Ni No Kuni PS3 Demo impressions and thoughts?

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Watched the video and will DL soon.

Graphics, music, and world design / depth of features seems amazing all around, I just hope I like the combat (looks interesting, but we will see) and don't get too annoyed by the boy :P. I may end up loving him, I only listened to a tiny bit of it.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

The demo out:shock:

Another addition to my weekend checklist

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Need to try the demo out

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#54 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

2 minutes? That doesn't seem fair or logical

in any case, Ni No Kuni has some great potential, but it really is hard to tell with RPG demos. You really need to get the sense of the entire package. Demos can't capture that.

Pikminmaniac

If you don't like a game, why play it? The combat in DMC felt off, and I'm not going to play a game like that when the combat doesn't feel good.

But how can you truly know what a game offers if you don't give it a full chance. You might have missed something or maybe you were playing it without knowing all that you could do or how to handle situations in a certain way. IMHO it is impossible to get a proper impression of a game in less than 2 to 3 hours seriously playing it at the very least.

People arent givin a chance to DmC, really. Nothing we can say or they can do (like playing the demo and trying several different combos on SoS mode) will change their minds. As a DMC fan I get why they upset. I was too for a while. Now... my save file of the DmC demo says I've 3h24min of play. I've done some cool stuff with it. Is the combat as good as DMC3/4? No. Is it still good? Definitely YES!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
Will try demo tonight, buying it regardless.
rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#56 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts

One of my most anticipated games of 2013.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#57 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

The demo of Ni No Kuni was great and I'm not even that big of a JRPG fan. The Gibli "feeling" is definitely there and thats a BIG plus for me. It really makes me remember of Heidi.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
I like that it reminds me of Little Nemo, but at the same time, the gameplay just doesn't do it for me. The demo is really boring. To be fair though, most RPG demos are pretty boring.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#59 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

The demo of Ni No Kuni was great and I'm not even that big of a JRPG fan. The Gibli "feeling" is definitely there and thats a BIG plus for me. It really makes me remember of Heidi.

Vatusus

It made me remember the days when i played dragon quest 8 on the ps2, so much fun

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#60 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I guess I'll give the demo a try. I mean it has to be more fun to play than to watch...right?
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Vatusus

That's not positiveee!!!! :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyC66tVpcIc&feature=youtu.be&t=5m36s

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

sounds like everyone is liking everything but the gameplay, exactly what i expected, i will try it myself though.TheGuardian03

I knew the gameplay would be boring from the videos, but i will get it for the story and art than anything else

Still my top JRPG this generation is Lost Odyssey, by miles

Ni no Kuni is a very cute and artistic game though, so will be great

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 finalstar2007

Played the first half of the demo (the forest quest).

...I think I'd prefer this as a Ghibli film rather than a Level-5 JRPG. The production values are all there and the story sounds like it could be something special, but the gameplay's kinda boring. A little too slow-paced for my tastes. Maybe the volcano section will change my mind, but for now I find the battle system rather dull.

Slashkice

You have an odd taste, i thought the gameplay was just as good as everything else, the gameplay exceeded my expectations as i thought it might be confusing but it turned out to be well made and very easy to learn even without tutorials. Its been years since i had played a game like this.

Battle system gives us lots of freedom and that is something you rarely see nowadays, i like the fact that we can run aorund while in battle to avoid being hit and defend when needed not to mention the ability to heal outselvs from the bubbles on the ground if out of healing potions.

oh i pray this game will do very well for Namco so we can see a sequel for this game, Namco said a sequel will come if this game does well.

Second section is even better.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 finalstar2007

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

You have an odd taste, i thought the gameplay was just as good as everything else, the gameplay exceeded my expectations as i thought it might be confusing but it turned out to be well made and very easy to learn even without tutorials. Its been years since i had played a game like this.

Battle system gives us lots of freedom and that is something you rarely see nowadays, i like the fact that we can run aorund while in battle to avoid being hit and defend when needed not to mention the ability to heal outselvs from the bubbles on the ground if out of healing potions.

oh i pray this game will do very well for Namco so we can see a sequel for this game, Namco said a sequel will come if this game does well.

Slashkice

*shrugs* It's a different type of system, but I much prefer how the Tales games handle battle. Ni no Kuni's system is easy to learn like you said, but I think it's a little too easy. More complexity wouldn't hurt it. I'm still interested in trying that second section later though.

