If someone made money reading pages of my novel on youtube I'd be pissed.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bunchanumbers

@JangoWuzHere said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Don't be crazy

but its not really free advertising. Its near a public display of your work for free. It could just as well as be me playing a game on a screen in Time Square.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bread_or_Decide

@JangoWuzHere said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Don't be crazy

Myth. No one going to youtube is going to buy the game they already went there to watch someone else play.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Nintendo doesn't understand marketing. It's not that they're stuck in the 80s in that area; they just don't get it at all.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide

@bunchanumbers said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Don't be crazy

but its not really free advertising. Its near a public display of your work for free. It could just as well as be me playing a game on a screen in Time Square.

Yep. Nintendo is huge and doesn't need joblo youtubers "free" advertising. This is also why you can't put movies on youtube. Come on people stop being so entitled.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Don't be crazy

Myth. No one going to youtube is going to buy the game they already went there to watch someone else play.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/how-pewdiepie-fired-skate-3-back-into-the-charts/0137447

Also Minecraft would not have become the sensation it is today without the aid of youtube.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Don't be crazy

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/how-pewdiepie-fired-skate-3-back-into-the-charts/0137447

How OLD is that game? No one cares.

Nintendo allows reviews of their games and THAT is what generates people to go buy it. They don't need a LETS PLAY to get that point across. A let's play is point black, putting an entire product out there for free.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#26 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

It's not the same as if someone were to put up a full musical album or movie. Listening/watching those is the full experience; nothing else to it. With a video game, playing it is the experience. It's not like the Youtube content creators are stealing or giving anything away. Yes, they're still videos of games that NIntendo makes, but it's practically paid advertisement that they don't have to pay for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:

So...? they are mad because they can no longer make money by playing video games?

First world problems yay.

Entertainers are entertainers. I personally don't feel sympathy when the players of a major televised sport go on strike. and they get fucking MILLIONS to play a goddamn game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@bunchanumbers said:

It's not the same as if someone were to put up a full musical album or movie. Listening/watching those is the full experience; nothing else to it. With a video game, playing it is the experience. It's not like the Youtube content creators are stealing or giving anything away. Yes, they're still videos of games that NIntendo makes, but it's practically paid advertisement that they don't have to pay for.

Not only that, but there's a difference between just putting up the full game with no commentary up, and then having commentary and different content mixed in. Seems all people know nowadays is bending to corporate wills, look up fair use and learn something people.

The only time I would be on the owner's side is if it were a game like heavy rain or beyond 2 souls :p

But if it were a game with actual gameplay that had no commentary and just gameplay, I think it's ok for the owners to want a cut.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

Good God Nintendo, who wrote and approved these rules? If you don't want them using your content, just tell them to not use your content. This whole CC program seems like an overly complex way of telling LP'ers to go f*ck off.

I get Nintendo's reasons to want to ensure their image (and the content/commentary surrounding their games) remains controlled, but going about it in this manner is only a sign of how insular their company is.

You can register single videos or entire channels.

1. When you register a channel, you will be eligible to receive a share of advertising revenue from Nintendo for all videos included in that channel, regardless of their content. If you only want some videos to apply to this program, please register each video individually.
  2. You can only use channels or videos that contain copyrighted content related to game titles specified by Nintendo, and they must be your original creations. Be sure your videos do not contain copyrighted material from third parties or content from unconfirmed game titles. See here for a list of Nintendo game titles specified for use with this program.
  3. It can regularly take up to three business days for your registered content to be reviewed and finalized.
  4. The advertisement revenue share is 70% for channels and 60% for videos.
    (This rate may be changed arbitrarily. )
  5. In order to comply with applicable laws and regulations, and as a condition to participating in the Nintendo Creators Program, you must include the following disclosure with any videos you create that contain Nintendo content:

I have a license to use Nintendo’s content in this video through the Nintendo Creators Program. This video is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, but any advertising revenue from this video will be shared with Nintendo.