Complexity will turn people off, i dont think people nowadays handle complexity, look at FFXIII they tried to do something new and original with the battle system but as always with the gaming community everyone started complaining and hating on it. Complexity dont work anymore, keep it simple and quick to learn i'd say but the game does get a little tricky and complex with the Second section.. you'll see

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
Downloading now! I hope the game is really good. Been craving something like this! I can't wait for Dragon Quest X for WiiU.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 NaveedLife

huh. All the gameplay complaints have me worried. Looked decent by the video you posted, and I figured it will get more complex and fun later, but maybe not.

I still think Baten Kaitos Origins has one of the most fun and unique battle systems in a JRPG :).

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#70 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

finalstar2007

*shrugs* It's a different type of system, but I much prefer how the Tales games handle battle. Ni no Kuni's system is easy to learn like you said, but I think it's a little too easy. More complexity wouldn't hurt it. I'm still interested in trying that second section later though.

Complexity will turn people off, i dont think people nowadays handle complexity, look at FFXIII they tried to do something new and original with the battle system but as always with the gaming community everyone started complaining and hating on it. Complexity dont work anymore, keep it simple and quick to learn i'd say but the game does get a little tricky and complex with the Second section.. you'll see

FFXIII's battle system is not complex.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 GreySeal9

huh. All the gameplay complaints have me worried. Looked decent by the video you posted, and I figured it will get more complex and fun later, but maybe not.

I still think Baten Kaitos Origins has one of the most fun and unique battle systems in a JRPG :).

NaveedLife

The art design in Baten Kaitos is gorgeous; it has a little bit of a Chrono Cross feeling to it. And like you said, the battle system looks really interesting. Voice acting is balls tho.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

GreySeal9

Auto attack FTW!
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GreySeal9

Just looked at some footage of this. Art design is fvcking gorgeous, but the gameplay looks really mediocre, like an afterthought almost.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

finalstar2007

Are you kidding? Ff13 was not complex.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

RyanShazam

Auto attack FTW!

Yeah, it's pretty hard to argue a system is complex when the only thing you really have to do is set up some workable paradigms and shift them at the right times.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Auto attack FTW!

Yeah, it's pretty hard to argue a system is complex when the only thing you really have to do is set up some workable paradigms and shift them at the right times.

I forgot what it's called. I think Libra but it's the ability that scans the enemy so the Auto Attack knows what to use. You also have to use that a couple of times. Lol
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 finalstar2007

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

RyanShazam

Auto attack FTW!

Did you play FFXIII or FFXIII-2? is not easy to win with just auto attack.. you have to make your own attacks and keep switching and changing lol.. many people complained about how complex it was when it really wasnt.

give them complexity= complaining.

give them simplicity= commplaining or some would compare anything easy to CoD when CoD isnt even easy.

ah gaming community what to do :P

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 finalstar2007

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

ninjapirate2000

Are you kidding? Ff13 was not complex.

Well when it came out i still remember people saying how comlex the battle system was.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"] Auto attack FTW!RyanShazam

I forgot what it's called. I think Libra but it's the ability that scans the enemy so the Auto Attack knows what to use. You also have to use that a couple of times. Lol

I think you're correct about the name.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 finalstar2007

Just looked at some footage of this. Art design is fvcking gorgeous, but the gameplay looks really mediocre, like an afterthought almost.

GreySeal9

You got to play it yourself and see how fun it is.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 RyanShazam

finalstar2007

Auto attack FTW!

Did you play FFXIII or FFXIII-2? is not easy to win with just auto attack.. you have to make your own attacks and keep switching and changing lol.. many people complained about how complex it was when it really wasnt.

give them simplicity= commplaining or some would compare anything easy to CoD when CoD isnt even easy.

I've only played 13 and got about 20 hours in lol The entire game all I used was that scanning ability and auto attack (whcich would then choose the most effective attack) with the occasional paradigm switch.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 GreySeal9

finalstar2007

Auto attack FTW!

You don't have to make your own attacks whatsoever. Actually, it's actually a detriment in battle to take the time to string together your own attacks. It's much easier to use auto battle and the game doesn't give you a single reason to string together your own attacks. I liked some things about the FFXIII system, but let's be real: you don't have to make your own attacks.

Also, people are not just complaining about simplicity for the sake of complaining about simplicity. It seems that some people just don't find this game's combat to be engaging.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

I've only played 13 and got about 20 hours in lol The entire game all I used was that scanning ability and auto attack (whcich would then choose the most effective attack) with the occasional paradigm switch.

I've played the whole thing. You don't ever have to string together your own attacks. It actually doesn't make sense to. The computer is extremely smart and always picks good attacks and spells.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 finalstar2007

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

You must have been pretty lucky then i dont know :P, i had trouble with many bosses in that game, auto attacks were useless ( but seeing how you didnt say you beat the game im assuming you must be in an early stage of the game and is why you havent had any troubles yet)

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 finalstar2007

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"] Auto attack FTW!GreySeal9

You don't have to make your own attacks whatsoever. Actually, it's actually a detriment in battle to take the time to string together your own attacks. It's much easier to use auto battle and the game doesn't give you a single reason to string together your own attacks. I liked some things about the FFXIII system, but let's be real: you don't have to make your own attacks.

Also, people are not just complaining about simplicity for the sake of complaining about simplicity. It seems that some people just don't find this game's combat to be engaging.

Thats pretty understandable then.. overall next year shaping up to be a much better year than this year in terms of movies, games and TV shows ( walking dead ftw)

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"][QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

GreySeal9

I've played the whole thing. You don't ever have to string together your own attacks. It actually doesn't make sense to. The computer is extremely smart and always picks good attacks and spells.

Yeah you would be worse off selecting your own attacks. Auto Battle always gave the best option for the situation. If enemies where grouped together it would use the most affective AOE attack. If they were separated it would select the best few attacks for that one enemy. There was never a need for selecting your own attacks.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 GreySeal9

finalstar2007

You must have been pretty lucky then i dont know :P, i had trouble with many bosses in that game, auto attacks were useless ( but seeing how you didnt say you beat the game im assuming you must be in an early stage of the game and is why you havent had any troubles yet)

There were some challenging boss fights, but they could all be easily beaten with auto attack. Actually, not using auto attack would make them harder because of how fast battles unfolded in that game.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 RyanShazam

finalstar2007

You have to use Libra first. Once an enemy is scanned auto attack did all the work.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

finalstar2007

Thats pretty understandable then.. overall next year shaping up to be a much better year than this year in terms of movies, games and TV shows ( walking dead ftw)

Well, even if the combat turns out to be boring, I think the game is worth a look anyhow. Not often that console JRPGS come out, especially not ones with such gorgeous art. Braverly Default is another one worth a look.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"] I've only played 13 and got about 20 hours in lol The entire game all I used was that scanning ability and auto attack (whcich would then choose the most effective attack) with the occasional paradigm switch. GreySeal9

There were some challenging boss fights, but they could all be easily beaten with auto attack. Actually, not using auto attack would make them harder because of how fast battles unfolded in that game.

The game came down to the paradigm shift system. Shifting at the wrong time can mess you up in some fights lol
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

finalstar2007

Yeah, your sig has some great games on PS3 alone :)

Almost definitely buying The Last of US, God of War IV, and Tales of Xillia.

I am very interested in Ni No Kuni and Sly 4. I need to play my Sly collection before I know if Sly 4 is as great as it looks.

Beyond will probably be great as well.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

RyanShazam

The game came down to the paradigm shift system. Shifting at the wrong time can mess you up in some fights lol

Yeah, it did introduce some strategy. The paradigm shift was one of my favorite things about the battle system. I just wish it had a little bit more meat and it would have been nice if the stagger system had been adjusted. It seemed like the battles dragged on way too fvcking long.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

I really liked the demo

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Only tried it very shortly, keeping the world map exploration from the first scenario to a minimum for surprise and as for the second scenario having the chance to use more familiar was interesting, the snow one is so powerful but takes like 163k exp to level up.

I did not finish the second scenario, really just wanted to try out the battle system but overall, i'm still as interested as i was months ago, picking it up next month for sure.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

GreySeal9

I actually got opposite resutls. If i auto attacked the cpu would pick crappy attacks. I basicly never used auto attack again after that.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

Terrible game.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#97 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I REALLY like this game!

Visually the game is very impressive, I love the art direction and even though I may not be a fan of anime/cartoon character models, they still look good. In terms of gameplay it's like an old school RPG, this is what Final Fantasy should be like. Take note Square, Ni no Kuni is how you make a great RPG.

I will definitely be buying this game later.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"] I've only played 13 and got about 20 hours in lol The entire game all I used was that scanning ability and auto attack (whcich would then choose the most effective attack) with the occasional paradigm switch. finalfantasy94

I actually got opposite resutls. If i auto attacked the cpu would pick crappy attacks. I basicly never used auto attack again after that.

once you scan an enemy with Libra, auto attack uses the most effective attack possible on that enemy.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I played a little bit of it today and beat the guardian. I liked what I played and love the artstyle of the game. I will be keeping an eye on this one.