This disclosure may be spoken (e.g., in the YouTube video) or written (e.g., in the YouTube caption or as on-screen text in the video). Regardless of format, you need to make sure the disclosure is prominently presented, easy to understand, and clearly visible and/or audible to anyone who views your video.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Did my post just get deleted for some non-apparent reason, I have no idea why? As I was saying. I heard this Nintendo creators program has all kinds of rules enforced upon it that if Nintendo deem inappropriate they can potentially delete all your videos and perhaps even ban your youtube. Such things as negative opinions about the product or even simple things like swearing. Nintendo are living in some kind of delusion if they think they can have this much control over video creators. Time and time again Nintendo prove that they are out of date and out of touch with the gaming community. I will not support them until them until they get with the times. The company is still run by Japanese senile old fools quite obviously.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bread_or_Decide

Can we stop this "free advertising" myth. They get plenty of REAL free advertising from video game websites, reviews, and articles. All without having the product ruined for the consumer.

Nintendo is in hot water with these people the way a lion is in hot water with an ant walking across it's paw.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Can we stop this "free advertising" myth. They get plenty of REAL free advertising from video game websites, reviews, and articles. All without having the product ruined for the consumer.

Nintendo is in hot water with these people the way a lion is in hot water with an ant walking across it's paw.

I only really go to youtube to check out gameplay before I buy a game. Because gaming journalism is a joke, scores are a joke and most of the time on these sites they can't even take the time to play the whole damn game because they rush to match when other sites put reviews up so if I cared about their opinions in the first place I wouldn't then.

Does this site pay Nintendo to cover their games, hmm?

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Well, no talent losers are making money with no effort from just playing video games, it's not too surprising when a company who made the game would want some of that effortless money. Personally I think it's greedy, but the outrage that some hacks like pewdiepie are showing for this is hysterical. "oh no I have to share my profits from exploiting a games service with the company that made the game! F*CK YOU NINTENDO!!!"

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Jesus Christ you guys need to read up on the copyright laws. By some of your insane logic satire parodies and even reviews should be illegal

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

People calling it effortless have zero idea of the time and effort involved in actually editing videos. It's not something you can do simply within a couple of minutes or even a couple of hours. Sometimes it can take days or even weeks to finalize. Although that really depends on quality of the video. The likes of Angry Joes reviews, those take a lot of time. That guy works for his money. It's not the games he reviews that are making him money, it's him himself. His own self made character.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bread_or_Decide

@Chozofication said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

I only really go to youtube to check out gameplay before I buy a game. Because gaming journalism is a joke, scores are a joke and most of the time on these sites they can't even take the time to play the whole damn game because they rush to match when other sites put reviews up so if I cared about their opinions in the first place I wouldn't then.

Gamespot doesn't play the entire game and when they do show footage it's by permission from the publishers and dev.

Let's Play is an entirely different thing all together. Youtubers have to wake up and realize they live in the real world. Content is copy righted and they have no right to it unless it's given to them.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

kidtendo reminds me of the nazi regime in 40s, they really need a good ass kicking

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

None of the people I sub to on youtube even have anything Nintendo related so I'm like...meh.But Nintendo is being a bit lame for doing this however.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bread_or_Decide

@Capitan_Kid said:

Jesus Christ you guys need to read up on the copyright laws. By some of your insane logic satire parodies and even reviews should be illegal

No, those things are all allowed.

Playing the entire game for all to see is different. Now if it's shown without the youtuber wanting money, great. But the minute that person wants to make money off someone elses product, then things change and the person who made it has a right to shut them down.

Why don't LETS PLAY people play the game for free? Why do they want money for it? No one ASKED them for their charity of free advertising. Corporations have PR departments for that and they can get it quite easily if they wanted to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@Chozofication said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Gamespot doesn't play the entire game and when they do show footage it's by permission from the publishers and dev.

Let's Play is an entirely different thing all together. Youtubers have to wake up and realize they live in the real world. Content is copy righted and they have no right to it unless it's given to them.

Fair use

"Examples of fair use include commentary"

Nothing else to discuss bub. This is Criminal of Nintendo in a lot of cases.

As I said, it would be right for Nintendo to do this if it was just the full game with no commentary. But clips, as you said, commentated videos, doesn't matter to Nintendo, you owe them money.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Capitan_Kid said:

Exactly. Nintendo defense force alive and well.

Common sense should prevail (despite what Nintendo wants). Let's think of it this way. How many people would watch a random nobody play through a game with ZERO commentary? Practically nobody, there is no value added. If these content creators have an audience, it is THEIR audience and they should get all of the ad royalties period. Money grubbing companies like Nintendo should just embrace it or fvck off IMO.

Of course, why this phenomenon exists in the first place is beyond my comprehension. I don't understand the concept of watching others play games via livestream.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59113 Posts

Maybe now: hideously obese men like totalbiscuit will get a real job instead of listening to his own voice.

Thank you blessed Nintendo.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Don't be crazy

How OLD is that game? No one cares.

Nintendo allows reviews of their games and THAT is what generates people to go buy it. They don't need a LETS PLAY to get that point across. A let's play is point black, putting an entire product out there for free.

Well obviously some did, or it wouldn't have sold more to begin with. I'm not sure what age has to do with anything. You should be able to see that this applies to many other games as well. Why do you think publishers like EA and Deep Silver are reaching out more to youtubers? They show off and tell more then most video and written reviews. Game journalism has a place, but some people prefer to see more of the game before they end up purchasing it.

Giantbomb did a playthrough of Persona 4, I watched the entire thing, but I still went out and bought the game. I would have never bought the game without actually seeing their endurance run. It was hard to convince me at all to play any JRPGs in the past until I actually saw a playthrough of one.

Also video games aren't movies. You can't interact with a movie. Everyone will have a different experience with a game when they play it.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Pretty awful. It deserves to be called out.

@2Chalupas said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

Exactly. Nintendo defense force alive and well.

Common sense should prevail (despite what Nintendo wants). Let's think of it this way. How many people would watch a random nobody play through a game with ZERO commentary? Practically nobody, there is no value added. If these content creators have an audience, it is THEIR audience and they should get all of the ad royalties period. Money grubbing companies like Nintendo should just embrace it or fvck off IMO.

Of course, why this phenomenon exists in the first place is beyond my comprehension. I don't understand the concept of watching others play games via livestream.

I agree. I don't watch Let's Play and I don't get it either. Spoils the game.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Don't be crazy

I can only speak for myself, but theres multiple times where I'll watch a lets play video to see if the game is any good. In many ways a lets play is the perfect review of a game. I only needed to watch 30 minutes of Space Engineers and the Long Dark lets plays to know I wanted to buy those games.

I can only remember one instance (Final Fantasy XIII) where a lets play actually turned me off a game enough where I no longer wanted to buy it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

This sucks. These guys are still living in the past and are narrow minded. Youtube and positive word of a mouth is new and great way of advertising the game for free.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bunchanumbers

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@bunchanumbers said:

I dunno. Sounds to me like I could play full movies if I toss in a couple comments like its a review and then I can play movies for everyone for free by this logic.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Nintendo proves once again that they have their heads up their asses.

Then you have Sheep actively defending censorship:

@bunchanumbers said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@bunchanumbers said:

I dunno. Sounds to me like I could play full movies if I toss in a couple comments like its a review and then I can play movies for everyone

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#50 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@Crossel777 said:

People calling it effortless have zero idea of the time and effort involved in actually editing videos. It's not something you can do simply within a couple of minutes or even a couple of hours. Sometimes it can take days or even weeks to finalize. Although that really depends on quality of the video. The likes of Angry Joes reviews, those take a lot of time. That guy works for his money. It's not the games he reviews that are making him money, it's him himself. His own self made character.

Totally agree. First they have to write script then memorize it. Then they do different takes on it. After that, comes the editing part and rest of the stuff that you mentioned. People think that it is easy to just play and shout on youtube and make money in the process, without breaking a sweat. They should try themselves and see how that turns out.